• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Khal_B

Hey guys, finally getting the hang of the game and I think I understand the mechanics a bit more. I've levelled up my stats a bit, but before I proceed further I'm trying to decide between either the Claymore or the Uchigatana for my weapon of choice.

Which of the two is the better all round weapon?

Khal_B said:
Hey guys, finally getting the hang of the game and I think I understand the mechanics a bit more. I've levelled up my stats a bit, but before I proceed further I'm trying to decide between either the Claymore or the Uchigatana for my weapon of choice.

Which of the two is the better all round weapon?
They are veeery different weapons with very different build requirements (one STR, one DEX). Both are good in their own way.

Claymore - Slow, heavy damage, very long range swipes (the infamous 'phantom' range). Will deplete stamina/stagger enemies easily.

Uchi - Brutal running/jump back lunge, very fast strikes, will ping feebly off most heavy shields.

While I like heavy weapons, I overall prefer the Uchi. The Claymore and other heavy swords can be devastating in the right hands but they have a bit of a steeper learning curve. My recs are based both on PVE and PVP (invaders), so take that into consideration.

I will sound like a broken record about this point but IME the heavy/slowish weapons are best used without lock-on, you can leverage the near 180 swings to a greater advantage this way. For instance, someone runs by you and rolls, you swing and miss. Since you are not locked on you can immediate hit back+attack during the end of the first swing to basically cancel the move out and immediately flip around with another swing animation. I catch a lot of people this way. Try it out.

For both weapons, try delaying combos/moves between swings/etc. For instance, jump back, wait until you just start to stand back up fully, and hit attack. Your move will be the lunge move rather than the standard attack. Again, you can catch a lot of inexperienced players this way, even with slow as shit weapons.

What level are you? If you're within range for level 50 summons (40-65?), I can drop a +5 Hiltless (my preferred Uchi variant) if you want to play around with it.

Khal_B

Thx alot for the info. Looks like I'll go the Claymore route from what you've said. It makes sense too since I've invested a bit more in strength than in dexterity.

I also tend to do most of my combat so far without locking on, so Claymores it is.

I'm still at a low level (27) but thx for the offer nonetheless.

LaB_NL

electroshockwave said:
If your character tendency turns whiter after Mephistopeles appears will she disappear again?

No. Once Mephistopheles enters the Nexus she will not leave despite changes in your Character Tendency.

oracrest

Look what just showed up! :)

cfaa3538.jpg

EasyMode

fuzzyreactor said:
i need help getting the monks head collar. im never summoned. any advice or can someone summon me. im soul level 60 on the na servers
SL 60 shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I want that collar, I just but down my blue soul sign in some hidden corner of 3-1. Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes, but it's always worked for me.

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Is that like your 18th version of the game Oracrest?

Just 3 so far. NA standard, NA limited, and this one.

You can get another 4 character slots out of 1 game by just making a different user on your PS3, ad infinitum...

Wallachia

oracrest said:
Just 3 so far. NA standard, NA limited, and this one.

You can get another 4 character slots out of 1 game by just making a different user on your PS3, ad infinitum...

Oracrest, you really should contact some people on the Dark Souls team, I bet they would get you in to test and help on the build.. seriously. :)

I was just farming the reaper and the hidden passage black skeleton in 4-2 for souls and I managed to get a pure bladestone. It doesn't seem fair that I was able to get it by accident when it took me so long to get one when I was trying for it.

Anyway, I have no use for it with my current character so if anyone wants it I'll give it away for free. I also have pure Darkmoonstone and Moonlightstone and a few other ores I don't need if someone wants those too. I'm SL93 right now but I should be higher if I keep farming.

Dyno

Had a great time beating 2-2 and 4-1 last night. 4-1 is a Blue Phantom/Black Phantom superhighway! I was there in body form and was constantly invaded/assisted by phantoms. This one dual uchikatana-backstabby type never seemed to encounter a fully upgraded Steel Shield before. We fought for at least fifteen minutes, both with Second Chance coming and going. Finally I beat him down and he escaped deeper in the level. I summoned a Blue Phantom and we went on to complete the level. Good times!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
4-1 is the unofficial dueling battleground. If you invade you better bow to your opponent or you'll be rushed and most people waiting for duels have blue phantoms with them.

electroshockwave said:
I was just farming the reaper and the hidden passage black skeleton in 4-2 for souls and I managed to get a pure bladestone. It doesn't seem fair that I was able to get it by accident when it took me so long to get one when I was trying for it.

