• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Just pick one and see how you do. Some are harder than others based on your play style etc.

Half the fun is exploring them and then deciding to try and stick with it to completion, or to go to another world. :)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So I have a question about the foe ring. I have all the levels except 1-3 and 1-4 left.

How does Ostravia work? I haven't saved him in 1-2 yet. Can I rescue Biorr and have him help me with the 1-3 boss then go back and kill Ostravia later? Last time he wound up on the steps in 1-4 and killed himself again because he didn't show up in 1-3 because apparently having the gate open before makes it so he won't show up in that level.

Just don't want to mess this up before I go into NG+++. Sorry about the spoilers but I don't know if the whole thing still applies for this game.

RiccochetJ said:
So I have a question about the foe ring. I have all the levels except 1-3 and 1-4 left.

How does Ostravia work? I haven't saved him in 1-2 yet. Can I rescue Biorr and have him help me with the 1-3 boss then go back and kill Ostravia later? Last time he wound up on the steps in 1-4 and killed himself again because he didn't show up in 1-3 because apparently having the gate open before makes it so he won't show up in that level.

Just don't want to mess this up before I go into NG+++. Sorry about the spoilers but I don't know if the whole thing still applies for this game.

well the foe ring is something completely different than the Ostrava quests.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/foe-s-ring

you get the foe ring from mepshistopheles in the nexus for doing her quest. as far as ostrava killing himself in 1-4 he does that every time if you've saved him throughout the levels. if your looking for the mausoleum key you can just kill him in the first level when you start your NG+++, i like to nudge him off the platform and let the demons do the work for me. i dont know about the whole Biorr thing, you might go back to where Ostrava is and check to see if he is still there.

Olde_Tyme_Ninja

Neo Member
I'm getting ready to finish my first playthrough and was wondering if I can still get mepshistopheles to show up, I am at the point where I need to talk to the Black Maiden?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
JackSmithy said:
well the foe ring is something completely different than the Ostrava quests.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/foe-s-ring

you get the foe ring from mepshistopheles in the nexus for doing her quest. as far as ostrava killing himself in 1-4 he does that every time if you've saved him throughout the levels. if your looking for the mausoleum key you can just kill him in the first level when you start your NG+++, i like to nudge him off the platform and let the demons do the work for me. i dont know about the whole Biorr thing, you might go back to where Ostrava is and check to see if he is still there.
Yea, the thing is I've already killed 3 of the NPC's and Biorr is next on my list and then it'll be Ostravia. I just want to make sure that if Biorr helps be with the 1-3 boss that I can go kill Ostravia after that instead of him warping to 1-4 which to be honest, he's kind of a pain to get to and I don't know if it'll count as a kill :)

Melfice7

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just pick one and see how you do. Some are harder than others based on your play style etc.

Half the fun is exploring them and then deciding to try and stick with it to completion, or to go to another world. :)

Not important unless you want to open 1-3, for that you need to kill the boss of 2-3 or 4-3

RiccochetJ said:
Yea, the thing is I've already killed 3 of the NPC's and Biorr is next on my list and then it'll be Ostravia. I just want to make sure that if Biorr helps be with the 1-3 boss that I can go kill Ostravia after that instead of him warping to 1-4 which to be honest, he's kind of a pain to get to and I don't know if it'll count as a kill :)

wow that was a mindblank, forgot ostrava was on the kill list. i think if he is dead (in whatever way) mephistopheles will just skip over to Yuria. thats what happens when other members are already dead like patches and biorr.

I'm getting ready to finish my first playthrough and was wondering if I can still get mepshistopheles to show up, I am at the point where I need to talk to the Black Maiden?

best way to find out is to get black character tendency and go up the next level of the nexus and check for her

How do I check my online evaluation? I haven't invaded any games as blue or red phantom, but I have invited blue phantoms and killed a few red ones....

RiccochetJ said:
Ha! Rogue's Trophy is mine! Thank you JackSmithy!

grats, now get to invadin'!

perryfarrell said:
How do I check my online evaluation? I haven't invaded any games as blue or red phantom, but I have invited blue phantoms and killed a few red ones....

drop your blue stone and review it

Allright, only 1-4 left to do. Killed the blue dragon already, so have only Old King Aliant left to do.

But I may just wait a bit, so I can get some more weapons and do some invading/inviting of phantoms... because that will disappear once I finish the game right?

Overall, best console game I've played since Resident Evil 4 and can't wait for Dark Souls.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Beat the game a couple of days ago, must say that it easily qualifies as one of my favorite games this gen, if not ever. If they add just a little bit more story(but absolutely not too much, I don't want it to turn into a blathering FF-wannabee) in Dark Souls it will easily be GOTF.

Some of my favorite moments:

- The first time you run inte the red dragon in 1-1, really epic!

- Grinding for pure bladestone for several hours without getting one and then getting two in a row just when I was about to give up.

- Tower of latria, probably my favorite stage just great design

- But what I like most of all is that what makes you beat those tough sections or bosses(hello maneater and King Allent) isn't levelling up but deciding on the best gameplan from your specific build and then executing it perfectly.

