• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

playing late last night and the shield contest had me looking over some of the Boletarian shields, and it looks like the Dark Silver Shield bears a resemblance of a primitive picture of a primeval demon on it.
dfdddfdddddssssssssssssss.jpg
[/IMG]

"The dark silver shield of the Vinland Legacy

Known as the oldest of metals, the dark silver is said to purify dark malice. It protects the user from all magics."

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
JackSmithy said:
playing late last night and the shield contest had me looking over some of the Boletarian shields, and it looks like the Dark Silver Shield bears a resemblance of a primitive picture of a primeval demon on it.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g469/jacksmithy/dfdddfdddddssssssssssssss.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Whoa, mindblown!

[QUOTE=gioGAF]We should be ;-)

I don't have faith in Namco Bandai (lets face it, they suck). I hope Dark Souls is "100% From Software".[/QUOTE]
It is. Hell, From is publishing it themselves in Japan.

Eccocid

Kalnos said:
The best reason to do this is so when they finally start trusting you and let their guard down you gank the fuck out of them.
KuGsj.gif

Fuck it, I think I will start a new character tonight.

YES! It is so fun to backstab them after you gain their trust right before they enter to boss gate LOLOLOL.

I just started playing this game tonight, and, honestly, I don't really know what's going on. I died and visited the nexus and then proceeded to go to the bolatarian (I think that's what it's called) castle and died once and lost all of my souls, and i don't really know what to do now. I'm not sensing much of a direction for this game at the moment. What's the point?

Orayn

Ben Pierce said:
I just started playing this game tonight, and, honestly, I don't really know what's going on. I died and visited the nexus and then proceeded to go to the bolatarian (I think that's what it's called) castle and died once and lost all of my souls, and i don't really know what to do now. I'm not sensing much of a direction for this game at the moment. What's the point?
Explore the levels, kill the bosses, get cool equipment, build your character in an interesting way, and try to find all the secrets tucked away in the game's little nooks and crannies. It's kind of hard to explain, but it has a way of drawing you in if you let it. Similar to the King's Field series, it's a combination of atmosphere, the gorgeous/haunting imagery, the pace of the gameplay, and the overall feel of the game that makes it something special.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Orayn said:
Explore the levels, kill the bosses, get cool equipment, build your character in an interesting way, and try to find all the secrets tucked away in the game's little nooks and crannies. It's kind of hard to explain, but it has a way of drawing you in if you let it. Similar to the King's Field series, it's a combination of atmosphere, the gorgeous/haunting imagery, the pace of the gameplay, and the overall feel of the game that makes it something special.
To add to what he said, once you do build your character in a way you like, play with other people and whoop-ass or get your ass-whooped.

johntown

Banned
oracrest said:
One thing I never got into in Demon's Souls was invading, but I would like to focus on it more with Dark Souls. Most of the time I just try and help the other guy, because it's so fun trying to get someone to trust you as a black phantom. Pretty hard actually...

I always give S ranks to other players, even if they're horrible :D
Not that some people aren't suckers but who would trust a BP? I know if they don't attack me and start attacking enemies.....they are getting backstabbed.......or I will try to banish them.

johntown

Banned
Ben Pierce said:
Take a look at the wiki http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

I know the first time I played I really did not want to look at any guides or anything and I eventually had to start a whole new game because halfway through I realized I had to kill Crystal Geckos, should have killed you all know who in the Nexus before he started killing all the NPC's (that is the main reason I had to start over).

The game is so deep and complex that you will most likely miss tons of stuff without some help.

dc89

Started a new save earlier what a great game I'm hooked on it atm.

I'm going a faith build and got a Mirdan Hammer from the miners in 2-1 on my 2nd try lucky me!

oracrest

Ben Pierce said:

Sweet, explorative bliss.

Embrace the chaos, the game doesn't stop remaining unique and different as you go deeper. Don't worry about the confusion, it will all connect and make sense in time. Go check the instructional messages down the stairs at the Nexus for a good primer on gameplay stuff.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
JackSmithy said:

Sure does. Cool find. I can't figure out what they have in common though... mainly since the Primeval Demon's do nothing but sit there.

Bollocks

So Amazon shipped my copy, oh god what have I done?!
I never really liked RPGs but this got praises all around and I need a summer filler game till Driver, Resistance 3, so here we go ._.

