• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

oracrest said:
Is there anyone with a level 1-10 character that has a spare Venerable Sage's set to give? Can trade lots of good stuff for it.

edit:

OR! any new players looking to get in on the ground up in a once in a lifetime opportunity to start the game with any weapon/item/armor in the game?*

PM me

*I have most items from a playthrough...

Anybody?

just got my ass kicked by maneater a couple times. im about to go to work but ill be on tonight around 9:30 eastern time. I could use some help. soul level 41

psn: haldalish

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
RedSwirl said:
What the fuck.

I JUST found the guys in the back who sell you spells and miracles. Why would they do that? Is it even worth it for a knight to learn very much magic?
You should explore every nook in cranny in the Nexus at the very least and every level you go to, exploration is thoroughly rewarded in this game.

oracrest

EasyMode said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure I do.

Same time as usual?

Sweet deal, yeah that works. Thanks dude!

You really are easymode!

bone_and_sinew said:
You should explore every nook in cranny in the Nexus at the very least and every level you go to, exploration is thoroughly rewarded in this game.

I found another area I had never been to before yesterday
the tier of dead monumentals below the one you normally go to, I had seen them lined up, but never knew you could walk there, and never knew about that ephemeral stone found in the Nexus.

fuzzyreactor said:
just got my ass kicked by maneater a couple times. im about to go to work but ill be on tonight around 9:30 eastern time. I could use some help. soul level 41

psn: haldalish

I could help. My Wolverine build is SL40.

PSN sonofmaneater

oracrest said:
Sweet deal, yeah that works. Thanks dude!

You really are easymode!

I found another area I had never been to before yesterday
the tier of dead monumentals below the one you normally go to, I had seen them lined up, but never knew you could walk there, and never knew about that ephemeral stone found in the Nexus.

Don't forget the New Moon grass inside the Nexus as well!

DJ_Lae

I really should finish off my playthrough before Dark Souls comes out - it's made even more depressing that the only thing I need to do to finish it is defeat the false king.

Which is weird, because I didn't really have a problem with any other boss and according to everything I've read he shouldn't be all that difficult. Yet I just get my ass handed to me and all of the tricks I've read don't work very well.

bone_and_sinew

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Don't forget the New Moon grass inside the Nexus as well!
The only reason why I ever saw that corpse and the one across was before suiciding, I decided to admire the architecture and noticed a faint glow.

LaB_NL

DJ_Lae said:
I really should finish off my playthrough before Dark Souls comes out - it's made even more depressing that the only thing I need to do to finish it is defeat the false king.

Which is weird, because I didn't really have a problem with any other boss and according to everything I've read he shouldn't be all that difficult. Yet I just get my ass handed to me and all of the tricks I've read don't work very well.

Did you try using warding? Since I used that spell False King hasn't gotten to me once in the next six/seven playthroughs.

bone_and_sinew

DJ_Lae said:

Summon blue phantoms, 1-4 is a high traffic area, there's always blue stones lying around.

Got invaded and killed for first time today :'
Soul arrow did too little damage boo, gotta play more tomorrow, loving it :D
What do I do with phalanx's soul? Keep it for now or use it for something right away? According to wiki it's only usable for Scraping Spear which doesn't seem to be that great or am I wrong?

P.S. That damn dog pack under bridge almost got me
P.P.S Soul Arrowed red dragon to death! ha

How do I invade? I always use the black stone, but it always says "Invasion failed".

Also, I'm having difficulties with armored spider in NG+. I can't get his health to drop below 50% and I've spent an insane amount of consumables. I'm uwing +3 Blessed Mirdal Hammer. Any tips? Should I switch to a magic weapon?

Lagspike_exe said:
How do I invade? I always use the black stone, but it always says "Invasion failed".

Also, I'm having difficulties with armored spider in NG+. I can't get his health to drop below 50% and I've spent an insane amount of consumables. I'm uwing +3 Blessed Mirdal Hammer. Any tips? Should I switch to a magic weapon?
Invade in world 4 for a better chance of success.

