• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Havok

Foliorum Viridum said:
I always have the Hercules ring, so that's not an issue for me.
Yeah, that'd definitely work. I just felt like it was always a waste of a slot when I could be increasing my damage/hit or health on one slot and I refused to take off the Thief's Ring on the other. Saved my life so many times.
barnone said:
Wheres a good place to farm arrows or souls to buy them? I have only completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. The witches in 3-1 are frustrating me with melee.

Edit: any advice for getting the crystal lizard in 1-2? With thiefs ring it runs away as soon as I step into the doorway.
Farm 4-2's grim reaper with fire damage for souls (~5500 for about a minute of work), then either buy from Blige in 4-1 or 4-2, or if you've killed 3 archdemons, white arrows from Patches the Hyena do crazy damage.

oracrest

barnone said:
Wheres a good place to farm arrows or souls to buy them? I have only completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. The witches in 3-1 are frustrating me with melee.

Edit: any advice for getting the crystal lizard in 1-2? With thiefs ring it runs away as soon as I step into the doorway.

I always attack crystal lizards two handed style. Your attack reaches lower than single handed, and you don't miss them as much. Also, keep in mind that you can still hit the lizard as long as your lock-on it engaged, even for a second after they burrow and disappear. This will pop them back up again, and they're toast.

theta11

Foliorum Viridum said:
The durability is better, but the defense for my Brushwood Armour is much better, other than against fire and magic but that isn't too much of a difference.

The best armor in the game for males is King Doran's armor, and the best armor for female characters is Miralda's Binded Set.

Defense as a stat in this game is negligible since so few things actually do physical defense only. In New Game+ and onwards Magic and Fire damage from certain enemies are capable of 1 shotting you with 40 Vitality. The best defense in the game is offense which is why most high level players don't carry shields.

Johnas said:
There's a guy you can rescue in 4-1 who will then sell you arrows.

h.
wow thanks for reminding me. I have no idea how many times i've ran by him once he's a vendor and forgotten than you can get arrows for cheap from him.

i've been paying the 20 souls per arrow in the nexus for god knows how long :(

theta11 said:
The best defense in the game is offense which is why most high level players don't carry shields.

I've been wondering what was up with that.

guess I can drop off my shields....

haha kidding as my dude is mainly melee shifting over into magic. would get roasted if i left my shield at home.

LogicStep

How long until I start getting some good loot like cool looking armor and good items? I was at the top level looking at the top players and some of them look insanely cool! I'm getting the vibe that this game doesn't have much loot :(... Just beat the
Armored Spider
had to use arrows, thankfully I had enough to kill the boss. That seemed like the easiest way of doing it.

theta11 said:
The best armor in the game for males is King Doran's armor, and the best armor for female characters is Miralda's Binded Set.

Defense as a stat in this game is negligible since so few things actually do physical defense only. In New Game+ and onwards Magic and Fire damage from certain enemies are capable of 1 shotting you with 40 Vitality. The best defense in the game is offense which is why most high level players don't carry shields.

Basically any armor that allows you to roll faster and move faster is better, I was using heavy armor for NG and the most part of NG+ and I think I can't go back having slower movement, makes a lot of difference in some bosses and other enemies.

And shields will be forever with me in PvE, in PvP you shouldn't care, yeah.

zazrx said:
How long until I start getting some good loot like cool looking armor and good items? I was at the top level looking at the top players and some of them look insanely cool! I'm getting the vibe that this game doesn't have much loot :(... Just beat the
Armored Spider
had to use arrows, thankfully I had enough to kill the boss. That seemed like the easiest way of doing it.

It dosn't have that low loot, yeah by standards maybe, still there's decent amount.

Armors: in 3-1 you find one heavy armor set sand light armors.1-2 merchant sells you another basic set armor. 5-1/5-2 old woman sells 2 set of heavy armors, but they are a bit expensive in NG.But the best looking armors you'll get it by killing some NPC's.

And some of the best items can only be found with changing world tendencies, might want to check that in some wiki.

LogicStep

I must say, I just had my first experience with a Blue Phantom, that was pretty cool. I saw the blue marking so I tried it just to see what would happen. I summoned him in 1-2 and he helped me kill the boss.. well he killed the boss, I just tried to tickle him.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just killed Old King Doran and his armour was worse than the one I have. Lame.

This game doesn't have enough loot, I've been using the same armour, shield and sword for 80% of the game now.

