• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
oracrest said:
You can get achievements across characters. I got the spells trophy with my magic user, and the miracles trophy with my priest. It just credits them all to your one user name on PSN.
Yeah, I figured you wouldn't need to get all spells, miracles, weapons and rings all on one character (although I suppose people have done it by about NG(+4)).

But would I be able to get most of the rings on one profile, and pick up the remainders on another? If you have to get all rings on one profile, then I'd need to go PB character tendency, then PW character tendency (or vice versa) - if you see what I mean.

Edit: I'll take this top-of-page opportunity to ask again: All my invasion attempts so far have failed, on a lvl89 character and a lvl51 character, both in Boletarian Palace. Am I doing something wrong?

seeds19

Banned
I restarted the game with pal version, i'm in front of framelurkers fog and i need help to defeat him, i remember the pain in the ass this boss is with melee carachters in my old playtroughts with the asian version, anyone? mi psn is rubenkonen.

EDIT: my soul level is 22.

oracrest said:
I wouldn't mind doing another capture of a playthrough. I guess I could just buy a USB camera, and capture the screen? Dies anyone have experience doing this that could offer some tips on the technical side? All I have is my tablet laptop to use. Hopefully I can capture a good 30 or 45 minutes in a single go?
You could do a sample video to see! With that said, as badly as I want to watch a SL1 run, that doesn't mean you have to do it :p

I'm going to go back to this game today (been playing LA Noire for the last two days) and hopefully I'll make some good progress into world 5.

one85x

B-Genius said:
Yeah, I figured you wouldn't need to get all spells, miracles, weapons and rings all on one character (although I suppose people have done it by about NG(+4)).

But would I be able to get most of the rings on one profile, and pick up the remainders on another? If you have to get all rings on one profile, then I'd need to go PB character tendency, then PW character tendency (or vice versa) - if you see what I mean.

Edit: I'll take this top-of-page opportunity to ask again: All my invasion attempts so far have failed, on a lvl89 character and a lvl51 character, both in Boletarian Palace. Am I doing something wrong?
They would all have to be on one character. The best time to get PBCT is right before you enter NG+ as you won't be needing the NPCs anymore.

If by Boletarian Palace, you mean the archstone (1-1), then the only people you would be able to invade are those just starting NG+. You'll probably have more success at 1-3 and 1-4 if you want to stay in world 1.

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
You could do a sample video to see! With that said, as badly as I want to watch a SL1 run, that doesn't mean you have to do it :p

I'm going to go back to this game today (been playing LA Noire for the last two days) and hopefully I'll make some good progress into world 5.

I have actually been wanting to do a recorded playthrough, or live playthrough for a while now.

B-Genius, you might be trying in a level that not a lot of players are playing through in body form. Some levels (4-1, 4-2, 1-3) seem to have much higher online activity than others.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, thanks guys. I guess 1-1 is just quite unpopular.

Dang, I knew I shouldn't have rushed to the end-game stuff! I just wanted to finish it so badly! Would have been easier to get PBCT by killing NPCs, but at least it gives me an excuse to try PvP and invade some folks :)

... I dunno why I'd need an excuse. Maybe I'm scared I'll like being evil?

Whether I manage to Platinum it or not, this game has been awesome. Dark Souls cannot come soon enough.

I came back to this game after some time and holy hell, I'm out of practice. It's NG++++ and I'm getting killed by Tower Knight in 1 - 2 hits.

oracrest

OK, I think I figured out a means of capturing alright. I will maybe start next week, and try and play through in short youtube friendly snippets...

I am trying to think if I should do the full gameplay, deaths and all? Or an edited, more readily watchable version?

Mana Sin

oracrest said:
OK, I think I figured out a means of capturing alright. I will maybe start next week, and try and play through in short youtube friendly snippets...

I am trying to think if I should do the full gameplay, deaths and all? Or an edited, more readily watchable version?

Show deaths, but cut out the segments where the game is re-loading the stage. Maybe even cut out until just before you get back to your blood stain, then start recording again.

Also, I -think- you should be able to record full stages, but that may be reserved for a certain ranking or something. I really dunno, since I never uploaded many videos. I just know it's possible, somehow :p

Uhh, Satsuki just appeared in my game in body form, standing next to the skeleton and asking to speak with me. I have only killed the Adjudicator and haven't died in body form in 4-x since, I've just farmed 4-1 in body form a few times. My WT display shows +1 white.

Why is he here and what do I do? I only have Crescent Falchion +1 and the Adjudicator's shield.

oracrest

Giriath_89 said:
Uhh, Satsuki just appeared in my game in body form, standing next to the skeleton and asking to speak with me. I have only killed the Adjudicator and haven't died in body form in 4-x since, I've just farmed 4-1 in body form a few times. My WT display shows +1 white.