Lagspike_exe said:

Also there needs to be someone available to invade that is in your level range at the time you try to invade.

EDIT: I used Crescent Falchion +4 in my NG+ run on the armor spider. Went down pretty fast with the magic based weapon.

Lagspike_exe said:
What build are you using?

I started by getting 40 endurance for max Stamina, and also because it increases equip burden so I can roll in heavy armor. Then I brought vit/str/dex up a bit and now I'm working on luck because I am not getting many Large Stone drops from Phalanxs in 1-2. (with Large Sword of Searching I'm hoping I will get high quality drops at around ~25 luck.)

bone_and_sinew

Lagspike_exe said:

For Armor Spider in NG+, Brushwood Shield and Sticky White stuff on a vanilla weapon does the trick really fast.

This game is not good after a few beers.

I died not far into 4-2 with about 30,000+ souls. Went to work, came back, had a few beers, and carried on with my game. Got absolutely slaughtered.
Then after trying to see where the level went and dying loooooooads more, I must have lost about another 50,000+ souls.

8 more unique weapons, a few more pure stones (gonna be so time consuming), 4 more rings, 4 more spells + 2 more miracles and i'll have my platinum.

gonna be tough going, specially the stone farming. need pure sharpstone, bladestone, hardstone, suckerstone. mercurystone, marrowstone, moonlightstone and darkmoonstone! jesus christ!

Been on another playthrough for the last few hours, I'm on 4-2 again. Any uber-secrets or items that I should know about this time. I've always has trouble with this entire mission.

oracrest

TheExplodingHead said:
Been on another playthrough for the last few hours, I'm on 4-2 again. Any uber-secrets or items that I should know about this time. I've always has trouble with this entire mission.

What part gives you trouble? Thief ring really helps. For the outside ledge, it's safer to lure skeletons up to the lip down from the manta room, easy pickings.

EasyMode

Theif's Ring and soul remains are really effective in 4-2. Don't forget about the soul remains people. Reapers, shadow lurkers, skeletons... they all love soul remains! mmmm

Kimosabae

Banned
Have yet to really get into this game, as I've had limited time. I played again today for about, 40 minutes or so and I'm still at the Belatoria(?) castle.

I feel like I'm playing this game wrong?

First off, I didn't even know the game was multiplayer before I started reading this thread.

Second, the progression seems off. i.e. I'm reaching hint points that suggest things like: "Use a spell on the next enemy" and I don't even have an idea of how to use spells (I don't even think I have any) or "Use a projectile here" and I don't have any (that I know of).

On one hand I think it's hella cool that I can play an rpg and it has this level of mystique in this day and age of the internet. On the other hand, I'm an adult now, and my time is limited.

Do I need to be playing this game with others or something?

*edit*

As I was typing this, I realized I could always try reading the manual :3

lawl!

Old-school!

EasyMode said:
Theif's Ring and soul remains are really effective in 4-2. Don't forget about the soul remains people. Reapers, shadow lurkers, skeletons... they all love soul remains! mmmm
They seem to get me every time...

EasyMode

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
They seem to get me every time...
The beam shooting ones? If you throw a soul remains directly at one it will switch to its melee attack or shoot at the wrong spot, allowing you to get in close or run by it. If you have a dark silver shield you can just block it too.

P.S.: Did you find out if you have that pure bladestone? I still got the pure darkmoon, moonlight and faintstones.

To give you guys an update on how I am doing on the game. I beat the Dragon God but after kept getting my ass whopped so I quit. Yes, I will give the game another try but it just one of those games where If I keep playing I'm going to pop a blood vessel. Started playing Star Ocean

EasyMode said:
The beam shooting ones? If you throw a soul remains directly at one it will switch to its melee attack or shoot at the wrong spot, allowing you to get in close or run by it. If you have a dark silver shield you can just block it too.

