• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Johnas

calder said:
Platinum-ing this game is one trophy that really impresses me. Maybe because I got a bit more than halfway through the story when I played and got like 2% of the trophies lol. It just struck me as a hellish plat to go for, like even harder than Burnout Paradise or Warhawk. May not be accurate I guess, but grats regardless!

Thanks! It's only the second platinum I have (GoW III is the other). It struck me as something really difficult when I first played through it, but it wasn't all that bad.

bdizzle said:
Congrats, how long did it take you and how many play throughs?

It was a total of five playthroughs, but it can be done in four if you know exactly what you're doing. I did chump out and use the wiki for odd things here and there, but a large part of it was just thoroughly exploring and having tons of fun in the process.

There are a few things regarding the tendencies that you would almost have to just stumble upon to discover, and even then a player may not even realize exactly what triggered them.

I played through the game back in early '10 once, and it was such a challenge I didn't play it any more for a while on purpose. Recently I decided to go for another playthrough, and had so much fun it turned into four. I'm not really crazy about trophies, but this game was just such a blast and I kept wanting to replay it again and again, that I figured I may as well just see what few things I was missing and go for it.

oneils

So I decided to take on 3-1, and I keep falling off ledges. I'm so lame.

With my puny soul arrow, I killed some weird ball thing that has spinning blades. What is this thing called? I had a look at the wiki, but couldn't find it.

I've watched of few of oracrests SL9 Barbarian challenge videos (I only watch those level's I've played), they are awesome.

Congrats on your platinum, Johnas.

Man 5-2 is killing me. Im tryin to get those extra items but those huge ver. Sloth lookin enemies are killing me. Im wearing light armor for stamina and evasive purposes, but its hard to move/doge in the sludge.

Smack Fu

Horrible picture, but if you look closely, thats a Tri-Plat there. Asian, NA and UK versions.

noobfu

Johnas

oneils said:
Congrats on your platinum, Johnas.

Thanks.

I mentioned it a couple of pages back, but apparently I got really lucky with Pure Bladestone. I only farmed it for a couple of hours or so before I got one. I did put quite a few points into luck on my second or third playthrough, I have a feeling that made a difference. I don't have the game handy at the moment, but I think my luck stat is 31.

I also might mention I have only ever played offline. Sometime soon when I wrap up other games I'd like to come back and play online a little bit, just to experience invasions. Generally speaking I don't care for online play at all, but what DS does is pretty creative, and I know the servers probably won't be up for much longer.

I'd also love to do a SL1 challenge sometime, I guess that's next.

Smack Fu said:
Horrible picture, but if you look closely, thats a Tri-Plat there. Asian, NA and UK versions.

noobfu

Nice.

RyanDG

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Man 5-2 is killing me. Im tryin to get those extra items but those huge ver. Sloth lookin enemies are killing me. Im wearing light armor for stamina and evasive purposes, but its hard to move/doge in the sludge.

Take a lot of fire damage items... And if you have it, the Lava Bow works wonders in there.

Svartnatt

Johnas said:
I mentioned it a couple of pages back, but apparently I got really lucky with Pure Bladestone. I only farmed it for a couple of hours or so before I got one. I did put quite a few points into luck on my second or third playthrough, I have a feeling that made a difference. I don't have the game handy at the moment, but I think my luck stat is 31.

Just recently got my platinum too and like you I lucked out with farming the Pure Bladestone. I probably spent a total of 2 hours farming the hidden passageway Black Phantom skeleton in 4-2 with pure black world tendency. I've read horror stories of people spending 30+ hours farming and finally giving up on it.

Don't think the luck stat has anything to do with it though, as I never put a single point into luck at all.

oracrest

Smack Fu said:

noobfu

You and Yoshichan.

Congrats. I don't know if I have the patience for 3 pure bladestones, but good for you!

oracrest

spiderman123 said:
Just bought the game. Got it for the 1st time and which is the best class for a beginner like myself.

All classes are fine, pick the one you get the best feeling about. There is a slow roll, and a fast roll, and even the heaviest armored knight can shed some pieces until he fast rolls. (equip burden needs to be less than 50% capacity for this.)

oracrest

Duble posta!

