• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

EasyMode

So who has a pure bladestone for trade? Either that or a +5 bladestone weapon for me to hold.

I've got pure moonlightstone, darkmoonstone, and faintstone available. NA version, soul level 115. PSN: EasyMode-J

Kalamoj

Leona Lewis said:
Is Flamelurker the one you're talking about? In that case, I'm in the clear (phew!)

I'm a royal, but I don't really know which stats to focus on so I've just been upgrading magic and strength like crazy. Would the bosses whose souls I've eaten (Phalanx, Tower Knight, horrible nightmare-inducing spider thingy) have been useful?

I certainly hope Dark Souls has a better tutorial haha

I hope not, I really enjoyed exploring the hidden depths of Demon's Souls. Some of them came from the lack of tutorials.

Leona Lewis said:
Is Flamelurker the one you're talking about? In that case, I'm in the clear (phew!)

I'm a royal, but I don't really know which stats to focus on so I've just been upgrading magic and strength like crazy. Would the bosses whose souls I've eaten (Phalanx, Tower Knight, horrible nightmare-inducing spider thingy) have been useful?

I certainly hope Dark Souls has a better tutorial haha
If you are going all or mostly magic then yes you missed an opportunity for one of two awesome spells with eating that soul.

EasyMode said:
So who has a pure bladestone for trade? Either that or a +5 bladestone weapon for me to hold.

I've got pure moonlightstone, darkmoonstone, and faintstone available. NA version, soul level 115. PSN: EasyMode-J
I might but I won't be able to check until I get home from work at around 10:00 MST... If I do I would be happy to trade for the pure darkmoonstone.

Zertez

Leona Lewis said:
I've been playing the game non-stop and it's finally "clicked" for me. I had my first co-op experience fighting the huge flamethrowing spider - so amazing! This is the most fun I've had with a game since PSO. Why did I wait so long to buy it :-(

What's this I hear about not eating demons' souls though? I've defeated the Phalanx, the Tower Knight, and the spider thing and immediately traded their souls for stat increases. What benefits are there from not consuming the souls?
Losing the Phalanx soul isnt too bad, but the Tower Knight and the Armor Spider soul is very useful as a magic/range user. With the Tower Knight soul you can learn Warding, which reduces damage you receive considerably. The Armor Spider soul you can trade for the Lava bow which is a very nice bow if you do not have a ton of stats in Dex. It does considerable damage when you are out of lockout range or do not want to waste mana. You can also trade the Armor Spider soul for one of two fire spells, with the best being Fire Spray. It does less damage than Soul Arrow, but it only cost 2mp, you can fire it on the move and it cast much faster than most damage spells I can think of. With a few magic boosting items, it is nice for clearing trash on farming runs. Souls are easy to farm, it is much easier to farm souls than recover boss demon souls. It is best to save them until you know what they are used for.

EasyMode

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I might but I won't be able to check until I get home from work at around 10:00 MST... If I do I would be happy to trade for the pure darkmoonstone.
Alright. I should have mentioned that I'm on the east coast so I likely won't be on at that time, but send me a message after you've checked and we can arrange something for tomorrow perhaps.

Zertez said:
Losing the Phalanx soul isnt too bad, but the Tower Knight and the Armor Spider soul is very useful as a magic/range user. With the Tower Knight soul you can learn Warding, which reduces damage you receive considerably. The Armor Spider soul you can trade for the Lava bow which is a very nice bow if you do not have a ton of stats in Dex. It does considerable damage when you are out of lockout range or do not want to waste mana. You can also trade the Armor Spider soul for one of two fire spells, with the best being Fire Spray. It does less damage than Soul Arrow, but it only cost 2mp, you can fire it on the move and it cast much faster than most damage spells I can think of. With a few magic boosting items, it is nice for clearing trash on farming runs. Souls are easy to farm, it is much easier to farm souls than recover boss demon souls. It is best to save them until you know what they are used for.
Should I start the game over? I've only killed 3 bosses so far and I don't want to face the rest of them handicapped because of my ignorance...