P.S.: Did you find out if you have that pure bladestone? I still got the pure darkmoon, moonlight and faintstones.

Yeah I checked and don't have one... really sorry about that I thought I had one.

The one that gets me is on the one that spawns by/after the second reaper is killed. It always seems to get a backstab on me even though I look for it when I hear the laughing.

Khal_B

Hey guys, I need some assistance please. I just leveled up for the first time and increased my max HP. So I went back to Boletaria Castle and a dragon killed me, but when I died I lost not only all of my souls but my max HP went back down to what it was.

I tried going back to the Siren to increase it again, but it's not going up. So now I'm back to being one shotted by enemies and I don't know why?

Khal_B

Nolimit_SS said:
Are you in soul form?

No, I'm not. I just died and respawned as usual, but this time my vitality was back to what it was before when I first started off. Even when I went to increase it again, it's still staying where it is...

Khal_B said:
No, I'm not. I just died and respawned as usual, but this time my vitality was back to what it was before when I first started off. Even when I went to increase it again, it's still staying where it is...
Wait so your Vitality stat itself or your health bar? If you beat a boss you get your body back and then if you die in Body form you go Soul Form... no footsteps more glowwy and the like. If its your health bar then its because you are in soul form, any upgrades to vitality will take effect but you will still have only half your total hp because you are in soul form.

Edit: If its your vitality stat that will not raise when you level up then I'd say start over the file might be bad somehow.

Khal_B

Thanks for the help guys. I think I am in Soul form but I didn't realize it. I didn't realize that I'd revert back to soul form whenever I died. Going to check out those links now.

CatPee

Khal_B said:
Hey guys, I need some assistance please. I just leveled up for the first time and increased my max HP. So I went back to Boletaria Castle and a dragon killed me, but when I died I lost not only all of my souls but my max HP went back down to what it was.

I tried going back to the Siren to increase it again, but it's not going up. So now I'm back to being one shotted by enemies and I don't know why?

You leveled up, meaning you killed Phalanx (the first boss). Defeating a boss Demon revives you and gives your body back along with your full health bar. Dying turns you into Soul Form and halves your health bar. Use the Cling Ring to get to about 3/4ths while in Soul Form or find another way to regain your body.

As the others have said, read the manual. It's a goldmine for information.

oracrest

Khal_B said:

Don't read too much. A lot of the fun is the learning. Just when your really stuck. There are two really helpful items hidden within the first area. Both are easy to pass by going through the level.

LaB_NL

buhdeh said:
Going for the platinum.

Just need to farm bladestones, faintstones, greystones, darkmoonstones, and moonlightstones...

Same. Been farming for a pure bladestone for three hours yesterday...no luck.

Payback for the first time I found one within 15 minutes I guess...

Khal_B said:
Will do, it's been a while since I've read a videogame manual!

As oracrest says: don't read too much. You can basically do it all on your own and a lot of fun is found through exploration (and fear).

bone_and_sinew

MiniBossBattle said:
ManEaters, I hate them.
Fire weapons do wonders against them. I beat them the bitch way (kill one with arrows behind the fog, use the bonfire as a shield between me and the second to shoot it, took forever) my first two playthroughs but on NG++ I decided to sack up and melee both of them at once. I used Dragon Claymore +5 to successfully do the deed.

bone_and_sinew said:
Fire weapons do wonders against them. I beat them the bitch way (kill one with arrows behind the fog, use the bonfire as a shield between me and the second to shoot it, took forever) my first two playthroughs but on NG++ I decided to sack up and melee both of them at once. I used Dragon Claymore +5 to successfully do the deed.
A brass pair indeed.

oracrest

bone_and_sinew said:

Melee is the way to go! ;)

I love fighting these guys now, so creepy!

redhot_

Lagspike_exe said:
I haven't put a single point dexterity.

Well there is that trick to stand where he can't hit you. Also use that Flame Shield and ring, Id imagine you have those items already there good for melee,

Top Bottom