• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

B-Genius said:
Those stories are great. I love the fact that both you guys went on afterwards to co-op with your ex-opponent. Truly classy stuff, and a testimony to the community!

Wouldn't mind hearing some not-so-classy tales as well, though ;)

Ok, here you go (not mine.)
mods, hope this isn't a bannable post, let me know and I'll remove

edit:
Aeonin said:
I commend all you players of this game, because by the second boss I was entirely too frustrated to continue on. The start from the very beginning mechanic really pissed me off when the boss at the very end of the level kills me in two hits (while blocking and trying my best to run away).

I'd love this game if my guy took 1/4th or even 1/8th the damage. Sure it wouldn't be pull my hair out cheap - but I think I like my games like that.

Unless I'm missing something huge, why do gamers put up with this?

It was just after this boss that the game really clicked for me. That battle was an early bottleneck for me. so hard to get to him, and past the two knights, then his fight was a constant headache. I played for hours and hours with no success, and I was pretty close to giving up. then, the next day, I fire it up, and defeat him on the first run!

It has a way of playing like that. The knowledge you gain from replaying the levels is waaaaay more important than souls or items. I would say the biggest misconception about the game is just how much is "lost" when you lose thousands of souls in a death. You're either play to discover/explore, or your focusing on gaining souls for the next level. Sometimes you defeat a boss, and can conveniently level up afterwards, but this is more of a treat than anything else.

The good parts about the game? Every single corner of the game is a singular, thought out moment. Even the levels that use prison cells over and over, they are all different. The dynamic of flavor of each world is rich and unique. Easily some of my most memorable and interesting worlds across all of gaming.

I personally LOVE the combat. the realistic nature of the weight and speed, and how you can't take more than a few hits from any given enemy before you die. It makes me appreciate every enemy in the game. And their design is great too. Very grounded, and researched. It feels like the quintessential western fantasy world. Nothing feels out of place or goofy, and I find that a hard thing to come by.

It proves to be an incredibly rewarding game for many people (just look how long it has stayed on the front page of the forums!) If your thinking of firing it up again, I could help you out with my level 1 character in areas you find difficult (until you hit level 11 anyways.)

oracrest said:

Ok, here you go (not mine.)
mods, hope this isn't a bannable post, let me know and I'll remove

edit:

It was just after this boss that the game really clicked for me. That battle was an early bottleneck for me. so hard to get to him, and past the two knights, then his fight was a constant headache. I played for hours and hours with no success, and I was pretty close to giving up. then, the next day, I fire it up, and defeat him on the first run!

It has a way of playing like that. The knowledge you gain from replaying the levels is waaaaay more important than souls or items. I would say the biggest misconception about the game is just how much is "lost" when you lose thousands of souls in a death. You're either play to discover/explore, or your focusing on gaining souls for the next level. Sometimes you defeat a boss, and can conveniently level up afterwards, but this is more of a treat than anything else.

The good parts about the game? Every single corner of the game is a singular, thought out moment. Even the levels that use prison cells over and over, they are all different. The dynamic of flavor of each world is rich and unique. Easily some of my most memorable and interesting worlds across all of gaming.

I personally LOVE the combat. the realistic nature of the weight and speed, and how you can't take more than a few hits from any given enemy before you die. It makes me appreciate every enemy in the game. And their design is great too. Very grounded, and researched. It feels like the quintessential western fantasy world. Nothing feels out of place or goofy, and I find that a hard thing to come by.

It proves to be an incredibly rewarding game for many people (just look how long it has stayed on the front page of the forums!) If your thinking of firing it up again, I could help you out with my level 1 character in areas you find difficult (until you hit level 11 anyways.)

excellent write-up.

Broseybrose

Would someone be willing to soulsuck me?

Im SL 125 on NA servers. Im too high to invade anymore, I can only host invasions (and Id say Im on about a 15 BPs in a row killing spree).

