• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Interesting, thanks for the swift reply!

Now I have to decide if I want the cheap US version or venture into retail land and get the PAL version...

I assume the US version is more popular and has more people playing, however given that I'm from Europe there might be allot more lag that way...choices choices....

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ryujin said:
Interesting, thanks for the swift reply!

Now I have to decide if I want the cheap US version or venture into retail land and get the PAL version...

I assume the US version is more popular and has more people playing, however given that I'm from Europe there might be allot more lag that way...choices choices....
Heed my warning, here's my comments about the US version:
Yoshichan said:
LOL at people playing US version and saying it's a good version.

Online community fucking sucks major ass. ESPECIALLY in 3-3 (old monk boss). Sweet mother of God, disconnections left and right, during battles, before battles, DURING LOADING SCREENS, Everything is just wrong with the online system in US.

I expected more, I'm heading back to either Asia or EU again.
Some people have experienced the same problems (I'm from EU).

Actually one last question: Altus has said they will keep the online going through till October 2011. But Atlus only handle the US version of the game, and because the online is separated by region does anyone know how long Namco-Bandai will keep the European servers up?

Thanks.

Just defeated the Storm King. That was a fun boss fight.
Anyways, I have a stupid question.
If I accidentally kill a merchant, is he dead forever?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ryujin said:
Actually one last question: Altus has said they will keep the online going through till October 2011. But Atlus only handle the US version of the game, and because the online is separated by region does anyone know how long Namco-Bandai will keep the European servers up?

Thanks.
No one knows for sure, yet.
Hellshadow said:
Just defeated the Storm King. That was a fun boss fight.
Anyways, I have a stupid question.
If I accidentally kill a merchant, is he dead forever?
Yes, until you beat the game and reach NG+.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Why must you be so elusive Chunk of Marrowstone? I have been farming you for days with 0 drops...

I've got a good way to run through that level pretty quickly. You skip 2 of the groups of mosquitoes, but they're such a PITA to get to it's not worth it.

- Start at the Leechmonger archstone
- Go normally down the edge, kill the spear guy there
- Run across the shortcut path you knock down, kill two guys with their backs turned to you
- Go along the path and you get to kill 4 mosquitoes, grab stones
- When you've killed the last one you should be just in front of the wooden wall, jump off
- Run slightly to the left, not enough to attract the Giants, you will end up on a small island where the dull gold armor is (or was if you already got it)
- Keep running straight, you will arrive at the slug nest area
- Run left and kill the 4 mosquitoes

It's the quickest way through the level IMO, the other two mosquito groups are hard to get to if you have PBWT and not worth the time or suffering if you happen to get killed trying to sneak around.

LeCapitan said:
Good advice and stuff...

Ha ha I have been doing just that for the past two days... I have my LSoS as well and Luck up to 15 (why 15? why not I have to put souls into something sometimes.) so I am hoping they will start dropping any run now.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Ha ha I have been doing just that for the past two days... I have my LSoS as well and Luck up to 15 (why 15? why not I have to put souls into something sometimes.) so I am hoping they will start dropping any run now.

It was probably the second most difficult trophy to get, second only to the Bladestone one, but I don't remember it being too difficult once I had that pattern down. Maybe a couple hours of dedicated runs.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Shiloa said:
How the hell do I kill the blobby monster boss at the bottom of this pit thing? It heals itself way too fast.

Leechmonger? He doesn't like fire, so get some turpentine / fire spells. Then learn his attack patterns. The more you stay in his attack range, the less he will spam that healing move.

LeCapitan said:
It was probably the second most difficult trophy to get, second only to the Bladestone one, but I don't remember it being too difficult once I had that pattern down. Maybe a couple hours of dedicated runs.
Yeah I got my pure bladestone without much effort in PBWT. I'll keep trying. Does the drop rate for the chunk of marrowstone increase much with PBWT? I didn't seem to notice as I was fumbling my way through the level when I was trying to take out BP Selen.

Shiloa said:
How the hell do I kill the blobby monster boss at the bottom of this pit thing? It heals itself way too fast.
Are you talking about the Adjudicator? If so he is quite weak to spells on his face. Stay up high and Soul Arrow him, if you use magic.

redhot_

Shiloa said:

If your talking about the Leech Monger, its weak to fire... upgrading a Claymore+3 to a dragon claymore helped me a few times. Another way is to get a good bow with lots of arrows and stay on the top planks(to the left) and shoot down.

