• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Smelly Tramp said:
new game + is solid! just about managed to kill the flamelurker by the skin of my teeth, how on earth am i gonna kill the maneaters?
Or False King Allant. Damn those three boss fights were bitches in NG+, along with Old King doran.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
THANK YOU (you know who you are)!!!!

My friend just bought me the Deluxe version (US) of Demon's Souls and this mean my DS collection is now OFFICIALLY complete!

The five different versions is in my hands! Mwhahahah

Thank you♥

Game done, along with Phalanx from 1-1.

What. A. Game. The raw amount of creativity poured into this project is staggering. I haven't played something so well designed, balanced and rewarding in my entire gaming history. This is something really, really special and is easily in my top 3 of this gen (along with Bioshock and Fallout 3). If anyone is reading this and hasn't played it yet - GET IT NOW! Experiences like this one is the reason why gaming is so awesome.

oracrest

Yoshichan said:
THANK YOU (you know who you are)!!!!

My friend just bought me the Deluxe version (US) of Demon's Souls and this mean my DS collection is now OFFICIALLY complete!

Thank you♥

Nice. I just ordered the Black Phantom PAL version, so I can go for at least a second platinum with that.

LaB_NL

oracrest said:
Nice. I just ordered the Black Phantom PAL version, so I can go for at least a second platinum with that.

Quite hard to find, no? At least here it's nowhere to be found.

I should get back to DS this week. My body is aching to platinum this again.

Yoshichan said:

Thank you♥

Congrats!!!

bone_and_sinew said:
Or False King Allant. Damn those three boss fights were bitches in NG+, along with Old King doran.

false king allant (in my opinion the toughest fight in the game) and flamelurker were very tough, but i feel like maneaters are overrated in terms of difficulty. after a couple of tries
i managed to get them separated and one on one they were not bad.
was i just lucky?

Any point in destroying environment? Can stuff drop from there? Beside some visible stuff I can get to by destroying it.

Also decided to do spell-sword build while leveling, and by ng+ and for pvp time hopefully I'll be a lot better and more knowledgeable about stuff, bbs probably :p

EasyMode

Nolimit_SS said:
Any point in destroying environment? Can stuff drop from there? Beside some visible stuff I can get to by destroying it.
Not really. But how can you see a bunch of vases and not want to roll through them?

oracrest

Nolimit_SS said:

Also decided to do spell-sword build while leveling, and by ng+ and for pvp time hopefully I'll be a lot better and more knowledgeable about stuff, bbs probably :p

Destroying environment objects may reveal hidden items, reveal hidden passages, or clear out an area where you know you will be fighting in the future.

Khal_B said:
Hey guys, just got the game. For a first time playthrough is it better to play in the offline or online mode?

Definetly online, you get very useful messages about incoming dangers, tips about foes and bosses, near treasures, etc.., you may get invaded (not probably until you gain a few levels), but still it's worth.

Khal_B said:
Hey guys, just got the game. For a first time playthrough is it better to play in the offline or online mode?
If you're like me, you'll spend most of your time dead so just stay online. The pros will outweigh the 'cons'.

Questions about World Tendency:

1) From what I understand, when I die in body form, the World Tendency shifts to Black. If I die 5 times and then go back to nexus and then return to the same world again, Tendency should be Pure Black, correct? I don't need to die 7 times without returning to Nexus?

2) From what I understand, each world has its own Tendency? Does this mean I can have one world with Pure Black and one world with Pure White?

3) How big is the difficulty spike when going to Pure Black?

Vitten

Lagspike_exe said:
Questions about World Tendency:

1) From what I understand, when I die in body form, the World Tendency shifts to Black. If I die 5 times and then go back to nexus and then return to the same world again, Tendency should be Pure Black, correct? I don't need to die 7 times without returning to Nexus?

2) From what I understand, each world has its own Tendency? Does this mean I can have one world with Pure Black and one world with Pure White?

3) How big is the difficulty spike when going to Pure Black?

1) It takes 7 deaths in body form to go from pure white to pure black WT.
If you start at neutral tendency than 5 deaths should certainly be enough. You can always check the colour of the archstone in the start menu to make sure.

2) yes.

3) In pure black, enemy strength will rise to 'level 3' according to the official guide. which basically means they will do more damage and have more hp but it's nothing too drastic. However, new enemies will also appear which are black phantom versions of the standard enemies and these are tough sobs !

Vitten said:
1) It takes 7 deaths in body form to go from pure white to pure black WT.
If you start at neutral tendency than 5 deaths should certainly be enough. You can always check the colour of the archstone in the start menu to make sure.

2) yes.

3) In pure black, enemy strength will rise to 'level 3' according to the official guide. which basically means they will do more damage and have more hp but it's nothing too drastic. However, new enemies will also appear which are black phantom versions of the standard enemies and these are tough sobs !

Gotcha. And if I die for example 2 times in a World and then go back to the Nexus, will those 2 deaths count when I return again?

Lagspike_exe said:
Gotcha. And if I die for example 2 times in a World and then go back to the Nexus, will those 2 deaths count when I return again?

