• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Ok fellas, replaying the game because of my excitement for the release of (HURRY UP ALREADY) Dark Souls. Beat the game once before and I noticed Mefisto is no where to be seen on my new play through (first was with a Royal, doing Wonderer right now and the only boss I have left is the king). Did I do sonething wrong? I constatly went searching for her and remember her around waaaay before the point I'm at now on my second play though.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Beat this for the first time not too long ago.

For a game that has so little in the way of dialogue and character interaction, it's characters and world still manage to be one of the most memorable that I've ever experienced. Definitely the best (and darkest) dark fantasy game that I've played.

Dark Souls better not get delayed... playing that back to back with Skyrim is definitely gonna be my gaming highlight of this year.

Yo Gotti said:
Beat this for the first time not too long ago.

For a game that has so little in the way of dialogue and character interaction, it's characters and world still manage to be one of the most memorable that I've ever experienced. Definitely the best (and darkest) dark fantasy game that I've played.

Dark Souls better not get delayed... playing that back to back with Skyrim is definitely gonna be my gaming highlight of this year.

Totally agree. The dialogue of this game had conviction behind it, some of the scenes gave me chills and puts others more voiced games to shame.

Ill Saint

Gordon Shumway said:
Ok fellas, replaying the game because of my excitement for the release of (HURRY UP ALREADY) Dark Souls. Beat the game once before and I noticed Mefisto is no where to be seen on my new play through (first was with a Royal, doing Wonderer right now and the only boss I have left is the king). Did I do sonething wrong? I constatly went searching for her and remember her around waaaay before the point I'm at now on my second play though.
Is your character tendency pure black?

Zeth

bone_and_sinew said:
4-1 is the unofficial dueling battleground. If you invade you better bow to your opponent or you'll be rushed and most people waiting for duels have blue phantoms with them.

Can someone explain this better? Is there a dueling etiquette I'm unaware of? Only asking because the only times I've ever tried PvP I've been destroyed by more than one person on the other end.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Zeth said:
Can someone explain this better? Is there a dueling etiquette I'm unaware of? Only asking because the only times I've ever tried PvP I've been destroyed by more than one person on the other end.

Pretty sure they're only going to care about bowing if you use the red eye stone to challenge other players.

If you invade you might as well be ready for 2v1 most of the time.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I think I killed the BP Black Skeleton in 4-2 maybe... 150 or so times. Decided to go try the other normal Black Skeleton in 4-2 after reading some posts online, boom got the Pure Bladestone in 3 tries.

Damn you Demon's Souls, damn you.

BTW I've got 5.1 million souls. Anyone want to kill me in MP ;)

EasyMode

LeCapitan said:
I think I killed the BP Black Skeleton in 4-2 maybe... 150 or so times. Decided to go try the other normal Black Skeleton in 4-2 after reading some posts online, boom got the Pure Bladestone in 3 tries.
Maybe the Demon's Souls wiki is wrong about the drop rate being better with the BP skeleton. Whenever a GAFfer mentions they got pure bladestone, it seems like it's usually from the hidden passage skeleton, not the BP.

oh, and shoutouts to electroshockwave for coming through with the pure bladestone for me :)

fuzzyreactor said:
found this gem. Some guy blind playing (no info, guides, etc) demons souls for the first time with commentary. has me cracking up

http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameBangers?feature=mhee#p/c/9E05670C446E5059/0/gYC4exZfN8o
I watched a few of these last night and they were hilarious.

oracrest said:
I can finally add my name to the annals of youtube heroes who take game footage, and edit it to a song they like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXheUmvU30
I can't watch at work, but I'll be disappointed if it's not Linkin Park or Drowning Pool.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
fuzzyreactor said:
found this gem. Some guy blind playing (no info, guides, etc) demons souls for the first time with commentary. has me cracking up

http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameBangers?feature=mhee#p/c/9E05670C446E5059/0/gYC4exZfN8o
This is great. It's so hard to imagine being in his position. I don't even think I was this confused my first time playing the Japanese version, as I had swotted up on a few things beforehand.

I love pretending his voice is the actual voice of the knight, while all these NPCs are using medieval language with cryptic undertones.
"Umm... so, I think this is saying that ahhh, in order to get my body back I have to... kill some dragons. That sounds pretty epic, so I'm gonna go for that."

RIK

Neo Member
EasyMode said:
Maybe the Demon's Souls wiki is wrong about the drop rate being better with the BP skeleton. Whenever a GAFfer mentions they got pure bladestone, it seems like it's usually from the hidden passage skeleton, not the BP.