Why is he here and what do I do? I only have Crescent Falchion +1 and the Adjudicator's shield.

You must have reached Pure white tendency. Take the server average, and the bonus from killing adjudicator, and it may have set you to full white. Kill yourself in the Nexus, first and foremost. Then, if you have shut the game off, turn it on, but unplug your internet connection. Server average could knock you back down from pure white. If your game is still running, the server hit should only happen once when you connect that first time. As long as you don't reset the game, you will be good.

In 4-2
Fall into the pit that is underneath and behind the first reaper, in that small chamber. The item usually sitting atop the stalagmite should be on the ground now, pick it up, and you will have the sword Satsuki is looking for. Then, go back and speak to him. Profit.

oracrest said:
You must have reached Pure white tendency. Take the server average, and the bonus from killing adjudicator, and it may have set you to full white. Kill yourself in the Nexus, first and foremost. Then, if you have shut the game off, turn it on, but unplug your internet connection. Server average could knock you back down from pure white. If your game is still running, the server hit should only happen once when you connect that first time. As long as you don't reset the game, you will be good.

In 4-2
Fall into the pit that is underneath and behind the first reaper, in that small chamber. The item usually sitting atop the stalagmite should be on the ground now, pick it up, and you will have the sword Satsuki is looking for. Then, go back and speak to him. Profit.

I disconnected from PSN. Will go to the Nexus and kill myself now and hope this wasn't some bug that will be reset when I return. Won't Satsuki attack me if I have Makoto? You trolling me? ಠ_ಠ

oracrest

Giriath_89 said:
I disconnected from PSN. Will go to the Nexus and kill myself now and hope this wasn't some bug that will be reset when I return. Won't Satsuki attack me if I have Makoto? You trolling me? ಠ_ಠ

Really, that's the only thing that he does, but it's still an interesting event to do. His battle isn't too hard, only when it's against his BP version

Facism

oracrest said:
I have actually been wanting to do a recorded playthrough, or live playthrough for a while now.

B-Genius, you might be trying in a level that not a lot of players are playing through in body form. Some levels (4-1, 4-2, 1-3) seem to have much higher online activity than others.

I would watch you, then pay for the private show.

Made quite a lot of progress tonight.

I didn't have the thief ring (though I found it in 5-2 afterwards, grr!) so the boss of 4-2 was pretty tough. Just spammed him with soul arrows and healed a lot, basically.

4-3 boss was much easier than I expected, once I got rid of the small rays it was a piece of cake.

5-2 is a horrible level. First of all, it's not fun to navigate. Going through the swamp is just a chore and after you go through the first fog gate it's easy to be knocked off the walkways. But, worst of all, the framerate absolutely sucks throughout. Once you go through the fog gate it's like 10-15fps most of the time, which makes the gangs of enemies who approach you even harder to fight. I'm amazed they let that level go through with that performance. Shocking. I killed the boss first time, however, so at least I don't have to do it again. To be fair, it's the only bad level in the game, but man was it bad.

So now I have to do 1-4 and 5-3(4?) and I'm assuming I'm on to the last boss! Those are two challenges for tomorrow, however.

Performance of 5-2 is easily the worst in the game, yes, but I don't think it's a shitty level more generally. I think it fits right in and it wouldn't be the same game without it. 5-1 too for that matter, even though that's my pet fuck you level.

Like the "Nasty Guy" bloodstain message, 5-2 is just "Nasty Place." :)

I like the dark, bleak and scary atmosphere of 5-1 and 5-2, but the levels are just annoying. I don't think they're well designed at all, which is saying something because every other world has such amazing level design.

Just personal taste, I suppose!

Aww. The server average and killing Phalanx and Tower Knight had given me PWWT in 1-x, but I didn't want to kill Miralda and lose PWWT until I had progressed far enough to do all PWWT events in 1-x. Still, I wanted that Colorless Soul so I was attempting to run past her.

The first time I lured far out and ran ahead of her then equipped the Thief's ring downstairs so she wouldn't follow. I died trying to jump down on the beam though. On my second attempt I just ran past everything (missing the damn Gecko for the second time!) and she immediately suicided. :(

I managed to get down there and get both the soul and her drops though. The loot would be lost to me on that playthrough had I died, right?

Einbroch

Banned
Well, I've been playing the hell out of this game, and just beat it.

I don't know if I'll go back, though. There's a lot of stuff still left to do and after going through 1-1 again I just don't see myself pushing through all the other worlds.

Great, great game. My first impressions were very wrong and I'm glad I gave it another shot.

oracrest

Giriath_89 said:
On my second attempt I just ran past everything (missing the damn Gecko for the second time!) and she immediately suicided. :(

I managed to get down there and get both the soul and her drops though. The loot would be lost to me on that playthrough had I died, right?

