• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

RiccochetJ said:
Augh! I had 5-3 at pure white and I killed the boss. I was just going to head up to see if I missed anything! A baby one shot me in the ankle while in body form! $%^*&*&%%^*&

*sigh* Guess it's time to finish the game and reset. :mad:

Did you miss the PWWT events? If you didn't, then what's the problem? You can do them in NG+ too, if you missed them.

oracrest

oracrest said:
Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - tutorial level

So I managed to get all set up with my capturing machine, and was able to do some recording. I have the tutorial level, and the first level (1-1 hasn't been uploaded to youtube yet.) Ran into a few snags, with being able to only capture about 10 minute snippets, so I will have to cleverly playthrough and find safe spots while the capture machine restarts and can record alright again.

Character's name is "Sir Gafeon."

Well, I go to export my 1-1 playthrough only to find that one of the captures was corrupted :/

So, I think I am going to remake the character identically, and use him to play through, keeping the tutorial video for now. I'll have to be more careful with the recording, and just make more, shorter captures just to be safe.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Giriath_89 said:
Did you miss the PWWT events? If you didn't, then what's the problem? You can do them in NG+ too, if you missed them.
I'm supposed to fight a BP after I thought? And then return to Selen. Not really an issue I suppose. I bought this game when it released and after many times getting sidetracked, I'm giving it a serious push. I only have 3-3 and 1-3 and 1-4 left. On that note... Friend's ring get!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have completed this game! And apparently I have 45% of the trophies! o_O

Definitely LTTP but this is so far my game of this gen. So unique and very awesome. Can't wait for Dark Souls. Pre-ordering now.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff oracrest. I'll keep watching these as I know it's gonna get more and more interesting ;)

BTW, when you are getting the Thief's Ring and talking to Ostrava, you can just climb over that wall, you don't have to hack it from the stairs hehe.

oracrest

B-Genius said:
Good stuff oracrest. I'll keep watching these as I know it's gonna get more and more interesting ;)

BTW, when you are getting the Thief's Ring and talking to Ostrava, you can just climb over that wall, you don't have to hack it from the stairs hehe.

Heh, learn something new everyday! ;)

oracrest

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm really looking forward to how you approach a lot of the later levels :)

I think uploading a level at a time is a good way to do it!

Yeah, admittedly the first handful of levels is nothing special, since you have to do them at low level anyways. I will keep posting them as I make them. Hopefully it won't take too long, but probably a few months, only being able to do a level at a time, and then the time for all the editing, and uploading and whatnot.

I was capturing 1-2, and the capture crashed again, so I had to run back through the first wall, and try not to get scorched, and keep my body form. Made it all the way down, and he knocked me a bit with his feet, but I still made it back to the archstone without dieing. A bit frustrating to say the least. I have a faster, larger drive in the mail that is to be dedicated for capturing, so hopefully it won't be an issue in the later levels.

It's still good to see the early levels though because it gives you a sense of progression and increasing challenge as you watch. :)

I hope your capture troubles don't continue on the hardest levels, though! That could get frustrating.

Broseybrose

Very cool. Nice upload. Fun to see you get a preview of Dragon God.

Edit
<- This is the char i still need to de-level. Im about to try and get on right now. SL 125.

PSN - Broseybrose

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
oracrest said:
And I did not know about that walled off Boletaria vista, so thanks for that!

I died when you accidentally got the jump on Ostrava. Must've given you a fright! xD
Also, that Tower Knight battle was a bit fierce. It sucks that he got himself into that corner and was hopping about most of the time. He obviously knew you were trying to take the piss with SL1 ;)

Joei

FrenchMovieTheme said:
in a way, this game does have different difficulty settings depending on the way you build you character.

i originally got the game on release in 2009 and went straight melee character. i literally beat 2 bosses (phalanx and the tower guy) and once i got to level 2-1 i got so frustrated i quit. poured too many hours into getting destroyed with nothing to show for it.

flash forward to a few weeks ago when i re-bought the game and started a new magic character. didn't have NEARLY the problems. oh i died plenty, but i was always able to handle things eventually with magic and playing keep-away.

so for those frustrated, try out royal or magic class! it might be the pussies way out but now i think im comfortable enough on my 2nd playthrough to use more melee tactics.