I got my pure bladestone from the BP. Hidden passage skeleton never dropped it for me and i really tried.
Nice thing about farming from BP skeleton is also the amount of souls it drops. Quick walk from Old Hero Archstone, Fireball the Reaper, Soulsuck BP Skeleton = 70.000 souls in like 2 minutes (NG++).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahah so funny XD He just "got through" first Phalanx

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
buh what? Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to for your crazy awesome secrets?
It is very simple, and makes grinding much less annoying... Continue onward if you want to speed up grinding for the sake of a weapon/platinum/etc and or don't have access to a duping buddy:

You can do this immediately at the beginning of the game. I would dip into the first world and get some herbs/spices you want to copy, though. Keep in mind that Thomas cannot have any of the item on him you are duplicating, so check his inventory first so you don't waste time…

...Equip the Nexial Binding in your quick selection "belt" or whatever you want to call it. Have the Binding displayed in your "belt". Walk up to Boldwin, and prepare to buy something (Crescent Moon grass for example).

When the purchase screen either tells you you can't afford it or asks you how many you want to buy, quickly move next to Thomas. DO NOT CLOSE THE PURCHASE WINDOW. The window will disappear on its own, and Boldwin will either yell at you, or say nothing at all.

When he's done talking or not saying anything (whichever happens) mash square to activate the nexial binding. Don't actually use the item, but instead press the start button on the dualshock to clear the 'do you want to lose your souls etc' screen. Now quickly talk to Thomas and deposit the item you want duped*. As soon as you confirm deposit, you'll activate the Binding, and you might notice your item's count increase by one in your inventory before the loading screen.

Return to Thomas, and you'll see 99-1024 of whatever you dropped. Rinse and repeat. It might take a few tries to get it right.

*You can do this with the following (off the top of my head):
Demon's Souls (including Colorless)
All consumables (including arrows, in case you were wondering why I had 300 white arrows :p)
Upgrade stones

2 questions:

While I was playing the last time I got DCed from PSN and game kicked me out to main menu iirc, when I get back in will I spawn at same place, will mobs have respawned or what will happen?

And 2nd, while watching that guy's blind run I noticed ostrava in 1-2, behind that locked gate right after first boss, well he isn't there for me... I saved him and followed him, I might have died and reloaded game few times after that, did he die somewhere and key is now lost?
If so, that ruins my plans a bit -.-

redhot_

Nolimit_SS said:
2 questions:

While I was playing the last time I got DCed from PSN and game kicked me out to main menu iirc, when I get back in will I spawn at same place, will mobs have respawned or what will happen?

And 2nd, while watching that guy's blind run I noticed ostrava in 1-2, behind that locked gate right after first boss, well he isn't there for me... I saved him and followed him, I might have died and reloaded game few times after that, did he die somewhere and key is now lost?

1. Everything will be as you left it.

2. Not sure why hes not there. maybe he did possibly die... There is also no key to get him from behind that huge gate door thingy.. you just come around behind him once you go under the archer towers.

oracrest

Nolimit_SS said:
2 questions:

1. You can quit mid level, and restart there again. All enemies you've killed will stay dead, until you die or go back to the nexus.

2. Ostrava is dead. Even when you rescue him once, if you restart the level, he will also respawn, and battle all enemies in his route. If you don't help, he'll probably die. At this early in the game, best bet is to restart, and make sure you help him and then defeat the level.

Grinchy

Banned
oracrest said:
How is this done? It's awesome!

Also, FINALLY! I finally feel like I've beaten this game and I'm ready for Dark Souls and other PS3 games that I've been neglecting lately.

RlnFI.png

johntown

Banned
Grinchy said:
How is this done? It's awesome!

Also, FINALLY! I finally feel like I've beaten this game and I'm ready for Dark Souls and other PS3 games that I've been neglecting lately.

RlnFI.png
Nice.......I am working on this now and I am curious about how long and how many runs it took you to get it?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It reminds me of Legendary Dark Knight mode in DMC4 PC version. I would kill for something like that in Dark Souls.

So I had PBWT in 5... Took out the primeval demon then spent all of my arrows trying to take out Selen. Needless to say I was unable to do it, and was forced to leave and the tendency changed, and so there goes BP Garl with PWWT. Lets hope I can get them done in NG+ (I'll be more prepared next time).

johntown

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So I had PBWT in 5... Took out the primeval demon then spent all of my arrows trying to take out Selen. Needless to say I was unable to do it, and was forced to leave and the tendency changed, and so there goes BP Garl with PWWT. Lets hope I can get them done in NG+ (I'll be more prepared next time).
I would recommend doing it in this round if you can. They will be MUCH harder in NG+.

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:

You can lure her over to the bigger island, near the slugs. You might want to clear the bugs out first that fly down at you in that area...

johntown said:
Nice.......I am working on this now and I am curious about how long and how many runs it took you to get it?

well i know item duping may be frowned upon, but if you do that perhaps 1 or 2 playthroughs. mine took 2.

i only item duped because grinding for stones was not fun, just boring, unlike the rest of the game, which was excellent.