Yes, they don't count while you're are in the World, they will count the next time you go to that world from the Nexus.

macuser1of5 - I am using that build with some slight variations and HOLY HELL I love it. Thanks! I am currently woring on 5-2 to get hiltless to replace motoko and then get my morion blade for full low hp damage boost. Thanks again!

angelfly

Reading through some of these posts have urged to finally jump back in and start a new game. I haven't played it since my old 40GB crapped out on me and I lost my save. Also my hype for Dark Souls had been pushing me to jump back in for a while now as well.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
macuser1of5 - I am using that build with some slight variations and HOLY HELL I love it. Thanks! I am currently woring on 5-2 to get hiltless to replace motoko and then get my morion blade for full low hp damage boost. Thanks again!
Good to hear :D Don't neglect Blind if you can get it to +5, probably my favorite 'surprise' weapon.

hey, so I knocked old king dorans health down enough where he let me pick up the sword, and I have it now, but he stopped fighting me and is just letting me beat on him. Is this what I'm supposed to do to kill him and get his armor? Will he start attacking me again if I keep hitting him?

robotzombie said:
hey, so I knocked old king dorans health down enough where he let me pick up the sword, and I have it now, but he stopped fighting me and is just letting me beat on him. Is this what I'm supposed to do to kill him and get his armor? Will he start attacking me again if I keep hitting him?

- Yes.

- What do you think?

P.D: Prepare yourself, because he is way more agressive in the second round.

robotzombie said:
Yep, and he will lay on a hurting. Get ready to dodge.

Yeah, this is bad, he kills me in one shot, and my meat cleaver is only hitting for like 80 damage with curse weapon... this is going to be rough

macuser1of5 said:
Good to hear :D Don't neglect Blind if you can get it to +5, probably my favorite 'surprise' weapon.
Will do (when i decide to stop being a pansy and go into world 5 like a man). I am currently using sticky bow +3 and the assassin set with the leather wanderer chest for armor so I can roll like crazy.

robotzombie said:
Yeah, this is bad, he kills me in one shot, and my meat cleaver is only hitting for like 80 damage with curse weapon... this is going to be rough
You can go the backstab route... it will take longer but you are a little safer.

RedSwirl

Had to rely on a buddy on a boss again, this time the armored spider. I know for sure I would've died on at least the first try otherwise.

By the way I started out as a knight. Not sure if that was the best choice now but I don't think I have time to start over with a new character. I was totally overwhelmed by the class selector the first time I booted the game up.

having real trouble getting through 4-2 on ng+. getting past the 3rd reaper is so difficult. take out the first ghost thing, snipe the 2nd with the bow, run round and try to kill the reaper but one shot from him and i get destroyed.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Will do (when i decide to stop being a pansy and go into world 5 like a man). I am currently using sticky bow +3 and the assassin set with the leather wanderer chest for armor so I can roll like crazy.
What level are you? I can uh, drop goodies if you want. >_>

macuser1of5 said:
What level are you? I can uh, drop goodies if you want. >_>

what kind of goodies are you talking about? how do you arrange to meet with someone anyway? my char is sl ~35.

ps i know you werent talking to me but i was just wondering :]

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Smelly Tramp said:
having real trouble getting through 4-2 on ng+. getting past the 3rd reaper is so difficult. take out the first ghost thing, snipe the 2nd with the bow, run round and try to kill the reaper but one shot from him and i get destroyed.
If you're on NG plus I assume you have at least one of God's Wrath or Firestorm. Cast either before turning the corner, drink old spice, cast again, etc...

Hah, I sometimes invade and randomly drop my gear (for lulz) and bounce, but you can summon a blue phantom and they can drop their inventory and quit the game. My collection of neato weapons I've gathered or crafted:

+5 Hiltless, Makoto, Blind, Sticky Composite Bow
+5 Dragon Guillotine & Knight Sword
Northern Regalia, Morion Blade, Talisman of Beasts
Lots of white arrows & holy arrows.

It's mostly stuff that is good for lowish level play, which is where I stay (45-50).

macuser1of5 said:
Hah, I sometimes invade and randomly drop my gear (for lulz) and bounce, but you can summon a blue phantom and they can drop their inventory and quit the game. My collection of neato weapons I've gathered or crafted:

+5 Hiltless, Makoto, Blind, Sticky Composite Bow
+5 Dragon Guillotine & Knight Sword
Northern Regalia, Morion Blade, Talisman of Beasts
Lots of white arrows & holy arrows.

It's mostly stuff that is good for lowish level play, which is where I stay (45-50).
psn id so I can look for you tonight?

Grinchy

Banned
Smelly Tramp said:
Sometimes I just do it the wussy way and sprint through the reapers (not the first one, he's too easy). The third one you can just run right past and go down the steps. If you are too manly to sprint past enemies, though, more power to ya.

RedSwirl

What the fuck.

I JUST found the guys in the back who sell you spells and miracles. Why would they do that? Is it even worth it for a knight to learn very much magic?

RedSwirl said:
What the fuck.

I JUST found the guys in the back who sell you spells and miracles. Why would they do that? Is it even worth it for a knight to learn very much magic?
Your starting class means absolutely nothing in Demon's Souls, it simply dictates your starting stats. If you want to transition into a magic user you can. The choice is yours.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com

Select a build for yourself and follow it.

oracrest

Is there anyone with a level 1-10 character that has a spare Venerable Sage's set to give? Can trade lots of good stuff for it.

edit:

OR! any new players looking to get in on the ground up in a once in a lifetime opportunity to start the game with any weapon/item/armor in the game?*

PM me

*I have most items from a playthrough...

Lagspike_exe said:
bear in mind this only counts if you die in body form. unless you intend to get into invading/being invaded with other players there's really zero reason to ever be in body form (aside from when defeating a boss auto-resurrects you).

Top Bottom