Maybe. In some instances, when the characters fall into a pit and die, for example, the game will put their gear on the nearest cliff where they fell on a subsequent trip into the level. It will only last one time though, it's gone forever if you die or leave.

Although, perhaps I am thinking that if you were to quit, and reload your game, the items would be placed at the cliff, so you might not be able to even leave once. I'm not sure how it works, but they do this with Yurt's gear if you push him off the cliff.

Mana Sin

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the servers, or is it just me? I just tried about three times to invade an Old Monk battle, but every time I went for my black stone, it turns out that I'm no longer connected. What a pain. :\

oh my fucking god dude. i had that stupid motherfucking dickbag asshole shitface allant down to basically 2 more shots. then he winds up to do his fucking super blast and i ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED SQUARE INSTEAD OF R1! so of course my guy uses the old spice which takes fucking forever to do and by the time i can shoot my magic again its too late and i am dead.

fuck you allant. FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just played this game for the first time earlier today and it is so good. I only had enough time to get a little ways into 1-1 but man this game is amazing. The controls are very responsive. The atmosphere is amazing. I normally dislike challenging games but I'm so glad I decided to give this one a shot.

Grinchy

Banned
One day I was at the beginning of 3-3 (right after beating 3-2 on the bridge area before the tower). Someone invaded me. We stared at each other from opposite sides of this bridge for like 20 seconds. He came running in after me.

When he got to me, I pressed one button, pushed him, and he went off the cliff. It was hilarious and awesome. I never moved outside of pushing.

Mana Sin

Grinchy said:
One day I was at the beginning of 3-3 (right after beating 3-2 on the bridge area before the tower). Someone invaded me. We stared at each other from opposite sides of this bridge for like 20 seconds. He came running in after me.

When he got to me, I pressed one button, pushed him, and he went off the cliff. It was hilarious and awesome. I never moved outside of pushing.

*slow clap*

That's awesome.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
oh my fucking god dude. i had that stupid motherfucking dickbag asshole shitface allant down to basically 2 more shots. then he winds up to do his fucking super blast and i ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED SQUARE INSTEAD OF R1! so of course my guy uses the old spice which takes fucking forever to do and by the time i can shoot my magic again its too late and i am dead.

Who was talking about recording vids? I was thinking the other day I'd be VERY interested to watch vids of epic deaths like this one. Or looooooong treks for obscene amounts of souls that end in some really fuckass mistake lol ... just whatever - the PAINFUL stuff.

Mana Sin

NEOPARADIGM said:
Who was talking about recording vids? I was thinking the other day I'd be VERY interested to watch vids of epic deaths like this one. Or looooooong treks for obscene amounts of souls that end in some really fuckass mistake lol ... just whatever - the PAINFUL stuff.

Death by arrogance would also be pretty funny. I remember I was going through 3-2, totally confident to the point of not even paying attention... I walked right off a pathway between towers.

Mana Sin

whoops. Any way to get Boldwin to stop trying to kill me? I accidentally hit him to the point where he seems to want to hurt me.

I've tried to play this game three or four times and each and every time I've quit without beating the first level. I think my problem was I just trying to mash my way through using a standard melee soldier class. A friend of mine suggested that I try again using a mage. I think I'd enjoy the game way more as a ranged caster. My question being is the game significantly easier as a caster? If not is there some sort of guide to make it through the game with my controllers intact?

LogicStep

mikespit1200 said:
I've tried to play this game three or four times and each and every time I've quit without beating the first level. I think my problem was I just trying to mash my way through using a standard melee soldier class. A friend of mine suggested that I try again using a mage. I think I'd enjoy the game way more as a ranged caster. My question being is the game significantly easier as a caster? If not is there some sort of guide to make it through the game with my controllers intact?
It is much easier as a caster. But even as a caster I was fighting melee style a lot except for strong enemies because my melee didn't hurt enough so I just wanted to kill them fast.

mikespit1200 said:
I think my problem was I just trying to mash my way through using a standard melee soldier class.

I would identify that term as more of a potential culprit than using melee proper. Are you locking on and using stick & move tactics? Lots of rolling? You cannot play this game like God of War and such. Stamina is everything and picking your spots to attack and retreat is crucial, etc. Yeah?

(Forgive me if you're already completely aware of this. Just a hunch it could be a quick fix to your problem.)

Edit: Also, to answer your question, yes, casting is way easier, especially early on.

Will someone please explain to me why this is appearing behind my head?

I have equipped the dark silver shield/white bow/dragon long sword if that helps any. Its not there when I'm wearing the shield... but if I switch to the bow it starts with this red shit behind my head.