Shiloa said:

Leechmonger? Use fire (spells/turpentine/dragon weapons) or attack him when he's healing (when he has a light coloured blob in his middle).

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Yeah I got my pure bladestone without much effort in PBWT. I'll keep trying. Does the drop rate for the chunk of marrowstone increase much with PBWT? I didn't seem to notice as I was fumbling my way through the level when I was trying to take out BP Selen.

I think all of the drop rates increase with PBWT. So you'll get more shards than you want, but you'll get more chunks too haha.

LeCapitan said:
I think all of the drop rates increase with PBWT. So you'll get more shards than you want, but you'll get more chunks too haha.
Looks like PBWT is in my future again...

Six more trophies till plat... Moonlightstone, Marrowstone, All unique weapons (missing 2), All rings (missing 4), Sage's trophy and saints trophy (these two as i went weapons for the souls first).

CatPee

Sorry to beg and all, but anyone in NA at around SL130 have a spare Pure Moonlightstone and Chunk/Pure Bladestone? I'm truly, truly sick of trying to farm endlessly for these, only to be disappointed every time. -_-

LeCapitan

Neo Member
CatPee said:
Sorry to beg and all, but anyone in NA at around SL130 have a spare Pure Moonlightstone and Chunk/Pure Bladestone? I'm truly, truly sick of trying to farm endlessly for these, only to be disappointed every time. -_-

I've got Moonlightstone and chunks of Bladestone, but no pure Bladestone unfortunately. I only got one and I used it already. I don't plan on getting any more. Oh yea, I'm SL120 and in NA.

CatPee said:
I have an extra pure bladestone. I need a pure moonlightstone and chunks of marrorstone. Sl 116, xenoflux2113 na psn.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
I have an extra pure bladestone. I need a pure moonlightstone and chunks of marrorstone. Sl 116, xenoflux2113 na psn.

I've actually got 2 Pure Moonlightstones, and I might have some Marrowstone chunks. I guess we should schedule a gathering.

vampiredon na psn

LeCapitan said:
I've actually got 2 Pure Moonlightstones, and I might have some Marrowstone chunks. I guess we should schedule a gathering.

vampiredon na psn
I am online now. Only place I can summon is 1-4, though.

LaB_NL

LeCapitan said:
I've got a good way to run through that level pretty quickly. You skip 2 of the groups of mosquitoes, but they're such a PITA to get to it's not worth it.

- Start at the Leechmonger archstone
- Go normally down the edge, kill the spear guy there
- Run across the shortcut path you knock down, kill two guys with their backs turned to you
- Go along the path and you get to kill 4 mosquitoes, grab stones
- When you've killed the last one you should be just in front of the wooden wall, jump off
- Run slightly to the left, not enough to attract the Giants, you will end up on a small island where the dull gold armor is (or was if you already got it)
- Keep running straight, you will arrive at the slug nest area
- Run left and kill the 4 mosquitoes

It's the quickest way through the level IMO, the other two mosquito groups are hard to get to if you have PBWT and not worth the time or suffering if you happen to get killed trying to sneak around.

You're forgetting the five mosquitos near the location of the Primeval Demon. Also make sure you have PBWT, this increases the droprate. Marrowstone is the second worst to farm imo.

I found the Asian version for €15,- mint but second hand yesterday. Quite a task to platinum this one before Dark Souls.

johntown

Banned
Going to start my run in 4-2 for a Pure Darkmoonstone. Does anyone have any tips for getting that Gecko quickly before he runs off the ledge? The one near the white bow.

If he does run off the edge do you all think I would be able to quit the game quick enough to get it to re-spawn?

johntown said:
Going to start my run in 4-2 for a Pure Darkmoonstone. Does anyone have any tips for getting that Gecko quickly before he runs off the ledge? The one near the white bow.

If he does run off the edge do you all think I would be able to quit the game quick enough to get it to re-spawn?
Just bow it from for where the dual black skeleton is standing, you can guess where it is because you can see some glow sticking out from the grass, if you dont manage to kill it with one arrow then dont worry because after it runs it'll just come back to its original spot. Although there are some rare occasion where it will fall off the cliff, but for the most part it'll just crawl back.

johntown

Banned
Shiloa said:
Thanks but what the hell is a +3 dragon claymore? I don't think I've come across any of them.
The Dragon Claymore is a two handed sword. Usually dropped by Blue Eyed Knights. If you see a Blue Eyed Knight without a shield he is using the Claymore.

So it is one those swords enhanced with fire damage from Dragonstones.

