• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

chunk3rvd

Finally got my Pure Bladestone and Darkmoonstone in world 4 and I already have a bunch of shards/chunks for each so I can make any weapon of these types that I choose. Any recommendations?

If it helps my build is low strength, medium dexterity, high magic/faith. If it's going to be a long battle I'm more likely to tackle stuff from a distance than get in close although I do use my Moon Winged Spear on basic stuff

So in my current run I just cleared 4-2, Thanks easymode for the tip, Old Hero is down. Now the real question... I have Hiltless and Motoko is there any reason to go to PBWT to take out BP Satsuki? Or just go a step above PBWT to get the primeval demon? I avoided BP Satsuki in all other play throughs I have done.

Orayn

YoungHav said:
Are the servers still up? If not, when are they going to be taken down?
They are up, and they'll be up until October, at the very least. I can see another extension happening.

Okay, so I finally beat the game, using a Meat Cleaver build, pure melee

I was wondering if you guys could suggest another cool build, because I'm really itching to start a new character.

I really like the katanas in the game, but I'm also kind of interested in the magic. But basically any suggestions that play a little different from the meat cleaver build would be appreciated...

Reilly

chunk3rvd said:
Finally got my Pure Bladestone and Darkmoonstone in world 4 and I already have a bunch of shards/chunks for each so I can make any weapon of these types that I choose. Any recommendations?

If it helps my build is low strength, medium dexterity, high magic/faith. If it's going to be a long battle I'm more likely to tackle stuff from a distance than get in close although I do use my Moon Winged Spear on basic stuff

+5 Sharp Uchi

i love how difficult the game is but i do think its bullshit how the crystal lizards have a counter. they should be there everytime.

even if you're excellent at the game and manage to kill one every time one appears theres no guaranteeing you're gonna get the pure stones that you want.

lame.

Reilly

Smelly Tramp said:
i love how difficult the game is but i do think its bullshit how the crystal lizards have a counter. they should be there everytime.

even if you're excellent at the game and manage to kill one every time one appears theres no guaranteeing you're gonna get the pure stones that you want.

lame.

If you kill the boss in each level the counter resets. :)

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So in my current run I just cleared 4-2, Thanks easymode for the tip, Old Hero is down. Now the real question... I have Hiltless and Motoko is there any reason to go to PBWT to take out BP Satsuki? Or just go a step above PBWT to get the primeval demon? I avoided BP Satsuki in all other play throughs I have done.

You can fight him to fight him. He has a unique strategy. Also, you'll get closer to white by getting him and primeval demon together.

oracrest said:
You can fight him to fight him. He has a unique strategy. Also, you'll get closer to white by getting him and primeval demon together.
Thats true I forgot about killing the BP will up your Character Tendency too... Well then I'll go drop my world tendency to PBWT take out BP Satsuki and Primeval Demon then go stormruler the archdemon. Got my plans for tonight. Thanks again Oracrest!

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Thats true I forgot about killing the BP will up your Character Tendency too... Well then I'll go drop my world tendency to PBWT take out BP Satsuki and Primeval Demon then go stormruler the archdemon. Got my plans for tonight. Thanks again Oracrest!

If you haven't started, be sure to go and repait your gear before you do it, I have been stuck in a world trying to do tendency, and "weapon Broke" comes up :/

I had to finish with some other weapon I happened to pick up in the level.

Oh yeah I will for sure repair all my gear before doing any tendancy stuff, although I might wait to get my sticky composite bow to +5 instead of +3.

Wow, the one time I arrange a midnight meetup in 5-1 of all places I am summoned seven times by random people. Normally I sit there for 30+ minutes and nothing haha.

LaB_NL said:
Does LUCK influence the droprate for a pure bladestone?
From what I've heard it has no discernable effect, but pure black tendency in tandem with the sword of searching seems to do the trick (sometimes).

I think I might do a dual-wielding needle of agony build for lulz. Trying to think of annoying yet amusing invasion builds to create heh. Maybe dual Blind?

edit: I think a mercury shotel and blind would be an amusing mix.