2011-05-27223808.jpg

dralla

FrenchMovieTheme said:

hey dont worry about it, some people just dont perform well under pressure

Mana Sin

Mana Sin said:
whoops. Any way to get Boldwin to stop trying to kill me? I accidentally hit him to the point where he seems to want to hurt me.

I'd really like to keep him alive and usable. I hate the idea of having to go to that other blacksmith for repairs. Pain in the ass.

one85x

I don't think so. Once they're hostile, that's it. Luckily he's almost completely useless outside of repairs, which isn't that big of a deal unless you main a katana.

Mana Sin

I like having the option :p I also just really dislike making the trip to Ed. Ah well, all the more reason to finish the last two worlds quickly and do the End Game and start all over again!

oracrest

Mana Sin said:
I'd really like to keep him alive and usable. I hate the idea of having to go to that other blacksmith for repairs. Pain in the ass.

You can keep him alive at least. The only use he has now is to kill him for character tendency stuff....

Mana Sin said:
I like having the option :p I also just really dislike making the trip to Ed. Ah well, all the more reason to finish the last two worlds quickly and do the End Game and start all over again!

ed's grindstones ftw!!!

chunk3rvd

Started playing this last week and loving it so far. Just wondering if there are any better places to farm spiderstones than the miners to the right of the 2-2 archstone? I'm trying to turn my Compound Long Bow into a Sticky Compound but I'm lucky if I get 1 drop every 10 runs

The only bosses I've beaten are Phalanx and Armored Spider so that tells you the areas I can access at the moment. I've only put my luck up to 8 as I've read it's not worth going any higher. Would a Sword of Searching help me out and if so, can I get to one of those yet? Also, if I use that does it have to be active in my left hand or does it just need to be equipped? I'm using a Winged Spear in my right to kill the miners and my Purple Flame Shield in the left as the pickaxe guys keep hitting me for nearly a full life bar

Once I've got my bow sorted I need one more Stone to revive then I'm going to do the World 2 run - taking it to PB then killing Scivir, the PD and Flamelurker to get to PW

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey chunk, I think your best bet is just to keep farming 2-1/2-2, especially Crystal Lizards. There's a cave full of 'em past where you first fight 2 NPC Black Phantoms, but you'll need an AoE spell to get the most out of that area...

You can't get Large Sword of Searching until you beat 4-2, and I'm not sure how much help it is anyway.
What region/lvl are you? I may be able to help you out with my caster character.

That said, I had my first proper online experience in ages today, and it was brilliant. I didn't realise playing as a Blue Phantom gives you an entire share of souls with no risk of losing them if you die!

I was playing with two other guys on 4-1, and we took the scenic route to get to Adjudicator (it was the host's first time I think, as he kept picking up stuff). Really cool teaming up, as I was using an alt character and honestly needed the help.

Anyhoo, we got to the boss and slugged away at him, just about keeping all three of us alive (not much room to work with in there). But literally the second he went down, there was some kind of server error message... I dunno if it was coincidence or a recent connection issue people are having, but I got transported back to my own world; not with body, but luckily with souls (including the boss').

Phew! So much fun, I think I'll just keep using my alt to play with people ^^

oracrest

chunk3rvd said:
Started playing this last week and loving it so far. Just wondering if there are any better places to farm spiderstones than the miners to the right of the 2-2 archstone? I'm trying to turn my Compound Long Bow into a Sticky Compound but I'm lucky if I get 1 drop every 10 runs

The only bosses I've beaten are Phalanx and Armored Spider so that tells you the areas I can access at the moment. I've only put my luck up to 8 as I've read it's not worth going any higher. Would a Sword of Searching help me out and if so, can I get to one of those yet? Also, if I use that does it have to be active in my left hand or does it just need to be equipped? I'm using a Winged Spear in my right to kill the miners and my Purple Flame Shield in the left as the pickaxe guys keep hitting me for nearly a full life bar

Once I've got my bow sorted I need one more Stone to revive then I'm going to do the World 2 run - taking it to PB then killing Scivir, the PD and Flamelurker to get to PW

If your going to get PB for world 2, then you might as well do that now, and increase your chance of rare drops while you farm for them.

Edit: I finally beat Phalanx with my level 1, so if any newcomers level 10 or lower need help with 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, or 5-1, let me know.

The only level I have left is 1-4 and then end game thing. I read that at some point I will not be able to use the souls to level up, is that after I beat 1-4? Then I have to wait until I beat the final boss?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^
Yup. Be sure to do any levelling you need to before beating 1-4. After that you're still free to visit the other archstones and gather/farm or do world/character tendency stuff.

Man, if I went looking for Spiderstone as much as I checked this thread, I would be one sticky mutha.

Top Bottom