As this game is the one that keeps on giving, I had another first recently. On the barbarian playthrough, I finally fought Storm King with the Stormruler sword

Pretty interesting! I am waiting until the point when I have done EVERYTHING that this game has to offer, but so far, there might be more (Haven't fought BP Scirvir yet I don't think....)

Also, does anyone know if you can somehow buy or get the Japanese Demon's Souls PS Home costumes on a US account? I know you can just start a new japanese account, but wouldn't that only let you use them for that account avatar? I wanted to use them for my real one...

Zertez

spiderman123 said:
Just bought the game. Got it for the 1st time and which is the best class for a beginner like myself.
I think Royalty is the easiest class for beginners. You get a weapon and helmet that both increase mana, a ring that regens mana slowly and a decent damaging spell to start off with. Soul Arrow will last you a little while through the game and the larger mana pool is always useful. You start with lower stats than other classes, so you get to customize the character exactly like you want it. Seems almost everyone picks Royalty, so you will be almost like everyone else.

I recommend starting off with a Royalty until you get a feel for the game or make a bonehead mistake that causes you to start over. At that point, pick the class that sounds the most interesting to you. I think every class is useful and can complete the game about the same, but it comes down to playstyle and learning the game. Royalty will give you a good tutorial until you feel a little comfortable, then move on to the class you wish. Royalty is just a good starting class because they come with the most useful toys to start off with.

Johnas

oracrest said:
Duble posta!

As this game is the one that keeps on giving, I had another first recently. On the barbarian playthrough, I finally fought Storm King with the Stormruler sword

Pretty interesting! I am waiting until the point when I have done EVERYTHING that this game has to offer, but so far, there might be more (Haven't fought BP Scirvir yet I don't think....)

How were you killing him before, with a bow or magic? I've only ever used the Storm Ruler. I should try something different the next time.

It's pretty cool how you can nearly always find something new with each playthrough. Just this last playthrough I discovered the Moon Short Sword +1 in the Maneater area.

Also, BP Scirvir was the toughest BP for me personally.

Svartnatt said:
Just recently got my platinum too and like you I lucked out with farming the Pure Bladestone. I probably spent a total of 2 hours farming the hidden passageway Black Phantom skeleton in 4-2 with pure black world tendency. I've read horror stories of people spending 30+ hours farming and finally giving up on it.

Don't think the luck stat has anything to do with it though, as I never put a single point into luck at all.

Yeah, I'm really glad for how quickly I got it. I'm curious to see how long it takes me if I ever decide to do it again.

Mollymauk

Loving this game. Played through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1 so far. It's such a unique experience that I almost fear going back to a regular game afterwards.

How is some normal game supposed to follow this?

Johnas

Mollymauk said:
Loving this game. Played through 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1 so far. It's such a unique experience that I almost fear going back to a regular game afterwards.

How is some normal game supposed to follow this?

Dark Souls is your only hope.

gioGAF

I don't know how other games are supposed to follow this. I have been playing Demon's Souls (all 3 versions) for over 2 years now.

I feel like the developer was rushed a little on Demon's Souls, yet they turned in such an amazing experience. I really hope Dark Souls delivers, though I'm worried that Bamco is involved since they have been so underwhelming this gen.

oracrest

Johnas said:
How were you killing him before, with a bow or magic? I've only ever used the Storm Ruler. I should try something different the next time.

It's pretty cool how you can nearly always find something new with each playthrough. Just this last playthrough I discovered the Moon Short Sword +1 in the Maneater area.

Also, BP Scirvir was the toughest BP for me personally.

Bow.

I never read any of the tips on him, and I always got killed by his barbs, so bow was the only way I was able to damage him before. I just keep covered by the last rocks on the hill, and get a few shots in each pass. I might have killed him with my mage too with magic. I typically don't ever use magic unless I specifically am dedicating a character to it, so I haven't used it all that much.

Zertez

gioGAF said:
I don't know how other games are supposed to follow this. I have been playing Demon's Souls (all 3 versions) for over 2 years now.

I feel like the developer was rushed a little on Demon's Souls, yet they turned in such an amazing experience. I really hope Dark Souls delivers, though I'm worried that Bamco is involved since they have been so underwhelming this gen.
Namco published Demon's Souls in EU, so From Software have a good idea what to expect out of them. If From Software was afraid they couldnt handle it or they would hurt the game, they would have gone with Atlus and SCEJ again. I dont think Namco will have any negative impact on the game itself, but the packaging may suffer, like the recent change from a physical mini guide to an online guide.

