• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

LeCapitan

Neo Member
johntown said:
Nice.......I am working on this now and I am curious about how long and how many runs it took you to get it?

I recently set out to get the platinum and I am almost finished. I've read up on everything and even have a roadmap set up in Google Docs haha. Pretty sure the minimum number of playthroughs is four unless you resort to duping some of the Demon's Souls.

Check out my progress:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWge6s1PFRbZWYwxUWhhXY4ypLaa3SpJzwWupgkjOqQ/edit?hl=en_US

Grinchy

Banned
LeCapitan said:
I recently set out to get the platinum and I am almost finished. I've read up on everything and even have a roadmap set up in Google Docs haha. Pretty sure the minimum number of playthroughs is four unless you resort to duping some of the Demon's Souls.

Check out my progress:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWge6s1PFRbZWYwxUWhhXY4ypLaa3SpJzwWupgkjOqQ/edit?hl=en_US
You can start different characters. So like you could have one character getting all the spells while another character gets miracles. Then you get the trophies out of each of their first playthroughs and you don't have to worry about the increase in difficulty. I guess that's still "2 playthroughs" but to a Demon's Souls player that's really only 1 :p

I should have just made a new character for spells, but I ended up doing another playthrough almost just because of a few spells I had left to aquire.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
You can start different characters. So like you could have one character getting all the spells while another character gets miracles. Then you get the trophies out of each of their first playthroughs and you don't have to worry about the increase in difficulty. I guess that's still "2 playthroughs" but to a Demon's Souls player that's really only 1 :p

I should have just made a new character for spells, but I ended up doing another playthrough almost just because of a few spells I had left to aquire.

I guess you're right. You have to get all the weapons on the same character though so I decided to just do it all on one character. Plus I think I've read NG+2 and NG+3 are not much of a jump in difficulty.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah the weapons thing was a total bitch. Since I was on my 4th or 5th playthrough I have trouble putting together what the "efficient plat run" would really be.

I didn't really ever find the extra +'s to be a huge jump in difficulty either, but I did notice that a few wrong moves still spelled death for my SL200 char.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
I didn't really ever find the extra +'s to be a huge jump in difficulty either, but I did notice that a few wrong moves still spelled death for my SL200 char.

I'm on NG+ with my char at SL120, and it is super easy. I'm not going to level anymore so hopefully it's enough for NG+2 and NG+3. Second Chance to the rescue!

Grinchy

Banned
LeCapitan said:
I'm on NG+ with my char at SL120, and it is super easy. I'm not going to level anymore so hopefully it's enough for NG+2 and NG+3. Second Chance to the rescue!
Wow! I think I was level 70-80 when I got to NG+. I was SL200 at NG+++ (maybe NG++++..i can't remember).

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
Wow! I think I was level 70-80 when I got to NG+. I was SL200 at NG+++ (maybe NG++++..i can't remember).

I was too... but then I had to farm for Pure Bladestone. Now I'm SL120 and I have 5 million souls that I'm willing to give to the next black phantom that can manage to kill me.

LeCapitan said:
I was too... but then I had to farm for Pure Bladestone. Now I'm SL120 and I have 5 million souls that I'm willing to give to the next black phantom that can manage to kill me.

Why not take a few more levels? 120 doesnt sound that high.

CatPee

LeCapitan said:

...what's your region? >:)

Canova said:
I cant believe the server is still busy, just did over 10 invasions in 1-3 with no problem finding opponent
European servers suck. I tried invading for at least an hour in 4-1 and 4-2 and all I got was 1 invasion. :( Same story in 1-X.

Facism

Lagspike_exe said:
European servers suck. I tried invading for at least an hour in 4-1 and 4-2 and all I got was 1 invasion. :( Same story in 1-X.

heh i'm in the UK and imported the US version. One worry i had was the lack of people online, turned out i was never short of blue and red phantoms at any time of the day. The US fanbase are literally playing DS at all hours.

Grinchy

Banned
LeCapitan said:
Yeah that makes sense. I didn't even try to farm for pure bladestone until like ng++. I was shocked to get it in like 6 runs. I was just farming souls at that point, not thinking the stone would ever drop. I figured I'd farm for it later.

Facism said:
heh i'm in the UK and imported the US version. One worry i had was the lack of people online, turned out i was never short of blue and red phantoms at any time of the day. The US fanbase are literally playing DS at all hours.
Wanna trade? :(

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
Yeah, I'd be surprised if the servers go down anytime soon.

Welcome back.

thanks, I see that you did really well keeping the thread alive and helping new players

Lagspike_exe said:

depends on the soul level, my character is SL 28-30, and I absolutely had no problem finding a match in 1-3. never had to wait more than 5-10 seconds to get the message 'Invading' flashing. Sometimes 1-4 too

I think for 4-1 is more appropriate for lower than SL 20. ...4-2 should be for SL 20-30

Canova said:
thanks, I see that you did really well keeping the thread alive and helping new players

depends on the soul level, my character is SL 28-30, and I absolutely had no problem finding a match in 1-3. never had to wait more than 5-10 seconds to get the message 'Invading' flashing. Sometimes 1-4 too

I think for 4-1 is more appropriate for lower than SL 20. ...4-2 should be for SL 20-30

I'm SL90 right now, that explains it.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
whiterabbit said:
Why not take a few more levels? 120 doesnt sound that high.