Leona Lewis said:
Should I start the game over? I've only killed 3 bosses so far and I don't want to face the rest of them handicapped because of my ignorance...
I was in your exact same situation... with those exact 3 bosses. I started over and was able to et back to where I was quickly. Mainly because I knew how to take on the bosses this time.

Zertez

Leona Lewis said:
Personally I would. You are not that far along and should be able to get back to the same point in a few hours, now you know what to do. Getting through the game the first time shouldnt be an issue, but the items you can get from the Spider soul really help with farming. You are going to need to farm at some point and better to correct handicaps early on, rather than waiting to start over later. I know it may seem like you are losing quite a bit of work, but you will be surprised how quick you move through the levels you have learned.

Zertez said:
Personally I would. You are not that far along and should be able to get back to the same point in a few hours, now you know what to do. Getting through the game the first time shouldnt be an issue, but the items you can get from the Spider soul really help with farming. You are going to need to farm at some point and better to correct handicaps early on, rather than waiting to start over later. I know it may seem like you are losing quite a bit of work, but you will be surprised how quick you move through the levels you have learned.

which spell is that? You got me thinking I should start over now. I'm already 10hrs in though :((

Johnas said:
Is this your first time there? If so, go to the leftmost archstone and play through that level.
Ya, finally figured it out. I thought I went to all the archstones but I guess I missed one because I remember them saying they were sealed or something. I might just start over. Combat feels awfully clunky and just terrible to play but I may be forgetting how to do some stuff so I'll restart I guess and see if it's any better.

Zertez

bdizzle said:
which spell is that? You got me thinking I should start over now. I'm already 10hrs in though :((
Fire Spray. It is like firing a small machine gun of fireballs at a target. The mp usage on Fire Spray is laughable as well. You can use it for a long time without needing any spice. Ignite is a solid spell as well, but its range is very limited and I dont like things that close to me as a caster. In PvP it can drop Phantoms quickly, but in PvE, I would rather use the slots for something else. In PvP, you dont usually get much of a choice if an invader is going to be right next to you, so Ignite is useful. It casts very quickly as well.

theta11

It's hard to compare Fire Spray and Ignite since they are so different but for overall usefulness I'd say Ignite wins. It fires off just as fast as Fire Spray, 1 Ignite can kill almost any non boss in the game so it helps mages in tight spaces with close quarters and is a great PVP skill. Back stab and wake up Ignite is insant kill usally and with lag you can sometimes Ignite someone twice in a row. Fire Spray is more magic efficient than other spells but to takes a lot longer to kill anything.

Dibbs

I'd like to dedicate my first post on this awesome forum to this thread which I've been following for a couple of years now. Demon's Souls is the best game I've played for years (since Baldurs Gate II). When I first started out and got killed numerous of times on 1-1 I never thought I'd finish it. I pulled myself together and partly thanks to this thread I was able to beat it, along with NG+ just for the fun of it. Best game this gen, and Dark Souls is on the top on my list. Hell, I'd even sell my car if I had to only to afford it!

Zertez

theta11 said:
It's hard to compare Fire Spray and Ignite since they are so different but for overall usefulness I'd say Ignite wins. It fires off just as fast as Fire Spray, 1 Ignite can kill almost any non boss in the game so it helps mages in tight spaces with close quarters and is a great PVP skill. Back stab and wake up Ignite is insant kill usally and with lag you can sometimes Ignite someone twice in a row. Fire Spray is more magic efficient than other spells but to takes a lot longer to kill anything.
I think if I was playing more of a mage/melee hybrid and plan on focusing on PvP later on, I would definitely go with Ignite. It does great damage quickly, but its range is very limited. Things have to be almost on top of you for Ignite to hit. I play a range mage with some focus on a bow. I sacrificed a little vitality for other stats and unless I have no other choice, nothing gets close to me. If you do not run into groups of mobs, you can usually keep things at range. All 3 items from the Hard Demon Soul have their uses and work great depending on builds and play style. It is best to research which works with your build.