I think using a ranged character makes the game fairly easy. At least, it was easy for me using a ranged one. My first play through was melee/ranged, and when I got to the NG+ and was really able to effectively farm for materials and better knew what I was doing in combat and leveling up and allocating stats, I was one powerful mofo with ranged.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm at pure white world tendency on 2-3 and the rubble isn't clearing away for the dragon bone smasher. Am I missing something? I just killed the dragon god. I don't think I was at pure white before but I definitely am now. Do I leave and come back? Online is giving me mixed opinions in that they're saying definitely do not leave after beating the dragon god... but the rubble hasn't disappeared.

one85x

RiccochetJ said:
I'm at pure white world tendency on 2-3 and the rubble isn't clearing away for the dragon bone smasher. Am I missing something? I just killed the dragon god. I don't think I was at pure white before but I definitely am now. Do I leave and come back? Online is giving me mixed opinions in that they're saying definitely do not leave after beating the dragon god... but the rubble hasn't disappeared.
Ya, go to the Nexus and come back. World tendency only changes when you return to the Nexus.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
one85x said:
Ya, go to the Nexus and come back. World tendency only changes when you return to the Nexus.
Thank you! I got it. Weird... I know that tendency only changes after I go back to the Nexus, but what I was reading was very adamant that I do not leave and come back otherwise it would be gone until the next game. I was extremely hesitant to leave!

Eccocid

Joei said:
I think using a ranged character makes the game fairly easy. At least, it was easy for me using a ranged one. My first play through was melee/ranged, and when I got to the NG+ and was really able to effectively farm for materials and better knew what I was doing in combat and leveling up and allocating stats, I was one powerful mofo with ranged.

At my first run in Asian version..i picked Thief! lol.... Didn't have much idea about game so i thought classes have their own special skills. So i thought maybe stealthing would be fun..Oh boooy. Died zillion times at 1-1.. But then i mastered the art of parrying and backstabbing!

I was backstabbing almost every enemy or parrying countering every attack! It was so fun.

In my second run on Eu version i picked up Royal to play as a mage character. oh boooooy...IT is super easy once u boost your magic stat. 2 or 3 hits of soul arrow and fireball can kill everything!

Summary; Melee is more fun imo.

I only just started playing Demon's Souls about a month ago for the first time. I have done 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1.

I haven't attempted the 5th archstone yet as I assume it's the most difficult. Love the game, playing as a Royal :)D) Soul Ray is the greatest thing ever.

Having trouble with the Old Monk atm!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
methos75 said:
Anyone got a good strategy for King Doran, he is whipping me good
This is a cheese method, so I'm gonna spoiler it for when you're really having trouble:

Clear the ramparts (with all the catapults and broken stuff lying around) of enemies and lead him out there. Keep kiting him, and you will eventually find a spot where he turns around to walk back.

He will want to walk back to the little entrance that leads to the Red Eye Knight bridge before he starts attacking you again. But as long as you trap him on the ramparts, he will not attack you. You want to keep pushing and guiding him with your attacks and positioning, towards where you fought the Blue Eye Knight. You can just keep slogging away until he goes down.

Like I said, hella cheesy. Only for when you're well and truly through trying to face him head-on!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
FTH said:
*checks thread*

*sees Tutorial boss defeated*

Fuck this thread, and everyone in it.

Don't want to brag, BUT... I've beaten the tutorial boss with bare hands/no equipment. It was more effort than it was worth (pretty tedious).

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
B-Genius said:
This is a cheese method, so I'm gonna spoiler it for when you're really having trouble:

Clear the ramparts (with all the catapults and broken stuff lying around) of enemies and lead him out there. Keep kiting him, and you will eventually find a spot where he turns around to walk back.

He will want to walk back to the little entrance that leads to the Red Eye Knight bridge before he starts attacking you again. But as long as you trap him on the ramparts, he will not attack you. You want to keep pushing and guiding him with your attacks and positioning, towards where you fought the Blue Eye Knight. You can just keep slogging away until he goes down.

Like I said, hella cheesy. Only for when you're well and truly through trying to face him head-on!

