• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

-Winnie-

I came across a bargain for Demon's Souls and I'm super tempted to pick it up. Are the online aspects still active? (For the EU version that is)

Teknoman

bone_and_sinew said:
Hehe yeah, it's actually categorized with asian swords in the game and functionality-wise, it's basically a scimitar.

Large sword of searching it is then. Also i've had the game since NA launch, but is it best to carry blunt weapons as well as pierce/slashing?

EDIT: Wait, isnt that the huge sword that the old king giant uses?

Guess i'll go with Mercury Kilij, Dragon Knight Sword, and Large sword o searching.

-Winnie- said:
I came across a bargain for Demon's Souls and I'm super tempted to pick it up. Are the online aspects still active? (For the EU version that is)

I would think so. If not, you arent getting the full experience (helping others, being invaded, being a boss for other players, etc.) but you still get a damn good one.

-Winnie- said:

i basically spent the last 2 weeks playing through the game from scratch and the community was VERY active. still lots of messages and i got messages that i left recommended many times. i think if your message gets recommended you get full health back. can't say i ever noticed at the time though!

p.s. i am in the US though, can't comment on the EU server activity

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
-Winnie- said:
Hells yeah they're still active, and people are still helping/invading/etc.

Nab it good!

elfinke

Zertez said:
Ive tried playing the game a few times now over the months and I quit pretty early on. Is it easier to play through the first time with melee, or are magic users about the same difficulty? I like using magic classes, but the game is already difficult, do not want to make it even worse.

If you would like an early leg up, one that enables you to cruise through the first few %-1 worlds, roll a Royal. You start with a very handy spell that never goes out of date at any point through the game. You can get to grips with the layout and general speed with which you should be tackling things in Demon's Souls rather easily with the Royal, and then come back and see the game in a new light while you go face-to-ankle with 1-2, or worse yet, get caught wielding an enormous 2hd weapon in a small corridor :D

The spell isn't exclusive to the royal - they just happen to start with it, so jump on in and go for it!

The Old Monk is harder than it should be, I just can't seem to beat him and my bloodstain is in there is 40K souls that i could really do without losing!

Bankoiia

I regret putting so much points in my faith stat in order to use Wrath of God effectively. Now I'm getting my ass kicked in New Game+ as a result of never having touched the vitality or the endurance stat.

Now to make amends by unlocking 4-3 asap and grind those mantas into the ground.

Erudite

Hmm. I tried doing some reading up on how to defeat the Blue Dragon on the Wiki, but I can't really seem to get a clear answer as to whether or not it is possible to defeat it (within a reasonable time) with a character who has been focused purely on melee so far, and is soul level ~105 at this point (Just reached NG++). Can anyone clarify?

oracrest

Traced-Velocity said:
Hmm. I tried doing some reading up on how to defeat the Blue Dragon on the Wiki, but I can't really seem to get a clear answer as to whether or not it is possible to defeat it (within a reasonable time) with a character who has been focused purely on melee so far, and is soul level ~105 at this point (Just reached NG++). Can anyone clarify?

You can...

You need a missile weapon, like a crossbow or bow, and LOTS of arrows. You will shoot him a lot on his first perch, and at about 50% health, he will fly away to guard the big doorway in the next area. From there, You can run up past his fire (You must time your run precisely to do it between blasts.) From underneath him, you can continue to fire arrows at his chin until he dies.

Xtyle

I just made a post on Gamefaqs after going back to play this game today

Here's my post there
So when I played this game a year ago I had a soul level 95 character build with BBS and I got most of the pretty good items and gears but missing some like TOB and didn't do Mephistopheles quest or some of the tendency events. I think I was very close to the end game and somehow I stopped. Now I pick it up again and continue with my SL 95 character and after an hour of playing, I realized why I stopped last year.

This game is &*%##$^ confusing with all the tendency events. There is character tendency and there is world tendency and then there is specific events that you do in order, etc, etc. Bunch of secrets that are really hidden and not documented in game. It doesn't help that if you screw up in a playthrough, you can't have a second chance to correct it or it is difficult to do. I love the challenge and and most everything of this game but the tendency stuff is way too confusing. I really hope Dark Soul won't be as confusing.

Xtyle

Zeouterlimits said:
I can't find my Demon's Souls disk. It's not in it's box and I've checked every box I could find... I'm probably more upset than I should be.. :(

See if any game box is holding multiple discs.

bigben85 said:
I just made a post on Gamefaqs after going back to play this game today

Here's my post there
So when I played this game a year ago I had a soul level 95 character build with BBS and I got most of the pretty good items and gears but missing some like TOB and didn't do Mephistopheles quest or some of the tendency events. I think I was very close to the end game and somehow I stopped. Now I pick it up again and continue with my SL 95 character and after an hour of playing, I realized why I stopped last year.

