• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

johntown

Banned
Red Liquorice said:
I finally got back into this after completing 3D Dot Game Heroes (yay) and giving up on Shadows Of The Damned (Boring).

I just released
Yurt, the Silent Chief
and then read the wiki about him! I better get back to the Nexus before there's no one left I guess?!
I made this mistake my first playthrough only to realize it too late. Needless to say I started the game over.

So I began playing the game today, here are my impressions.

Intro music is glorious. Ok so I started a file as a Thief, not sure if that was a good or bad idea but he seems pretty fast and agile and with the daggers seems to be able to hit enemies just before they hit you.

So I started in the Tutorial level and kind of just tried to learn the controls and stats, fought some Blue Eyes Knights who were kind of tough but I killed them anyway. Controls are a strange mix, on the one hand I find myself sometimes pressing the wrong button and there is this strange delay between some moves, some have strange start up, and yet the controls also feel very natural and I've started to get used to them.

So I made my way through the tutorial level and killed eveything in sight, then I get to this massive boss and I was like "huh? WTF??". So I try to use ranged attacks with my bow but barely put a scratch on him. He comes over and hits me once with his axe/hammer thing and I'm dead before I can switch back to my dagger. I assume it's possible to kill him as I was doing damage, and I suppose using close range/dodge pattern would have worked well and I might have gotten him, but oh well.

I'm assuming 90% of people die here on the first try anyway as now the game takes me to the Nexus where I can proceed. Although now I only have 50% HP, I'm told I can bring back my real body with enough souls....ok but how many and who do I talk to to make it happen? So I go to Boletaria? Is that right?. Liking the game so far, the message system is cool although I'm not sure how useful the bloodstain thing is seeing as you can't see WHAT killed the other guy it's a little meaningless at least so far.

Anyway so I'm in this big castle some zombie things, soldiers, archers etc... I'm pretty much stomping all over these guys without much hassle.

Found a new weapon, the armour breaker or something like that, seems like a short sword and uses a fencing/pierce style of animation/attack. Doesn't seem as good as my dagger so I switch back and put this on secondary left hand (shield being primary on left hand).

So I run up a stairs to the outside-ish area and up ahead I see a Blue Eyes Knight, don't feel like fighting him yet so go the other way and come across a guy with a spear or something? He's a bit of a prick but I beat him and the archer, so I'm happily walking along obliviously when in the distance I see a Red Eyes Knight. I think "Oh, this guy must be the same as the Blue Eyes one, there is one either way so might as well go here". Hit him with my remaining 2 or so arrows and he comes charging at me "Fuck" I say as I run away from his thrusting attack. I dodge and this fucker still tracks me and then thrusts when my roll ends...so I'm dead...again.

Also sometimes when I'm behind an enemy I do a one hit kill attack and seem to get a bonus in souls aquired.

So I'm back at the start of the level again but all my souls are gone...well that was wasted effort. I take it there is no level up system in this game so the only way to get stronger seems to be to use better equipment/items but I assume there are probably stat increase items. So rinse repeat only this time I go the other way, fight the Blue Eyes Knight...wait he can heal himself?? kill the Blue Eyes Knight, get much further, along the castle walls and what not, some guys drop down out of nowhere, firebomb them to hell.

Then ahead there is a 3 story wooden platform with archers at each story, so I make my way up, kill all 3, turn around....Blue Eyes Knight....so I'm fighting his self healing ass, dodging round like a ninja, while chipping away at him but he eventually gets me....dead again.

Back to the start AGAIN?? So now I decide to try out the parry which has contantly missed for me so far. BAM! one hit kill....NICE. Smash my way through the castle, spear guy? BAM parry 1 hit kill. Blue Eyes Knight? BAM parry one hit kill. I really like this parry. So I'm walking somewhere, a different path this time and I somehow fall off the stairs....death...again.

