• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

K1LLER7

I HATE THIS GAME.
After all the struggles, I finished all the levels 2-5 and just beat the 1-3 penatrotor boss (after dying around 20 times) I decide to take a break for a while. So later, I try to load the disc and it gets to the black screen where the demon souls sign would usually come up, but now it just stays on the black screen. Fck this shit :(

tmarques

K1LLER7 said:
I HATE THIS GAME.
After all the struggles, I finished all the levels 2-5 and just beat the 1-3 penatrotor boss (after dying around 20 times) I decide to take a break for a while. So later, I try to load the disc and it gets to the black screen where the demon souls sign would usually come up, but now it just stays on the black screen. Fck this shit :(

Ugh. The fact that you can't copy your files has always scared me.

K1LLER7

tmarques said:
Ugh. The fact that you can't copy your files has always scared me.

hopefully your copy should be fine. just my bad luck, but the game was great while it lasted. Happy nothings wrond with the PS3 :)

oracrest

K1LLER7 said:
I HATE THIS GAME.

Other people that have had this issue got around with this:

If you are using a HDTV change your video output settings to 720p. I had the same problem and it worked. The game runs in 720 anyhow so it will not affect graphics. Try it, I'll bet it works.

I've had the same problem but it might sound wierd but if you press triangle so you bring up the options menu on the game disc and then press the start game from the option menu it usually starts for me. Hope it helped :)

K1LLER7

oracrest said:
Other people that have had this issue got around with this:

If you are using a HDTV change your video output settings to 720p. I had the same problem and it worked. The game runs in 720 anyhow so it will not affect graphics. Try it, I'll bet it works.

I've had the same problem but it might sound wierd but if you press triangle so you bring up the options menu on the game disc and then press the start game from the option menu it usually starts for me. Hope it helped :)

Oh snap! thanks. going to try it later. didn't think i could get it to work :)

theta11

Johnas said:
This is interesting. So basically, I should farm for pure bladestone in 4-2 instead of 4-1. I'll be doing that soon and I dread it.

Pure Bladestone only drops in 4-2, from the Black Skeleton in the secret passage by very very low chance, and from the black phantom Black Skeleton by very low chance.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I've got a pretty nice DS story from today:

Still on my first full playthrough despite having the game for years (imported JPN version but it kicked my ass too hard, picked up NSTC version this Jan.) Just beat the Maneaters after four tries or so. Then I went into 1-3 and barely lost my invasion fight, which knocked me back to Soul form. So I figure I'd head up to 3-3 because I had so little to lose. I knew nothing about 3-3.

After heading up the stairs a bit, I get a nice ominous cutscene that shows a black phantom being summoned. After the cutscene, I get a message saying "ARandomVillain" appears! Because of the name of the phantom and my being in Soul form, I figured that this was the devs using the story to introduce the concept of black phantoms with an AI for those who hadn't encountered one yet or played offline. The fight starts and it's a black phantom with some weird headgear that keeps shooting missiles at me. I thought several times about how good the AI was. That slowly wore me down, but after getting in some nice hits of my own, the phantom combos me well enough to kill me.

About 30 seconds later in the Nexus I get a PSN message from my "AI" opponent that just said "GG." My mind was blown so thoroughly that I'm still scraping grey matter off my walls!

The people that made this game are a bunch of twisted goddamn geniuses. That is all.

The Crimson Kid said:
My mind was blown so thoroughly that I'm still scraping grey matter off my walls!

jack_nicholson_approve_gif.gif

tmarques

K1LLER7 said:
hopefully your copy should be fine. just my bad luck, but the game was great while it lasted. Happy nothings wrond with the PS3 :)

I don't think anyone is 100% safe from their data getting corrupted. What if there's a power outage, for instance? I also HATE that you can't even frigging pause this game. I got killed early on because I hit the HOME button thinking it would pause the game while I took a phone call. I understand why they've made these design decisions, but I think they've taken it a bit too far.

Other than that, I'm absolutely addicted to this game. I hated the first several hours, but I can't put it down now. First game since... Battletoads? where I actually get some sense of accomplishment after beating a stage.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
Hey guys. This is my first post here on GAF as my account was finally activated.

So anyways, Demon's Souls sat on my shelf for probably a year or so after just fiddling with it here and there. Well I recently decided to spend some time on it and after beating Phalanx, I'm addicted.