It should also be mentioned that the Ancient King's Armor does NOT decrease your stamina regen like the other heavy/medium armor sets do. Which is huge when it comes to PVP. Brushwood in particular decreases your stamina regen by the most regardless of your endurance stat.

patsu

zazrx said:
I must say, I just had my first experience with a Blue Phantom, that was pretty cool. I saw the blue marking so I tried it just to see what would happen. I summoned him in 1-2 and he helped me kill the boss.. well he killed the boss, I just tried to tickle him.

I only summoned a Blue Phantom once. For some strange reason, I just couldn't get the 2-3 boss timing right that day. When he found out I didn't know what I was doing, the Blue Phantom took the lead and sacrificed himself to distract the boss. T_T

I almost made it to the last checkpoint before getting punched to oblivion. T_T
So sorry to let him down. After that, I never summon another dude to help.

LogicStep

I'm playing 3-1 and I got the whole black leather armor set off a dead body. Feels so much better to be able to jump around so freely.

Question: how do I know when I should stop upgrading a weapon to use a new one? Right now I'm still using the Winged Spear +4 and I believe I read I need to get it to +6 so I can upgrade it to the Moon Spear. I guess what I'm wondering is if that Moon Spear is going to be worth it or if I should just keep it like it is and get something better soon? I'm going to follow the above poster's order so now I'm heading to 4-1.

Johnas

Leechmonger finally goes down. 5-1 was such a relative cakewalk in the regular game. Currently at SL86.

Not really looking forward to Flamelurker and Maneater in NG+.

To the dudes that finished the game at SL1, I tip my hat.

zazrx said:
I'm playing 3-1 and I got the whole black leather armor set off a dead body. Feels so much better to be able to jump around so freely.

If you're OK with having no extra defense, try playing a little with no armor at all, your character will be extremely agile by comparison. That may be similar to your black leather though, I haven't worn that set.

Broseybrose

I - along with many others - have been calling Demon's Souls GOTGenereation since 2009.

It even wedged its way into my All-Time Top 3 - Deus Ex, Super Metroid, Demon's Souls - knocking STALKER: SoC to #4.

Johnas said:
If you're OK with having no extra defense, try playing a little with no armor at all, your character will be extremely agile by comparison. That may be similar to your black leather though, I haven't worn that set.

black leather is great. lightest set in the game iirc, with poison resist. my default set when i'm not aiming for something specific.

LogicStep

I just made a new game to try a different approach using a caster oriented character. I don't know but it feels much more powerful from the get go. Fun stuff.

zazrx said:
I just made a new game to try a different approach using a caster oriented character. I don't know but it feels much more powerful from the get go. Fun stuff.
Yeah... I'm going to finish my current playthrough but then I think I'm going to make a new game with a magic oriented person.

Melee is fun and all I Just feel Its making This game that much harder
Might as well have a go with full out bow/magic before I start the NG+ with my melee guy.

Going to start playing this again today. I first imported it from somewhere in Asia, then got the LE when it released in the US and then the Black Phantom Edition when it released here in Europe. I've only played it to about 1/3 complete 3-4 times though.

Time to master it so I can stick with the community when Dark Souls releases.

Einbroch said:
So this game is amazing. I take back everything I said. My God...so good. So. Good.
Never thought I would see this after reading all those post you said about DS. Glad to see you are enjoying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I stopped playing this early last year because I got distracted with other games. I was on my second playthrough. I decided to pop it back in with all the Dark Souls news.

It's been so long that it took me a while to realize what my gameplan was. I think I was just harvesting all kinds of stones to get the weapon trophies. Either way, it feels so good to be back in Boleteria! I'd almost forgotten how much atmosphere this game has. Just played through all of World 3 again, and loved every terrifying second of it. Oh, how I've missed you, Dragon Bone Smasher.

So, at this point, I need a Pure Bladestone and a Pure Moonstone. Any tips on acquiring these? I read the wiki, and these definitely seem to be the two hardest stones to come by.

GuardianE said:
I stopped playing this early last year because I got distracted with other games. I was on my second playthrough. I decided to pop it back in with all the Dark Souls news.

It's been so long that it took me a while to realize what my gameplan was. I think I was just harvesting all kinds of stones to get the weapon trophies. Either way, it feels so good to be back in Boleteria! I'd almost forgotten how much atmosphere this game has. Just played through all of World 3 again, and loved every terrifying second of it. Oh, how I've missed you, Dragon Bone Smasher.

