• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

LeCapitan

Neo Member
spiderman123 said:
There is this knight with a red helmet and a spear in the castle on the 2nd level that keeps killing me with one hit. I gave up and went to stonefag level 1 and even that one is giving me a bit problem. Do geckos respawn?! I missed the one in stonefang

Try upgrading your weapon a level or two. When I first started out I upgraded my sword a level and it helped immensely.

Stonefang will be much easier with a piercing weapon, or magic. All the small straight swords have a piercing attack using R2. You can also get the Crescent Falchion +1 from 4-1. It's a magic weapon, and will be one of the best weapons you have on your first play through.

Geckos have a limited number of spawns (not sure but something like 3 or 4) which reset after you kill the boss in that level. So try not to miss them any more, or don't worry about it until you do your second play through and decide you want to platinum the game. They can drop special ores but unless you know a specific upgraded weapon you want or you're trying to get the weapon upgrade trophies, I don't think it's something you should worry about TOO much.

oracrest

spiderman123 said:
There is this knight with a red helmet and a spear in the castle on the 2nd level that keeps killing me with one hit. I gave up and went to stonefag level 1 and even that one is giving me a bit problem. Do geckos respawn?! I missed the one in stonefang

Your probably thinking of the red eyed knight in 1-1, on the stone bridge. Leave him for later...

The crystal geckos do respawn, but there is a special way that they do. If you see one, it's real important you kill it for the items. I find that two handed style reaches down better with most weapons, so that's how I usually get them. Also, they run directly away from you, so you can use that to corral them into a corner for an easier attack. They don't respawn unlimited. Actually, each one is quite limited per playthrough.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Question - how is the new game +?

Is it dumb?

Or is it well designed as to where the game gets better on multiple playthroughs...

It's quite a bit harder, so familiar areas will be suddenly challenging again. Also, by NG+ you probably have access to some more advanced secrets in the game. The world tendency that you carry over may help you reach pure white or pure black easier than by default, for example. If your like me, there was tons of stuff you missed in the first playthrough that you can still discover for the first time.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
lowhighkang_LHK said:
Question - how is the new game +?

Is it dumb?

Or is it well designed as to where the game gets better on multiple playthroughs...

Not sure what you're getting at, but it's the same game, just harder (and quite a bit harder might I add). You keep all your items and can level up all the way to 777 (I think), although that would probably take you until NG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++...

I'm getting beat up in 2-1 right now in NG+ :( The boss is much harder the second time around.

RIK

Neo Member
Also, by NG+ you probably have access to some more advanced secrets in the game. The world tendency that you carry over may help you reach pure white or pure black easier than by default, for example. If your like me, there was tons of stuff you missed in the first playthrough that you can still discover for the first time.

That sounds familiar. lol
Missed lots of stuff on my first playthrough, did a wiki-powered perfect run on NG+ and was working on Platinum after that. Then i found myself grinding like 40 levels while trying to get a pure bladestone...

Drewfonse

First post on these forums, and it has to be in the Demon's Souls thread! I can echo what has already been said: if you're having trouble with the game, start over as Royalty. I found the game to be much more manageable with this class, and loved it so much that I'm on my third play through. Possibly my my favorite game this gen, and certainly one of my top 5 of all time. LOVE IT! Can't wait for Dark Souls!!

oracrest said:
Hey Euro Gaffers, what the cost/availability of a Black Phantom edition of this game in your neck of the woods?

either au$49 or $59 for the regular, forget which but saw it recently. for the boxed with the cd, guide etc. i'd say ebay is the only way to get one of those.

Grinchy

Banned
bdizzle said:
4-2 is fucking annoying!
What you find out after a while is that you can just skip most of it by sprinting through. Just be careful when you get to the translucent guys who shoot the huge beam across the room and you'll be fine. You can just skip every enemy and keep sprinting your way to the boss. Then, you can go back through the level later from reverse to grab the items you might have needed.

one85x

whiterabbit said:
What armor is the player wearing in this video? I started a new game and all I'm wearing is leather. It looks like you can run with whatever they are and the armor is still tough.
They start with leather armor, then change to Fluted. Fluted is actually pretty heavy though. I'm guessing they upped their endurance early on.

one85x said:
They start with leather armor, then change to Fluted. Fluted is actually pretty heavy though. I'm guessing they upped their endurance early on.

Oh ok and it's a female character, I thought it might be. Gotcha thanks.

Drewfonse

Another tip for newer players: although it will be very challenging, try to blow through World 4 early on. It has some great grinding opportunities, especially at the very end.