I'm going back and forth between this and The Witcher 2 but so far I've completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and am currently working on 3-1 after getting my ass handed to me several times by Flamelurker. Pretty confident I can take out Fool's Idol tonight and maybe either try out 4-1 or take another stab at Flamelurker.

Looking forward to keeping up with this thread and sharing stories.

Welcome to NeoGAF, cjsnapp! Flamelurker is, in my opinion, by far the most difficult boss and I usually beat him last unless I'm playing as a mage. He's quite sensitive to soul arrows/rays.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The Crimson Kid said:
I've got a pretty nice DS story from today:

Still on my first full playthrough despite having the game for years (imported JPN version but it kicked my ass too hard, picked up NSTC version this Jan.) Just beat the Maneaters after four tries or so. Then I went into 1-3 and barely lost my invasion fight, which knocked me back to Soul form. So I figure I'd head up to 3-3 because I had so little to lose. I knew nothing about 3-3.

After heading up the stairs a bit, I get a nice ominous cutscene that shows a black phantom being summoned. After the cutscene, I get a message saying "ARandomVillain" appears! Because of the name of the phantom and my being in Soul form, I figured that this was the devs using the story to introduce the concept of black phantoms with an AI for those who hadn't encountered one yet or played offline. The fight starts and it's a black phantom with some weird headgear that keeps shooting missiles at me. I thought several times about how good the AI was. That slowly wore me down, but after getting in some nice hits of my own, the phantom combos me well enough to kill me.

About 30 seconds later in the Nexus I get a PSN message from my "AI" opponent that just said "GG." My mind was blown so thoroughly that I'm still scraping grey matter off my walls!

The people that made this game are a bunch of twisted goddamn geniuses. That is all.
It's moments like these that make Demon's Souls online a truly special experience. Sure, the entire game can be played offline but things like these can't be replicated. Just wait until the moment when you're healed during an intense boss fight because someone recommended one of your messages, feels so awesome.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
archnemesis said:
Welcome to NeoGAF, cjsnapp! Flamelurker is, in my opinion, by far the most difficult boss and I usually beat him last unless I'm playing as a mage. He's quite sensitive to soul arrows/rays.

Thanks! Yeah, I realized not long ago that I have a Catalyst to enable me to use Soul Arrow now so I'm hoping that helps out in the fight.

oracrest

Look what just showed up in the mail :) Had to jump on it when I saw on ebay for just a few bucks. A really nice cover and back cover!

e89ccd7b.jpg

925541c8.jpg

22096e25.jpg

one85x

I'll probably do my first playthrough as that knight if he's a starting character. I had a lot of fun with the Ostrava build in Demon's Souls.

oracrest

one85x said:
I'll probably do my first playthrough as that knight if he's a starting character. I had a lot of fun with the Ostrava build in Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I think I am too. Something about playing as the dude on the cover. That's what I did in DS my first time.

Donthizz#

cjsnapp said:
Hey guys. This is my first post here on GAF as my account was finally activated.

So anyways, Demon's Souls sat on my shelf for probably a year or so after just fiddling with it here and there. Well I recently decided to spend some time on it and after beating Phalanx, I'm addicted.

I'm going back and forth between this and The Witcher 2 but so far I've completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and am currently working on 3-1 after getting my ass handed to me several times by Flamelurker. Pretty confident I can take out Fool's Idol tonight and maybe either try out 4-1 or take another stab at Flamelurker.

Looking forward to keeping up with this thread and sharing stories.

FlameLurker is not that difficult to defeat. There is a huge Bone to your left, go behind it and attack it with arrows, thats how i did it, EASY!

archnemesis said:

I beat him the easy way by accident... can't remember exactly how I did it but he gave me no trouble at all... i didn't even know he was one of the harder bosses until after I got on this thread to say i started back playing :)

CatPee

Goddamn, I just picked this up again for $15 and had forgotten how brutal it was.

By the way, I tried invading a few times at different places and had no luck. Nobody around SL 101 left? :(.

CatPee said:
Goddamn, I just picked this up again for $15 and had forgotten how brutal it was.

By the way, I tried invading a few times at different places and had no luck. Nobody around SL 101 left? :(.

Try SL 110-130. I believe most pvp'ers are around 120 so you might be better pushing up a few levels.