LaB_NL

macuser1of5 said:
From what I've heard it has no discernable effect, but pure black tendency in tandem with the sword of searching seems to do the trick (sometimes).

Somehow I vaguely remember something about LUCK at 16 being a help...

And I totaly forgot about the SoS. I'll craft that one tonight. Thanks.

Could be, I just remember people saying dumping 90+ points in luck didn't do anything, at least for that particular item. The SoS seems like a better and less permanent option.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sir Oracrest (or anyone else), I'm planning on creating a new character and I'm finally looking to go for a heavy type play. I want big fat armor with big fat two handed weapons...

I'm a grand master when it comes to agility builds but I really have no clue what my priority should be like for this heavy character. Could you do some kind of prioritize-list?

Thank you!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
macuser1of5 said:
Could be, I just remember people saying dumping 90+ points in luck didn't do anything, at least for that particular item. The SoS seems like a better and less permanent option.

It only affects drop rate, but that doesn't mean that it's not slightly easier to get a pure, since any "ore" type item dropped can potentially be one. It just doesn't affect the actual rare drop ratio. Dumping too much into luck won't affect much though, as you say.

LaB_NL said:

It depends which black skeleton you're farming. If it's the black phantom one then no as it already has a 100% item drop rate. If it's the hidden passage then yeah, it should.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshichan said:
Sir Oracrest (or anyone else), I'm planning on creating a new character and I'm finally looking to go for a heavy type play. I want big fat armor with big fat two handed weapons...

I'm a grand master when it comes to agility builds but I really have no clue what my priority should be like for this heavy character. Could you do some kind of prioritize-list?

Thank you!

Anyone :(?

Crushing Great Axe and a cracked Talisman with Cursed Weapon. Will one hit pretty much every opponent you will come across. Drop as much VIT, END, and STR in there as you can (mostly the last two). I've used the Ring of Magical Nature to boost my slots so I don't have to put so much into INT at the lower levels.

Alternatively, get yourself at one end of the character tendency spectrum and use Northern Regalia, boosting VIT and END to the extreme. With Second Chance you will probably never die, or at least not die easily. This will also let you do the 'big fat armor' build well, since END will be high even at a low level.

Svartnatt

LaB_NL said:

I can't speak for anyone else's experiences so take this with a grain of salt.

Either LUCK has absolutely ZERO effect on pure bladestone drop rates, or I (and not my character) am one of the luckiest players on the planet. Or maybe both!

My pure bladestone dropped from the 4-2 hidden passage black skeleton after farming for only 90 minutes. At the time my Temple Knight was Soul Level 90, and I had not invested a single point into LUCK, which meant my LUCK stat was 7.

Take that for what you will, but my advice is to forget about upgrading LUCK and stick with farming that 4-2 black skeleton and that one only.

Vitten

Svartnatt said:

Either LUCK has absolutely ZERO effect on pure bladestone drop rates, or I (and not my character) am one of the luckiest players on the planet. Or maybe both!

My pure bladestone dropped from the 4-2 hidden passage black skeleton after farming for only 90 minutes. At the time my Temple Knight was Soul Level 90, and I had not invested a single point into LUCK, which meant my LUCK stat was 7.

Take that for what you will, but my advice is to forget about upgrading LUCK and stick with farming that 4-2 black skeleton and that one only.

Luck only infuences the frequency of drops, not the quality. Since the black skeleton already has a 100% drop rate luck has no effect on getting your pure Bladestone.
I would advise anyone to farm the hidden passage black skeleton instead of the black phantom ones. I've platted the game several times and never had to farm this guy for much longer than an hour to get my pure.

oracrest

Yoshichan said:

Thank you!

Well, knight starts off with the sweet Fluted set. Are you saying you are specifically looking to molasses roll through this time?

I actually haven't gotten into the bigger two handed weapons, but I would probably start with the Bastard Sword you get in 1-1, and experiment with different ones I get along the way. Also, a spear works wonders as a secondary weapon, when you need some more distance.