Atolm

spiderman123 said:

To kill the Red Eye Knight early on, take advantage of the Thief's Ring (which is found nearby, where Ostrava is). Grab his attention and make him follow you till the area with the catapults, then sprint for a bit. He will lose agro easily with the Thief's ring equipped, and will start to go back to his starting position. Follow him and stab him. You'll need more than one stab but he'll die eventually. It's a nice way to grind at the beginning of the game and he can drop the Purple flame shield, which is extremely useful for World 2.

I'm playing the game right now too. I'm near the end though. Missing only stages 1.4, 3.2, 3.3, 5.2 and 5.3. I'm a Temple knight and did the stages in the following order: 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.2, 4.3, 1.3. I wouldn't say the game has been easy, but certainly not infuriatingly hard as many say. Even managed to defeat the infamous 2.2 boss with a melee only approach at my 2nd try.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Atolm said:
To kill the Red Eye Knight early on, take advantage of the Thief's Ring (which is found nearby, where Ostrava is). Grab his attention and make him follow you till the area with the catapults, then sprint for a bit. He will lose agro easily with the Thief's ring equipped, and will start to go back to his starting position. Follow him and stab him. You'll need more than one stab but he'll die eventually. It's a nice way to grind at the beginning of the game and he can drop the Purple flame shield, which is extremely useful for World 2.

Just a note on the Purple Flame shield: It is very easy to aquire from the dragon's nest on your very first run of 1-1. Just make sure you can roll properly, this means you have maximum running speed as well. Run up to the bridge and wait for the red dragon to attack you. Stand on the bridge near the stairs and wait for him to breathe fire. As soon as he does this, stand somewhere safe, maybe a bit down the stairs, and wait just a little longer, just enough for you to see him turn around When he does this, it means he's going to repeat his fire breath, and it also means it's time for you to run! Run back through the corridor to the nest, quickly grab the shield and the flame resistance ring, then roll off the ledge (don't worry, there's a path down there). Voila.

This is useful if, for instance, you plan on playing offline where the tendency won't shift to near white by default.

Sword Familiar said:
Just a note on the Purple Flame shield: It is very easy to aquire from the dragon's nest on your very first run of 1-1. Just make sure you can roll properly, this means you have maximum running speed as well. Run up to the bridge and wait for the red dragon to attack you. Stand on the bridge near the stairs and wait for him to breathe fire. As soon as he does this, stand somewhere safe, maybe a bit down the stairs, and wait just a little longer, just enough for you to see him turn around When he does this, it means he's going to repeat his fire breath, and it also means it's time for you to run! Run back through the corridor to the nest, quickly grab the shield and the flame resistance ring, then roll off the ledge (don't worry, there's a path down there). Voila.

This is useful if, for instance, you plan on playing offline where the tendency won't shift to near white by default.

Thank you for this, I've been attempting to discover what was hiding in that Dragon's Nest since I started this game, and almost 3 playthroughs later I finally know.

Fun fact, on my first playthrough of this game (I was playing the Royalty class), I actually fought that damn Red Knight tooth and claw...and killed him. What I would do is spam him with magic attacks when he was running towards me, drop back to the catapult area, wait for him to go back, stab him from behind, rinse and repeat lots of times. And even then he killed me more times than not.

oracrest

That red eyed knight got a lot easier for me when I finally learned to
just stand and hold my shield up, and attack during his stun state.
The way he charges at you with reckless abandon, it's pretty scary to just stand there.

manzo

So, I got pure white tendency after killing the old monk in 3-3. When I returned to the Nexus, I went to 3-1 to see what opened up. Got all the stuff from behind the inaccessible pile of rubble.

Then I read that in
3-2
is the key to open Sage Freke's cell. After returning to the nexus, the world tendecy shifted one down from pure white.

How the hell can I get it back to pure white, so I can get the key?

I've been playing online all the time, I really don't know why it changed..

manzo said:
So, I got pure white tendency after killing the old monk in 3-3. When I returned to the Nexus, I went to 3-1 to see what opened up. Got all the stuff from behind the inaccessible pile of rubble.

Then I read that in
3-2
is the key to open Sage Freke's cell. After returning to the nexus, the world tendecy shifted one down from pure white.

How the hell can I get it back to pure white, so I can get the key?

Freke's key is in 3-1. Are you talking about
the key for Rydell's cell?
you might have to go PBWT and kill the named BP and primeval demon in one shot to get PWWT again... if not since the old monk is down you might have to wait for NG+.

Edit: Did you die in body form in 3-1? That would move the WT down.

RyanDG

manzo said:

Any time you exit a world and go back to the nexus, it shifts your world tendency one direction to the 'world average' at the time you are playing. If the online world tendency is lower than pure white, when you exit the world and go back to the nexus, it'll shift down one level towards where it was before.

Edit: Scratched what I said above - Online world tendency is only affected by loading a game for that existing session. I don't know why it shifted. My bad. For some reason I thought it shifted upon entering the nexus even in online but that wouldn't make much sense.