Minamu

tmarques said:
I don't think anyone is 100% safe from their data getting corrupted. What if there's a power outage, for instance? I also HATE that you can't even frigging pause this game. I got killed early on because I hit the HOME button thinking it would pause the game while I took a phone call. I understand why they've made these design decisions, but I think they've taken it a bit too far.

Other than that, I'm absolutely addicted to this game. I hated the first several hours, but I can't put it down now. First game since... Battletoads? where I actually get some sense of accomplishment after beating a stage.
Unless you're online and get invaded, there is absolutely no need for a pause button at all. If you stand still in an area where there are no enemies, that area will forever be empty. It's not like enemies roam about and can stumble upon the player and kill him/her by accident. Just go stand in a corner in an empty room and you'll be fine from 99.9% of all possible threats. In fact, almost every area in the game is pretty safe to stand around in, as long as there are no enemies within viewing distance.

Minamu said:
Unless you're online and get invaded, there is absolutely no need for a pause button at all. If you stand still in an area where there are no enemies, that area will forever be empty. It's not like enemies roam about and can stumble upon the player and kill him/her by accident. Just go stand in a corner in an empty room and you'll be fine from 99.9% of all possible threats. In fact, almost every area in the game is pretty safe to stand around in, as long as there are no enemies within viewing distance.

or you can just quit to the main menu. game autosaves on quit and will restore exactly where and as you were. though i think buffs like second chance don't get saved though.

Mr_Appleby said:
or you can just quit to the main menu. game autosaves on quit and will restore exactly where and as you were. though i think buffs like second chance don't get saved though.
Do you mean it will put you back exactly where you were in the level or back to the Nexus touchstone?

Can someone explain to me how to beat the Blue Dragon in 1-4 and open the gate for the shortcut? It literally takes me ten minutes just to snipe the dragon on the bridge with soul arrow every time, then when it's above the archway I can't seem to run to the side to avoid the flames.

Johnas

mikespit1200 said:
Can someone explain to me how to beat the Blue Dragon in 1-4 and open the gate for the shortcut? It literally takes me ten minutes just to snipe the dragon on the bridge with soul arrow every time, then when it's above the archway I can't seem to run to the side to avoid the flames.

You can run past him both times. Let him kill the first guy with his fire, then, when the flame is almost at the end of its swipe, run like mad towards the dragon. Just run past the second guy towards the door, and you should be good.

The second time you meet him, stand on the right side of the stairs roughly halfway up, wait for the flame to pass from left to right, then when he breathes fire again, start running as he aims the flame from right above where you are to more underneath him. You should have plenty of time to make it then.

No shortcut in 1-4 that I'm aware of.

If you do want to kill it, do what you're doing, then the second time, once you run past it you can lock on to its head when you're underneath it.

Here's the wiki page if you need further help (potential spoilers here):

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/walk1-4

Johnas

Pure Bladestone get!

Only took about 3 hours or so, not too bad at all. Also obtained just a couple more chunks during that time than required.

Now to farm Chunks of Cloudstone...

droopy

mikespit1200 said:

"Run straight through!"

If you have enough endurance (and stamina) you can sprint from when he starts flying to the second position, all the way to the door without getting hit. Then lock on and shoot him in the face from here.
The first part is just like 1-2; wait then run.

MidnightRider said:
I beat him the easy way by accident... can't remember exactly how I did it but he gave me no trouble at all... i didn't even know he was one of the harder bosses until after I got on this thread to say i started back playing :)

Still working on my first play through of this game and I didn't have a problem with him either. I'm a Royal and I just used Soul Ray. I had the Thief Ring on and he would keep losing track of me. I would shoot at him 2 or 3 times and then roll away from him to the other side. Repeat this over and over.

Izuna

Banned
I cannot wait for Dark Souls! One thing I'm hoping is that they rebalance the magic for PvE. There was only a single enemy in the game who was strong to it, and even then he suffered from "I can't pass invisible walls" syndrome.

Probably resolved already, but I've found the trick to Flamelurker is to use the polls on the right side of the cave to hide behind and move around, similar to
how most people deal with Maneater
. He'll get sort of stuck on the pole (is beam the better word?) in "attack" mode, but then chill, looking for you, even though you're still right there behind the poll. Attack from behind with sticky white stuff or other magic. Rinse n' repeat. (You can do the same thing with the bones in the upper-left corner, but I haven't had as much success there.)