You can buy one from the merchant in 1-2 and 1-3.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
LaB_NL said:
You're forgetting the five mosquitos near the location of the Primeval Demon. Also make sure you have PBWT, this increases the droprate. Marrowstone is the second worst to farm imo.

I'm also forgetting the mosquitoes near the beginning of the level, on the wooden path past the first fog gate. In PBWT those first mosquitoes have a BP and a regular Giant Depraved One hanging out in your way, and the ones near the Primeval Demon have one BP and 2 regular Giant Depraved Ones waiting for you. Not worth wasting your time with those guys in my opinion (especially if you aggro one, because then you're almost guaranteed dead).

johntown said:

Yes. I did the quit through xmb / reload method for all the pure stones that only lizards drop. I had the lizard in 4-2 get away from me more than once.

Shiloa said:
Thanks but what the hell is a +3 dragon claymore? I don't think I've come across any of them.

Dragonstone adds fire damage to weapons. So basically it's a claymore, that someone upgraded to level 3 with Dragonstone (which you can get in Stonefang Tunnel).

So I just bought the game today, got home a few mins ago so I'll give my impressions later, bearing in mind I've been on media blackout for the most part so I know very little about the game.

Yoshichan

Ryujin said:
So I just bought the game today, got home a few mins ago so I'll give my impressions later, baring in mind I've been on media blackout for the most part so I know very little about the game.
Enjoy. Update us.

johntown

Banned
Ryujin said:
So I just bought the game today, got home a few mins ago so I'll give my impressions later, bearing in mind I've been on media blackout for the most part so I know very little about the game.
One thing that would have help me more my first time playing blind........Talk to everyone mutliple times and explore everywhere.

Yoshichan

chris-013 said:
Someone finished the game with no herb/no healing spell ? Maybe a new challenge for oracrest. :p
Em... Oracrest and I have beaten the game with SLVL 1 so it's basically a 1-hit kill (after 1-1 at least) so yeah we've pretty much already done that :)

LeCapitan said:
I'm also forgetting the mosquitoes near the beginning of the level, on the wooden path past the first fog gate. In PBWT those first mosquitoes have a BP and a regular Giant Depraved One hanging out in your way, and the ones near the Primeval Demon have one BP and 2 regular Giant Depraved Ones waiting for you. Not worth wasting your time with those guys in my opinion (especially if you aggro one, because then you're almost guaranteed dead).

When I was farming marrowstone I only went for the mosquitoes near the Primeval demon (using this method except with firespray instead of a bow). It seems like the fastest way, you can avoid all other enemies and once you're done you evacuate so you don't have to think about healing or poison as you're out so fast.

I finally got back into this after completing 3D Dot Game Heroes (yay) and giving up on Shadows Of The Damned (Boring).

I just released
Yurt, the Silent Chief
and then read the wiki about him! I better get back to the Nexus before there's no one left I guess?!

Yoshichan

Red Liquorice said:
I finally got back into this after completing 3D Dot Game Heroes (yay) and giving up on Shadows Of The Damned (Boring).

I just released
Yurt, the Silent Chief
and then read the wiki about him! I better get back to the Nexus before there's no one left I guess?!
Hurry the fuck up, don't enter and re-enter archstones :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Yoshichan said:
Hurry the fuck up, don't enter and re-enter archstones :lol

is it better to let him go, then kill him in the nexus, or just kill him right away in the level? Or does it not matter?

Red Liquorice said:

I just released
Yurt, the Silent Chief

Once you get back to Nexus he'll have killed a couple of redshirts so you don't have to rush. He will only kill other NPCs in the Nexus once you start killing demons (one NPC or group for each boss you beat, I think Sage Freke and his apprentice are first).

Yoshichan

levious said:
is it better to let him go, then kill him in the nexus, or just kill him right away in the level? Or does it not matter?
Kill him asap. Get his loot asap :)

Orayn

As of Sunday, I will be playing this game on my temporary roommate's PS3. Any suggestions for a fun melee build and some interesting challenges I can realistically complete by the end of August? Platinum-ing the game probably isn't an option, but I'd love to acquire some of the more exotic trophies.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Red Liquorice said:

I just released
Yurt, the Silent Chief

He kills one NPC for every boss you kill after you release him, so there isn't that big of a rush.

levious said:

I don't think it matters all that much, unless you release him and then continue on to kill the 3-2 boss, but the first two people he kills just show up as bodies in the nexus, he hasn't really killed anyone until the 3rd kill.

Top Bottom