• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

manzo

I killed the false king and now the sad/beautiful melody in the Nexus changed to some organ shit! BWAAA BWAAA BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BWAAAA BWAAA

Give me back my Nexus music!!! ;_;

Giriath_89 said:
Yeah...those damn laser beams, backstabbing bitches and narrow walkways.

The rest of the level is a breeze for my build, but god damn those 2 golden skeletons. That's where I die if I can't get to the boss.

Hey guys. I need the following items:

-Pure Bladestone
-Pure Darkmoonstone
-Pure Faintstone
-Chunk of Marrowstone

+5 weapons for any of the above stones would work as well; I just need to hold them for the trophies. I'm soul level 121 but can go as high as needed to trade. I guess the rarest thing I have to trade would be any number of Pure Moonlight Stones. I have chunks and Pure pieces of every other type of stone.

PSN is "MassXtortion"

Thanks

manzo said:
I killed the false king and now the sad/beautiful melody in the Nexus changed to some organ shit! BWAAA BWAAA BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BWAAAA BWAAA

Give me back my Nexus music!!! ;_;

The rest of the level is a breeze for my build, but god damn those 2 golden skeletons. That's where I die if I can't get to the boss.

When you get to the 2 gold skeletons, try to lure back them to the little jump that is in the begginning of the cliff (I don't know explain it better, sorry), you can jump the edge the golden skeletons no so they can't reach you, use a long distance weapon or magic and done, otherwise an even more cheap tactic is to throw soul remains to the edge of the cliff you are, so they will try to attack them and maybe fall off, no items this way but oh well....

johntown

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Hey guys. I need the following items:

-Pure Bladestone
-Pure Darkmoonstone
-Pure Faintstone
-Chunk of Marrowstone

+5 weapons for any of the above stones would work as well; I just need to hold them for the trophies. I'm soul level 121 but can go as high as needed to trade. I guess the rarest thing I have to trade would be any number of Pure Moonlight Stones. I have chunks and Pure pieces of every other type of stone.

PSN is "MassXtortion"

Thanks
You can get the Pure Faintstone in the Nexus just by talking to that girl sitting on the wall near Saint Urbain. All you need is to have you Faith stat at 20.

Pure Darkmoonstone and Bladestone are probably why I will never platinum this game, despite having 7000+ multiplayer sessions. I tried grinding Bladestone for about a week before I stopped caring.

Grinchy

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Pure Darkmoonstone and Bladestone are probably why I will never platinum this game, despite having 7000+ multiplayer sessions. I tried grinding Bladestone for about a week before I stopped caring.
Man, that sucks. I was so lucky with mine. I learned how to do the soulsucker technique on PBWT 4-2, and did about 4 runs before it dropped.

I haven't played this game in ages and got back into it again. I forgot most of the layout but I still get that amazing sense of dread when I am in the environment.

Got pure white tendency in world one for the first time ever. Wish I could kill geckos better.

chunk3rvd

Just finally finished my first play through at around the 70 hour mark!!! The only tendency/world event I missed was getting the key to go and fight Old King Doran and I'm about to start NG+

Can I just kill Ostravia the moment I see him to get that? I know he drops armour if you keep him alive but I think I already got that in 3-2. I think he got killed last time when I wasn't looking after him and I never got a chance to grab the key

Tried my hand at invading for the first time, and although I got my ass handed to me pretty often (and ran into a couple people that quit after I murderized em') I had a pretty decent time and wound up 3-5 for the night.

Also I have to find me a better weapon for my dexterity build than the Crescent Falchion. The reach on that blade sucks.

johntown said:
You can get the Pure Faintstone in the Nexus just by talking to that girl sitting on the wall near Saint Urbain. All you need is to have you Faith stat at 20.
you have to do this before you rescue saint urbain, however. she states that she was going to give it him but since you're so devout yourself you get to have it.

Grinchy

Banned
One trophy left. Three magical abilities away from my plat. Of course, getting the last few requires another new game...

Platinum'd. What a game.

My one huge complaint would be that the game can be downright stupid if you aren't using a guide. If the game is 1000 layers deep (and it probably is), then it feels like only 990 of them are made evident within the game itself. Without the internet, I would have thrown in the towel very early on. Maybe I'm lazy but I'd rather not have to spend what would probably be upwards of 10-15 hours getting decent equipment and learning the game's systems, while making minimal progress.

I also had a few nitpicks with the controls: targeting felt clunky with no real indicators of when you are in or out of targeting range. Using a bow was overly cumbersome and the aiming felt janky.

Oh, and fuck 4-2. The second cave is pure hell without a walkthrough. Probably the most irritating level in the game.