Grinchy

Banned
I am getting dangerously close to my platinum for this game! I will have to play through as a new character to get all the spells though. I have a Faith character and I really don't feel like playing through NG+++ just to get spells. I'd rather start a new file and blast through it. It's been a fun ride, though.

manzo

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Freke's key is in 3-1. Are you talking about
the key for Rydell's cell?
you might have to go PBWT and kill the named BP and primeval demon in one shot to get PWWT again... if not since the old monk is down you might have to wait for NG+.

Ah yes, wrong guy. So there is no way to raise world tendency after all bosses have been killed? I'm basically fucked until NG+?

I don't think I died in human form.

Goddamn, all of these terms and shit don't exactly make me want to rush out and get the game. White what? Pure bladestone? And if not for this thread/internet, how would I know an item guarded by a boss in 4-3 is useful for a segment of 2-1? Are there hints in game?

Edit: Human form? What is going on?

manzo said:
Ah yes, wrong guy. So there is no way to raise world tendency after all bosses have been killed? I'm basically fucked until NG+?

I don't think I died in human form.
Well if you have done the PBWT stuff already then yes. If you haven't then you can get to PBWT and go after
BP Rydell
and then stay in the world and go to 3-2 to kill the primeval demon. That should bump you back to pure white. After that you can go get the key and once the key is obtained the path to it will stay regardless of world tendency.

Oracrest posted about doing this (getting PWWT) some posts back with instructions far better then mine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29042330&postcount=6341

Melfice7

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Goddamn, all of these terms and shit don't exactly make me want to rush out and get the game. White what? Pure bladestone? And if not for this thread/internet, how would I know an item guarded by a boss in 4-3 is useful for a segment of 2-1? Are there hints in game?

Dost thou seek soul power, dost thou not?

manzo

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Well if you have done the PBWT stuff already then yes. If you haven't then you can get to PBWT and go after
BP Rydell
and then stay in the world and go to 3-2 to kill the primeval demon. That should bump you back to pure white. After that you can go get the key and once the key is obtained the path to it will stay regardless of world tendency.

Oracrest posted about doing this (getting PWWT) some posts back with instructions far better then mine: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29042330&postcount=6341

But I've already killed all the demons in 3 (old monk is already dead).

Is it just me or is the Dark Silver set the best compromise between defense and mobility?

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Well, you have to be willing to pump time and energy into this game if you want the full experience. It's not exactly pick up and play. If you do, it's insanely rewarding.

manzo said:
But I've already killed all the demons in 3 (old monk is already dead).
Sorry, I might have not been to clear. So you have already killed all the boss demons (Fool's Idol, Maneater, and Old Monk) but have you done the Pure Black World Tendency things like killing
Black Phantom Rydell
and the primeval demon that only shows up at PBWT?

If you have done those PBWT things then yes you need to get the key on NG+.

Sorry for the confusion.

Zertez

schennmu said:
Is it just me or is the Dark Silver set the best compromise between defense and mobility?
Dark Silver is a solid set for melee, if you put some points into Endurance. As a mage I cant roll using Dark Silver, but my endurance is crap. Being able to roll is one of my biggest priorities, if I cant roll, I would rather use something with less defense. That is me though, some people dont count on roll as much.

Quick question, what happens if you die in a world that you've already claimed the demon soul from? I need to pick up some items from previous levels I've beaten and just wasn't sure what would happen.

Reilly

Proposed Law said:
Quick question, what happens if you die in a world that you've already claimed the demon soul from? I need to pick up some items from previous levels I've beaten and just wasn't sure what would happen.

The world tendency will shift towards black if you die in human form.

Johnas

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Well, it's not supposed to make sense outside of the context of the game.

Most of us have an overall extremely positive experience with the game. Give it a shot. You'll pick up on all the terminology in time.

is online still supported?

How do you guys rate yourself, pvp wise? I thought I was pretty damned good w/o cheap stuff like DBS or Stun Locks with double Katana's, and in my heart i still feel this desire to jump into boletaria and defend, or kill, you wandering souls.

I miss the informal etiquette most of all, the bows, the mutual breaks to heal, etc.

Holy crap, I've played 25 hours and defeated eight bosses before realizing that there's a random guy selling offensive magic spells in the opposite area of Saint Urbain, the annoying coward, and the Umbasa lady. Soul Ray would've come in handy against those damn Octopus Heads, that's for sure :p

I only ventured there because I saved Sage Freke and was wondering where the hell in the Nexus he was. Weird considering how exhaustively I've explored otherwise.

