• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeLorean comes back from the future with Alpha5 (electric car)

DeLorean’s upcoming Alpha5 electric car will make its public debut at the Pebble Beach car show in August. The model emerged as a digital illustration on Monday, accompanied by broad technical goals for a machine not expected to reach production until 2024.

Its four-seat interior takes inspiration from modern Mercedes models, combining a digital driver readout with a large touchscreen rising from the centre console.

DeLorean chief executive Joost de Vries, a former Tesla executive, told UK outlet Autocar that the brand had plans to expand beyond the Alpha5 to offer a V8-powered coupe as well as family-friendly models. “We need an SUV for volume”, de Vries told Autocar.

“The business case is an SUV that will be launched very quickly after we launch our halo car, but we need that halo car first.”

Renders of the car due to be unveiled in August apparently.

b5d4f6939426d1bb1910dcbaa217a760

1fa9a26f01b9f06731d1f736798b2fcf

9136ee8f266cf09f0b1369e62c0c44e8

JayK47

Love all of these super expensive electric cars we are told we all need to buy. I'll admit it looks cool, but I have my doubts it will ever come to be. There are a lot of up and coming electric cars supposedly coming from all of these newcomers. It will be interesting to see if they end up happening or not.

Tentative price is 175k btw.
Woah. Lambo territory. Stupid.

DeLoreans were notorious pieces of absolute shit. I'd rather buy and toss random disposable Kia vehicles as needed than throw money at this.
Park it right next to the old MG cars. Stylish but garbage to keep running.

Love all of these super expensive electric cars we are told we all need to buy. I'll admit it looks cool, but I have my doubts it will ever come to be. There are a lot of up and coming electric cars supposedly coming from all of these newcomers. It will be interesting to see if they end up happening or not.
It's mental how expensive they can be. Our second car is on its last legs, we've been running that thing for ages and my father in law mechanic just keeps it trucking. So we're in the market soon to replace that short trips and hardly used dash around car. We then look at prices of EVs to run off our solar panels and fuck me down under it ain't pretty. AUD$40K for the cheapest shitbox that plugins in, it's petrol model is $26K, cunts. Telsa's start at $70-80K and you're not getting one for years anyway. Now with petrol prices and energy prices skyrocketing in Aus it's going to be a huge run on solar panel installs and electric vehicles. People have been selling their electrics second hand for $10Ks more than they paid in the last year alone because asshats just want to go electric now. We're waiting that shit out a bit, hoping the model 2 from Tesla drops at something reasonable in Aus, we hardly use that second car.

You guys should watch the documentary. Guy was a total scammer.

Nice, thanks mate. Will check it out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Woah. Lambo territory. Stupid.

Park it right next to the old MG cars. Stylish but garbage to keep running.

It's mental how expensive they can be. Our second car is on its last legs, we've been running that thing for ages and my father in law mechanic just keeps it trucking. So we're in the market soon to replace that short trips and hardly used dash around car. We then look at prices of EVs to run off our solar panels and fuck me down under it ain't pretty. AUD$40K for the cheapest shitbox that plugins in, it's petrol model is $26K, cunts. Telsa's start at $70-80K and you're not getting one for years anyway. Now with petrol prices and energy prices skyrocketing in Aus it's going to be a huge run on solar panel installs and electric vehicles. People have been selling their electrics second hand for $10Ks more than they paid in the last year alone because asshats just want to go electric now. We're waiting that shit out a bit, hoping the model 2 from Tesla drops at something reasonable in Aus, we hardly use that second car.

Nice, thanks mate. Will check it out.
EV cars IMO are purely for environmental concerns.

Whether you save money or not is hit and miss pending which car you get, how much you drive and how much you get burned with repairs outside of warranty. Some sites say EV is cheaper, some say gas is cheaper.

But one thing that is a definite absolute is the EV car will cost more upfront to buy. Whether you make it all back or not over 5 or 10 years is maybe yes, maybe no.

EV cars IMO are purely for environmental concerns.

Whether you save money or not is hit and miss pending which car you get, how much you drive and how much you get burned with repairs outside of warranty. Some sites say EV is cheaper, some say gas is cheaper.

But one thing that is a definite absolute is the EV car will cost more upfront to buy. Whether you make it all back or not over 5 or 10 years is maybe yes, maybe no.

Given the servicing is far less with electric and we run our own solar already I think if we get the entry price right we'll be coasting on savings reasonably quick. I do wonder how long the service life is for the EV batteries. You can run a combustion car a bloody long time, decades and decades. I doubt the batteries in most EVs are going to be doing that well 1-2 decades later.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They are not.
dSOJcZZ.jpg

Some are more and they have gone up in price recently but I actually looked at buying one not to long ago. They are affordable.
I'm talking about a new one. You can buy them, they have the parts and will assemble you one on order.

Doesn't look unique for that price tag and the amount of vehicles they're going to build.

This needed a very unique design. Not a run of the mill concept EV with sloping roofline, squinty headlights and taillights, rounded corners, bulging rear quarters and a large diffuser.

An angular design based off the original with a few modern tweaks would have been far more attractive. This could easily be mistaken for a Lucid Air.

Very disappointed.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

What is a nice car, that I can save it for future purchase? Anything above 30k is impossible for me.
For real? Not much. The Chevy spark is the cheapest new car I believe at 15k and a lot of cars that used to be cheap were made a lot more expensive. I have a Nissan versa and those are starting around 20k now when they ain't worth that much.

kingfey

Banned
For real? Not much. The Chevy spark is the cheapest new car I believe at 15k and a lot of cars that used to be cheap were made a lot more expensive. I have a Nissan versa and those are starting around 20k now when they ain't worth that much.
I am on weight loss journey now. So once I hit my 200lb target, I would want to congratulate myself with a new car.

Nissan versa seems nice. I had nissan maxima 1996. It broke down on the bottom, and had to auctioned sadly. Would a nice set for my new look in the future.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I am on weight loss journey now. So once I hit my 200lb target, I would want to congratulate myself with a new car.

Nissan versa seems nice. I had nissan maxima 1996. It broke down on the bottom, and had to auctioned sadly. Would a nice set for my new look in the future.
don’t reward yourself with a bottom barrel POS car, that’s a punishment not a reward.

kingfey

Banned
don’t reward yourself with a bottom barrel POS car, that’s a punishment not a reward.
I am very selective with cars.

My current car is chevvy hhr 2006, which I got it for $1200. Was sitting on a water, fix it for cheap, and now I have been using it for 4 years. Very cheap to fix it.

This time, I want to behave like my age. For a 25 years old guy, its not good to have old cars sometimes.

Droxcy

Cannot wait for 10+ years from now for EVs to be super decked out with features and affordable hopefully our infrastructure keeps up

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
A friend used to own a DeLorean, we would get comments everywhere we drove, it got annoying pretty quick and he got rid of it.

Top Bottom