I initially wanted to play as a thief but that seems like a bad idea and watching some lets play videos I came to the conclusion that I'm not even trying to be the hero, I will play in the most cheapest way possible, keeping the retries to a minimum.

Vitten

Some interesting things to do when you get bored:

- Trolling Black Phantom invaders in 2-1 and 1-3.
In 2-1 you can quickroll over the lava pit with good timing and the help of Water Veil or Second Chance. Many a desperate BP never found me while I was chilling out in front of the Armored Spider foggate.
Halfway in 1-3 you can climb the staircase without the soldier pushing down the flaming ball if you stay extremely left with your left foot in the air and only your right foot on the stairs. I've yet to come across a BP who found me hanging out passed this guy.

- starting 1-1 of a NG with a +3 weapon. Defeat Vanguard in the tutorial and then dupe his soul and the sharp/hard stones you find in the next area.

Vitten said:
In 2-1 you can quickroll over the lava pit with good timing and the help of Water Veil or Second Chance. Many a desperate BP never found me while I was chilling out in front of the Armored Spider foggate.

nice

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Vitten said:
starting 1-1 of a NG with a +3 weapon. Defeat Vanguard in the tutorial and then dupe his soul and the sharp/hard stones you find in the next area.

s'what? How would you dupe the items?

Vitten

LeCapitan said:
s'what? How would you dupe the items?

Just check 'Duping with Thomas' vids on youtube for more details. I would not recommend doing this until you've platted the game legitimately as it cheapens your experience.
But it's a fun glitch to mess around with once you've pretty much done everything the game has to offer.

oracrest

JackSmithy said:
dfdddfdddddssssssssssssss.jpg
[/IMG]

"The dark silver shield of the Vinland Legacy

Known as the oldest of metals, the dark silver is said to purify dark malice. It protects the user from all magics."

You should post that here.

Jeez, I'm playing this for the first time and I can't seem to keep body form for more than 5 minutes. I either get killed by a black phantom almost instantly the first time I enter a world with my body, or derp and fall to my death. I managed to fall to my death in the nexus almost immediately after beating the first proper level to get my body back, and earlier today I managed to waltz off the bridge where the maneater fight happens in between killing the bosses and reaching the archstone. By the old one, I'm stupid.

Orayn

fredrancour said:
Jeez, I'm playing this for the first time and I can't seem to keep body form for more than 5 minutes. I either get killed by a black phantom almost instantly the first time I enter a world with my body, or derp and fall to my death. I managed to fall to my death in the nexus almost immediately after beating the first proper level to get my body back, and earlier today I managed to waltz off the bridge where the maneater fight happens in between killing the bosses and reaching the archstone. By the old one, I'm stupid.
The falls are just sort of something you have to learn by trial and error plus keeping a keen eye out for messages that warn you of deadly drops. As far as Black Phantoms go, you can go into offline mode if you're desperate, or perhaps look up one of many PvP counter-strategies on the Demon's Souls Wiki.

johntown

Banned
Bollocks said:
So Amazon shipped my copy, oh god what have I done?!
I never really liked RPGs but this got praises all around and I need a summer filler game till Driver, Resistance 3, so here we go ._.

I initially wanted to play as a thief but that seems like a bad idea and watching some lets play videos I came to the conclusion that I'm not even trying to be the hero, I will play in the most cheapest way possible, keeping the retries to a minimum.
The thief may be one of the hardest classes to get past 1-1 as. If you want to go cheap and easy I suggest choosing the Royal. They have a ranged magical attack that will one shot just about every enemy in 1-1. Also, they have a ring that regenerates MP.

johntown

Banned
fredrancour said:
If you would have started several month ago you would not have really had to worry about BP's.

I have a new thief build that I have been playing, SL between 30-40 and anytime I am in body form I am getting invaded but there are also plenty of blue phantoms available to help. Several months ago you would not have been able to find any blue phantoms and would hardly get invaded until you were at least SL 70 and above.

I assume everyone is getting their skills ready for Dark Souls and that is probably why there are so many people online. It is actually nice but now I will have to prepare a lot more when I take body form in my lower SL games.

LaB_NL

johntown said:
The thief may be one of the hardest classes to get past 1-1 as.

