• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

EasyMode

squall211 said:
Ok I need to know how to do something, and keep in mind I'm new to the game so I don't really know the intricacies of DS.

Anyway, I'm playing world 3-2, and I get to the point where you apparently need PWWT to continue on (so that a bridge or a platform appears). What's the easiest way to get PWWT? I was playing in body form in that world and ended up dying by falling off of a ledge. So, how can I go about changing the tendancy to what I need?
That path you're talking about is optional. You don't need PWWT to finish any stage.

Killing bosses is the most common way to raise tendency, but killing invading black phantoms also works. People in body form often suicide in the nexus to avoid the problem you mentioned.

EasyMode

Zeth said:
Edit: Also can I get anything better than silver catalyst on my first play through? Sage Freke can make me an insanity catalyst with one of my souls but it seems a bit shit considering it halves my MP.

TL;DR: what's my best bet for upgrading the Royal starting wizard armor?
The wooden catalyst actually does more damage than the silver one, and the Talisman of Beasts does even more damage (and it casts miracles too).

As for armor that depends on your character's gender. For male, the Venerable Sage's outfit is nice and light (3-1). For female, the Binded armor (1-1). But both of those need pure white world tendency to get. Otherwise the leather armor sold in 4-1 offers more protection than the wizard's outfit.

EasyMode

oracrest said:
double post!

I found and uploaded all the Boss end credits images.

Demon's Souls gallery

P.S. Does anyone here have a character of Soul Level 1-10 with 5-2 unlocked, that could help me out with something online? PM or respond here.
Nice gallery. I've never seen a lot of that fan art :).

Did anyone help you with that request? I started a new character last night that's still under level 10. NA version, but I still need to finish 5-1.

Edit: Shit. Sorry for the posting spree...

BitchTits

Arrrrrggghhh! I just lost 13000 souls!... I died again before I could get them back >_<

I did kill the Phalanx on my first try though it was much easier than I expected.

I lost 8000 and wanted to kill myself as a low level character.

I know it doesn't help now, but you'll be walking around with 100,000+ easily in a couple of hours. It really is nothing in the grand scheme of it all!

squall211

BitchTits said:
Arrrrrggghhh! I just lost 13000 souls!... I died again before I could get them back >_<

I did kill the Phalanx on my first try though it was much easier than I expected.

From the few bosses I've killed, they actually seem pretty easy. It's getting to them in the first place that is the problem lol.

BitchTits said:

i remember when i lost 12000 and i thought it was the end of the world. you'll see soon enough that 13000 souls is chump change

Raide

Zoe said:
You have to spend them.

Hrmm...I can see that being a tough choice to make. Keep going to save more for better stuff and risk getting murdered, or only collect in small amounts.

Zoe

Raide said:
Hrmm...I can see that being a tough choice to make. Keep going to save more for better stuff and risk getting murdered, or only collect in small amounts.

I never really bought anything... I haven't tackled weapon forging yet though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Melfice7 said:
The most i lost was over 1 million :D
1.3 million here :p

It didn't even hurt because I got it all from trying to farm a pure bladestone and I was too preoccupied with that mess.

aesop said:
NG+ is ruining this game for me. Flamelurker is such a douche the second time around.
HAHA same here, so what did I do? Start a new character. Never going to 100% this game that way but I still have fun.

aesop

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
HAHA same here, so what did I do? Start a new character. Never going to 100% this game that way but I still have fun.

I don't care about completing the game 100% I just want to forge the damn Northern Regalia! Fuck you, Flamelurker. Get out of my way!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Haha, The True Demon's Souls starts there. Man it took me like 30 tries to beat him in NG+ with a melee character. With my mage character it took literally like 1 minute.

Shadybiz

Finally took the plunge and played this game last night. I definitely like it, and it is definitely HARD. I started a Wanderer character, and eventually got to the point where I was fighting the Phalanx. Beat him on the first try, but it took like 20 minutes. The game makes you work for it, that's for sure.

theta11

bone_and_sinew said:
1.3 million here :p

It didn't even hurt because I got it all from trying to farm a pure bladestone and I was too preoccupied with that mess.

Lucky, I gained over 17 million souls while farming for Pure Bladestone... =/

The most souls I've lost at once is around there 1.3 million as well and overall arouns 10 million across my 4 mains.