Grinchy

Banned
johntown said:
I honestly do not remember how many +'s I did. I might have been on ng++++. My faith build, which did most of the trophy hunting, is at like 105 hours.

I don't know how long it actually takes though, because I didn't start actually going for the trophies until somewhat recently.

johntown

Banned
Smelly Tramp said:
well i know item duping may be frowned upon, but if you do that perhaps 1 or 2 playthroughs. mine took 2.

i only item duped because grinding for stones was not fun, just boring, unlike the rest of the game, which was excellent.
The only thing I may consider that for is the Pure Bladestone. I have not been trying for it but I will try for it awhile on my own and if I cannot get it then I will dupe it from someone. Other than that I plan on farming for all the other trophies.

johntown said:
I would recommend doing it in this round if you can. They will be MUCH harder in NG+.
Thing is I can always go PBWT again to take her out but I won't be able to hit PWWT since the primeval demon was already killed and after running out of arrows and not having anything aside from morion blade and my bow with me at the time I was screwed. So I can take out Selen but my chances at BP garl this round are done unless Atlas decides to do some server tendency events in the next week. NG+ is where I'll get Bramd and my crest to get that ring from Selen. Damn my ill preparedness and luck.

oracrest

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Thing is I can always go PBWT again to take her out but I won't be able to hit PWWT since the primeval demon was already killed and after running out of arrows and not having anything aside from morion blade and my bow with me at the time I was screwed. So I can take out Selen but my chances at BP garl this round are done unless Atlas decides to do some server tendency events in the next week. NG+ is where I'll get Bramd and my crest to get that ring from Selen. Damn my ill preparedness and luck.

There's still a way...

have a friend invade your game a few times as a BP, and kill them, say, 4 or 5 times. A few more if you die in body form, to cover that shift, just in case. Then, turn it off and go back to the nexus in offline mode...

What's your SL?

oracrest said:
There's still a way...

have a friend invade your game a few times as a BP, and kill them, say, 4 or 5 times. A few more if you die in body form, to cover that shift, just in case. Then, turn it off and go back to the nexus in offline mode...

What's your SL?
Dang I forgot about that, I have been playing offline so much to manage tendecies. I am SL 83 I believe. I'll remember that but I got so discouraged that I took out Astraea because I figured I couldn't get back to PWWT
so no one can invade in 5 anymore and I don't have a red stone to see other players red stone signs

johntown

Banned
oracrest said:
There's still a way...

What's your SL?
I thought that only changed character tendency and not world tendency?

oracrest

johntown said:
I thought that only changed character tendency and not world tendency?

It changes both.

Xeno, pretty sure WT carries over, so you should be fine in NG+ he isn't so hard once you got his pattern down. Just remember to go all the way back to Selen before the Nexus afterwards.

oracrest said:
It changes both.

Xeno, pretty sure WT carries over, so you should be fine in NG+ he isn't so hard once you got his pattern down. Just remember to go all the way back to Selen before the Nexus afterwards.
Good to know. Well as long as there are bosses WT isnt that bad to manage. I'll judt do it in ng+. Thanks for the advice as always.

oracrest

Wallachia said:
Oracrest, awesome video.. thanks for making. Constants are awesome.. my style. Have you heard Ceterum, my friends band too, they are cool.

Could you do song requests?[/URL]

Thanks! Those guys are pretty good. That song is off a single split with Caspian, a post rock band. They have it on one of their albums, but this was the only version with the two singers. One guy left soon afterwards.

I would do more, but this one took me a while to throw together, in whatever time I got here and there last week.

You should do one yourself. 'Vegas' is an editing program that has a free trial period, and it's easy enough to rip any cinematics you need.

Wallachia

oracrest said:
Thanks! Those guys are pretty good. That song is off a single split with Caspian, a post rock band. They have it on one of their albums, but this was the only version with the two singers. One guy left soon afterwards.

I would do more, but this one took me a while to throw together, in whatever time I got here and there last week.

You should do one yourself. 'Vegas' is an editing program that has a free trial period, and it's easy enough to rip any cinematics you need.

Vegas, I'll try it out, thanks!

All this music talk makes me want to go play DS with music all the way down and play my own alng with it..

I have a huge issue with World Tendencies. I wanted to achieve PBWT in Boletarian Palace, so I started the game in offline mode. I spent a lot of those green stones that allow you to switch to Body form, and then repeatably died. Result? Nothing. The icon remains the same (highly bright). What am I doing wrong?

EasyMode

Lagspike_exe said:
I have a huge issue with World Tendencies. I wanted to achieve PBWT in Boletarian Palace, so I started the game in offline mode. I spent a lot of those green stones that allow you to switch to Body form, and then repeatably died. Result? Nothing. The icon remains the same (highly bright). What am I doing wrong?
The WT change doesn't take effect until you go back to the nexus.

Top Bottom