That said, he's definitely scary. He's killed me at least 6 or 7 times, which may not be a lot compared to others (no idea about this really, not many people talk those numbers), but it's plenty enough to make me nervous opening that fog gate.

Izuna

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
That said, he's definitely scary. He's killed me at least 6 or 7 times, which may not be a lot compared to others (no idea about this really, not many people talk those numbers), but it's plenty enough to make me nervous opening that fog gate.

He's definitely the hardest boss in the game. Blue Phantoms hadn't made it past with me on that one.

My approach isn't as good as yours lol, all I did was use Soul Ray on it, munching on them spices in between dodging it's attacks like it's Ninja Gaiden.

-----

Just remembered why I never completed Demon's Souls with a level 1 Royality with no deaths... The final stretch before the end and the Blue Dragon OHKO's me (due to different run speed).

sh4mike

Could a pro please provide a high-level overview of what I should do for a ToB build?

I'm trying this game again after failing miserably a year ago. I have a Royal with the Cling Ring and just beat the first boss. Looking for a progression strategy from here.

Something like:

4-1: Get Crescent Falchion
2-1: Get Kris Blade
3-1: Get Ring of Magical Sharpness
2-2: Get ToB (need MAG/FAI=18/18 to wield)

etc.

oracrest

sh4mike said:
Could a pro please provide a high-level overview of what I should do for a ToB build?

The easiest way to get it is through 2-2 Pure black World Tendency. Fight BP Scirvir in his area, and get it. You can get it from Ostrava, but can take a while, and many other levels to beat before you can fulfill the mephistopheles quest of Killing him, and getting the ToB. Crescent Falchion in 4-1 is a great weapon. I don't wear the ring that regenerates magic. It's just too slow. More convenient to take a quick break to go buy more spices from the Royal Mistress when you need them. Take on 3-1 early, that will have a lot that you need to unlock for a magic user, like the magic ring, and Sage Freke. Also, the boss gives you the Soul Ray spell.

Johnas

Serious question:

Why have I not read more comments about the infuriating process of farming for chunks of cloudstone? All I ever read about was grief over pure bladestone, which I got last night with very little trouble.

Chunks of cloudstone is just on a whole other level. I checked the wiki and apparently I picked the worst shield to try to fully upgrade (dark purple flame shield), I have fought those storm kings for hours now with nothing to show for it at all. I have a full inventory of shards, which is supposed to help, and what is it with the Large Sword of Searching? Do I have to have it equipped in the opposite hand of the Storm Ruler? I don't know how to "use" it. I'm on NG+++, PBWT, and my Luck is 31.

Just maddening. Oracrest, help a brother out here.

RyanDG

Johnas said:
Serious question:

Why have I not read more comments about the infuriating process of farming for chunks of cloudstone? All I ever read about was grief over pure bladestone, which I got last night with very little trouble.

Chunks of cloudstone is just on a whole other level. I checked the wiki and apparently I picked the worst shield to try to fully upgrade (dark purple flame shield), I have fought those storm kings for hours now with nothing to show for it at all. I have a full inventory of shards, which is supposed to help, and what is it with the Large Sword of Searching? Do I have to have it equipped in the opposite hand of the Storm Ruler? I don't know how to "use" it. I'm on NG+++, PBWT, and my Luck is 31.

Yep. The sword of searching should be equipped in your offhand. If you two hand the storm ruler with the sword of searching in your offhand, you'll be able to get the bonus for the drops. Outside of the bonuses you are getting with PBWT, the sword of searching, and your luck, there really isn't going to be much more that you can do there outside of grinding.

Johnas

RyanDG said:
Yep. The sword of searching should be equipped in your offhand. If you two hand the storm ruler with the sword of searching in your offhand, you'll be able to get the bonus for the drops. Outside of the bonuses you are getting with PBWT, the sword of searching, and your luck, there really isn't going to be much more that you can do there outside of grinding.

So I have to two-hand the Storm Ruler, then the LSoS is just hanging there on my belt. Thanks.

I haven't been doing that, I'll try that for a while and see what kind of difference that makes.