So I decided to start over since I stupidly consumed the demons' souls (didn't read the "Can use to make spells and weapons" part in the descriptions closely enough). Within a few hours I caught up to my earlier save and even killed the Flamelurker, Ostrava's dad, and the Dragon God fairly effortlessly. Does the game get much harder, or does my Soul Arrow basically render this an "easy mode" for me? Not that I'm complaining :p

A few quick questions:

1) I killed three Black Phantoms and got three weapons I can't use. What purpose do Black Phantoms and their items serve?

2) If all I care about is using magic like the Soul Arrow, does increasing "Strength" affect magic power or is it only "Magic" that does it? I haven't done melee combat at all and I'm not ready to go there yet.

3) Are there any other vital tips like "don't eat boss souls" that I might easily miss later on and should therefore know as soon as possible? I'm too far along now to start over again...

Thanks guys, most helpful group of posters ever!

Leona Lewis said:
So I decided to start over since I stupidly consumed the demons' souls (didn't read the "Can use to make spells and weapons" part in the descriptions closely enough). Within a few hours I caught up to my earlier save and even killed the Flamelurker, Ostrava's dad, and the Dragon God fairly effortlessly. Does the game get much harder, or does my Soul Arrow basically render this an "easy mode" for me? Not that I'm complaining :p

A few quick questions:

1) I killed three Black Phantoms and got three weapons I can't use. What purpose do Black Phantoms and their items serve?

2) If all I care about is using magic like the Soul Arrow, does increasing "Strength" affect magic power or is it only "Magic" that does it? I haven't done melee combat at all and I'm not ready to go there yet.

3) Are there any other vital tips like "don't eat boss souls" that I might easily miss later on and should therefore know as soon as possible? I'm too far along now to start over again...

1 If you're talking about the BPs I think you are (world 1), they are just weapons...if you can't meet the requirements for them then you can't use them. But it sounds like you are a mage anyways. (you can treat the phantoms as regular monsters I guess)

2 the Magic stat increases magic damage. You will also probably want to increase Intelligence to have more spell slots.

3) I would try not to kill any npcs...I did that in my game and I couldnt upgrade any advance weapons. (I accidentally killed Ed). Also, you might want to look at the Demons Souls upgrade list (usage tab), so that you can make an educated decision what to use them to buy. (sometimes you have a choice between two spells, or an item.)

RyanDG

Leona Lewis said:
Does the game get much harder, or does my Soul Arrow basically render this an "easy mode" for me? Not that I'm complaining :p

Magic is by far one of the easiest paths to take through the first play through, but if you plan on going the new game plus route, magic's overpowered nature gets hindered quite a bit. There are still a couple of bosses that should give a magic user trouble, but once you have the fragrant ring and the ability to pick up a ton of spices, Magic is definitely the quickest way to get through the game the first time.

Zzoram

Adam Blade said:
This game is too hard. I can't believe I died in 1-1 like 5 times

*disposes of game in shredder*

You're supposed to die and learn the layout of the level and placement of enemies through trial and error.

Zzoram

whiterabbit said:
does anybody else find big sword unwieldy? what are some of your favorite weapons?

All the big weapons are hard to use in corridors because they hit the walls.

The easiest weapons PvE are probably the Estoc since it's a forward jabbing motion that doesn't get blocked by narrow hallways, with decent reach.

The advantage of huge weapons is that they have better reach, but that's only useful when you're not in a hallway.

Zertez

Leona Lewis said:

A few quick questions:

Soul Arrow does make some things easier, but there are some situations were you will be at a disadvantage sticking to Soul Arrow. The game is definitely tougher playing a melee class. I will try to answer the other questions the best I can.
1) Black Phantoms drop an assortment of weapons, some you will use, some you will bank, but they usually drop useful ore.
2) As far as I know the only stat that raises magic power/damage is Magic, Str raises physical damage
3) Using Boss Demon Souls and hitting vendor NPCs are pretty much the biggest reasons to restart. Most other things you can work around. I would avoid raising stats a lot, until you have a better idea on what build you are going to use. Once you know which direction you want to focus on, then bump the appropriate stats. Ive seen a lot of people that put a few points here and there, but then when they get higher level they have wasted stats in skills they dont use.