I'm interested and intimidated by this game. I have little knowledge of what to expect yet also hear so much about it...

So do random players infiltrate your game? Death = starting over? I want in... help me out, Gaf. What is this game about in simple, convincing terms =]?

oracrest

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I'm interested and intimidated by this game. I have little knowledge of what to expect yet also hear so much about it...

So do random players infiltrate your game? Death = starting over? I want in... help me out, Gaf. What is this game about in simple, convincing terms =]?

Just jump in, the water's cold at first, but it gets warm fast....

Then it becomes your favorite swimming hole ever.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Pick a class and just try it out. Just know that you'll die often, but you'll learn from each death and your confidence will slowly build.
Don't stress Phantoms invading you, it will happen, but for me I've only been invaded twice and I'm around 50 hours in. I'm not sure how it works, but I've been lucky I guess. Maybe Oracrest can answer or anyone with more experience with the game, but it seems like you can't get invade till you are atleast level 30-35. Is that right? Seems like it was for me.

Proposed Law said:
Pick a class and just try it out. Just know that you'll die often, but you'll learn from each death and your confidence will slowly build.
Don't stress Phantoms invading you, it will happen, but for me I've only been invaded twice and I'm around 50 hours in. I'm not sure how it works, but I've been lucky I guess. Maybe Oracrest can answer or anyone with more experience with the game, but it seems like you can't get invade till you are atleast level 30-35. Is that right? Seems like it was for me.

You can only get invaded when you are in body form.

Eccocid

Finally killed king doran! yay!

I am Sl.80 now and still on first run. Only world 5 is left i hate that swamp but it is a short level.

Is my soul level too high for NG+? Is it still gonna be a challenge for me at 80 and above?

Eccocid said:

I am Sl.80 now and still on first run. Only world 5 is left i hate that swamp but it is a short level.

Is my soul level too high for NG+? Is it still gonna be a challenge for me at 80 and above?

SL80 isn't very high. NG+ will definitely be a challenge.

Svartnatt

spiderman123 said:
Holy shit this game is fucking hard. I have yet to leave the damn castle
. I keep dying and starting ALL over again

As your skills and character improve, you'll look back on the suffering you're going through now and wonder why you ever had so much trouble.

That's what makes DS such a fulfilling gaming experience.

Labadal

spiderman123 said:
Holy shit this game is fucking hard. I have yet to leave the damn castle
. I keep dying and starting ALL over again

You need to take it slow, try to fight enemies one at a time. Watch out for your stamina bar, and roll often. Only hit enemies once or twice, then step back.

Also, if you are having a hard time, I recommend the Royalist class. Makes things much easier in the beggining. Starts with a MP regen ring and the spell soul arrow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Taken from the other thread!
TheJollyCorner said:
so is there a certain way to condition yourself to play these games (well, more specifically, Demon's Souls- since it's the only one out now)?

For example, I'm guessing patience is a key to survive (the anti-God of War)- but I've heard people say it's ridiculously difficult, and some people say it's pretty easy if played 'the right way'.
Patience is definitely key to survive. It's almost never "stupidly" hard. If you die, it's mostly your fault. Take your time and let the atmosphere and (absolutely brilliant) level design soak in.

Enjoy.

awesome. Thanks, Yoshichan!

One question- is it possible to grind experience for your character early (ala an RPG), or does the game kind of force you to adapt and expand your level as you move forward?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TheJollyCorner said:
One question- is it possible to grind experience for your character early (ala an RPG), or does the game kind of force you to adapt and expand your level as you move forward?
You will definitely find specific monsters early on that will give you tons of souls. It's up to you if you want to grind on these or not :)

Giriath_89 said:
You can only get invaded when you are in body form.

Yeah I knew this, but is there a certain level when others can start invading your game or is this an option from the beginning? Thanks.

TheJollyCorner said:

You can keep grinding souls until the max level, but it will get more and more difficult as the souls you need to keep leveling grow higher each time, akin to a normal RPG.

If you beat the game and continue onto a New Game+ and then-some (++ and onwards) you will get more souls per kill.

Note that the amount gained from the item souls will not increase with the new games.