So can someone with soulsuck above level 80 PM me PLZ or even better send a msg to Broseybrose on PSN. I have all items for duping (I think).

theta11

Broseybrose said:

Im SL 125 on NA servers. Im too high to invade anymore, I can only host invasions (and Id say Im on about a 15 BPs in a row killing spree).

So can someone with soulsuck above level 80 PM me PLZ or even better send a msg to Broseybrose on PSN. I have all items for duping (I think).

I'll help you out, I'm on PSN right now I'll be on for the rest of the night.

maomaoIYP

Broseybrose said:

How's that possible? Back when I was still playing this, me and a few friends were SL 250+ and we were still doing invasions and getting invaded.

patsu

maomaoIYP said:
How's that possible? Back when I was still playing this, me and a few friends were SL 250+ and we were still doing invasions and getting invaded.

Wow haha, must be a bloody mess getting invaded by a SL 250+ character.

wow i am at a loss for words. just when i thought allant couldn't make me nerd rage to any higher degree he pulls out the biggest bullshit of all. i have him basically to a quarter health. i have full health and i have plenty of magic built up. i'm basically performing my gameplan perfectly, keeping him away and chipping away, then dodging.

so what does he do? he does his rush on me, which i dodge and then start blocking immediately. well right AFTER his rush, as in there are no frame delays, he does his 3 hit combo on me basically eliminating my stamina (and yes, i am using the stamina ring), then he does what appears to be ANOTHER 3 slash combo! how!? how the fuck am i supposed to defend that? i don't even have a chance to get out of the way and blocking does nothing since i have no stamina left!

you motherfucker dude.... my strategy was perfect!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
FrenchMovieTheme said:
wow i am at a loss for words. just when i thought allant couldn't make me nerd rage to any higher degree he pulls out the biggest bullshit of all. i have him basically to a quarter health. i have full health and i have plenty of magic built up. i'm basically performing my gameplan perfectly, keeping him away and chipping away, then dodging.

so what does he do? he does his rush on me, which i dodge and then start blocking immediately. well right AFTER his rush, as in there are no frame delays, he does his 3 hit combo on me basically eliminating my stamina (and yes, i am using the stamina ring), then he does what appears to be ANOTHER 3 slash combo! how!? how the fuck am i supposed to defend that? i don't even have a chance to get out of the way and blocking does nothing since i have no stamina left!

I never block anything Allant does. Just keep your finger on the roll button. Do you have Warding? That helps immensely. If not, Second Chance'll definitely help.

But that sucks, man. You're almost there. It's only a matter of time.

GuardianE said:
I never block anything Allant does. Just keep your finger on the roll button. Do you have Warding? That helps immensely. If not, Second Chance'll definitely help.

But that sucks, man. You're almost there. It's only a matter of time.

i have warding AND second chance but didn't have them equipped. maybe i should do that before i try to take him on again.

thank you for the words of encouragement. one day this asshole is going to taste defeat

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i have warding AND second chance but didn't have them equipped. maybe i should do that before i try to take him on again.

thank you for the words of encouragement. one day this asshole is going to taste defeat

Warding is an invaluable tool. It cuts physical damage you take by a huuuuge margin. That 3-hit combo that killed you? With Warding on, I bet you could've gotten hit by it 4 times before dying.

theta11

GuardianE said:
Warding is an invaluable tool. It cuts physical damage you take by a huuuuge margin. That 3-hit combo that killed you? With Warding on, I bet you could've gotten hit by it 4 times before dying.