Try to focus on one area with maybe a minor focus in another area. Dont try to do it all, you will be weak in NG+. Dont try to make a character that can melee, then has a weak pool of magic, and a weak ranged bow skill. Find which area you want to focus on and stick to it. There is a reason, you do not see many well rounded builds later on. With enough patience, you can beat the game playing with the worst handicaps, but I would hold off on build challenges until later.

RyanDG

whiterabbit said:
does anybody else find big sword unwieldy? what are some of your favorite weapons?

Depends on my build...

For my strength build I use a Crushing Claymore +5 and a Dragon Bone Smasher +5. I also have a Crushing Knight Sword +5 for sword and shield action.

For my dex build, I dual wield mostly - either rocking an upgraded Parrying Dagger in my left hand and a Hiltless +5 in my right hand.

The Hiltless is one of my favorite weapons in the game overall (for flavor and look)...

I also have a Blue Blood Swordsman build, which is also pretty nice. The sword itself has some decent combos, but is easily telegraphed in PvP now that it seems most people know how to fight against it.

RyanDG said:
Depends on my build...

For my strength build I use a Crushing Claymore +5 and a Dragon Bone Smasher +5. I also have a Crushing Knight Sword +5 for sword and shield action.

For my dex build, I dual wield mostly - either rocking an upgraded Parrying Dagger in my left hand and a Hiltless +5 in my right hand.

The Hiltless is one of my favorite weapons in the game overall (for flavor and look)...

I also have a Blue Blood Swordsman build, which is also pretty nice. The sword itself has some decent combos, but is easily telegraphed in PvP now that it seems most people know how to fight against it.

thanks, great post.

whiterabbit said:
ok heres one- best armor set? How do you put something together that you can roll in that has high defense?
I like mixing Ancient King's and assassins for that. Assassin's mask, ancient kings chest, ancient kings arms, and black legs. But thats just me and my melee character.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I like mixing Ancient King's and assassins for that. Assassin's mask, ancient kings chest, ancient kings arms, and black legs. But thats just me and my melee character.
Oh cool. I never did kill the king. I tried to mix and match like that, but I ended up in heavy armor, Fluted and then Dark Silver from Garl vinland.

Nix

Banned
I'm still rolling with a straight assassins set. It seems like I havn't found better gear since I got it. BTW, is there a weapon that regens better than the blessed Claymore? I'm currently using great-swords, falchions, long-swords, spears and bows, if that's any help.

Would it matter that I only have 22 Faith?

RyanDG

whiterabbit said:
i know its a lot but also: What's the best way to take out the Crystal Lizards with a Mage?

I usually go with cloak, sneak up, run/hit them with a melee attack to stun, and then blast them with a random powerful spell (usually soul ray/ignite).

RyanDG

Nix said:
I'm still rolling with a straight assassins set. It seems like I havn't found better gear since I got it. BTW, is there a weapon that regens better than the blessed Claymore? I'm currently using great-swords, falchions, long-swords, spears and bows, if that's any help.

Once you go down the blessed line, the regen is based on solely on your +level in the blessed upgrade (so either +1, +2, +3, +4, or +5) and can go as high as +6 hp a sec on any weapon (and not weapon type, so it wouldn't matter if you are using a mace, claymore, or other weapon - the +6 can be earned on any of them once you upgrade it). Your damage will be limited at 22 faith though - so if you are wanting to do a blessed weapon as a primary, I would definitely consider upping that a bit so you can get more out of the weapon.