So yes, it technically does force you to, but it is possible to not, if you have endless patience.

stolin

Smack Fu said:

noobfu

Wow congrats. That's epic. I already have my NA Platinum (02 January 2010) and and now just gonna start the Asian version. I wanted to wait a while and now with Dark Souls just around the corner seems like a great time to start it up!

johntown

Banned
Eccocid said:

I started NG+ at SL78 and I have not had any real problems (that I didn't have the fist run).

The only advice I have if when you start NG+ you will have a ton of souls that you cannot use until you get past area 1-1. Just hope you don't get invaded, lose and then die again before getting your souls back. I think I had somewhere around 300,000.

joseale

This game made me it's bitch, made me find GAF and reminded me of why I started playing games in the first place.

I had to wait a little over a year to have my account validated and be able to join all of you here (there's quite a few here like that). I've been right here with you for the past year laughing, crying, raging and exploring the unique world of boletaria, I just couldn't help anyone! But rest assured my prayers went out to all of you as you kept dying, and dying, and dying.

I played a knight on the US version, then a Royal on the japanese one and finally a Temple knight on the EU one. Always online, sometimes even tempting fate by resurrecting myself before going through the level. And even after being invaded countless times I still get the shakes everytime I see the red letters of the invasion message.

You are one the most awesome communities on GAF, I'm sure we'll take Demon's Souls to OT3 someday.

spiderman123 said:

My biggest advice is learning to lock-on to enemies.

I don't think the game ever teaches you how and it's a bit different than in most games. You click in R3 to lock on and press it again to lock-off. Switch targets by slapping right analog around. Helpful since it allows you strafe around enemies and target your spells.

I also recommend starting with a Royal class.

oracrest

oracrest said:
Yeah, 5-2 is pretty treacherous. Probably one of my favorite levels though. In many ways, it's the exact opposite of the way the rest of the game is laid out. The way I recommend playing it is to focus on getting through the level first, and then go back and collect all the treasure. When the small treasure light points are still there, they provide a good way to help figure out where you are, like stars in the sky in an open ocean.

Anyways, the Weapon X build is some of the most fun I have had with the game in a long time!! double claws has the left attack being the quickest, and the easiest to start a chain with, which feels wierd. No shield means I have to be incredibly aggressive (wolverine style, heh.)

abdb14a2.jpg

Right hand: Claws +6
Left Hand: Claws +6
Regenerator Ring
Thief Ring
Wizards Boots
Black Gloves

I got the two claws really early, and immediately went for the Regenerator ring in 4-1, to wear permanently. I have a shield and broadsword ready for any crystal lizards to dispatch.

Just for fun, I recorded this character's 4-2 run. Man, capturing is fun!

Weapon X vs. Old Hero - FIGHT!

I know this may sound like a dumb question but what is a good order ( worlds) for leveling up. The just beat the 1st boss
palnax
. So I entered the castle again and now I am getting my ass whopped. How should I go about this?

Labadal said:
You need to take it slow, try to fight enemies one at a time. Watch out for your stamina bar, and roll often. Only hit enemies once or twice, then step back.

Also, if you are having a hard time, I recommend the Royalist class. Makes things much easier in the beggining. Starts with a MP regen ring and the spell soul arrow.

yah I began blocking for my life and rolling

oracrest

spiderman123 said:
I know this may sound like a dumb question but what is a good order ( worlds) for leveling up. The just beat the 1st boss
palnax
. So I entered the castle again and now I am getting my ass whopped. How should I go about this?

4-1 and 4-2 are both good for leveling up.

1-2 isn't a big step up, although there are a lot of instant death moments you need to get familiar with. Other than that, I would say the first level in each world, going up the chain...

oracrest said:

1-2 isn't a big step up, although there are a lot of instant death moments you need to get familiar with. Other than that, I would say the first level in each world, going up the chain...

There is this knight with a red helmet and a spear in the castle on the 2nd level that keeps killing me with one hit. I gave up and went to stonefag level 1 and even that one is giving me a bit problem. Do geckos respawn?! I missed the one in stonefang

RIK

Neo Member

There is also some good stuff to find in 4-1 that can help out quite a bit when new to the game. Personally i had the most fun on my first playthrough by sucking up all the new impressions while exploring the world and learning how to survive.

Top Bottom