This game is in a league of its own. It's the first game this generation that I feel deserves to be called a masterpiece. The whole world is just so lovingly designed, so incredibly cohesive. Other than not being able to see what stats are upgraded (or downgraded) before buying a weapon, I honestly can't think of a single flaw.

It's the perfect game. I mean the way they integrated online and PVP into the single player experience AND make it fit into the lore of the story. The story is told entirely through hints and the environment, not through dialogue or cutscenes. what other game can do that?

Totally agree. It's kind of sad that From Software is the only Japanese dev this generation to do anything interesting with online features. I was playing MvC3 last week, and it's pathetic that the online is more primitive than their first online fighting game on XBOX last generation (CvS2).

First with Chrome Hounds and then with Demon's Soul, From has shown that online can be more than just tacked-on co-op or out of place deathmatch. It can be just as immersive and integral to the core experience as single player.

oracrest

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Truth be told, the game is rather small, but PACKED with unique moments. That's why with a single term, another player will know exactly what your referring to.

There a lot of ongoing behind-the-scenes systems and dynamics in place throughout the game that ensure multiple playthroughs will be different. Most of these aren't meant to be figured out blatantly. This is by design, and not made to frustrate the player, or force you to buy a hintbook. Almost every scenario can be solved in a variety of ways, usually in ways that feel natural and logical.

"body form" is one of two states your character can be in. When you die in body form, you go into "Soul form," your max health is halved, but you do more damage. In body form, you may summon other players that are soul form to help you complete a level. You may also be "invaded," where another player in soul form enters into your game, and tries to kill you (friendly players are known as blue phantoms, and invaders known as black phantoms.) I a black phantom kills you, they gain body form again in their, and you go back soul form. Once lost, the only ways to get body form back are by defeating a boss, invade and kill another player, be summoned into another players game as a co-op partner and help them defeat the boss of their level, or use a special item that is rare but collected throughout normal play.

It may sound a bit confusing and complicated, but it is a very fun system that makes PvP and co-op special and unique, since you can't just go into a lobby and start multiplayer. There must be another player out there waiting to be summoned by you for it to happen, and vice versa. There is a big sense of comradery to it. I have killed invaders who then ask for help in their game via co-op.

I mean, the games only $20, not a big risk on your part.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MoonsaultSlayer said:

Just buy the game, seriously. You don't need to know any term before jumping in. Just do it and if you like the game, it'll come automatically.

Yoshichan said:
Just buy the game, seriously. You don't need to know any term before jumping in. Just do it and if you like the game, it'll come automatically.

Listen to this man.

If you "need" the help, it's out there. But, honestly, the game is even that much better when you fumble around with only in-game messages to help you.

manzo

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Sorry, I might have not been to clear. So you have already killed all the boss demons (Fool's Idol, Maneater, and Old Monk) but have you done the Pure Black World Tendency things like killing
Black Phantom Rydell
and the primeval demon that only shows up at PBWT?

If you have done those PBWT things then yes you need to get the key on NG+.

Sorry for the confusion.

No, I haven't done any pure black world tendency events at all. I've killed Fool's Idol, Maneater and Old Monk though.

So basically, I'll go PBWT, kill PB Rydell and then some primeval demon that appears only in PBWT?

manzo said:
No, I haven't done any pure black world tendency events at all. I've killed Fool's Idol, Maneater and Old Monk though.

So basically, I'll go PBWT, kill PB Rydell and then some primeval demon that appears only in PBWT?
Have you actually tried going to the top of the tower to get the key? Once you reach PWWT at one point it will remain unlock even if the world tendency changes later.

manzo

SonicX_Zero said:
Have you actually tried going to the top of the tower to get the key? Once you reach PWWT at one point it will remain unlock even if the world tendency changes later.

Yeah. The bridge is not there. It's freaking weird - I can access cells after the rubble (which only opens on PWWT) in 3-1, but the bridge is not there in 3-2.

If the bridge wont appear then you'll have to get it in NG+ since BP + Primeval Demon would still be a level short of PBWT and you dont have any boss left to kill.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Play the tutorial. Read the manual. And maybe read the three sticky topics at the demons souls gamefaq board.

And you'll be aiiight.

genjiZERO

MoonsaultSlayer said:

don't even worry about the tendencies in your first play through. The others you learn quickly about as you play. If you play online there are hints scattered throughout the levels. It's all pretty easy to figure out as you play it. But the game is hard and you will die a lot and lose a lot of souls a bunch of times. Just play it, the hard part is the enemies and knowing the levels, not figuring out how to play.

Grinchy

Banned
bdizzle said:
100% sure I'm going for platinum in this bitch.
I have hit 80% so far! All I have to do is get a +5 mercurystone weapon, get a few of the special weapons, and then get a few more spells. It's so close I can taste it. I just have to have this game platinumed before Dark Souls comes out.

Top Bottom