RyanDG

Johnas said:
So I have to two-hand the Storm Ruler, then the LSoS is just hanging there on my belt. Thanks.

I haven't been doing that, I'll try that for a while and see what kind of difference that makes.

Well it's not completely necessary to two hand it, you can just hold it in your off hand if you like and one hand the storm ruler. The whole point is to have the LSoS in the off hand slot. Either way, you should be good.

I usually just two hand the Storm ruler though.

oracrest

Johnas said:
Serious question:

I've only farmed chunks for the trophy, and for many of those, I upgraded the hand weapons the 2-1 miners drop because they need the least to go to full upgrade. PBWT is a must. Outside of that, I believe all those other items only help drop rate, not the actual frequency of rare drops.

Can't believe you got pure bladestone with ease... I spent at least 10 hours farming before finally just asking someone that had an extra.

Johnas

oracrest said:
I've only farmed chunks for the trophy, and for many of those, I upgraded the hand weapons the 2-1 miners drop because they need the least to go to full upgrade. PBWT is a must. Outside of that, I believe all those other items only help drop rate, not the actual frequency of rare drops.

Can't believe you got pure bladestone with ease... I spent at least 10 hours farming before finally just asking someone that had an extra.

Yeah, I guess I'm paying for that with this. Although I did finally get one chunk last night before I stopped playing.

I only need 6 more for a full upgrade, but man is it ever tedious. Maybe I'll get lucky again like I did with pure bladestone.

Help Me! said:
I'll paypal you the $12 if you don't like it.

Well I beat the Phalanx and started the 2nd stage and the game is well, extremely boring. There's no real story, and the fighting leaves much to be desired. You just attack, evade, attack. Rinse/Repeat. The atmosphere is good, I'll give it that.

I'll play for a few more days and hope it gets better, but at this point, I'm just glad I only spent $12 on this game.

Protocol7

I just wanted to thank you guys, since I can finally post on GAF!
It's because of you, because of the first DS thread, that I discoverd this game, reading pages after pages, feeling the fire burning in me, that I embraced the pleasure of punishement, the frustration, the long nights where I learned to become stronger against the darkness, that I s**t my pants on certain levels, the excitement of fightning enemies knowing that if I let my guard down even for a second my life could end in a snap, the pleasure, YES THE PLEASURE of being invaded, OMG just writing the words (and I usually hate PvP), the adrenaline flowing, knowing that a prey had entered the level I was playing on, the thrill of waiting for him to start the fight, surprise him waiting in a dark corner... or just running towards him like a mad man... /shivers
Anyway I lost more than 300 hours of my life because of DS and can't wait to waste some more with Dark Souls, so again thank you guys, thank you so much!! On my part I'm glad to say that I contaminated lots of friends with DS too, and it's always a pleasure to share our adventures!

oracrest

It's been some work trying to figure out how to capture while online, so the SL1 playthrough has come to a standstill, but should be up and going later next week.

In the meantime, I am trying the "SL9 Barbarian Challenge." It consists of starting as the default barbarian class (starts at level9,) and play through with just the starting equipment (no armor, wooden shield, club.) The character can't be leveled up, nor the weapons/shield upgraded. Also, items like turpentine and sticky white stuff don't work with the club, so it's el natural..

I've been wanting to play through for a while as a character themed like an escaped miner from Stonefang, so that's what I did with this guy.

2.jpg

Here's the progress so far:

SL9 Barbarian Challenge

kafiend

cjsnapp said:

Protocol7 said:
I just wanted to thank you guys, since I can finally post on GAF!
It's because of you, because of the first DS thread, that I discoverd this game...

Exactly the same here, that makes three new posters on this page giving GAF the Demon souls thumbs up. There should be a "GAF made me do it!" thread.

Anyways, I'd forgotten how much fun there is in playing a brutal, unforgiving, it wants to kill you - oh it killed you - again - game. Thanks GAF, you made me do it.

Zeth

so I leveled my new DEX build character to about 75. started invading for my first time ever and DAMN I can't catch a win. most of the world I arrive in have 2 players waiting slaughter me.

I'm using offset Makoto until I can get some damn Bladestone. cleared World 4 and didn't even get a chunk! Anybody willing to lend me some Bladestone? I've yet to even have a cooperative player in my World.

edit: I have some pure cloudstone for anyone who is in need or would trade!

Top Bottom