Anyway, I have no use for it with my current character so if anyone wants it I'll give it away for free. I also have pure Darkmoonstone and Moonlightstone and a few other ores I don't need if someone wants those too. I'm SL93 right now but I should be higher if I keep farming.
I knoe Easymode was looking for a pure bladestone but I don't know if he found one yet. I myself could use a pure Moonstone.

oracrest said:
They know what they're doing ;P
Not until they make a demon in your honor!

EasyMode

electroshockwave said:

Oh, if you're playing the NA version could I get that pure bladestone? All of my farming attempts have failed :/
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I knoe Easymode was looking for a pure bladestone but I don't know if he found one yet. I myself could use a pure Moonstone.
Hey thanks for looking out :) You can have my pure moonstone by the way. SL 123 PSN: EasyMode-J. The tricky thing might be timing though. I think you said you played late MST and I'm EST.

EasyMode said:
Oh, if you're playing the NA version could I get that pure bladestone? All of my farming attempts have failed :/

Hey thanks for looking out :) You can have my pure moonstone by the way. SL 123 PSN: EasyMode-J. The tricky thing might be timing though. I think you said you played late MST and I'm EST.
Awesome, I'll have to up my SL to join you. I am 79. Thursday and Friday I don't work so I can work something out then and be up in SL by then too. PSN: Xenoflux2113

Actually I DO have a pure bladestone, We can do the join and quit game thing when I get closer to your level. I forgot I got it last night.

Grinchy

Banned
All I need now is the Dragon DS and the Hard DS and I have a platinum. It's just that I have to beat 1-4, start another new game, and get through most of world 1 and 2 in order to use them on the spells I need.

I just do not feel like doing it right now but I have to plat this game before Dark Souls.

LaB_NL

BeeDog said:
Is there any shop that still sells the EU Black Phantom Edition, or will I need to buy it second-hand?

I haven't found a retailer that still sells the BP-edition, so I guess you'll have to look for a secondhand one.

FYI: I paid €30,- for a sealed secondhand one a couple of weeks ago.

Grinchy said:
All I need now is the Dragon DS and the Hard DS and I have a platinum. It's just that I have to beat 1-4, start another new game, and get through most of world 1 and 2 in order to use them on the spells I need.

That would take about....an hour to do? I'd love to switch places with you. I'm still farming chunks of Marrowstone and that damned pure Bladestone. :(

EasyMode said:

I sent you a friend request. Message me whenever you want to trade. I've got everywhere unlocked if you want to summon me but if you want me to summon you the only place I can do it is 1-4.

fuzzyreactor said:
i got pure moonstones. willing to trade.

would love a freinds ring lol
A really easy way to get your character tendency white is to kill invading black phantoms as a blue phantom. So just keep playing co-op in invasion heavy levels like 4-1, 1-3 and 1-4. Assuming you said yes to the Monumental it shouldn't take you long to get the friend's ring.

EasyMode

electroshockwave said:
I sent you a friend request. Message me whenever you want to trade. I've got everywhere unlocked if you want to summon me but if you want me to summon you the only place I can do it is 1-4.
Awesome, I'll be online tonight. Is there anything you're looking for?

johntown

Banned
oracrest said:
Awesome, congrats. Now on to NG+ and all that stuff you haven't done yet :)
I recently started my NG+ and I must say that 1-1 was no problem and I found myself wondering why people said it was so much more difficult. I did 3-1 and the only issue I had there was the BP near the end. The only issue was the massive amount of damage I would take from one hit.

Now doing some of the other levels I am seeing why it is more difficult. I find I have no choice but to use Second Chance all the time because if I get hit more than once or mobbed by a group......I am dead pretty quick.

I am finding I have go slowly and craefully untill I level up more.

Sadly, the actual enemies are the same in terms of attacks, they just hurt a lot more. Hopefully Dark Souls has NG+ with extra content and new or more aggressive enemies.

johntown

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
Sadly, the actual enemies are the same in terms of attacks, they just hurt a lot more. Hopefully Dark Souls has NG+ with extra content and new or more aggressive enemies.
That would be nice if the lower level enemies rolled and had upgraded weapons or magic. I would like to be able to unlock secret areas in Dark souls for completing the game. Even if there are no secret areas and it is almost the same as Demon's Souls.......I will be happy.

Yeah, the enemies are not harder per se but you just have to be more careful until you level up enough.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I've been trying forever for Pure Bladestone :(

On a brighter note, I got enough Marrowstone chunks to finish a Fatal Estoc and get the trophy.

Congrats smuf.

