• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

gwarm01

Orayn said:
They are up, and they'll be up until October, at the very least. I can see another extension happening.

Note to self - finish this game ASAP.

I assume you can still play it when the servers go down, right? Hopefully it won't try to connect to a dead server for ten minutes before it lets you play.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yes, it only takes like 5 seconds to connect and if it doesn't connect a prompt says something like "unable to find server, now playing offline mode, press ok" and that's it. You can do everything in the game offline, the only thing you'll be missing is the Monk's Head Wrap as it's only obtainable by a special event online. The item itself is meaningless unless you're a magic user.

I really recommend playing it online though, the experience is far more memorable and unique.

Bollocks

Ok GAF, so I need a little bit of advise here:
It's still a month before any new games come out so I've decided to give the RPG genre another chance, I'm torn between
-White Knight Chronicles 2
-Demon Souls

I've only played some FF on PSX which I found utterly boring, Jeanne d'Arc on PSP which I enjoyed surprisingly because it's turn based and Monster Hunter on PSP which I enjoyed the most.

So far I've only watched some Youtube footage and both seem appealing but the difficulty of Demon Souls puts me of slightly but despite that I like the coop and it seems easier to manage because you have only 1 character to care about?!
So which one would be the better choice to dip into the RPG genre?

chris-013

I just killed flamelurker... what a fight I think it lasted 15-20 min and melee only !
I finished 2-3 too and picked the dragon sword, it's too heavy.

Now, I'm back to 1-1, 1-2 farming herbs with my new Meat Cleaver. A bit too powerful with the knockdown/stun.

I think dark souls will be harder with limited healing items.

chris-013

Bollocks said:
It's still a month before any new games come out so I've decided to give the RPG genre another chance, I'm torn between
-Demon Souls

I've only played some FF on PSX which I found utterly boring, Jeanne d'Arc on PSP which I enjoyed surprisingly because it's turn based and Monster Hunter on PSP which I enjoyed the most.

So far I've only watched some Youtube footage and both seem appealing but the difficulty of Demon Souls puts me of slightly but despite that I like the coop and it seems easier to manage because you have only 1 character to care about?!

If you like and are good at action-game like devil may cry, ninga gaiden, bayonneta, ect... I don't think Demon's Soul is very hard.

I never played WKC2 but I heard it's average.

oracrest

oracrest said:
Fellow Demon's Souls gurus! I need some help with something.

I am trying to find all the content that relates to this game, and if anyone knows any, please send it my way!

For example, the Japanese trailer has some exclusive content, such as a unique pre-rendered scene of Rydell in his cell, and a final intro cinematic scene not shown in the game's intro, in addition to some other minor clips.

I have a copy of the NA strategy guide, the mini art book, and a few excerpts from Atlus' NA Demon's Souls character descriptions. (Sage Freke has some new info in his description there...)

I am basically looking for any further info available, especially things different/new across region versions of the game, and writing found in game supplementals. I know some of you have played the different versions a lot. I have only played NA version.

Thanks a million!

Quoting for the new page.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Bollocks said:
-Demon Souls

If you like Monster Hunter, you will like Demon's Souls (speaking from experience). They both have a difficulty barrier and are rewarding in similar ways. You'll probably think Demon's Souls combat is simple compared to Monster Hunter.

Orayn

Bollocks said:
-Demon Souls

Demon's Souls isn't a mainstream example of any genre, really. It's a very unique hybrid of action-adventure and action-RPG. The combat is comparable to Monster Hunter or The Legend of Zelda, but there's also very flexible character customization and min/maxing. In terms of difficulty, it's kind of like a Roguelike in that it tries to be fair, but doesn't pull any punches and punishes you for being impatient or inattentive. The story is pretty minimalistic, the atmosphere is great, and the overall feel of the game is extremely cohesive. It's a one-of-a-kind game that's definitely worth the time and money.

BadData

I just found out the hard way that if you drop an item, it doesn't stay in the level if you leave and come back... Hopefully I can find another great axe somewhere? (I was overburdened, and just wanted to know what it was.)

oracrest

Bollocks said:
-Demon Souls

....Monster Hunter on PSP which I enjoyed the most.