Not knocking the game too hard; the developers are clearly brilliant, as showcased in the level design, complexity, and boss battles. Speaking of boss battles, holy fucking god the boss battles. Looking at them all together, maybe the best in any combat-focused game. So challenging, so varied, so unexpected in many cases. Though a good number of them can be cheesed through (lol Adjudicator), they never ever fail to disappoint.

I really enjoyed Demon's Souls and will definitely be there day one for Dark Souls, provided I have a detailed walkthrough at my fingertips.

P.S. - I don't give a fuck what they marketed this game as; it's fucking survival horror.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Also I have to find me a better weapon for my dexterity build than the Crescent Falchion. The reach on that blade sucks.
Maxed Hiltless or a +5 Uchi of some kind. The running 2H attack is murderous. Practice attacking without locking on to targets. Will make you much more deadly. :) The only downside is shields, but if you jump back you can bait openings and follow with a lunge strike.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I know this isn't a dark souls thread, but i just wanted to share an observation. This might be obvious to some of you, but I just figured it out. You know how demons souls shares a beyond coincidental series of similarities with the manga berserk? I just noticed the significance of dark souls's theme of the eclipse. I really love when they make the two universes similar, because we will never get a great berserk game and every similarity is appreciated.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
chunk3rvd said:
Just finally finished my first play through at around the 70 hour mark!!! The only tendency/world event I missed was getting the key to go and fight Old King Doran and I'm about to start NG+

Can I just kill Ostravia the moment I see him to get that? I know he drops armour if you keep him alive but I think I already got that in 3-2. I think he got killed last time when I wasn't looking after him and I never got a chance to grab the key

Ostrava will drop the key if killed anywhere in the game, world tendency doesn't matter. If you manage to save him all the three times, then
his BP from will drop the key instead, after he suicides.

However, if you don't grab the loot, then the key is gone. You'll have to get it on ng+

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
FootNinja said:
I know this isn't a dark souls thread, but i just wanted to share an observation. This might be obvious to some of you, but I just figured it out. You know how demons souls shares a beyond coincidental series of similarities with the manga berserk? I just noticed the significance of dark souls's theme of the eclipse. I really love when they make the two universes similar, because we will never get a great berserk game and every similarity is appreciated.
You remember those spinning torture wheel zombies in Berserk, some dudes that were executed by Mozgus in the Tower arc and attacked Isidro? Those exact enemies are in Dark Souls, you can see them in the first trailer. Also

main.jpg

Tell me that does not look exactly like a human ghost possessing an animal in Berserk. I cannot wait to fight those bastards.

Just jumped into the Nexus and started playing this game, beat all 1s so far, getting into the 2's.

4-1 is definitely my most hated (not in a bad way) level so far because of those fucking flying mantas. Reminded me of my loathing for Cliff Racers from Morrowind.

I am playing as a Royal, mostly using a Creschent (sp) sword and then switching to my catalyst when I can. Can someone explain the upgrades to me? I have all this stone that I don't know how to use. Right now the only thing I can upgrade is my Heater Shield. Why can't I upgrade my weapon or the Dark Heater shield I just picked up? Like, it doesn't even list it as an option.

mt1200

CrocMother said:
Just jumped into the Nexus and started playing this game, beat all 1s so far, getting into the 2's.

4-1 is definitely my most hated (not in a bad way) level so far because of those fucking flying mantas. Reminded me of my loathing for Cliff Racers from Morrowind.

Get the Thief's ring in 1-1 or those mantas will gang-rape you in later levels

buhdeh

CrocMother said:

I am playing as a Royal, mostly using a Creschent (sp) sword and then switching to my catalyst when I can. Can someone explain the upgrades to me? I have all this stone that I don't know how to use. Right now the only thing I can upgrade is my Heater Shield. Why can't I upgrade my weapon or the Dark Heater shield I just picked up? Like, it doesn't even list it as an option.

Demon's Souls wiki is your friend. I can't remember what the Crescent Falchion requires to upgrade but I think you need to go to Blacksmith Ed (2-1) and give him the 2-2 boss' soul to do it. It was either a colorless demon soul or something moon stone.

buhdeh

The Xtortionist said:
My one huge complaint would be that the game can be downright stupid if you aren't using a guide. If the game is 1000 layers deep (and it probably is), then it feels like only 990 of them are made evident within the game itself. Without the internet, I would have thrown in the towel very early on. Maybe I'm lazy but I'd rather not have to spend what would probably be upwards of 10-15 hours getting decent equipment and learning the game's systems, while making minimal progress.

I also had a few nitpicks with the controls: targeting felt clunky with no real indicators of when you are in or out of targeting range. Using a bow was overly cumbersome and the aiming felt janky.

Oh, and fuck 4-2. The second cave is pure hell without a walkthrough. Probably the most irritating level in the game.