120 is the general PVP level.

CatPee said:
...what's your region? >:)

NA; don't worry I lost all those souls already to the damn spear NPCs in 1-3... I'm a sucker.

SoccerGoaliePro said:
I just spent 8 hours trying to get a pure bladestone and I still didn't get it.....

Try the non-BP skeleton in the hidden passage. I killed the BP skeleton too many times and got it from the regular skeleton in only a couple tries.

Just bought this game..

Have died about 10 times so far, each time getting slightly farther in the 1st level.

Very frustrating that you have to start at the beginning each time... Think I was almost at the dragon boss and some fucker knocked me down a flight of stairs.

Any tips to make this easier other then trial and error? Probably the hardest game I've played in awhile.

Nightbreeze said:
Just bought this game..

Have died about 10 times so far, each time getting slightly farther in the 1st level.

Very frustrating that you have to start at the beginning each time... Think I was almost at the dragon boss and some fucker knocked me down a flight of stairs.

Any tips to make this easier other then trial and error? Probably the hardest game I've played in awhile.

You can make some shortcuts in almost every level. Look around for objects to interact with.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Nightbreeze said:
Just bought this game..

You can't do much to make it easier until you get through the first level. You could try a new character / starting class to see if you do better with different weapons.

Will F

Nightbreeze said:
Just bought this game..

Start with the Royal class. You begin the game with a spell (Soul Arrow) that can 1 shot most things in the first level, and a ring that regenerates your MP. Makes the start of the game so much easier

If you don't want to be a caster the way the class system works you can just put your points into non-magic skills once you can level up.

KorrZ

I regret waiting so long to buy a PS3 and pick up this game because I think it might be my favourite game of the generation. I just got the game last Tuesday and have already put 30 hours in, soul level 60 something. Only have 1-4, 3-3 and all of World 5 to do, super excited to start NG+!

LeCapitan

Neo Member
KorrZ said:
I regret waiting so long to buy a PS3 and pick up this game because I think it might be my favourite game of the generation. I just got the game last Tuesday and have already put 30 hours in, soul level 60 something. Only have 1-4, 3-3 and all of World 5 to do, super excited to start NG+!

Glad to hear it, and good luck :D

I've been playing this game for the first time this weekend. So ridiculously fun, even when it makes me want to end all life on earth in a fit of delirious rage. I've only beaten 1-1 and 2-1. Died stupidly on the tower knight on my first attempt at clearing 1-2, and I've all the doors between 3-1 and the boss open but haven't tried fighting it yet because I bailed out to spend my souls.

I just love how the game is completely free of any bullcrap that doesn't matter. It's nonstop gameplay once you get going. No distracting story sequences, no puzzles for length padding, etc.

leroidys

Sheeeeit. I just got matched up for the deluxe edition of this on goozex - 1200 points. I already have and beat the original. I can't decide whether to cancel the matchup or not. Advise me gaf! Is the deluxe edition really worth it?

oracrest

leroidys said:
Sheeeeit. I just got matched up for the deluxe edition of this on goozex - 1200 points. I already have and beat the original. I can't decide whether to cancel the matchup or not. Advise me gaf! Is the deluxe edition really worth it?

Cover art is really good, and nice concepts in the art book.

I came across some more new fanarts and whatnot recently...

49752f2cc7f9daa00ae71902398589fa.jpg

p1170087.jpg

sample-db2865df99a576387ec66a719b09f9be.jpg

8a229448f92b4dde5d9b0184b7faf17a.jpg

4369b4d5a6402b907ba27f8c230e4518.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

KorrZ

Okay Demon's Souls GAF I have a couple questions:

1) I have the Purple Flame Shield +8 right now, but I just picked up the Dark Silver Shield. Which one is better as an all around shield? Assuming I spend the time to upgrade both to max?

2) If I can get my equip burden high enough to allow it, should I switch from my Gloom Armor set to Dark Silver? Is there any benefit? I'm really bad at understanding what the stats mean in this game.

3) Is the Blueblood sword good enough for me to start dumping points into Luck? Currently using the Crushing Knight Sword +5

My character is spec'd out mainly Str/Vit/End 40/30/30 but I've been slowly spreading points around into magic/intel and faith.

johntown

Banned
KorrZ said:

1) I have the Purple Flame Shield +8 right now, but I just picked up the Dark Silver Shield. Which one is better as an all around shield? Assuming I spend the time to upgrade both to max?

2) If I can get my equip burden high enough to allow it, should I switch from my Gloom Armor set to Dark Silver? Is there any benefit? I'm really bad at understanding what the stats mean in this game.