More cheese:

Use thief ring. When he challenges you, hit him with a ranged attack (you should be able to lock onto him at this point) untill he starts running after you. Hold your distance, but let him follow you untill you (and him!) reach the bridge. Run into the tower and stand behind the corner while angling the camera so that you can see him. Since you're wearing the thief ring, he'll turn and start walking towards his spawn point, this is where you strike. Run up towards him (he's incredibly dull, won't notice you untill it's too late) and stab him in the back. If you have magic, you can land an extra hit before running back into the tower.

Rince and repeat untill he commends you and offers the sword. However, DO NOT take the sword. Instead, backstab him and you'll notice he'll keep turning his back to you if you keep your distance, BUT HE WON'T WALK BACK. He's now basically an easy target for backstabbing wherever he stands, since, if you keep your distance, he'll ALWAYS turn his back against you.

Cheese him to death, grasp the sword and laugh at his awful AI.

oracrest

Sword Familiar said:
Don't want to brag, BUT... I've beaten the tutorial boss with bare hands/no equipment. It was more effort than it was worth (pretty tedious).

Well done.

B-Genius said:
And I did not know about that walled off Boletaria vista, so thanks for that!

I died when you accidentally got the jump on Ostrava. Must've given you a fright! xD
Also, that Tower Knight battle was a bit fierce. It sucks that he got himself into that corner and was hopping about most of the time. He obviously knew you were trying to take the piss with SL1 ;)

Yeah, when I was running up the stairs, I thought that it was one of the standard enemies that I missed, and he was walking through that corridor. At least Ostravia didn't rage on me. I would like him to be there for his big moment in 1-3.

Joei

Phonomezer said:
I only just started playing Demon's Souls about a month ago for the first time. I have done 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1.

I haven't attempted the 5th archstone yet as I assume it's the most difficult. Love the game, playing as a Royal :)D) Soul Ray is the greatest thing ever.

Having trouble with the Old Monk atm!

Actually, the world 5 boards aren't that difficult, except 5-2 can be a pain in the ass but that's more of level design reasons and not so much cause of the enemies. The bosses surely aren't that difficult. I went in with the same mentality as you and I totally stomped right through them because I was so overpowered. I'd say if you're having a little trouble with the Old Monk or feel at a standstill, definitely give world 5 a whirl.

chunk3rvd

What's the best tactic for the gecko lair on 2-2? I've just learned Rage of the Gods so do I just run in to the middle and hit that as quick as I can?

Also, I haven't been in there once yet but I've killed Dragon God so I should be able to kill them all 4 times? Is that right? I'm hoping for a bunch of Hardstone chunks so I can finish off my purple flame shield!!

chunk3rvd said:
What's the best tactic for the gecko lair on 2-2? I've just learned Rage of the Gods so do I just run in to the middle and hit that as quick as I can?

Also, I haven't been in there once yet but I've killed Dragon God so I should be able to kill them all 4 times? Is that right? I'm hoping for a bunch of Hardstone chunks so I can finish off my purple flame shield!!

best way to kill the maximum geckos is to clear an area of enemies until the gecko, then kill it, stay in the same place, load your menu up and choose load game.

it will load you in the same place you are at and the gecko will be the only thing that spawns back. you can do this as many times as you can, and every boss kill will give you one more extra gecko.

as far as 2-2 I never had my faith that high, so God's wrath never did enough damage to take out all the geckos, but I never really needed to clear the whole pit for upgrades. I don't think those geckos drop anything too rare, so I wouldn't bother with it. Just go in and kill the first 2 geckos, and then 1 or 2 more in the pit and don't worry bout the rest, unless you want to.

Joei said:
Actually, the world 5 boards aren't that difficult, except 5-2 can be a pain in the ass but that's more of level design reasons and not so much cause of the enemies. The bosses surely aren't that difficult. I went in with the same mentality as you and I totally stomped right through them because I was so overpowered. I'd say if you're having a little trouble with the Old Monk or feel at a standstill, definitely give world 5 a whirl.

Okay, yeah I haven't touched the game in 2 days because I was sick of dying, I will give 5-1 a go!

I think my Soul lvl is only around 50 right now, I should be alright though.

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
are you doing the optional ones too like Doran and the dragons, named black phantoms etc?

this inspired me to do my own run and so far have downed tutorial boss, and phalanx as lvl 1...i've got the mausoleum key, thinking bout Doran.