For Dark Souls I'd like:

- As I said above, a little bit more story. I'd like it to be optional though, like reading weapon descriptions or stuff like that. Perhaps some version of the scan-thing from Metroid Prime?

- A bit more varied locations. I sometimes felt that the locations got a bit oppressive in their gloominess. Contrasting beautyful with more horrendous locatons would be a great way to enhance the experience and toy with the players expectations.

Now, on to NG+(after I've taken some time off to catch up all the sleep I've lost due to this game).

Firespray, a nice magic level, and being good with doges makes Allant a big sissy.

I played through several worlds the first time as a pure melee guy, so on my second attempt with a mage, those skills I picked up controlling the distance and proper rolling really made my more nimble footed spell caster untouchable to most bosses.

Teknoman

Probably still going Bow/Sword&Shield/Miracle magic for Dark Souls.

Anyway back to my "first time playthough" (quotes since I lost my save on my ylod 60 gig)...the other day I was shooting the Red Dragon in 1-1 while it was resting next to the Blue Dragon. I guess I wasnt paying attention since it was at half health, and I thought about 3 dozen more arrows should do it (lol), next thing I know, its just gone.

I dunno if it just flew away because it was at half health, or it was just time for it to do bridge patrol...but kinda sucks I missed getting its soul/souls, unless its back when I reload. Managed to grab all the items under the Blue Dragon though, so theres that.

Had no idea there was a ring of strength that raised equipment burden rates.

web01

If anyone on EU servers can help me with the Pure Bladestone and Pure Marrowstone weapon trophies it would be appreciated.

SL 132 but can level down.
PSN: webb0001

Teknoman said:
Probably still going Bow/Sword&Shield/Miracle magic for Dark Souls.

Anyway back to my "first time playthough" (quotes since I lost my save on my ylod 60 gig)...the other day I was shooting the Red Dragon in 1-1 while it was resting next to the Blue Dragon. I guess I wasnt paying attention since it was at half health, and I thought about 3 dozen more arrows should do it (lol), next thing I know, its just gone.

I dunno if it just flew away because it was at half health, or it was just time for it to do bridge patrol...but kinda sucks I missed getting its soul/souls, unless its back when I reload. Managed to grab all the items under the Blue Dragon though, so theres that.

Had no idea there was a ring of strength that raised equipment burden rates.

can't kill the dragons in 1-1. red dragon can die in 1-2 and blue in 1-4

Truant

Taking another shot at this game. Tried out the soldier, but he's slow as hell.

What class has some attack and roll speed? I've heard Wanderer is fast, but he looks frail. Tips please!

one85x

Wanderer would be a good choice if you want speed out of the gate. Roll speed is tied to your equip burden though. If it's above 50%, then you won't be able to roll effectively.

Lookin for co-op partner for final boss, Old King Aliant. I'll be wandering through 1-4 to see blue signs. Apparently you can't summon right in front of the elevator before the final boss?

Finally finished this game. 60-something hours, around 250 deaths... Superb game, easily the best I've played this gen.

The good:

- Art style. Environment, characters, bosses, music... Seriously. This is what happens when you let designers with a consistent, overarching vision create a fantastical, engrossing world. The art is mature--there's no appealing to some lowest common denominator. Medieval has been done gazillions of times, of course. But these guys pull it off without cliches, while adding their own twists.

I'd have given up on this game if it hadn't drawn me in again and again with the amazing art.

- Game play. The game play is mechanically sound, given you lots of control over the character. There are canned attack animations, but they don't take away from the sense that you are in charge. The same thing applies to stats, the weapons you pick up, the order in which you play the levels. Whenever I see other players in-game, they've got different weapons from mine, different stats, and probably tackled the levels in a diff. order. That's because it's all up to you.

- No fluff. No bullshit story, no quicktime events, no fetch quests, no puzzles, no unnecessarily long cut scenes, nothing on rails... Just pure game play, where the goal is to overcome obstacles in order to advance through a hostile environment. I hope they keep it that way in Dark Souls. I don't want to have to fetch multiple shards of some rune that will open a door, etc. etc.

The bad:

- Sometimes cheap. I had to put the game aside several times due to the frustration from cheap enemies and bosses. The game actually gets easier as you go along (something I didn't expect), so if you have given up make sure to try again, cuz it gets better.

And it's not just that battles can be difficult. Sometimes NPCs appear in locations in the game where you'd never look. For instance, when I first freed Saint Freke I didn't know he would appear in the Nexus hidden around some corner. Why would I ever look in that place?

In this game, few things are explained to the player. In some cases, it actually adds to the oppressive atmosphere in the game. But sometimes it hampers progress because you have to stumble upon something in an illogical place.

But, all in all, this game has turned me into a From Software fanboi for lyfe.

Truant said:
Taking another shot at this game. Tried out the soldier, but he's slow as hell.

What class has some attack and roll speed? I've heard Wanderer is fast, but he looks frail. Tips please!
Thief is always great. Or even barbarian. Things is being able to upgrade your character however you wish as you go. Starting out is a different story. Keep an eye on things like equip burden. If you want to roll its really just a matter of removing some armor. Especially on a knight or soldier.