Demon's Souls, without question.

If you enjoyed Monster Hunter, the general fighting mechanic is similar, and there is an invulnerability roll just like MH.

Also, it's unknown how much longer the servers will be up, and you should really experience the unique take on online that they do.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
BadData said:
I just found out the hard way that if you drop an item, it doesn't stay in the level if you leave and come back... Hopefully I can find another great axe somewhere? (I was overburdened, and just wanted to know what it was.)

Probably not going to find another without trying really hard (farming). Guess you'll have to wait until NG+ ;)

Ra1den

Anybody played on the US servers lately? I'm curious if the servers are still relatively populated or not. I can't check with my game since my PS3 has old firmware.

bone_and_sinew

I haven't been on in about a month since I'm YLOD'd but the population was great when I played. If anything it seems to grow each month since I got the game in December due to Dark Souls hype.

bone_and_sinew said:
I haven't been on in about a month since I'm YLOD'd but the population was great when I played. If anything it seems to grow each month since I got the game in December due to Dark Souls hype.
I play mostly in the 45-60 range (bad and good), and I've noticed the population pick up a bit in recent months. So it's still alive. Not sure about higher levels past the 140s.

bone_and_sinew

My Faith build was in the 70 range or so, I forget it's actual level but yeah, I'd get invaded in places where invasions aren't common like 1-2, 5-1, 3-1, 3-2 (repeatedly) and most of the invaders were legit newbies with crap armor who fought terribly and few trophies on their profile. My 120ish mage would get invaded a lot as well and I had no problem invading either. I never had any trouble getting summoned except for 5-1 and the Nexus was filled with bloodstains as always at all times.

bone_and_sinew

I had a pretty epic duel in 5-1 once, it lasted like an hour since we both had absurd amount of grass and old spice, the dude was definitely a vet. The entire battle was nothing but map control and zoning, it felt like I was playing Street Fighter. He'd try to zone me with firespray to set up soul ray and I'd use my white arrows to make him pop out of hiding and back off the ladders so I could try to get on even ground to combo him (he was a mage, I a melee).

oracrest

Ra1den said:
Anybody played on the US servers lately? I'm curious if the servers are still relatively populated or not. I can't check with my game since my PS3 has old firmware.

Servers are quite active, as busy as I remember it being when it first came out

Hah cool... the only notable time I was invaded in 5 was in 5.2 and the invader died in the swamp chasing me down. I guess he thought it wouldn't work on him lol.

bone_and_sinew

macuser1of5 said:
Hah cool... the only notable time I was invaded in 5 was in 5.2 and the invader died in the swamp chasing me down. I guess he thought it wouldn't work on him lol.
Whoa, I never the poison swamp also affected invaders. I mean I'd be fine since I always got a fuckload of Darkmoon grass on me but if I ever invaded 5-2 I'd use a strictly stealth approach but being poisoned and stopping to grass would constantly give away my position.

Zertez

While this game can have a steep learning curve and many give up early on, it will give you some of the most rewarding moments you have experienced in gaming. When you complete a stage, drop a special boss, knock down an invader, farm a rare stone, it provides a sense of accomplishment. Sadly this is becoming rarer and rarer in games these days, so it is refreshing to see a game with a challenging but fair risk vs reward system and you have to take time to learn how to play the game, rather than just using brute force through the majority of the levels.

Listening to all the stories of people killing a certain boss for the first time, driving an invader away or finally getting a rare stone to drop, brings back memories from when I did it.

Dex run update (because I feel the need to update everyone in the thread about my current play thorugh of the game)...

2, 3, and 4 are done PWWT and PBWT events done in those as well. Working on 5 now, 5-1 is done.