Not knocking the game too hard; the developers are clearly brilliant, as showcased in the level design, complexity, and boss battles. Speaking of boss battles, holy fucking god the boss battles. Looking at them all together, maybe the best in any combat-focused game. So challenging, so varied, so unexpected in many cases. Though a good number of them can be cheesed through (lol Adjudicator), they never ever fail to disappoint.

I think there are pros and cons to internet guides. On the one hand, most people would be completely lost with the game without them. On the other, a lot of the intricacies of the game get exposed and you end up sort of "gaming" the system.

But yeah the controls are really clunky. And once you get a good bow and a shitload of arrows, the game gets too easy. Especially if you use the Thief's Ring a lot.

I would say the controls are simple rather than clunky. Playing without lock-on makes movement and melee attacking much better IMO.

And yeah, bows definitely make the single player much easier.

gioGAF

Certain stones are used for specific upgrades. For example:

A "Falchion" can be upgraded using Sharpstones (found in 1-X and 2-X) by the Blacksmith at the Nexus (he can ONLY upgrade using Hardstone, Sharpstone or Clearstone) or the Blacksmith in world 2-1 (he can do all upgrades, he could upgrade Dark Heater but don't bother since it is TRASH). Once you get the "Falchion" to +6 using Sharpstones, you can upgrade it to a "Crescent Falchion" using Darkmoonstones (only found in world 4-X). You can find a "Crescent Falchion" in world 4-1, it can ONLY be upgraded with Darkmoonstone (ONLY found in world 4-X) by ONLY the Blacksmith in world 2-1.

I hope this makes some sense. It can be a little difficult to understand when you are just beginning, so I definitely recommend you take a look at the wiki when you get a chance (just the upgrade section if you want to avoid spoilers).

oracrest

This has been a great first foray into game video capture, which is something I have been meaning to do for a long time. Since I started this, my youtube account got upgraded, and I have since uploaded full 720x480 videos of both playthroughs, one level per video, and not just <15 minute snippets like before. Enjoy! All deaths are included, but edited down to just a moment before moment of death to save time while watching.

SPOILER DISCLAIMER:
If you haven't played Demon's Souls before, and are thinking of doing so, I highly recommend NOT watching these videos. They are very spoiler heavy, and this is a game that you really want to experience as much as possible firsthand, without any idea of what coming next.

Challenge Mode:
Soul Level 1 no-magic Playthrough - "Sir Gafeon"

sirgafeon.png

For this challenge, you must start as a royal (the only class to start at level 1 by default,) and not use any spells or miracles. As requested, I defeated every Boss/Mini-Boss, Mephistopheles Quest, all named BP characters, and all instanced BP's.

Made especially for Demon's Souls-GAF... All videos in both lists are arranged in the order they were completed.

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - Tutorial Level

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-1 Red Dragon

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - PWWT events - Worlds 1 & 3

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - Mephistopheles

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-4 Blue Dragon & Final Mephistopheles Quest

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 4-1 Satsuki/Vanguard & 1-4 Black Phantoms

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-4 King Allant

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - 1-1 Old King Doran

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - World 2 PBWT & PWWT

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - World 5 PBWT

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - World 5 PWWT

Demon's Souls SL1 Character Playthrough - End Game

Challenge Mode: Soul Level 9 "Naked" Barbarian Playthrough - "Escaped Miner #6"

escaped.png

This is a challenge recommended by 'mmghouse' over at the Demon's Souls Wiki forums site. Start as a barbarian class (defaults to level 9, and only use the gear you start the game with (Club, Wooden Shield, No armor.) The request for the SL1 character to kill everything came in about halfway through my game, and due to WT, I had to utilize the Primeval Demon trick of attaining PWWT. My regular capture station doesn't have internet, so it took some time to figure out how to capture online. In the meantime, I started this character...

I themed this character as a slave miner in Stonefang Tunnel that has escaped and is trying to fight his way free. From mine records, he is listed simply as "Miner #6."

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - Character Creation

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - Tutorial Level (Vanguard)

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 1-1 Boletarian Palace

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 2-1 Stonefang Tunnel

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 3-1 Tower of Latria

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 1-2 Phalanx Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 4-1 Shrine of Storms

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 4-2 Adjudicator Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 4-3 Old Hero Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 5-1 Valley of Defilement

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 5-2 Leechmonger Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 5-3 Dirty Colossus Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 1-3 Tower Knight Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 3-2 Fool's Idol Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 3-3 Maneater Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 2-2 Armor Spider Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 2-3 Flamelurker Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - 1-4 Penetrator Archstone

Demon's Souls SL9 Barbarian Playthrough - End Game

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Damn oracrest, that is sick. I will be sitting down in my dressing gown with a glass of brandy, watching the exploits of #6 at the next available opportunity.

Sir Gafeon was a joy to behold. Bravo, sir.
I hope you enjoy Dark Souls even half as much as you seem to have Demon's :)

Sykotik

Awesome job, oracrest! Perhaps the next step is live commentary?