Also found a belt that says "Bolt" which I'm assuming has something to do with magic? Which I have no idea how to use right now. Anyway that is where I stopped playing. Enjoying the game so far, but still not sure how all the mechanics/systems work, but I'm getting there. I'm sure everything will be clear with time. Only thing annoying me is the 50% HP thing....when can I get my real body back?

johntown

Banned
The Int3rsect said:
Got this on launch day but put only 3 hours into it. I expect to change that soon. :)
I know exactly what you mean. I got the game on launch......played it for a couple of hours and could not get past 1-1.......did not touch the game again for a couple years.......when I finally started playing it again.......it was just like the title of this thread....."Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack"......and now I am having a hard time putting it down.

johntown

Banned
Ryujin said:

Intro music is glorious. Ok so I started a file as a Thief, not sure if that was a good or bad idea but he seems pretty fast and agile and with the daggers seems to be able to hit enemies just before they hit you.

So I started in the Tutorial level and kind of just tried to learn the controls and stats, fought some Blue Eyes Knights who were kind of tough but I killed them anyway. Controls are a strange mix, on the one hand I find myself sometimes pressing the wrong button and there is this strange delay between some moves, some have strange start up, and yet the controls also feel very natural and I've started to get used to them.

So I made my way through the tutorial level and killed eveything in sight, then I get to this massive boss and I was like "huh? WTF??". So I try to use ranged attacks with my bow but barely put a scratch on him. He comes over and hits me once with his axe/hammer thing and I'm dead before I can switch back to my dagger. I assume it's possible to kill him as I was doing damage, and I suppose using close range/dodge pattern would have worked well and I might have gotten him, but oh well.

I'm assuming 90% of people die here on the first try anyway as now the game takes me to the Nexus where I can proceed. Although now I only have 50% HP, I'm told I can bring back my real body with enough souls....ok but how many and who do I talk to to make it happen? So I go to Boletaria? Is that right?. Liking the game so far, the message system is cool although I'm not sure how useful the bloodstain thing is seeing as you can't see WHAT killed the other guy it's a little meaningless at least so far.

Found a new weapon, the armour breaker or something like that, seems like a short sword and uses a fencing/pierce style of animation/attack. Doesn't seem as good as my dagger so I switch back and put this on secondary left hand (shield being primary on left hand).

Anyway so I'm in this big castle some zombie things, soldiers, archers etc... I'm pretty much stomping all over these guys without much hassle.

So I run up a stairs to the outside-ish area and up ahead I see a Blue Eyes Knight, don't feel like fighting him yet so go the other way and come across a guy with a spear or something? He's a bit of a prick but I beat him and the archer, so I'm happily walking along obliviously when in the distance I see a Red Eyes Knight. I think "Oh, this guy must be the same as the Blue Eyes one, there is one either way so might as well go here". Hit him with my remaining 2 or so arrows and he comes charging at me "Fuck" I say as I run away from his thrusting attack. I dodge and this fucker still tracks me and then thrusts when my roll ends...so I'm dead...again.

Also sometimes when I'm behind an enemy I do a one hit kill attack and seem to get a bonus in souls aquired.

So I'm back at the start of the level again but all my souls are gone...well that was wasted effort. I take it there is no level up system in this game so the only way to get stronger seems to be to use better equipment/items but I assume there are probably stat increase items. So rinse repeat only this time I go the other way, fight the Blue Eyes Knight...wait he can heal himself?? kill the Blue Eyes Knight, get much further, along the castle walls and what not, some guys drop down out of nowhere, firebomb them to hell.

Then ahead there is a 3 story wooden platform with archers at each story, so I make my way up, kill all 3, turn around....Blue Eyes Knight....so I'm fighting his self healing ass, dodging round like a ninja, while chipping away at him but he eventually gets me....dead again.

Back to the start AGAIN?? So now I decide to try out the parry which has contantly missed for me so far. BAM! one hit kill....NICE. Smash my way through the castle, spear guy? BAM parry 1 hit kill. Blue Eyes Knight? BAM parry one hit kill. I really like this parry. So I'm walking somewhere, a different path this time and I somehow fall off the stairs....death...again.