This game is &*%##$^ confusing with all the tendency events. There is character tendency and there is world tendency and then there is specific events that you do in order, etc, etc. Bunch of secrets that are really hidden and not documented in game. It doesn't help that if you screw up in a playthrough, you can't have a second chance to correct it or it is difficult to do. I love the challenge and and most everything of this game but the tendency stuff is way too confusing. I really hope Dark Soul won't be as confusing.

none of those events are needed to beat the game. not every game needs to hold your hand and guide you to every secret/etc.

if you want to find the answers to these questions you can online. i think it makes the community aspect a lot better than most games

Erudite

oracrest said:
You can...

You need a missile weapon, like a crossbow or bow, and LOTS of arrows. You will shoot him a lot on his first perch, and at about 50% health, he will fly away to guard the big doorway in the next area. From there, You can run up past his fire (You must time your run precisely to do it between blasts.) From underneath him, you can continue to fire arrows at his chin until he dies.
Hmm okay. Guess I'll just need to bring a boat load of arrows then. Thanks

Xtyle

FrenchMovieTheme said:
none of those events are needed to beat the game. not every game needs to hold your hand and guide you to every secret/etc.

if you want to find the answers to these questions you can online. i think it makes the community aspect a lot better than most games

I realize that you don't need to do these events to beat the game, however, it is suggested to get them done on early playthrough as the rewards help on NG+...it is the reasons I didn't beat the game and stopped playing

A friend just bought a PS3. First game I made him buy? Demon Souls.

He texted me later that night "This is one of the greatest games I have played.."

*Cue epic opera music*

oracrest

Traced-Velocity said:
Hmm okay. Guess I'll just need to bring a boat load of arrows then. Thanks

Yep, it's long, and boring. Overload yourself with arrows, up to the limit. The worst is when you spend the better part of an hour firing at him, only to run out before he dies :/

Bring a book to read, heh.

droopy

I've been
Old Monking
to get my character tendency down for the Foe Ring and go for Platinum. People do not invest enough in Vitality.
About 300 damage from a great sword hit has killed a few people at sl70. I'd hate playing this game and getting one-shotted by pick-axe miners and other common enemies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
oracrest said:
You can...

Yeah, I actually did this without
running under his chin (couldn't time the bloody blasts and just got fed up),
so it probably took longer than it should if you factor in distance affecting the damage dealt by each arrow.

It's a long old slog, but worth it if you want those souls/trophies ;)

oracrest

B-Genius said:
Yeah, I actually did this without
running under his chin (couldn't time the bloody blasts and just got fed up),
so it probably took longer than it should if you factor in distance affecting the damage dealt by each arrow.

It's a long old slog, but worth it if you want those souls/trophies ;)

Yeah, it's possible, and safer, to just do it from the bottom of the stairs. I tried a few times with my first level 1, only to run out of arrows right when he was at a pixel of health. With that character, I HAD to run up and underneath him to cause more damage with each shot. Such a frustrating trial and error process that was.... :/

saw the e3 trailer.......i can't even remember the last time i was this stoked for a game!

and stuck on 1-4, that boss is an asshole :(

Xtyle

To get Pure Black World Tendency in World 2, do I just die in World 2 7 times in body form? This is to so I can fight Black Phantom Scirvir (for Talisman of Beasts). And is there side effects of dying in body form?

Johnas

bigben85 said:
To get Pure Black World Tendency in World 2, do I just die in World 2 7 times in body form? This is to so I can fight Black Phantom Scirvir (for Talisman of Beasts). And is there side effects of dying in body form?

Correct, if you're at pure white. If World 2's tendency is somewhere in between, you may not need to die that many times. No real side effects to dying in bodily form, other than negatively impacting world tendency (as you're aware) and putting you in soul form, where you have lessened HP (but you know that).

Just beat Old King Doran for the first time tonight, such a cool suit of armor. I didn't realize how nimble it is, or how cumbersome Yurt's gear was in comparison.

I've picked this game up again after putting it aside for a while.

My character is at soul level 44. My I've upped my strength a bunch to be able to equip the meat cleaver. It's a pretty good weapon (mostly 1 hit kills), but I still die when there's multiple enemies or when my enemy gets the first hit.

My spells so far are: soul arrow, soul ray, flame toss, warding (pretty good one).

I've cleared 1-1, 1-2 (can't go further until I kill some archdemon or sumtin), 2-1, 2-2, and 3-1 and 4-1 and 5-1. (If I recall correctly).