The Blessed Miridan Hammer is always a good choice to go down simply because of how quick it can be with its standard combos once you get a good boost to your faith.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Nix said:

If you're using a Blessed Claymore then you should also use Adjudicator's Shield as well since it stacks. Try to upgrade both to their max as well. IIRC damage scales with Faith whereas regen rate is solely due to weapon level.

McDouchebag said:
I'd like to dedicate my first post on this awesome forum to this thread which I've been following for a couple of years now. Demon's Souls is the best game I've played for years (since Baldurs Gate II). When I first started out and got killed numerous of times on 1-1 I never thought I'd finish it. I pulled myself together and partly thanks to this thread I was able to beat it, along with NG+ just for the fun of it. Best game this gen, and Dark Souls is on the top on my list. Hell, I'd even sell my car if I had to only to afford it!

Welcome, good first post!

What makes me crazy about this game is how long it took me to actually understand its full potential and greatness. From a pure gameplay perspective, it is the best title of this gen. And in the end that's all that matters.

McDouchebag said:
Awesome. Welcome to the thread and forum. So glad it was such a resource for you. This entire thread and the discussions we all shared are the main reason this game took off. While the experience won't be quite the same with dark souls well at least have an awesome community behind it. There is something special about bringing a seemingly niche and doomed game (in the eyes of the business man) from the obscure to the mainstream.

Can't wait for a repeat in October.

What sort of weapons should a Thief use for best damage?

ATM I'm just using really basic sword (upgraded to +8) and shield I got early on, combined with spells (soul ray) and a spear occasionally. I don't seem to be finding any weapons I can use - either not skilled enough or they're too heavy (or something else, I forget).

Same goes for armour, I'm just using basic stuff I got really early on because everything else weighs me down and I like rolling fast. I just feel like I'm missing out on all these weapons I'm getting. Also crossbows and bows - the arrows/bolts seem too expensive early in the game when you want to spend souls on leveling up etc.

Just got my ass kicked by Flamelurker and the 5-1 boss too :/ - I did take down the Adjudactor really easy just by staying at the top where the fog is and using Soul Ray, didn't get hit once (then I lost 60,000 souls when I faced the reaper - DAMN YOU DEMON'S SOULS!)

Nix

Banned
RyanDG said:
Once you go down the blessed line, the regen is based on solely on your +level in the blessed upgrade (so either +1, +2, +3, +4, or +5) and can go as high as +6 hp a sec on any weapon (and not weapon type, so it wouldn't matter if you are using a mace, claymore, or other weapon - the +6 can be earned on any of them once you upgrade it). Your damage will be limited at 22 faith though - so if you are wanting to do a blessed weapon as a primary, I would definitely consider upping that a bit so you can get more out of the weapon.

The Blessed Miridan Hammer is always a good choice to go down simply because of how quick it can be with its standard combos once you get a good boost to your faith.

Just curious, since I don't really feel like grinding out levels for faith. What's the minimum level that would net me the greatest benefits?

I ordered DS finally and should be here in a week or two and until then, any tips for new player or should I just go with it and learn stuff?
I want to avoid throwing controller at my tv so any tips are welcome :)

Nolimit_SS said:
I ordered DS finally and should be here in a week or two and until then, any tips for new player or should I just go with it and learn stuff?
I want to avoid throwing controller at my tv so any tips are welcome :)
Expect to die A LOT, and don't worry about losing souls early on.

params7

Banned
Expect to die in first levels a lot, but that's just the game conditioning your spoiled gaming habits. Do your best to make every strike count, use the shield a lot, and just try to not die.

Once you figure out the mechanics its NOT hard at all but just like any other SP in normal mode imo.

params7 said:
Expect to die in first levels a lot, but that's just the game conditioning your spoiled gaming habits. Do your best to make every strike count, use the shield a lot, and just try to not die.

Once you figure out the mechanics its NOT hard at all but just like any other SP in normal mode imo.

I think that what's hard about it is knowing exactly the way to progress a character's stats and gear so that you can be properly able to handle anything you will encounter.

And choosing the right starting class for your playstyle.

Top Bottom