• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zazrx said:
So what's the easiest way to go Pure Black in stage 3? Die in body form? So I have to use up those stones to resurrect and die over and over? Anyone know how many times you need to die before you get Pure Black?

Yes, die in body form over and over. Make sure to return to the Nexus each time you die so that each death darkens the world tendency. I think it takes maybe 6-7 deaths? You should make sure you have plenty of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes just to make sure.

LogicStep

GuardianE said:
Yes, die in body form over and over. Make sure to return to the Nexus each time you die so that each death darkens the world tendency. I think it takes maybe 6-7 deaths? You should make sure you have plenty of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes just to make sure.
And for going White? I want to go White for the other stages. Just go and kill bosses in soul form?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
zazrx said:
And for going White? I want to go White for the other stages. Just go and kill bosses in soul form?

Yep. Kill bosses in soul form and don't die in body form in those worlds. Depending on where you are upon starting (neutral or more white), it could take you killing every boss. It's really tricky because I think you need to kill two bosses to get to pure white from Neutral, but I'm not certain of that.

Sword Familiar mentioned this earlier. I know there's a guide to get both PWWT and PBWT in one playthrough. It usually involves getting the entire world in PB, killing the Primeval Demon, select Black Phantoms, and a boss to get to PW.

LogicStep

GuardianE said:
Yep. Kill bosses in soul form and don't die in body form in those worlds. Depending on where you are upon starting (neutral or more white), it could take you killing every boss. It's really tricky because I think you need to kill two bosses to get to pure white from Neutral, but I'm not certain of that.

Sword Familiar mentioned this earlier. I know there's a guide to get both PWWT and PBWT in one playthrough. It usually involves getting the entire world in PB, killing the Primeval Demon, select Black Phantoms, and a boss to get to PW.
I see, thanks for all of the info, sorry to be asking so many noob questions. I'm just in love with this game, I seriously have just been playing non stop since I got it.

BTW yeah 2 boss kills. I just killed the second boss and I'm Pure White in the first stage. Going for the PW even in 1-1.

zazrx said:
Anyone else having a flaky connection to the Demon's Souls servers?

I have over the past few days... I will be connected to the server... and then all of a sudden i'm not connected to the server anymore. The thing is it never tells me i'm disconnected. I just tend to notice there are no messages/white souls and quit game and start over.

Vitten

JackSmithy said:
what weapons did you choose to go through with as a lvl 1?

I've done it as well. Even went one further and finished NG+ with my lvl 1 just for the hell of it.
My weapons were the crescent falchion ( upgraded to +5) , the shortbow (upgraded to sticky+5), soul arrow and poison cloud. NG wasn't that hard but for NG+ I had to use every cheese tactic in the book for the bosses and mostly just speedran through the levels ignoring the ennemies when possible.

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
what weapons did you choose to go through with as a lvl 1?

I think I have scimitar +8. Canova's dare was all melee, no spells. I think I'm using the black leather armor, and short bow. And soldier's shield.

I needed to use the ring of giant strength to equip some of my stuff.

Congrats on level 1 NG+ playthrough! I'm still stuck on Phalanx, lol, but haven't really tried to go through again.

edit:
zazrx said:
Anyone else having a flaky connection to the Demon's Souls servers?

If you're trying to manipulate world tendency, you probably want to play offline, or the game may work against you. also, you will need 7 stones to go from full white to full black, but your game might already be set lower than that to start. After dying, you will need to go back to the Nexus to have those deaths count, and world tendency get shifted. So do it one by one, and keep going back to the Nexus and checking your tendency in the menu.

theta11

I haven't done a level 1 playthrough but I've done a level 4 (Temple Knight) playthrough since I really don't like Royals. Used Blessed Mace then updraded to Dragon Halberd.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
motherfucker king allant destroys me again. on the day that i beat this asshole i'm going to just beat off in front of the tv displaying his dead corpse

He disappears when he dies, so even when he loses he wins. :p

theta11 said:
I haven't done a level 1 playthrough but I've done a level 4 (Temple Knight) playthrough since I really don't like Royals. Used Blessed Mace then updraded to Dragon Halberd.

He disappears when he dies, so even when he loses he wins. :p

damn you demons souls!

LogicStep

So I'm in 1-3 just minding my business when someone invaded my world. We fought for a while until I caught him off guard. That was satisfying as hell, more than killing bosses. This PVP is awesome!!

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
I can't find a lvl1 playthrough on Youtube :( Would really love to watch one too now you guys mentioned it!

The final battle was pretty intense. You pretty much can't get hit once.

MidnightRider said:
Where did you download the speed run from?
SpeedDemosArchive. That's the only site you ever need for speedruns :)

I can't wait to finish the game so I can watch it - he does it in an hour. :|

oracrest said:
The final battle was pretty intense. You pretty much can't get hit once.
Yeah, I can imagine it would be one of the most impressive things I've ever seen, hence my disappointment!

Edit: I kinda found one here, but it says procesing after a year, so I doubt it will ever work :(

oracrest

Er, looks like I actually used Yurt's armor for her, not the black leather armor... Maybe a combination of Yurt's breastplate, and black armor elsewhere...

789b05a0.jpg

Trying to take on the 3-1 rolling skeletons directly out of 1-1 with a slow swinging sword and without a shield didn't go very well. I'll try a shield and the scimitar today, and go through other areas.