Also I finally got a pure darkmoonstone from the very last crystal lizard on the counter in the storm kings area, litterally the last one there this game. Still working on the pure moonstone, pure suckerstone, pure marrowstone, and pure mercurystone. I know the suckerstone, marrowstone, and mercurystone are all treasures I can get in 5-3 plague swamp, so the only one I am kinda worried about missing is the moonstone. But seeing as how this is my plat run I'll get it in NG+ or NG++ if I need to.

bone_and_sinew said:
Whoa, I never the poison swamp also affected invaders. I mean I'd be fine since I always got a fuckload of Darkmoon grass on me but if I ever invaded 5-2 I'd use a strictly stealth approach but being poisoned and stopping to grass would constantly give away my position.
Yep, that's what ruined him... He was completely invisible and running me down. I just kept pinging him with arrows when he got close enough and the poor guy succumbed to the swamp :D It's also why I never bothered to invade in that level, it's not exactly fun for anyone.

Xeno how are those white arrows treating ya? XD

ok so i was farming the dual skeleton in the hidden passage in 4-2 for about 2 hours, no pure bladestone. went to 3-3, managed to get a pure moonstone right away, however went to 4-3 and 4-2 killed all the crystal lizards, EVERY SINGLE TIME, however no darkmoonstone drops.

so i have 2 more trophies to go, can anyone help me online with a trade, need 1 pure bladestone and 1 pure darkmoonstone. i have every single item and weapon in the game besides these 2 items (and the monks head collar thing). will trade you ANYTHING i'm desperate to platinum this game.

i'm on the eu server, and soul level is around abous sl120 atm i think.

Ra1den said:

They're really busy for me. I see white phantoms everywhere, loads of messages, loads of bloodstains. Then again, I'm on my first playthrough, so maybe I don't know anything about this really. At the very least, it's a lot more busy this month than it was for me a few months back.

Also, played some 1-4 today, beat the Blue Dragon. I must say that it's one of the most epic experiences I've played this gen, fighting the Rune Sword BP on the staircase with Biorr battling the dragon outside, the flames rattling my viewpoint. Simply brilliant. I love this game.

Why must 5-2 suck so bad? I see people complaining about 1-3 and 5-2 all the time. Personally I LOVE 1-3 it is a fantastic level, but 5-2 ... Stupid poison swamp of no running and what seems like only 4-5 places to stand that aren't in the actual swamp water either. Even the plauge babies in 5-3 don't piss me off as bad as 5-2. I guess I'll man up and go back in it after work, just have to voice my frustration.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Why must 5-2 suck so bad? I see people complaining about 1-3 and 5-2 all the time. Personally I LOVE 1-3 it is a fantastic level, but 5-2 ... Stupid poison swamp of no running and what seems like only 4-5 places to stand that aren't in the actual swamp water either. Even the plauge babies in 5-3 don't piss me off as bad as 5-2. I guess I'll man up and go back in it after work, just have to voice my frustration.

It's one of my favorite levels in the game. Granted the swamp poisoning you gets tedious, but the mood of this level, it's so eerie.

EasyMode

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Whoa... there's people that don't like 1-3? If you enjoy the combat in Demon's Souls how can you not love this stage?

Personally, I like 5-2. I mean, I don't like fighting in the swamp, but it's a memorable and atmospheric level. Black leather armor and ring of poison resistance buys you some time from the poison. You could also equip a bunch of regen items and just ignore the poison.

Proposed Law said:
It's one of my favorite levels in the game. Granted the swamp poisoning you gets tedious, but the mood of this level, it's so eerie.
Yeah, this.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess I've played in faith build too long and I've forgotten what it's like to play 5-2 without regenerating health. I just beat it again last week to get the demon souls I needed from world 5. I still like it a lot though.

I like world 5 more than world 3 at this point.

bone_and_sinew

Yes, being a Faith build in the swamp is awesome :)

Adjudicator's Shield +5 and Blessed whatever +5 completely cancels out the poison hp drain.

EasyMode

bone_and_sinew said:
Yes, being a Faith build in the swamp is awesome :)

Adjudicator's Shield +5 and Blessed whatever +5 completely cancels out the poison hp drain.
I brought this to fight BP Selen the other day, and it cancelled out the poison all by itself :)

Edit: On a side note, I'm really glad she uses a miracle to try to heal herself, and not grass like Satsuki. That would be the most frustrating thing ever.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I do have to admit the mood is great.