Warding is pretty situational. Overall though the 2nd Chance the better spell. Usually in PVP you use 2nd Chance and then when it cracks you use Warding. But usually in PVE there's time to put back up 2nd Chance. Plus Warding doesn't protect against Magic and Fire, and if you are caster it takes up 2 slots.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

If you want help with Allant let me know and I can jump on give you hand.

thanks for the offer but i FINALLY beat him. i took the advice of not really blocking so much as just dodging. this turned out to be the difference because he pulled that shit on me again that killed me last time but i managed to dodge the second flurry.

kind of disappointed in the final boss. this game had some of the most enjoyable boss fights ever and to end it that way did the game a bit of a disservice.

still a great game, definitely up there for game of the generation in my opinion. hopefully dark souls can live up to the high expectations set by this masterpiece

p.s. and as good as the gameplay was, it was perhaps bested by the soundtrack. by far my favorite soundtrack in years

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, the final boss was a bit anticlimactic, but I think like the minimalist approach to storytelling, this is deliberate.

The idea that you go through all that hard work, defeat all those monsters and massive bosses, and you come across the decaying, mutated King Allant... it's more sad than disappointing.

You've become so powerful, ready to face whatever awaits you inside The Old One, and then you realise that if you're tainted anymore with power, you may end up like him. I felt sorry for that horrid thing, lurching around not posing a threat. But you have to defeat it to set the world "right".

Then whatever choice you make at the end, I loved the way your character just walks away while The Old One recedes back into the fog it emerged from. In a way, it's very old school, and really quite dramatic; more emotionally stirring than a lot of game endings out there nowadays.

Rolf NB

FrenchMovieTheme said:
kind of disappointed in the final boss. this game had some of the most enjoyable boss fights ever and to end it that way did the game a bit of a disservice.
The final boss is in
1-5. You've already done that. Mutated King Allant is just storytelling. Or a denoument, if you will

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
B-Genius said:
Sure, the final boss was a bit anticlimactic, but I think like the minimalist approach to storytelling, this is deliberate.

The idea that you go through all that hard work, defeat all those monsters and massive bosses, and you come across the decaying, mutated King Allant... it's more sad than disappointing.

You've become so powerful, ready to face whatever awaits you inside The Old One, and then you realise that if you're tainted anymore with power, you may end up like him. I felt sorry for that horrid thing, lurching around not posing a threat. But you have to defeat it to set the world "right".

Then whatever choice you make at the end, I loved the way your character just walks away while The Old One recedes back into the fog it emerged from. In a way, it's very old school, and really quite dramatic; more emotionally stirring than a lot of game endings out there nowadays.

I JUST noticed on my last playthrough that
mutant Allant holds the Soulbrandt on/in his "shoulder" and swings it around every now and then. I even tried taking a hit by it, but the damage taken wasn't high, as expected.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
theta11 said:
Warding is pretty situational. Overall though the 2nd Chance the better spell. Usually in PVP you use 2nd Chance and then when it cracks you use Warding. But usually in PVE there's time to put back up 2nd Chance. Plus Warding doesn't protect against Magic and Fire, and if you are caster it takes up 2 slots.

You're right. It is situational, but against bosses Warding cuts damage so significantly you end up having 4-5X the life, instead of just 1.5X. Essentially, it really helps if you're starting out against a boss because you have more time to learn patterns... and it's really effective against bosses that most people seem to have issues with, like Maneater and Allant.

I use both Warding and Second Chance on my melee character depending on what I'm doing. I didn't really bump up intelligence, so I can only remember one or the other.

oracrest

Giriath_89 said:
I'll have to try a basic soul level run once. That's how you got all those items at such a low level, right? Or did you de-level?

That's just some image I stumbled on online. For my run, I was able to get anything, I just couldn't use most of it effectively. I needed ring of giant strength to keep a fast roll, and ok armor.

depths20XX

Finally beat Flamelurker after just getting back into the game.

So are melee builds not very good in PVP or something? I hear most people talking about magic and faith builds, but isn't there only like one direct dmg faith spell? So I'm guessing faith builds are also melee builds?

depths20XX said:

So are melee builds not very good in PVP or something? I hear most people talking about magic and faith builds, but isn't there only like one direct dmg faith spell? So I'm guessing faith builds are also melee builds?