Eccocid

BitchTits said:
Is Thief a really bad class to start with or something? I like the fast movement, but feel like I'm hitting a brick wall already.

I can't seem to make it through the first level, so should I be farming souls to spend on better equipment and then try to go further into the level? I guess I'm a little confused over what I'm supposed to be doing since it seems like actually completing the level is beyond my lowly character at the moment. (Still loving the game though!)

Backstab everything! Backstab like there is no tomorrow! Backstab for massive damage and when in danger do the barrel roll!

I started as a Thief at my first run in Asian version. I learnt the game in hard way but now it made me really good at flanking enemies and backstabbing them lol

An MMO with demons souls gameplay would be awesome.

I'd mix like Demons Souls and The Record of Lodoss war together or something.

Huge battle and mega dragon comes in and sweeps both armies. sweeeet.

Zeth

I desperately need a pure moonstone for the moon spear +5. All the lizards I've killed who drop them only gave me chunks. I just killed the crystal lizards in 3-2 and 3-3 and both gave me chunks more than once. Now that I killed the old monk I know I have at least one more shot at a lizard. Is there any simple way to get pure white or tendency or something so I can get a pure moon? I've never paid attention to world tendency it's my first play through.

Edit: did some research. I just need to get world 3 to pure black. This is not easy is it?

one85x

Zeth said:
I desperately need a pure moonstone for the moon spear +5. All the lizards I've killed who drop them only gave me chunks. I just killed the crystal lizards in 3-2 and 3-3 and both gave me chunks more than once. Now that I killed the old monk I know I have at least one more shot at a lizard. Is there any simple way to get pure white or tendency or something so I can get a pure moon? I've never paid attention to world tendency it's my first play through.

Edit: did some research. I just need to get world 3 to pure black. This is not easy is it?
It's easy. All you have to do is die in body form, resurrect yourself with a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes, and die again. Repeat until pure black. Also, it's kind of cheating, but
you can quit to the XMB if you don't get what you want from the lizard. The game doesn't save until you confirm the loot selection.

Vitten

Zeth said:

There is a 'trick' you can do to get your pure moonstone as long as you have at least one lizard left. After killing the lizard, press the x button to pick up the drop as you would normally do. However, if it's a chunk do NOT press x again to close the screen which shows the chunk but instead immediately quit the game with the PS button on the controller. If you now start the game again, the lizard will have respawned and you can try again. You can repeat the process until you get your pure.

Black tendency will double the chances of getting a pure.

oracrest

EasyMode said:
Did anyone help you with that request? I started a new character last night that's still under level 10. NA version, but I still need to finish 5-1.

I have a few guys offereing to help, but one is away on vacation, and I am trying to get my online sorted out, apparently PSN is having maintenance in my area.

The more the merrier though! Since, it may be hard to get schedules to line up.

Zeth

Insanity catalyst or Homing Soul Arrow (have enough mag for 5 orbs)? Such a tough decision. I'm PvE only and magic focused.

BTW that trick worked thanks both of you. Took about 4 tries but I have my maxed moon spear now! Now to get the dreaded spiderstones for my sticky bow. I hate the god damned geckos so much.

EasyMode

Zeth said:
Insanity catalyst or Homing Soul Arrow (have enough mag for 5 orbs)? Such a tough decision. I'm PvE only and magic focused.

BTW that trick worked thanks both of you. Took about 4 tries but I have my maxed moon spear now! Now to get the dreaded spiderstones for my sticky bow. I hate the god damned geckos so much.
Homing soul arrow for sure. It's one of the most powerful spells in the game, and very effective against certain bosses / NPCs.

agh the pure bladestone farming I gained and lost so many souls and time in trying to get that and never got a single one. That experience single handed put an end to my NG+. the chance to get that thing is so awful.

Krawlman said:
Regardless, I'm giving this game another round from the very beginning and it would be much appreciated if any of you Demon's Souls vets out there would give me some recommendations on starting characters, and possibly what you might consider this game's ideal stats. I see people posting online about the Royal being a good choice, any weight to this?

What starting class you pick ONLY matters in the very beginning. After that, you just upgrade whatever you want to upgrade. So you can start with a knight, and upgrade magic until your character becomes pretty much a mage. It's all very flexible.

There's nothing wrong with starting with a knight. Don't start over just because it's hard--it's supposed to be that way.