So, at this point, I need a Pure Bladestone and a Pure Moonstone. Any tips on acquiring these? I read the wiki, and these definitely seem to be the two hardest stones to come by.
Do a youtube search for the Pure Bladestone PBWT 4-2 run. It takes about a minute and a half per run. Just make sure you have the Soul sucker spell. Makes it a LOT easier.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Solstice said:
Do a youtube search for the Pure Bladestone PBWT 4-2 run. It takes about a minute and a half per run. Just make sure you have the Soul sucker spell. Makes it a LOT easier.

I thought Soul Sucker just yielded more souls?
Also, I don't think I can, since I chose the bad ending on the first playthrough

Should I increase my luck? I have the Large Sword of Searching. I'm not sure how much that helps.

I'm pretty intimidated that people have tried to get it for 100's of hours unsuccessfully.

GuardianE said:
I thought Soul Sucker just yielded more souls?
Also, I don't think I can, since I chose the bad ending on the first playthrough

Should I increase my luck? I have the Large Sword of Searching. I'm not sure how much that helps.

I'm pretty intimidated that people have tried to get it for 100's of hours unsuccessfully.
You're thinking of Soul Thirst. Soulsucker kills any non-boss instantly. And to get it
you need to give the Maiden in Black's soul to Yuria the Witch. You should have her soul if you got the bad ending.

Don't worry about the LSoS. That only increases the amount of drops, not the rarity. As long as your luck is DECENT, you should get a drop every time. You just have to keep doing it until you get that pure. It took me about 50 runs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Solstice said:
You're thinking of Soul Thirst. Soulsucker kills any non-boss instantly. And to get it
you need to give the Maiden in Black's soul to Yuria the Witch. You should have her soul if you got the bad ending.

Don't worry about the LSoS. That only increases the amount of drops, not the rarity. As long as your luck is DECENT, you should get a drop every time. You just have to keep doing it until you get that pure. It took me about 50 runs.

Aw man, I already used that soul for Soul Thirst (for grinding purposes) I think. Ah well. I don't think it should be too bad with a DBS+CW backstab. What's decent luck? I really don't think I put any points into it at all :\

GuardianE said:
Aw man, I already used that soul for Soul Thirst. Ah well. I don't think it should be too bad with a DBS+CW backstab. What's decent luck? I really don't think I put any points into it at all :\
Good luck with that. Seriously, man. That skeleton in PBWT is like the wrath of an angry god. He don't fuck around, man.

Question for you Magic people that started out magic only.

How did yall refill yalls magic before you made it to levels that had Fresh Spice in them?

When I start over with a magic character i feel like I need some advice on how to recharge MP without fresh spice

EDIT*** I also feel like I messed up on leveling up my character as I've been putting souls into 5 or so of the stats but when I got on that wiki site... i noticed most people only have all their points in 2 or sometimes 3.

daffy

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Question for you Magic people that started out magic only.

How did yall refill yalls magic before you made it to levels that had Fresh Spice in them?

When I start over with a magic character i feel like I need some advice on how to recharge MP without fresh spice

EDIT*** I also feel like I messed up on leveling up my character as I've been putting souls into 5 or so of the stats but when I got on that wiki site... i noticed most people only have all their points in 2 or sometimes 3.
I believe Royal class has a fragrant ring that recovers MP a little at a time. That's how I did it my first playthrough.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Solstice said:
Good luck with that. Seriously, man. That skeleton in PBWT is like the wrath of an angry god. He don't fuck around, man.

Heh, like I said I haven't played in a while. I don't remember him being that bad, but then again this is NG+ and I'm rusty. Well, I guess I'll just have to persevere unless someone has a maxed Sharp weapon I can hold... anyoooonee? :p

EDIT: I just realized that the Yellow Soul gives Soul Thirst. I should still have the other soul I need for Soul Sucker, I think. I just need to save Yuria first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MidnightRider said:
What about the magician class as I feel that's what I want to play with?

Royal probably makes for a better magician. :p Your starting class dictates your starting points and equipment. Nothing else. Your magician could become a bruising tank or a thief in the end.

If you're near the beginning and not playing as a Royal, you have to use Magic sparingly. Or get to a point where you can get spices, or MP regen rings.

daffy

Banned
MidnightRider said:
What about the magician class as I feel that's what I want to play with?
Magician class has no regen, its also a very hard class to start with, as they have very low defense. Their plus is that they start off with two spells (Flame Toss and uhhhh Water Veil I think) already learned.