I swear the slow roll has a slightly longer invulnerability duration, take a look and tell me what you think...

I also wonder if you can dual wield 2 Bramds.

Can anyone explain to me how world tendency works differently online and offline? From what I've gathered online it resets back to neutral when you quit and load the game again while offline it stays the same? The reason I wanna know is because I'm gonna do some specific world jumping and need worlds to stay one way hmm.

Following this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/56739 , or well just the zone order and stuff like that.
Might have to start playing offline I guess

LaB_NL

Svartnatt said:

My first drop (NA) took me exactly two runs in the usual place, so about 15 minutes. This time I have been farming for about....20 hours already?

I guess it all boils down to luck, not LUCK.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Nolimit_SS said:
Can anyone explain to me how world tendency works differently online and offline? From what I've gathered online it resets back to neutral when you quit and load the game again while offline it stays the same? The reason I wanna know is because I'm gonna do some specific world jumping and need worlds to stay one way hmm.

Following this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/954345-demons-souls/faqs/56739 , or well just the zone order and stuff like that.
Might have to start playing offline I guess
If you're going to manipulate world tendency, do so offline. Otherwise, online world tendency is calculated by the server median and each time you go the nexus online it'll be the server median. Any "work" you do in trying to control world tendency offline is lost as soon as you go online. If you log in and see neutral world tendency across all worlds, simulataneously, it's usually a glitch since you didn't log onto the server or got disconnected but the game thinks you did.

I recommended you go pure black first and try to kill the black phantom named npcs and primodial demons in one without going back to the Nexus. Doing so usually swings world tendency back to or very close to pure white.

If you want to see the very specific numerical values as to how world tendency works and how deaths affect it, go here:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

oracrest

Offline is completely controlled by your actions.

Online has a "server average" that will influence your tendency when you go to the Nexus. It seems to be generally neutral to high neutral. From the start of a game, logging in a few times will give you some free bumps from the server, and then go offline for the rest. I find that world 5 is hard to get pwwt when only doing offline.

Also, it's only when in the nexus, so if you start in a level online, and then turn it off, the server doesn't affect your tendency.

edit - and I should add that server average only influences you once per login, no matter how many times you go to the Nexus in that play session.

EasyMode

I noticed recently that you can play offline and still be signed into PSN. You just have to be signed out of PSN when you start or load your game in offline mode, then you can log into PSN through the XMB and the game will stay in offline mode until you quit.

crpav

Dang, by accident I selected "No" to the monumental's question after beating Phalanx. I now found out I can't get the friend's ring this play through. I know I can get it in NG+ but I for some reason want to start over.

oracrest

crpav said:
Dang, by accident I selected "No" to the monumental's question after beating Phalanx. I now found out I can't get the friend's ring this play through. I know I can get it in NG+ but I for some reason want to start over.

Not worth it...

Just play through. You may end up not getting pure white character tendency anyways, but at least in NG+ you can stack all that you've done before. You probably won't get pure white until near the end of the game anyways, so it's all the same in the end.

Went PBWT in 4 and took out Satsuki, Primeval Demon, and the Storm King all in one go last night.

Oracrest, you were right all the other named BPs I have fought haven't felt as close to a real invader as Satsuki...

Tonight I will be dropping 2 to PBWT. Scirvir I am looking at you!

Edit: This Dex run is by far the funnest I have had with the game. Knowing that if I am not careful even a dregeling can kill me in one hit but being able to take out flamelurker in 5 arrows... oh the pleasure!

NEOPARADIGM said:
Honestly, there's nothing less enjoyable to watch than a speed run. All I see is "this game is actually nothing, just run until you get to the boss."
I have been watching this and yeah... while it is an impressive feat there is nothing that shows me its fun or enjoyable.