LeCapitan said:
I've been trying forever for Pure Bladestone :(

On a brighter note, I got enough Marrowstone chunks to finish a Fatal Estoc and get the trophy.

Congrats smuf.
What is your SL and are you on US servers? I can "share" my pure bladestone with you SL 80 here.

EasyMode

electroshockwave said:
Do you have any faintstone shards or chunks that you don't need? I'm thinking of making a blessed Guillotine axe.
I'll bring whatever I can scrounge up. I have a pure faintstone, I'm sure I'll have a few shards or chunks.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
What is your SL and are you on US servers? I can "share" my pure bladestone with you SL 80 here.

I'm on US servers but my character is SL 120. Farming for bladestone has gotten me a retarded amount of souls so it's been easy to level. I think right now I have around 2 million since I don't want to level anymore (for PVP!) and have been storing them. I have so many souls that if I find I need an item from the vendors I usually just buy 99 for the hell of it. Guess I'll have plenty of time to farm while I wait for you to get to 115 or so (I forget how the level difference stuff works). Either that or I'll be playing From Dust.

LeCapitan said:
I'm on US servers but my character is SL 120. Farming for bladestone has gotten me a retarded amount of souls so it's been easy to level. I think right now I have around 2 million since I don't want to level anymore (for PVP!) and have been storing them. I have so many souls that if I find I need an item from the vendors I usually just buy 99 for the hell of it. Guess I'll have plenty of time to farm while I wait for you to get to 115 or so (I forget how the level difference stuff works). Either that or I'll be playing From Dust.

Yeah I have to gain 19 levels as the minimun for your level is 99. Ha ha well I will keep leveling and if you get one before I can share with you then awesome. I'll work on leveling tonight after work.

Glad you are getting your stone Easymode! congrats!

Grinchy

Banned
LaB_NL said:
That would take about....an hour to do? I'd love to switch places with you. I'm still farming chunks of Marrowstone and that damned pure Bladestone. :(
I know..it's just another hour on top of all the other hours.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
cnizzle06 said:
I really need to buy this game.

I hate being broke. :\

Start up a donation fund haha. I'd be willing to donate $5 to get you started.

Or you could go mow your neighbor's lawn. $20 can't be that hard to come by.

cnizzle06

Banned
LeCapitan said:
Start up a donation fund haha. I'd be willing to donate $5 to get you started.

Or you could go mow your neighbor's lawn. $20 can't be that hard to come by.

Ha, I really appreciate the gesture man but I'm not really looking for handouts. It's just, with paying to go to community college coupled with all other costs of living, it's hard to have additional disposable income. I'm considering selling one of my others games, but I always regret doing that in the end.

cnizzle06 said:
Ha, I really appreciate the gesture man but I'm not really looking for handouts. It's just, with paying to go to community college coupled with all other costs of living, it's hard to have additional disposable income. I'm considering selling one of my others games, but I always regret doing that in the end.
Well I would say that depends on the game you trade in because honestly Demon's Souls is probably the best game of this generation so any trade-in would be a step up IMO. I understand the no money situation all to well and the trade-in situation too. I traded for Demon's Souls last October and haven't looked back at all.

macuser1of5 said:
Strange how such a tiny chest can hold 1024 fainstones :p
buh what? Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to for your crazy awesome secrets?

cnizzle06

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Well I would say that depends on the game you trade in because honestly Demon's Souls is probably the best game of this generation so any trade-in would be a step up IMO. I understand the no money situation all to well and the trade-in situation too. I traded for Demon's Souls last October and haven't looked back at all.

Yeah, it's getting increasingly hard to ignore the praise this game receives around here. I may have to say goodbye to Killzone 3. I'm down to 4 games, so it's getting rough.

cnizzle06 said:
Yeah, it's getting increasingly hard to ignore the praise this game receives around here. I may have to say goodbye to Killzone 3. I'm down to 4 games, so it's getting rough.
Ouch. I traded KZ2 in for mine. So I know that feeling. While I do miss the MP (haven't gotten KZ3 yet) there are other means to do MP, and Demon's Souls MP is fantastic. Tough choice, but personally I have gotten more enjoyment out of Demon's Souls then I ever did with KZ2.

cnizzle06

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Ouch. I traded KZ2 in for mine. So I know that feeling. While I do miss the MP (haven't gotten KZ3 yet) there are other means to do MP, and Demon's Souls MP is fantastic. Tough choice, but personally I have gotten more enjoyment out of Demon's Souls then I ever did with KZ2.

Yeah, I'm torn. Appreciate the advice.

Top Bottom