I get what your saying though, very frustrating level. I use to think that the Mind Flayers from the Tower of Latria were the scariest enemy in the game, but fuck me, the Giant Depraved ones are the worst.

I guess its just me trying to maintain Hypermode in the swamp (for Giant Depraved Ones) and not having a good time with it. I guess 2-3 shots instead of having to manage poison is okay. I am currently using the full assasin gear so Poison resistance ring and Adjudicator shield here I come...

Grinchy

Banned
For the giant depraved ones, as long as you are on ground and have somewhere you can roll, they shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just roll right when their swing is coming through and even if you wouldn't have avoided the strike in real life, it felt like it always left me untouched if I rolled at the right time. You can even roll into the swings iirc.

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I guess its just me trying to maintain Hypermode in the swamp (for Giant Depraved Ones) and not having a good time with it. I guess 2-3 shots instead of having to manage poison is okay. I am currently using the full assasin gear so Poison resistance ring and Adjudicator shield here I come...
For hypermode, I just eat grass to dip in and out of the effect, and eat a royal lotus when I reach dry ground.

bone_and_sinew

I've actually found a pretty good way to annihilate Giant Depraved as long as they're in an idle position ie not running. I get as closely as possible to them when they're winding up a swing - to where the character models are touching - lock on and do a fast circle to their left (non-club hand). The arc of their swing is so wide that I end up directly behind them when I do the fast circle and their club is hitting the ground. With a potent fire weapon or spell a OHKO is possible.

On 5-1 now, first time I've had to look at a guide playing as a non-magic spammer. Thief Ring helps out a ton though, I never really used it on my first playthroughs. Now that this will be my fourth playthrough, I'm certain I'll never be able to do a no death run...at least not without NG+.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LOL at people playing US version and saying it's a good version.

Online community fucking sucks major ass. ESPECIALLY in 3-3 (old monk boss). Sweet mother of God, disconnections left and right, during battles, before battles, DURING LOADING SCREENS, Everything is just wrong with the online system in US.

I expected more, I'm heading back to either Asia or EU again.

Just finished the game for my first time. Without question DS is one of my favorite games this generation. Thanks to everyone who helped me through the game and helped answer all my Noob questions. On to new game +!

Yoshichan said:
LOL at people playing US version and saying it's a good version.

Online community fucking sucks major ass. ESPECIALLY in 3-3 (old monk boss). Sweet mother of God, disconnections left and right, during battles, before battles, DURING LOADING SCREENS, Everything is just wrong with the online system in US.

I expected more, I'm heading back to either Asia or EU again.
I've never had this in 3-3.

bone_and_sinew

He has some points. I've had a ton of disconnects in 3-3 when I get to the boss room or when I'm winning a fight. I figured it was people trolling who are trying to keep you stuck in the boss room and cowards who didn't want to die.

Also the fact that Anti-Magic field is uncastable online because of the lag it creates speaks as well.

Does anyone have any faintstone shards that they want to trade? I need 13 more for my mirdan hammer and I've ran out of respawns for the crystal lizard in 5-1. I'm Soul level 64 and have the Atlus/NA version. I've got a lot of ore types that I don't need if you want something in return.

EasyMode

electroshockwave said:
Does anyone have any faintstone shards that they want to trade? I need 13 more for my mirdan hammer and I've ran out of respawns for the crystal lizard in 5-1. I'm Soul level 64 and have the Atlus/NA version. I've got a lot of ore types that I don't need if you want something in return/
I don't have a character in that range, but the merchant lady in 5-2 sells them for 10,000 souls a shard :/

LeCapitan

Neo Member
electroshockwave said:
I know but I was hoping to avoid that. 130,000 souls is a lot on New Game.

You can kill the first reaper and then the black skeleton
on the hidden path where you find the white bow
in 4-2 for around 12000 souls if you've got the ring of avarice. Should only take you 20 minutes to get 130000.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just started playing again from scratch 2 days ago... just platinumed it. Definitely as good as it's always been... pity about US though.

Top Bottom