Any tips from experienced players as to where to go next, which stats up upgrade, items to look for?

perryfarrell said:

I've cleared 1-1, 1-2 (can't go further until I kill some archdemon or sumtin)
, 2-1, 2-2, and 3-1 and 4-1 and 5-1. (If I recall correctly).

Any tips from experienced players as to where to go next, which stats up upgrade, items to look for?

You should head to 2-3

wilflare

bone_and_sinew said:
$19.99 is too much for you?

Shit I bought this around Black Friday for $15 with the soundtrack CD and I regret not buying it Day 1 for full price.

it's not too much.. but there's a backlog and i would want to avoid a situation where the price drops and i've yet to even touch the game.

Ok, so now I'm battling this friggin demon god (2-3). Without a wiki, it's totally unclear what to do. The wiki says: hit the rubble, hide from the demon behind pillars, if his eyes turn from yellow to red: run!, and get to the spear devices.

I've died about 15 times. It's just a crap shoot. So cheap!

I looooove the mechanics and art style of this game (haven't played anything like it in YEARS), but the bosses and some of the other enemies are just so infuriatingly cheap.

Edit: OK, got 'em. Still...

Allright, just killed Penetrator with the help of a blue dude I summoned. What do these evaluations mean anyways? Is S better than A?

Edit: And now I killed Maneater too with some other blue guy.

I luuuv this game, despite its flaws.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Zeouterlimits said:
I can't find my Demon's Souls disk. It's not in it's box and I've checked every box I could find... I'm probably more upset than I should be.. :(

If already in the system this would be a funny post.

bigben85 said:
I realize that you don't need to do these events to beat the game, however, it is suggested to get them done on early playthrough as the rewards help on NG+...it is the reasons I didn't beat the game and stopped playing

balls to that. i think the reason most people would suggest to do them early is because the black phantoms etc. are easier to kill in NG. doing them early though would mean following guides which would imo spoil the sense of discovery in your first playthrough. most of the rewards are going to be things you'll never use anyway (depending on your build of course)

in short, don't stop playing just because you want to be a completionist on your first run. if it's about trophies it's going to take 3.5 runs through the game to get them all minimum. there's plenty of time for tendency events.

warpaint

question how long would you say it will take to finish this just once , would i be able to do it before dark souls come's out ?

Erudite

Just depends how quick you pick up on the game's nuiances and how much time you take to go exploring. With that in mind, I'd say any where from 25-40 hours for your first go through.

Took me 15 hours to beat the first level (no help, no wiki, etc.). I think I was a good 90 hours in when I finished.

Of course by my third or fourth build I could finish the game without dying at all - but still. I'd be prepared for 60 hours minimum if I were you.

finally beat the game after dying on false king allant at like 1%. new game+ seems to be more challenging, may go for that after i finish finals...

thoughts on the game:
+ atmosphere/immersion is amazing.
+ difficulty isn't horrible at all. it's wonderful screaming after i killed a boss, feels like i actually accomplished something in a video game for the first time since i beat contra hard corps without save states.
+ gameplay is awesome and unique.
+ levels and environments are extremely well done and clever.
+ enemies are extremely well done and the fact that they are all dangerous is awesome.
+ characters are interesting and there are tons of side things to do. i spent a ton of time killing the dragons and old king doran. fun!
- game desperately needs an economy. there has to be something better to do with dumb shit like mail breakers aside from dropping/banking them.
- glitches can be extremely frustrating.
- plague/poison mechanics seem really kinda thrown on there (especially in world 5) to make royal lotus actually useful
- lock-on needs a bit of work/tweaking so it's easier to see who you are targeting and where the target is.
- game needs to explain itself better, i shouldn't have to use a wiki to figure out why the fuck i can't wield a bow.
- item burden and equip burden need to be better explained/documented so i know wtf they do.

overall this game is probably one of the greatest games i have ever played. people aren't overexaggerating how amazing this game is and if you are reading this and you haven't played it yet, you need to. and dark souls is the first game i've been excited to play in a long long long time.

oracrest said:

I'm pleased you are posting your deaths as well, makes me feel better about my 203987203482 deaths.

Also oracrest, did you attack the nameless soldier sitting on the steps in the nexus? There was a bloodstain when I started today at the starting shrine with your exact armor combo, scimitar and shield you've been going through the vids with. Uncanny!

edit: here is the guy in the nexus, first Youtube upload. I need a vidcapture card cause video from camera sucks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IelE-4WzYA

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
I'm pleased you are posting your deaths as well, makes me feel better about my 203987203482 deaths.