The only criticism I have for your videos is they're dark. Obviously, Demon's Souls is a dark game, but when it's coupled with youtube's loss in quality they devolve into can't see shit levels of darkness. It's not as if I'm even criticizing you, it's just an inconvenience for me, personally. Maybe try turning up the gamma during encoding to counteract youtube? For future endeavors into darkness, that is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will you marry me Oracrest?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Wow Oracrest, those are awesome.

I haven't finished my first playthrough yet, but I'll probably watch a few of them before I start a NG+.

Which one did you enjoy playing more? The Knight or the Barbarian?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
bone_and_sinew said:
You remember those spinning torture wheel zombies in Berserk, some dudes that were executed by Mozgus in the Tower arc and attacked Isidro? Those exact enemies are in Dark Souls, you can see them in the first trailer. Also

http://www.fromsoftware.jp/darksouls/contents/img/ds41/main.jpg[IMG]

Tell me that does not look exactly like a human ghost possessing an animal in Berserk. I cannot wait to fight those bastards.[/QUOTE]
It really does. All we need is an NPC that looks like griffith who does the unspeakable and we are set.

MYE

Can you DS experts critic my current stats and equipment?

1RuZz.jpg

Equipment
Spiked Shield +4
White Bow
Kilij +8
Silver Catalyst

Assassins Mask
Saint's Robe
Saint's Gauntlet
Fluted Leggings

Thief's Ring
Cling Ring

Any recommendations on those stats?
What about the equipment? Been using that ugly gear and weapon combo for too long eh...

I do prefer light armor and quick weapons though...

bone_and_sinew

Being a jack of all trades, master of none is ok if you have no intent of going online or playing NG+. Otherwise, de-level and rebuild completely (take it from the voice of experience as I did the same thing you're doing with my first character).
Putting points into luck is always pointless unless you're a Blueblood Swordsman build. Your hp and endurance are low, both should be at least 30.

IIRC, Saint's Robe is inferior to Venerable Sage's Robe in every way and every piece while weighing the same. I've also never seen the appeal in combat of the Spiked shield.

MYE

bone_and_sinew said:
Being a jack of all trades, master of none is ok if you have no intent of going online or playing NG+. Otherwise, de-level and rebuild completely (take it from the voice of experience as I did the same thing you're doing with my first character).
Putting points into luck is always pointless unless you're a Blueblood Swordsman build. Your hp and endurance are low, both should be at least 30.

IIRC, Saint's Robe is inferior to Venerable Sage's Robe in every way and every piece while weighing the same. I've also never seen the appeal in combat of the Spiked shield.

Thanks, thats the kind of stuff i wanted to hear :p

edit: what shield do you recommend?

bone_and_sinew said:
Dark Silver Shield for parrying, Adjudicator's Shield otherwise.
LOVE that shield. Although it tends to be one of the last pickups in the game (since everyone hates 5-2 and puts it off till last). I used a Dark Knight shield for quite a while before I got the Dark Silver Shield and it worked just as good.

Grinchy

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Although it tends to be one of the last pickups in the game (since everyone hates 5-2 and puts it off till last),
I'm weird. I love world 5, and 5-2 is my favorite part.

bone_and_sinew

I hate doing 5-2 alone but it's one of my favorite co-op levels along 1-3 though. Only problem though is that it's hard to find someone and when I do most people are noobs who charge blindly and ill-equipped.

bone_and_sinew said:
I hate doing 5-2 alone but it's one of my favorite co-op levels along 1-3 though. Only problem though is that it's hard to find someone and when I do most people are noobs who charge blindly and ill-equipped.
Hah exactly the same. So many hosts just run right for the 1-3 traps and end mob -_-

I have loads of fun in 1-3, but to me 5-2 is just a boring crawl, although I haven't done it co-op. So 5 is always the last in my playthroughs.

bone_and_sinew

seeds19 said:
Finally i've got the platinum trophy 5 minuts ago, mi first platinum trophy YAY!

Welcome to the club. The tanker truck full of whiskey and wheelbarrow to carry testicles is behind the second door past the T-Rex arena.

chris-013

I bought the game six maybe seven month ago and never played it... and now it's like drugs !

I'm really impressed by the moveset of the weapons and the weight of the character. It's like I'm playing a "knight simulator" you can feel the weight or the weapon/shield and armor.

I finished the first level in the castle died 0 time even the boss was easy. I'm not sure why people say the game is hard or maybe I'm too used to game like that. You just need to play safe and be patient.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
LOVE that shield. Although it tends to be one of the last pickups in the game (since everyone hates 5-2 and puts it off till last). I used a Dark Knight shield for quite a while before I got the Dark Silver Shield and it worked just as good.

Steel Shield +X is a beast and will easily last a lower strength character for most of the game.

Top Bottom