Look at some FAQs about the best way to proceed through the levels. I think I started in 2-1 or 3-1 before tackling 1-2. Also find the Thief ring (probably one of the most useful rings in the game). Proceed slowly, keep going back to the nexus to cash in your souls and level up.

KrawlMan

Posted this in a thread before, just moving it over here since this seems like the big Demon's souls community.

So I just picked up a PS3 and Demon's Souls. I love the style of the game, and the tough gameplay, but I could really use some advice for how exactly to go about starting this game.

I initially chose the Knight, and after having played through 1-1 and taking out the phalanx, I headed onto 1-2 and died over and over, losing my souls round after round in my attempts to cross the bridges and fight the hoards because: 1. I failed to remember that there was a run button, and 2. I didn't realize I could use my souls to level my character. Chalk it up to me just not paying enough attention.

Regardless, I'm giving this game another round from the very beginning and it would be much appreciated if any of you Demon's Souls vets out there would give me some recommendations on starting characters, and possibly what you might consider this game's ideal stats. I see people posting online about the Royal being a good choice, any weight to this?

perryfarrell said:
What starting class you pick ONLY matters in the very beginning. After that, you just upgrade whatever you want to upgrade. So you can start with a knight, and upgrade magic until your character becomes pretty much a mage. It's all very flexible.

There's nothing wrong with starting with a knight. Don't start over just because it's hard--it's supposed to be that way.

Look at some FAQs about the best way to proceed through the levels. I think I started in 2-1 or 3-1 before tackling 1-2. Also find the Thief ring (probably one of the most useful rings in the game). Proceed slowly, keep going back to the nexus to cash in your souls and level up.

I wouldn't be starting over because it's hard. I just had a friend inform me that the Knight was a poor choice (just assumed he knew what he was talking about). As of right now, the knight appears to be working out fine.
Also, I read somewhere about not using the souls you get from Boss Demons (like Phalanx)? Something about you being able to use those items for something else.

Zeth

As you progress and meet new NPCs you can use Demon's souls to get powerful unique weapons spells and miracles. Definitely hang on to them or reference the DS wikidot to see what each soul can be used for.

oracrest said:
"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Tutorial level

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3 (Phalanx)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2 (Tower Knight)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Armor Spider)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4 (Fool's Idol)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3 (Adjudicator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3 (Leechmonger)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Dirty Colossus)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Maiden Astrea/Garl Vinland)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Maneater)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone (Old Monk)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3 (Old Hero)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2 (Storm King)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Flamelurker)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone (Dragon God)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Penetrator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 White World Tendency - Executioner Miralda

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 White World Tendency - Lord Rydell part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 White World Tendency - Satsuki & Vanguard

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Black Phantom Trio part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Blue Dragon part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Penetrator Archstone - Old King Allant part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Old King Doran part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - World 1 PBWT - BP Miralda & Primeval Demon part 1, 2

I think I figured out a way to still get to all named BP's, but it will take some clever trickery on my part ;)

You my friend, are a God.

Ok here's the deal, i love this game but feel like i'm wasting my time. Why? Cause i didn't pay much attention at the beginning, lost a lot of souls... and didn't even went to that chick to upgrade my character right away. I also noticed those other guys that can give me spells and shit like way too late lol... atleast i think. But that's still not the main issue. I feel like i don't know anything. Like i skipped some tutorial part or something. You guys are talking about bladestones and stuff and i don't even know what that is ( my character is now at around level 35)... So , should i just retry the game from the beginning or something? And how is it even possible that you guys get 1 million souls... i don't even... how? even a boss gives you around 250000... so are there secret stuff? .. Also after reading a lot about it i still don't get these white tendency stuff and i feel like i never had it lol. I know there's a wiki and stuff but isn't there anywhere in the game where someone explains this stuff to you? PS: my character is magician or knight. anyway, i focused on the magic and i feel like it was the worst idea... always fucked by black phantoms... :( .. So yeah, love the game, but the lack of knowledge of it is kind of ruining the experience for me.

Mxrz

Nope.

Wiki is the best bet. It isn't as complicated as it seems. All WT is optional too.

- Saw it mentioned above, but armor is mostly useless after a point. In the later cycles the diff between the heaviest armor and being naked is like less than a hit in my experience.