Also oracrest, did you attack the nameless soldier sitting on the steps in the nexus? There was a bloodstain when I started today at the starting shrine with your exact armor combo, scimitar and shield you've been going through the vids with. Uncanny!

Yeah, I figure including the deaths would be fun. I will at least edit them together, and save the full level playthroughs for first exploring the level, and the final victory run.

That wasn't me online. the console I am using isn't connected.

oracrest said:
Yeah, I figure including the deaths would be fun. I will at least edit them together, and save the full level playthroughs for first exploring the level, and the final victory run.

That wasn't me online. the console I am using isn't connected.

you know, when you think about it, even though it's not necessary and would be excess programming and whatnot, their should have been an alternate ending for beating it as a level 1.

for one thing, the juxtaposition of
the ending where you kill the black maiden and you are essentially corrupt at the end of the game, when they were looking for a savior and you turned into something like the next old one, only this time you would have rejected the upgrades through souls and thus you have not been corrupted, would've been awesome. going through the game again I just see the brilliance of design that each level has. where before, the Soldier's and Hero's Souls you redeem weren't worth much, now you can appreciate them more. things like in the first level where you can gather up turpentine and then use them on the phalanx at the end, it almost seems like this game was made to be played after beating NG+++ and just go through with a level 1 subsistence style and realize that everything you have learned throughout the game makes it totally possible to play through without level upgrades. this is probably one of the few games I can go back again and again and appreciate. I'm so looking forward to Dark Souls!

Xtyle

I beat the game today for the first time after getting TOB from Scirvir. The last boss was piss easy. Not sure I want to play NG+ if nothing's changed other than difficulty.

Xtyle

Mr_Appleby said:
balls to that. i think the reason most people would suggest to do them early is because the black phantoms etc. are easier to kill in NG. doing them early though would mean following guides which would imo spoil the sense of discovery in your first playthrough. most of the rewards are going to be things you'll never use anyway (depending on your build of course)

in short, don't stop playing just because you want to be a completionist on your first run. if it's about trophies it's going to take 3.5 runs through the game to get them all minimum. there's plenty of time for tendency events.

Yup I went ahead and beat it. I never really care about trophies/achives but I like getting gears. I was totally satisfied after beating the last boss.

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
you know, when you think about it, even though it's not necessary and would be excess programming and whatnot, their should have been an alternate ending for beating it as a level 1.

for one thing, the juxtaposition of
the ending where you kill the black maiden and you are essentially corrupt at the end of the game, when they were looking for a savior and you turned into something like the next old one, only this time you would have rejected the upgrades through souls and thus you have not been corrupted, would've been awesome. going through the game again I just see the brilliance of design that each level has. where before, the Soldier's and Hero's Souls you redeem weren't worth much, now you can appreciate them more. things like in the first level where you can gather up turpentine and then use them on the phalanx at the end, it almost seems like this game was made to be played after beating NG+++ and just go through with a level 1 subsistence style and realize that everything you have learned throughout the game makes it totally possible to play through without level upgrades. this is probably one of the few games I can go back again and again and appreciate. I'm so looking forward to Dark Souls!

Yeah, that would be a cool story arc. Makes a lot of sense. I really hope Dark Souls is structured in a way that you can play through as a level 1. All signs say yes.

I'm near the endgame and I only have one boss left to trigger the finale, except for World 1 the rest are in PWWT. Would I still be able to trigger the PBWT events from this point if I decide to go black now?

oracrest

SonicX_Zero said:
I'm near the endgame and I only have one boss left to trigger the finale, except for World 1 the rest are in PWWT. Would I still be able to trigger the PBWT events from this point if I decide to go black now?

Yeah, you can suicide your way to full black. I think you can still do it after world 1, although you are restricted from leveling up your character.

oracrest, I've been busy lately so I've only got around to watching up to 1-2 of your videos, but already I'm amazed at how you slashed at the bosses' ankles until he fell over and then sliced his head, haha. I was a bitch and fired lots of soul arrows from the top :)

This is why I'm going to love catching up with the rest of your videos and all of the future ones you do, you're approaching things so differently to me and I'm seeing how varied the game can be. It just makes it more amazing you're level 1!

oracrest said:
Yeah, you can suicide your way to full black. I think you can still do it after world 1, although you are restricted from leveling up your character.
Thanks for the confirmation, I didn't want to finish 1-4 because I still wasn't sure if I could do PBWT events and use the souls I earn for some levels. =)

Zertez

Is the order you do the levels important? I finished 1-1 and then all the archstones opened up. I have no idea which way to go now. Hopefully they are all about the same difficulty, but I wish they would give you a little idea of what to expect.

Top Bottom