Royalty is a much better class for magic users. Although you still need to buy spells, you have the Soul Arrow anyway.

FTH said:
Magician class has no regen, its also a very hard class to start with, as they have very low defense. Their plus is that they start off with two spells (Flame Toss and uhhhh Water Veil I think) already learned.

Royalty is a much better class for magic users. Although you still need to buy spells, you have the Soul Arrow anyway.

Yeah I was just shying away from Royal as I've heard that is "easy" mode enabled and as i'm already half way into the game as a knight... i would rather make it harder on myself than easier.

(if you wanna call it that using magic haha)

full melee until lately has been pretty tough

LogicStep

MidnightRider said:
Yeah I was just shying away from Royal as I've heard that is "easy" mode enabled and as i'm already half way into the game as a knight... i would rather make it harder on myself than easier.

You saw that I said I started again right? I chose Royal and yeah, its easy mode lol. You can still get destroyed though.

I'll probably keep playing my other guy, melee it up and add some faith spells to him so he will be some sort of a paladin. Sucks because You have to put souls into a lot of stats as melee like vit, endurance, str, dex, and now I'll have to raise my int and faith to 20 and 16 at least, that is a huge spread of stats :(.

Question: I'm looking online and for me to get the three corner hat I need Pure White World Tendency on level 3. How should I go about this? Should I kill myself in the Nexus and play in soul form the whole time I'm in there? This whole tendency stuff makes no sense to me. And I can't tell by looking at the screen what my tendency is.

Another question: Is it possible for me and a friend to play together or does the game pick at random who gets to join your game?

I have the speedrun of Demon Souls downloaded already to watch after I finish the game, but now I must go on Youtube to find a playthrough on level 1 to watch as well!

It's got to the point (level 9x) where it takes about 70k souls to level up, so between now and the end of the game I don't think I'm going to get too many more stats! I only need to finish off 1-4, 3-3/4 and 5-2/3/4 though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MidnightRider said:

Royal is easy mode. I chose Soldier myself. Just continue as a knight, then. No reason to switch to magic. I haven't used a single spell outside of buffs and AMF. :)

zazrx said:
Question: I'm looking online and for me to get the three corner hat I need Pure White World Tendency on level 3. How should I go about this? Should I kill myself in the Nexus and play in soul form the whole time I'm in there? This whole tendency stuff makes no sense to me. And I can't tell by looking at the screen what my tendency is.

Yes, you shouldn't die at all in human form for the world you want PWWT for. Kill yourself in the Nexus, or another world where you want Black Tendency. I think killing certain Black Phantoms may also raise the tendency? Note that the tendency only changes once you exit to the Nexus and reenter the world.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
zazrx said:

There's another way to go about it OFFLINE, but it involves going to PBWT and killing off the
primeval demon (+3WT) and black phantom special NPC(+3WT)
. Then you only need to kill one boss for PW. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but it's probably the best way to get all the tendency events in one run (as it works in all worlds).

LogicStep

I see, thanks. Damn I was looking on the wiki and to get the hat I need Pure White but to get some awesome staff I need Pure Black in the same stage. I think the only other way for me to get the hat is to kill Yuria I think, any downside to killing her? I can't seem to find anything on that.

Zoe

zazrx said:
I see, thanks. Damn I was looking on the wiki and to get the hat I need Pure White but to get some awesome staff I need Pure Black in the same stage. I think the only other way for me to get the hat is to kill Yuria I think, any downside to killing her? I can't seem to find anything on that.

If you want an easy way to kill Maneater she's pretty important...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zazrx said:

If you've learned everything you can from her, then no, I don't believe there's a downside. You may want to simply do it right before you finish the game.

Zoe

MidnightRider said:
Wait a second.... I killed maneater.... and i've got no clue who she is???? I don't think I've even met her?

She's a witch. You can one-shot a lot of enemies (including Maneater) with one of her spells.

Zoe said:
She's a witch. You can one-shot a lot of enemies (including Maneater) with one of her spells.
o rly now?

yeah I haven't done 1-3 yet.

It's first on my list for tonight though.

fuck i need to finish this play-through so i can focus my time on studying for a test i'm taking (for work...)

LogicStep

So what's the easiest way to go Pure Black in stage 3? Die in body form? So I have to use up those stones to resurrect and die over and over? Anyone know how many times you need to die before you get Pure Black?

Top Bottom