- Class doesn't mean anything but starting stats. T. Knight & Royal are the only classes without wasted stat points from a pure numbers point.

thanks for the reply, but what i mean is that it's kinda lame to check on the wiki for stuff... I feel like cheating when reading about some 'super' weapon hidden somewhere. that's the kind of stuff i wanna find out myself. I'd like to know, what i 'should' know on wiki , and what i can discover myself in the game.

crpav

I have 2 copies of this game. One is the sealed limited edition and the other is the greatest hits version I got for cheap to play. I so want to play but it's so hard with WoW gripping me so tight. That and my immense backlog and current games I am trying to play like MLB 11 the Show, Mortal Kombat and other games.

I think I need to just rip it open and start playing.

oracrest

KrawlMan said:
...As of right now, the knight appears to be working out fine.
Also, I read somewhere about not using the souls you get from Boss Demons (like Phalanx)? Something about you being able to use those items for something else.

If your liking the knight, then go with it. That's how I played through the first time, and loved it. I just wanted to be the guy on the cover.

Yes, save your Boss souls. That is a good bit of advice. Be wary of the wiki. If your really stuck, check it, but try and discover as much within the game as possible. It's way more rewarding that way. My only small bit of advice would be to save all the soldiers/hero souls for when you are out, and need to stock up on grass, or need a small boost to be able to level up. They are best when in a pinch.

edit:
Americanmushroom said:
thanks for the reply, but what i mean is that it's kinda lame to check on the wiki for stuff... I feel like cheating when reading about some 'super' weapon hidden somewhere. that's the kind of stuff i wanna find out myself. I'd like to know, what i 'should' know on wiki , and what i can discover myself in the game.

The secrets in Demon's Souls are ambiguous by design. And there is a lot of it to unravel. I had been several playthroughs in before learning about small areas and shortcuts that I had never been to before. But certainly, the game is not meant to be completed 100% in a single go. Those things are there to provide new content and things to focus on in subsequent playthroughs. The fighting mechanic is such that you aren't missing out on finding some super weapon by missing out on those details. You can take down the final boss readily by simply upgrading whatever basic weapon you have come to enjoy using. Personally, I would recommend just playing through innocent the first go, and then start to explore the wiki afterwards, figure out how tendency works, and all that...

perhaps my one bit of a secret would be that
you can use the soul obtained from the flamelurker boss to give to the blacksmith in 2-1. He is the character that can make more advanced weapons for you. You must talk with him after you get it.

oracrest

"Sir Gafeon"

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Tutorial level

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace part 1 ,2 ,3 (Phalanx)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone part 1, 2 (Tower Knight)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Armor Spider)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria part 1, 2, ,3 ,4 (Fool's Idol)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms part 1, 2, 3 (Adjudicator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement part 1, 2, 3 (Leechmonger)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Dirty Colossus)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Maiden Astrea/Garl Vinland)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Maneater)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone (Old Monk)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone part 1, 2, 3 (Old Hero)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone part 1, 2 (Storm King)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (Flamelurker)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone (Dragon God)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone part 1, 2, 3, 4 (Penetrator)

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 White World Tendency - Executioner Miralda

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-3 White World Tendency - Lord Rydell part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 4-1 White World Tendency - Satsuki & Vanguard

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Black Phantom Trio part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Blue Dragon part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - Nexus - Mephistopheles part 6

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone - Penetrator Archstone - Old King Allant part 1, 2, 3

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - 1-1 Old King Doran part 1, 2, 3, 4

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - World 1 PBWT - BP Miralda & Primeval Demon part 1, 2

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - World 3 PBWT - BP Rydell & Primeval Demon

Demon's Souls level 1 playthrough - World 4 PBWT - BP Satsuki & Primeval Demon

edit: added world 4 PBWT

mikespit1200 said:
Is the water shield spell worth using to fight the flamelurker in 2-2? What are other fire resist items to get?

Are you using the ring of fire resistance as well?

BadData

Americanmushroom said:

I've had to check the Wiki for some stuff, but yeah you should definitely only do it if you're stuck or frustrated. For me it really helped to overcome the speedbump of getting into the game and figuring some secret stuff out (like that you have to have less than 50% of your equip rate if you want to run at top speed) but then you have to forget it.

It's tough for me, because I like reading about the game almost as much as playing it, because the mechanics on paper are almost as interesting as the experience of playing them.

Top Bottom