Yes, faith builds are melee builds using blessed weapons.

E: I thought Dragon God was a bit of a disappointment. I beat him on my first ever attempt using melee to clear the debris, having not bothered getting soul arrow and not having fire spray remembered at the time.

pastacopy

Neo Member
Has anyone ripped/recorded any dialog or sounds from the game? I'd love to listen to the Crestfallen Warrior's dialog some more and the mind flayer's bell might make a nice ringtone.

depths20XX

Is it possible to bring each zone to pure black world tendency in one playthrough? Dying in soul form doesn't lower the world tendency as I've read. So I'm guessing most people go into another game as blue phantom then help with the boss to get resurrected, then die and repeat?

I hope the world tendency stuff isn't as tedious in the next game. Or replaced with something better.

Sword Familiar

depths20XX said:
Is it possible to bring each zone to pure black world tendency in one playthrough? Dying in soul form doesn't lower the world tendency as I've read. So I'm guessing most people go into another game as blue phantom then help with the boss to get resurrected, then die and repeat?

It's possible, I've done it myself. It takes a bit of work and planning, but if you use your ephemeral + boss revivals wisely, it's all just a matter of effort. Needs to be done offline though, or you're likely gonna reset your tendencies and fuck it all up.

thorin

World Tendency will be gone in Dark Souls. Also, if you're careful to pickup any loot you see throughout the levels, by the end of the game you should have more than enough Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to bring each world into pure black tendency.

Oh, and killing
Miralda or Satsuki has a -3 effect on that world's tendency. So killing them both saves you 6 resurrections.

Sword Familiar

thorin said:
World Tendency will be gone in Dark Souls. Also, if you're careful to pickup any loot you see throughout the levels, by the end of the game you should have more than enough Stones of Ephemeral Eyes to bring each world into pure black tendency.

You won't have enough stones, but they're dropped by red phantom giant depraved ones, so grind a bit and you're set.

Oh, and killing Miralda or Satsuki has a -3 effect on that world's tendency. So killing them both saves you 6 resurrections.

In my experience, it's better to do it the other way around, by going down, then up, though (since you'll both get to kill a primeval demon + a BPNPC). You need to go up three levels in WT to even meet the special NPCs, so killing them will gain you nothing, really.

Sword Familiar said:
In my experience, it's better to do it the other way around, by going down, then up, though (since you'll both get to kill a primeval demon + a BPNPC). You need to go up three levels in WT to even meet the special NPCs, so killing them will gain you nothing, really.

It will if you don't want to go online and reset your WT on all worlds. Playing online at first I hit PWWT early on a couple worlds so I did those events first then killed the event NPC and used about four stones of ephemeral eyes to get PBWT.

This way it's easier to progress through the worlds (since PWWT makes you stronger and enemies weaker), but you will get less souls and ores (since souls gained and drop rate both increase in black WT).

thorin

Sword Familiar said:
You won't have enough stones, but they're dropped by red phantom giant depraved ones, so grind a bit and you're set.

On serveral playthroughs I've had more than enough stones to do the job without grinding. The wiki says there's 30+ lying around as treasure.

Sword Familiar said:

Haha, I'm confused. Typically, I would work up to PW in all worlds, then down to PB by suicide and killing those NPCs, and then back up by killing the primeval demon + BPNPC.

Giriath_89 said:
I'll have to try a basic soul level run once. That's how you got all those items at such a low level, right? Or did you de-level?

yeah you can get anything, using it is another issue due to stat requirements. i do invade with an SL1 character sometimes (mostly in 1-2) and i wear the binded armour and use moon iron knuckles +5 and dragon iron knuckles +5. yay for punching people to death :D

Eccocid

Mr_Appleby said:
yeah you can get anything, using it is another issue due to stat requirements. i do invade with an SL1 character sometimes (mostly in 1-2) and i wear the binded armour and use moon iron knuckles +5 and dragon iron knuckles +5. yay for punching people to death :D

I wish there were more h2h weapons! Fighting against Flamelurker with h2h weapons would be fantastically frustrating! lol

thorin said:
Haha, I'm confused. Typically, I would work up to PW in all worlds, then down to PB by suicide and killing those NPCs, and then back up by killing the primeval demon + BPNPC.