Edit: Does Hyper Mode work for magic builds? For some reason I was under the impression that it was only for melee.

got my all spells and all miracles trophies today, need 2 more unique weapons, bp selen vinlands, and bp scirvir. got the wt to pure black in 5-2, tried to take on selen and got my ass handed to me.

i've tried about 10 times with no luck, the bitch just has phenomenal agility in a swamp of shit. even whipped out my dbs to spam r2 knockdown attack, it works until shes down to about 1/3 of her health and then she runs off, heals, comes back and destroys me.

think im gonna have nightmares about her tonight.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Edit: Does Hyper Mode work for magic builds? For some reason I was under the impression that it was only for melee.
Any attack will be boosted, which is why it is so potent with arrows*. I remember once, nearly a year ago, killing two black phantoms from under the first 4.1 reaper's area with a 1500 damage hit from God's Wrath. :D

*In fact, even if you lose hyper mode while the arrow is in flight, damage is calculated when it is shot, so you can wait until the veeerrry last second to one hit an approaching attacker and still come out OK.

Pulling Graves tonight at work and its dead, so I am watching your SL1 run Oracrest. Holy shit man, that is all sorts of crazy ass awesome, pure awesome.

oracrest

NEOPARADIGM said:
Honestly, there's nothing less enjoyable to watch than a speed run. All I see is "this game is actually nothing, just run until you get to the boss."

But this guy does some amazing shit that I had never seen anyone else do, rolling through the giant ball, and the 3-1 arrow onslaught, as well as the 4-2 second reaper shortcut. Oh, and the 4-1 super shortcut atop the castle wall.

The impressive thing to me is that most speedruns are totally linear, but you really have to know the most effecient boss order to get the best time in this game...

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Pulling Graves tonight at work and its dead, so I am watching your SL1 run Oracrest. Holy shit man, that is all sorts of crazy ass awesome, pure awesome.

Thanks! Good to know people are watching. I was looking at my video list the other day, and how most are 30-60 minutes, and thinking, who the hell would sit down that long to watch through these?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:

Kill Satsuki! Just be ready for him.

Man he just flat out bum rushes you. I fought him recently trying to plat the game and was most definitely not expecting him to come at me right off the bat.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
robotzombie said:
Okay, so I finally beat the game, using a Meat Cleaver build, pure melee

I was wondering if you guys could suggest another cool build, because I'm really itching to start a new character.

I really like the katanas in the game, but I'm also kind of interested in the magic. But basically any suggestions that play a little different from the meat cleaver build would be appreciated...

I'd suggest a Spellsword. You can look up the build on the wiki. I'm trying to plat the game right now with one and it's a lot of fun. I use Homing Soul Arrow and a +5 Moon Uchigatana, and I can do some great damage. You get to use all the magic spells and you're also a very capable melee fighter. It's also challenging since you die fairly easily.

Best part is invaders do not expect you to bust out homing soul arrow and then bum rush them with a katana!

oracrest

Fellow Demon's Souls gurus! I need some help with something.

I am trying to find all the content that relates to this game, and if anyone knows any, please send it my way!

For example, the Japanese trailer has some exclusive content, such as a unique pre-rendered scene of Rydell in his cell, and a final intro cinematic scene not shown in the game's intro, in addition to some other minor clips.

I have a copy of the NA strategy guide, the mini art book, and a few excerpts from Atlus' NA Demon's Souls character descriptions. (Sage Freke has some new info in his description there...)

I am basically looking for any further info available, especially things different/new across region versions of the game, and writing found in game supplementals. I know some of you have played the different versions a lot. I have only played NA version.

Thanks a million!

RIK

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Does Hyper Mode work for magic builds? For some reason I was under the impression that it was only for melee.

Hyper mode is extremely potent with magic, especially when using powerful spells like homing soul arrow, fireball or firestorm.
In combination with magic boosting gear like monk's head collar, ring of maical sharpness and insanity catalyst it is possible to almost oneshot some bosses. Need high magic stat too though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
But if a magician gets hit by a combo, especially with a weapon that causes magic damage, they're pretty much done since mage builds don't have a lot of hp and no magic defense.

Hypermode with a magician is the ultimate high risk/reward.

Top Bottom