I can do whatever people want me to try. I would probably do those at the end, when I've amassed enough ephemeral stones to go full black in the levels.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You should invade some noobs
th_DevilSmiley.gif

bone_and_sinew

wilflare said:
I've still yet to get this game.
come on Amazon, drop the price on this!
$19.99 is too much for you?

Shit I bought this around Black Friday for $15 with the soundtrack CD and I regret not buying it Day 1 for full price.

Teknoman

So are hand to hand weapons even viable? I'm working with a Mercury Broadsword...it just stinks there arent any cool looking demon upgrade 1 handers.

DAMN IT LEECHMONGER DIE ALREADAGD

bone_and_sinew

Teknoman said:
So are hand to hand weapons even viable? I'm working with a Mercury Broadsword...it just stinks there arent any cool looking demon upgrade 1 handers.

DAMN IT LEECHMONGER DIE ALREADAGD
Large Sword of Searching is a pretty good weapon in PVE that fits your description. And I have way more fun playing as a melee than as a mage, also am much more succesful in PVP with a melee build.

Teknoman

bone_and_sinew said:
Large Sword of Searching is a pretty good weapon in PVE that fits your description. And I have way more fun playing as a melee than as a mage, also am much more succesful in PVP with a melee build.

Had no idea that was a 1 hand sword...guess the name is kinda deceiving.

bone_and_sinew

Hehe yeah, it's actually categorized with asian swords in the game and functionality-wise, it's basically a scimitar.

Goredrinker

Neo Member
Started playing again after about a 6 month break.

Chose the Wanderer class to build off (like the Falchion). 1-1 was pretty easy. Went to 5-1 and died pretty quick (fell to my death roll/jumping to get the mace - stupid). Came back got the mace.

Exit to nexus, upgrade the mace to +2. Go to 4-1, Silver skellies are super easy now, 2 swings. Kill all except for the black skelly, grab +1 falchion. Clear up to Adj shield, grab that. Exit level. Spend points to equip it.

Go to 2-1 and clear all the way to the unlock of the elevator and the better blacksmith. Magic falchion is very good here. Back to Nexus.

Decide that I might try a melee char that uses magic based weapons but rarely uses spells.

Head to 3-1, almost die when I run out of stamina one fight bell witch gets a three hit combo on me and i'm very suprised to be alive with a sliver of health. Avoid giant eyeball thing for another time. Kill the black phantom no problems (bleed from the falchion was very nice). Head back and free the Wizard. Go and kill the boss very quickly, hmm no cut scene, zone out come back in, rekill boss, hmm. Remember about the old guy upstairs. Go kill boss a third time. Cut scene.

So I might do 3-2 or finish 4-1 tonight. Aim on getting the phosphorescent pole for the first time ever, don't care if it's crap.

Got to love the game. You can just decide on some weird build and go for it.

Hopefully no real spoilers there.

Zertez

Ive tried playing the game a few times now over the months and I quit pretty early on. Is it easier to play through the first time with melee, or are magic users about the same difficulty? I like using magic classes, but the game is already difficult, do not want to make it even worse.

Zertez said:
Ive tried playing the game a few times now over the months and I quit pretty early on. Is it easier to play through the first time with melee, or are magic users about the same difficulty? I like using magic classes, but the game is already difficult, do not want to make it even worse.

a little bit of both should be fine. i used melee with enhance weapon, heal my first playthrough so i didn't have to go through 4082309483439 grasses, and the difficulty was fine.

the best way to play through the game is to take it slow and methodical and learn the levels. then when you know the levels and enemy patterns you can breeze through later on.

plus if you start again, you can start as a royalty with a free mp regen ring and a soul arrow spell which is quite useful

oracrest said:
I can do whatever people want me to try. I would probably do those at the end, when I've amassed enough ephemeral stones to go full black in the levels.
Because I hate you so much, I want to cause you as much frustration as possible and demand you kill everything. ;)

oracrest said:
Will do! ;P

what's weird is when I am watching someone else play, I notice things like the sounds effects so much more, and how well done they are. like the slashing sound of the scimitar on flesh is so satisfying.

Top Bottom