It's relatively easy to avoid their swings but I hate how they can immediately go into a roll from almost any attack.

If I'm going to go two-handed melee, what is best to prioritize out of strength, endurance and vitality?

oracrest

I find that having high stamina is a great focus. The more swings you can pull off in a combo, the more you can take down an enemy in one go without having to fall back and come back. The two handed combo is great, you can usually keep an enemy caught in your attack until your bar drains down.

I wouldn't mind doing another capture of a playthrough. I guess I could just buy a USB camera, and capture the screen? Dies anyone have experience doing this that could offer some tips on the technical side? All I have is my tablet laptop to use. Hopefully I can capture a good 30 or 45 minutes in a single go?

YES! Finally got a Pure Bladestone after like 5 hours of farming. Demon's Souls Platinum Trophy here I come. Well, not quite, still need a couple of those Character Tendency rings, might be a pain...

LogicStep

I have a question, what's the best way to go about getting the Monk's Head Collar? I already cleared world 3. I read but didn't really get it that you have to go put your blue sign see if you get summoned or invade with the black stone?

oracrest

zazrx said:
I have a question, what's the best way to go about getting the Monk's Head Collar? I already cleared world 3. I read but didn't really get it that you have to go put your blue sign see if you get summoned or invade with the black stone?

World 3 is unique in that the server will look for willing players to be summoned as the Monk's "helper," regardless of whether you put down a black or blue soul stone. You must defeat the opposing player as the helper to receive the wrapping.

In some rare/easy/lame instances, the other player will die on their way to the boss room, and you still receive the wrapping without lifting a finger...

It's an interesting dynamic, since in a way it conveys the magical power of the monk, who can pull you to his aid, then offer you his robe, which grants him his powers... All from his weak useless corpse...

zazrx said:
So I have to sit in world 3 and just wait? There is nothing I can do to make the process a bit faster?
Nope, it usually doesn't take that long for them to get up there once you watch the cutscene. Just get in position for your attack.

LogicStep

SUBZERO-08 said:
Nope, it usually doesn't take that long for them to get up there once you watch the cutscene. Just get in position for your attack.
No I mean to get summoned for the event. I have to sit in world 3 and wait?

oracrest

zazrx said:
No I mean to get summoned for the event. I have to sit in world 3 and wait?

Yes, the opportunity only presents itself when another player of the proper level range is trying to engage in that boss battle. So, you run the risk of getting summoned as a normal blue or black phantom during that time.

LogicStep

I see, so to be clear, I just sit in there, no need to use my blue/black stones? Right now I'm at the monks archstone waiting, I'll wait a little see if it takes too long..

theta11

You can use either a blue/black stone. Fastest way is to invade from the corridor in the 3-3 or just leave a blue sign somewhere out of the way.

zazrx said:
I see, so to be clear, I just sit in there, no need to use my blue/black stones?
No, you do need to use a Black Eye Stone. I think Blue Eye Stone also works, because I've been summoned as the boss while using the Blue Eye Stone before.

LogicStep

Lmao wow, I was expecting something cool but the world I joined, the guy died in like 10 seconds, I didn't get to see a fight ;< Oh well I got my helm.

oracrest

zazrx said:
Lmao wow, I was expecting something cool but the world I joined, the guy died in like 10 seconds, I didn't get to see a fight ;< Oh well I got my helm.

oracrest said:
In some rare/easy/lame instances, the other player will die on their way to the boss room, and you still receive the wrapping without lifting a finger...

Well, there ya go!

edit: also, enjoy that one. It's the one item you can never get once the servers go down.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wowie, finally finished this for the first time yesterday. I've been playing mostly in offline mode in order to keep the PW/PB sway intact, but now I'm thinkin' it's time for some proper PvP.

I'm not having any luck invading using my Black Eye Stone though... I've tried with my lvl89 character and my lvl51 character, but alas. I've been running around W1 for the best part of an hour now, and it's failed everywhere I've tried to use it. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't want to turn my main into an evil guy, but unless the game lets you get the Foe's Ring on one profile, and all the rest on another, then there's no other way... I must turn to the dark side before I turn him good again for the Friend's Ring.

oracrest

You can get achievements across characters. I got the spells trophy with my magic user, and the miracles trophy with my priest. It just credits them all to your one user name on PSN.

Flizzzipper said:
The area with those ghosts that shoot the beams. I'm just stingy with grass/spice I'm just gonna have to burn them and I'll make it okay I guess.

The trick is to kill the reaper down below to your right...... he is right there when you first come into the cave.

here is a tip if you want it.

when you walk in look down and to the right. bring along at least 10 soul remains. begin throwing them behind him. if you do it right he will kill himself.

zazrx said:
BTW how do you activate NG+ thing? Do I just keep playing like normal or do I have to do something specific before it works?

I always hear that you should level up your soul level a hell of a lot before you hit NG+ because it's that much harder.

I've only got 1 level to go and i'll be done. 1-4

here we go :)

Tylahedras said:
My eyes... they cannot un-see it.

now that i think of it... why are you complaining about me posting a picture of the armor when you see the armor clear as day in the loading scenes sometimes.

zazrx said:
Well I'm at a soul level of 60+ I forget exactly. Leveling more would take forever :(.
No, don't worry about that. Farming for stones in 4-2 today, I made over 1 million souls. And I wasn't even using Soul Sucker, or killing the other two Black Phantom skeletons. It was in PBWT & NG.

Top Bottom