3) Is the Blueblood sword good enough for me to start dumping points into Luck? Currently using the Crushing Knight Sword +5

My character is spec'd out mainly Str/Vit/End 40/30/30 but I've been slowly spreading points around into magic/intel and faith.
1. IMO the Purple Flame Shield is one of the best and the one I am currently using. The only bad thing is it does not block magic (except for fire). If you plan on doing a lot of PVP then the Dark Silver can be very helpful especially against a magic user. Personally, I like the Purple Flame better.

2. The Dark Silver is going to be much better at blocking magic. Again for PVP magic users it can be very helpful. I think it is a step up from the gloom but the only real difference is magic resistance.

3. Yes but if your luck stat is too high I heard it can affect farming for other stones. Some people recommend no higher than 20 for luck on a normal build.

KorrZ

johntown said:
3. Yes but if your luck stat is too high I heard it can affect farming for other stones. Some people recommend no higher than 20 for luck on a normal build.

Is that enough Luck for the Blueblood Sword to be effective? By effective I just mean more worthwhile than the Crushing Knight Sword +5

johntown

Banned
KorrZ said:
Is that enough Luck for the Blueblood Sword to be effective? By effective I just mean more worthwhile than the Crushing Knight Sword +5
Nope.....if you are done most of your rare stones then keep pushing up your luck and it will be your best sword.

If you still need to get the Pure Bladestone, Darkmoonstone and some of rare stones you may want to hold off raising your luck too high until you have those.

The one you are currently using is stonger the higher your strength stat is.

KorrZ

johntown said:
Nope.....if you are done most of your rare stones then keep pushing up your luck and it will be your best sword.

If you still need to get the Pure Bladestone, Darkmoonstone and some of rare stones you may want to hold off raising your luck too high until you have those.

The one you are currently using is stonger the higher your strength stat is.

So should I even bother putting my points into Strength anymore? Unless theres a point where my Str would make the Knight Sword > Blueblood then do I really need more than 40? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but you've been really helpful! So thank you for all the help so far.

gioGAF

My thoughts:

1) If you are playing offline, stick to the Purple Flame Shield. You can keep the Dark Silver Shield on you for the magic users in 4-2 if you really need to, but in general, it is better to just dodge most magic attacks. Dark Silver Shield is excellent for PvP, but it is just okay for PvE. If you really want to parry in single player, use the Knight Shield instead.

2) Armor is mostly cosmetic once you get past NG into NG+ (again for PvE). So if you really want to wear that Dark Silver set, I say go for it. If you are at all concerned with PvP, I would stick to lighter armor, make sure I can roll properly, and never raise endurance past 40.

3) Stick to Crushing Knight Sword (or other Crushing path weapons). Effective use of the Blueblood Sword requires a very specific build. You are better off using strength weapons, and if you need a little extra damage, look into the Curse Weapon magic spell.

johntown

Banned
KorrZ said:
So should I even bother putting my points into Strength anymore? Unless theres a point where my Str would make the Knight Sword > Blueblood then do I really need more than 40? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but you've been really helpful! So thank you for all the help so far.
How high is your luck stat?

Sure you can always add more points to your STR sword but if you do a proper build the blueblood sword can be one of the strongest swords in the game.

gioGAF

Depends on your build. I would normally say don't raise strength past 50. Diminishing returns kick in pretty hard when you go over 50. But there are a few instances when it is okay to do so (you want to use a competitive PvP Crushing Claymore build).

tl;dr
Strength = 50 is good enough

LeCapitan

Neo Member
KorrZ said:

1. AFAIK the steel shield is one of the better all arounders.
2. Wear whatever you want but keep your equip burden <= 50% of max. Dark Silver armor has some nice magic defense on it.
3. Blueblood sword + Light Weapon is already pretty strong with the lowest luck possible, but since you've dumped so much into strength you might as well go strength / crushing.

gioGAF

We should be ;-)

I don't have faith in Namco Bandai (lets face it, they suck). I hope Dark Souls is "100% From Software".

oracrest

LeCapitan said:
I'll be around... probably invading your game :D

One thing I never got into in Demon's Souls was invading, but I would like to focus on it more with Dark Souls. Most of the time I just try and help the other guy, because it's so fun trying to get someone to trust you as a black phantom. Pretty hard actually...

I always give S ranks to other players, even if they're horrible :D

Kalnos

Banned
oracrest said:
One thing I never got into in Demon's Souls was invading, but I would like to focus on it more with Dark Souls. Most of the time I just try and help the other guy, because it's so fun trying to get someone to trust you as a black phantom. Pretty hard actually...

The best reason to do this is so when they finally start trusting you and let their guard down you gank the fuck out of them.
KuGsj.gif

Fuck it, I think I will start a new character tonight.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
oracrest said:

I think if you're the host, a lower grade means less souls for your blue phantom friends. There's really no reason to give players a lower grade unless they completely fail you, or you want to be a jerk haha.

Two unique weapons away from having that trophy... NG+ will see me getting bramd to and soulbrandt to get the last two I need. Then its off to pick up the spells with the souls and the last 3 rings I need and the moonstone and marrowstone trophies. I am 6 trophies from plat. It's within reach!

Top Bottom