Also in my opinion a melee build is quite an increase in challenge opposed to a magic/faith build and also more diverse to play.

johntown

Banned
LaB_NL said:
Also in my opinion a melee build is quite an increase in challenge opposed to a magic/faith build and also more diverse to play.
You mean like the Barbarian class or just a melee character in general?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
chris-013 said:
Yes it's more harder and more fun too. I can't play a magic class in this game it's too easy.

I'm still rocking the spellsword hybrid. Lot's of fun IMO. Decent melee and magic damage plus in PVP the other guy is always thrown off guard. I've got a funny video of me fighting a guy using firestorm and it boiled down to him not being able to do anything but run back where the NPCs are and we'd just look at each other while I tried to fish out one NPC at a time. I have to upload the vid, it has a great finish.

johntown

Banned
Frank Jaeger said:
Went around in 2-1 a bit the other day (first time) and those fireball mages are a pain in the but! Any advice?
Well it depends......are you a magic user? If so target him quickly and then jump behind a wall. Wait for him to throw his fireball then jump out and do your magic attack.

If you are using weapons then go near him (make sure you have room to roll) wait for him to toss the fireball and them dodge, hit him a couple times and repeat.

Oh yeah, if you have a bow just take him out from a distance.

I'm a magic user, but it's that one on the high platform that has a bridge leading to him that collapses. It's hard to target him and I keep getting flamed! Got the bow now, gonna try and snipe him!

thanks!

Frank Jaeger said:
Went around in 2-1 a bit the other day (first time) and those fireball mages are a pain in the but! Any advice?

Learn their attack pattern so you know when to dodge, get the Purple Flame shield to block their fire attacks (will absorb 90& of the fire damage) or use a heavy weapon that can cause them to stagger. I think there are only four of them in 2-1 and two of them are avoidable.

Orayn

electroshockwave said:
Learn their attack pattern so you know when to dodge, get the Purple Flame shield to block their fire attacks (will absorb 90& of the fire damage) or use a heavy weapon that can cause them to stagger. I think there are only four of them in 2-1 and two of them are avoidable.
The Purple Flame Shield is quite nice, and there are other useful goodies to loot from the dragons' hoard as well.

johntown

Banned
Frank Jaeger said:
I'm a magic user, but it's that one on the high platform that has a bridge leading to him that collapses. It's hard to target him and I keep getting flamed! Got the bow now, gonna try and snipe him!

thanks!
Yeah, the bow is the way to go for that one.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Frank Jaeger said:

thanks!

Learning to dodge is the only true answer. You'll thank me for it later :D

Orayn

Frank Jaeger said:
I have the shield, but still need to meet the strength requirements!

Thanks again!
If you're up for more dragon-dodging, there's a Ring of Great Strength down there as well. It decreases the weight of your currently equipped gear by half.

LaB_NL

Frank Jaeger said:
I'm a magic user, but it's that one on the high platform that has a bridge leading to him that collapses. It's hard to target him and I keep getting flamed!

Otherwise walk to right of that bridge, where the fog was/is, and target him there.

oracrest

Frank Jaeger said:

thanks!

You gotta take the defensive with these guys. With his lance on the ground, as soon as his arm goes back, a fireball is coming... If your timing is good, you can roll into and through them as they pass. Otherwise, hard side strafing will make it go right by you, unless your really close. Since casting allows you to move a bit before a spell, start casting early, as the fireball goes by, then you'll have time to hit and dodge before another one is coming...

Finalow

LaB_NL said:
Woohoo!

qDgTK.jpg

XohJO.jpg

Now I really need to find me that Asian version.

[edit] without duping anything btw.
wow, i have the asian version and the pal version, with either of them i didn't take the platinum trophy.

Quick question from someone looking to buy the game: If I import the US version, will the online work on my PAL PS3?

And if so, will I need to create a new US PSN account to make it work?

Thanks for any help with this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ryujin said:
Quick question from someone looking to buy the game: If I import the US version, will the online work on my PAL PS3?

And if so, will I need to create a new US PSN account to make it work?

Thanks for any help with this.
It will work flawlessly. No, you can play it on any account that you want.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
levious said:
but he'll be playing only with people playing the US version right?
Yes sir.

Top Bottom