If you want ores it's also wise to avoid all crystal lizards you can and then kill all of them when you're at PBWT. I did that in Stonefang Tunnel but managed to fuck up in the nest twice.

First I didn't enough faith for God's Wrath to kill them, so they all ran away with about 10 HP left. Then the next time after I had leveled my faith up I used some magic before I ran in there, so I didn't have enough mana to cast it. :'(

Mordeccai

Just got this game a week ago, played it for maybe 10 hours so far.

Hot damn. This game rapes me hard. But its a sweet, sweet rape that I can't help but crave within minutes after I turn the console off. I think... im in love!

Sword Familiar

Giriath_89 said:
It will if you don't want to go online and reset your WT on all worlds. Playing online at first I hit PWWT early on a couple worlds so I did those events first then killed the event NPC and used about four stones of ephemeral eyes to get PBWT.

The thing is, if you play offline from the start, you'll be at neutral from the get-go. That's what I meant with you not gaining anything, going up to PW just to go back to neutral again seems... well, pointless? Using the online/offline modes strategically's different though, since the online will put you at near PWWT (I hate that it does that).

Eccocid

Mordeccai said:
Just got this game a week ago, played it for maybe 10 hours so far.

Hot damn. This game rapes me hard. But its a sweet, sweet rape that I can't help but crave within minutes after I turn the console off. I think... im in love!

If you enjoy getting raped it is not called as rape! lol

Murkas

I've ended up resuming my EU save file to get my 2nd Demon's Souls platinum. Do people bow in the EU version like they did in the Asian version, I always liked that. Haven't been playing it online due to manipulating the WT because Namco hates us and never gives us any WT events.

I'm insane for trying to go for 2 plats on Demon's Souls :(

in a way, this game does have different difficulty settings depending on the way you build you character.

i originally got the game on release in 2009 and went straight melee character. i literally beat 2 bosses (phalanx and the tower guy) and once i got to level 2-1 i got so frustrated i quit. poured too many hours into getting destroyed with nothing to show for it.

flash forward to a few weeks ago when i re-bought the game and started a new magic character. didn't have NEARLY the problems. oh i died plenty, but i was always able to handle things eventually with magic and playing keep-away.

so for those frustrated, try out royal or magic class! it might be the pussies way out but now i think im comfortable enough on my 2nd playthrough to use more melee tactics.

Eccocid said:
I wish there were more h2h weapons! Fighting against Flamelurker with h2h weapons would be fantastically frustrating! lol

oh man! way to have a heart attack. hands of god vs flamelurker..

iron knuckles are great fun once you upgrade them a bit but yeah not my weapon of choice for regular pve

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i originally got the game on release in 2009 and went straight melee character. i literally beat 2 bosses (phalanx and the tower guy) and once i got to level 2-1 i got so frustrated i quit.

seems to screw a lot of people up.. the bad guys in 2-1 are resistant to slash/crush attacks.. use piercing or magic weapons. the pickaxe you find there is good if you don't have anything else

FrenchMovieTheme said:
in a way, this game does have different difficulty settings depending on the way you build you character.

i originally got the game on release in 2009 and went straight melee character. i literally beat 2 bosses (phalanx and the tower guy) and once i got to level 2-1 i got so frustrated i quit. poured too many hours into getting destroyed with nothing to show for it.

flash forward to a few weeks ago when i re-bought the game and started a new magic character. didn't have NEARLY the problems. oh i died plenty, but i was always able to handle things eventually with magic and playing keep-away.

so for those frustrated, try out royal or magic class! it might be the pussies way out but now i think im comfortable enough on my 2nd playthrough to use more melee tactics.
Posts like this make me feel proud I was a 75% melee character, and only turned to magic about halfway through the game as a secondary option.