Olde_Tyme_Ninja

Neo Member
Finished my first playthrough. Little disappointed/relieved at the final fight. So naturally I started my New Game+, about 2 min. into 1-1 I get invaded. Totally forgot I was "alive" and started to spaz out as I've only been invaded once cause I was dead 99% of my time playing. Beat him in an epic 10 duel ,phew! Then proceeded to take a misstep off of the stairs and plummet to my death......

As soon as you let yourself get a little confident the game puts you back in your place...underneath it's boot, then you ask for more, lol

So I was casually browsing this thread this morning, and decided to run to Target and grab a copy of this game to give it another shot. Played it when it first came out, but gave up right away (I was in the middle of so many other games).

Well lo and behold, after 6 hours, I am finally finished with the first level, and I kid you not, this is the most satisfying gaming day I've had in the past 10 years. So incredibly awesome. Every single moment. And I've only just returned to the Nexus. Hoooooooly shit this game might be my favorite ever.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You betcha! Keep us updated sir :)

web01

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So I was casually browsing this thread this morning, and decided to run to Target and grab a copy of this game to give it another shot. Played it when it first came out, but gave up right away (I was in the middle of so many other games).

Well lo and behold, after 6 hours, I am finally finished with the first level, and I kid you not, this is the most satisfying gaming day I've had in the past 10 years. So incredibly awesome. Every single moment. And I've only just returned to the Nexus. Hoooooooly shit this game might be my favorite ever.

Dude thats awesome the first level took me just as long.
Stick at it though because it will get easier the more you play.

Johnas

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Welcome. I look forward to a few boss battles you will inevitably post about soon.

I know you're still early, but are you aware of the sequel, Dark Souls? Coming this October. Looks to be even better than Demon's Souls.

Teknoman

Johnas said:
Welcome. I look forward to a few boss battles you will inevitably post about soon.

I know you're still early, but are you aware of the sequel, Dark Souls? Coming this October. Looks to be even better than Demon's Souls.

He's going to flip when he encounters
Maneater

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Teknoman said:
Maneaters
Fixed.

Johnas

Teknoman said:
Maneater

Yoshi completely stole my post. :p

I'm currently playing
NG++ on PWWT
, and wow does that make the game easier. My
NG+ was mostly pure black
, I'm amazed at the difference. Of course, my skills have improved quite a bit too, but still.

(spoiler tagged for Shoteh just in case)

I'm just in shock at the pure awesomeness of this game. I am honestly overwhelmed after finishing the first level, and I'm eating some pizza and drinking some beer to calm down. My character is standing in the Nexus. I think this is the longest my PS3 has ever been on at one time. I am going to finish my pizza, and then spend the 10,000 souls I have, then venture forth. I'm following the suggested level order posted in this thread, and I have the newbie tips handy. So good.

Teknoman

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm just in shock at the pure awesomeness of this game. I am honestly overwhelmed after finishing the first level, and I'm eating some pizza and drinking some beer to calm down. My character is standing in the Nexus. I think this is the longest my PS3 has ever been on at one time. I am going to finish my pizza, and then spend the 10,000 souls I have, then venture forth. I'm following the suggested level order posted in this thread, and I have the newbie tips handy. So good.

Protip: Never EVER leave your controller sitting on a soft surface near an NPC in the Nexus.

RyanDG

I just have to post in here that I finally beat the vanguard with a level 1 character in the tutorial. Hell yeah.

Edit: My wife didn't care. :(

Teknoman said:
Protip: Never EVER leave your controller sitting on a soft surface near an NPC in the Nexus.

about the most important advice you can give someone!

my DS3 has a loose R2.. even since "the incident"
sorry patches. but you're an arsehole anyway
i play with ye olde sixaxis.

Yoshichan

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
DON'T STAND NEAR A NPC WHEN YOU GO AFK!!!

anyone level 1-10 want to do the boss special event with me? it seems there aren't many people around my level at 3-3.

edit: nevermind got em :)

good lord maneater was hard at level 1. i tried allant but i think its going to be a while before i down him or ol' flamelurker

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Tutorial level

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1 ,2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1 ,2 ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1 ,2 ,3 ,4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1 ,2 ,3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3

JackSmithy said:
good lord maneater was hard at level 1.

Yeah, he was my bottleneck so far. On the first body run, I got stuck in rubble collision, and couldn't get out, so he killed me pretty fast. On the second run, I killed one, and got the second down to around 5-10% health before dodging to the side, and right off the bridge, heh. 25 deaths later..... Finally took them down :) I discovered that like Flamelurker, this guy seems to be easier for me to battle if I stay away from lock-on. The way he dives straight through you, when locked on, it can cause your roll to wheel around with the camera, and right off the edge...

Vitten

Oracrest, not sure if you know this but you can cast the second chance miracle even as an sl 1 royal. Equip silver coronet, ring of devout prayer, silver catalyst in one hand and talisman in the other and you're good to go. Keep up a good stock of old spice which shouldn't be hard as you have nothing much to spend your souls on anyway.

Using second chance and hyper mode sniping/soul raying is what made sl1 ng+ also possible for me.

Top Bottom