Mastering (well, getting pretty good at) the melee fighting is so, so satisfying. It was tough, but ultimately I'm glad I went that way.

oracrest

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - tutorial level

So I managed to get all set up with my capturing machine, and was able to do some recording. I have the tutorial level, and the first level (1-1 hasn't been uploaded to youtube yet.) Ran into a few snags, with being able to only capture about 10 minute snippets, so I will have to cleverly playthrough and find safe spots while the capture machine restarts and can record alright again.

Character's name is "Sir Gafeon."

oracrest said:

So I managed to get all set up with my capturing machine, and was able to do some recording. I have the tutorial level, and the first level (1-1 hasn't been uploaded to youtube yet.) Ran into a few snags, with being able to only capture about 10 minute snippets, so I will have to cleverly playthrough and find safe spots while the capture machine restarts and can record alright again.

Haha, that was pretty awesome. Never actually seen how you die if you manage to beat Vanguard. Getting pummeled by Dragon God is a pretty cool way to go.

i forgot to mention the most awesome h2h combo.. forward+r1 headbutt into r2 uppercut
very satisfying pulling that off correctly for a pvp kill >:D

theta11

depths20XX said:

Faith builds are popular because they have alot more pros than cons, and if anti-magic field worked it'd probably be the best build for PvP.

IsayFever

So I've decided to make a new character after putting easily 100hours into my last profile. Not sure if I should go for a more ranged centric build or heavy armoured melee

ZeroRay

Fought Tower Knight after a few months break off this game. Got pummeled, used to be able to take him out in 3 minutes solo. :p

Starting a new melee Nordish character named Hrothmaar in honor of Skyrim. A heavy melee/faith build. Gonna put him in Skyrim as well.

My first Dark Souls character will probably be a continuation of my Platinum character; a female thief who became a dexterity/melee powerhouse.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Posts like this make me feel proud I was a 75% melee character, and only turned to magic about halfway through the game as a secondary option.

Mastering (well, getting pretty good at) the melee fighting is so, so satisfying. It was tough, but ultimately I'm glad I went that way.

most of the bosses don't seem balanced for ranged attack and killing them feels like a glitch. I think a better approach if the game is too hard in the first run is to do heavy armor + shield. e.g. a temple knight with the right stats can block pretty much anything without getting broken. the only issue I ran into is those ogres in the water level but you can't roll there either :) plus you fall off less ledges using block instead of roll

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Augh! I had 5-3 at pure white and I killed the boss. I was just going to head up to see if I missed anything! A baby one shot me in the ankle while in body form! $%^*&*&%%^*&

*sigh* Guess it's time to finish the game and reset. :mad:

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
SUBZERO-08 said:
Haha, that was pretty awesome. Never actually seen how you die if you manage to beat Vanguard. Getting pummeled by Dragon God is a pretty cool way to go.
Haha, indeed. The first time I experienced that I was floored. It sums up Demon's Souls so well. You slog through that apparently unbeatable tutorial boss and think "YES! I'm the best!" Only to get a haymaker in the face from Dragon God.

You Will Die.

elfinke

B-Genius said:
Haha, indeed. The first time I experienced that I was floored. It sums up Demon's Souls so well. You slog through that apparently unbeatable tutorial boss and think "YES! I'm the best!" Only to get a haymaker in the face from Dragon God.

You Will Die.

Yep, I actually laughed rather heartily at my demise upon that ending. I was sweaty palmed, feverish and shaking from hanging on to beat the tutorial boss, and then...

Not really spoilerish, but if you've never defeated the tutorial boss, or never seen the Dragon God, perhaps skip this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssC68oS6kg&t=5m0s

oracrest said:

Awesome! I'll be watching them :)

Top Bottom