Also found a belt that says "Bolt" which I'm assuming has something to do with magic? Which I have no idea how to use right now. Anyway that is where I stopped playing. Enjoying the game so far, but still not sure how all the mechanics/systems work, but I'm getting there. I'm sure everything will be clear with time. Only thing annoying me is the 50% HP thing....when can I get my real body back?
The thief is one of the hardest starting classes......good luck but if you end up having problems pick the Royalty class.

Remember if you die you need to make it back to the spot you died at last time to regain all the souls you lost. Souls = $$$

You get your body back once you have beaten the end boss of a level. Or once your further in the game......invade someone's world and kill them or use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes to regian your body anywhere.

Bolts are for a crossbow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excellent impressions Ryujin, keep'em coming :)

GL with thief ♥
Ryujin said:
Only thing annoying me is the 50% HP thing....when can I get my real body back?
Start getting used to 50% HP because that's what you'll be having 85% of the game. You're x1.5 stronger in soul form. You get to human form by using ephemeral stones or/and kill bosses.

Wallachia

Those fricking Maneaters are SLAYING me.

Also, I decided to kill Yurt near his cage, to get his armor then and there. But he fell off, and I can't find his bag of goods. Would it appear anywhere else? It's not in the decrepid pit at the bottom either..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EasyMode said:
You don't bother with the cling ring?
I don't remember last time I managed to get hit more than once and be able to survive... all my latest 4-5 characters has been experimental characters with pretty much zero vitality (and all kinds of different challenge runs). So no, cling ring is quite useless for me :lol
Wallachia said:
Also, I decided to kill Yurt near his cage, to get his armor then and there. But he fell off, and I can't find his bag of goods. Would it appear anywhere else? It's not in the decrepid pit at the bottom either..
You can either load your game and return to the place where he fell or return back to Nexus and then come back again.

Yoshichan said:
Excellent impressions Ryujin, keep'em coming :)

GL with thief ♥

Start getting used to 50% HP because that's what you'll be having 85% of the game. You're x1.5 stronger in soul form. You get to human form by using ephemeral stones or/and kill bosses.

Also keep an eye out for the Cling Ring in 1-1. Yeah theres better rings out there, but for awhile in the beginning it will really help you out, especially in newer levels where you dont know what youll be up against.

Yoshichan

JumpingTheGun said:
Also keep an eye out for the Cling Ring in 1-1.
And thieves ring. A ring that actually matters! :)

Yoshichan said:
And thieves ring. A ring that actually matters! :)

I used the Cling Ring a bunch until I acquired the Thieves Ring and the ring that increases the stamina recharge (of course that wasnt til much much later.)

Orayn

Ryujin said:

Haha, yeah. The Vanguard's not quite an unwinnable battle for a newbie, but you're definitely not expected to beat him. If you do, you get an extra soul that's used for upgrades. You still get killed and sent to the nexus, but in a rather impressive cutscene instead of by Vanguard.
Ryujin said:
Yeah, level 1 is called the Boletarian Palace. The bloodstains are mostly useful when it comes to checking out areas where you get jumped by enemies that come out of places you can't see. They also tip you off to traps.

The Red Eyes Knight is a bit of a cheap shot, since he looks and moves similar to the Blue Eyes Knights but does a lot more damage. Once you figure out how to kill him, though, he's a nice consistent source of souls and items when you're passing through. Did you investigate the area beyond that knight? If you do, be extra careful. There is more danger waiting for you.

As others have said and will say, revisiting the spot where you died lets you pick up all the souls you were carrying when that death happened. You can only leave one cache of souls behind at any given time, though.
Also, I should clarify a little: The number in the bottom right is just generic "souls," which are used for upgrading your stats and buying items. There are also inventory items called Souls, which can be used with a later NPC to upgrade gear, traded for a few things, or consumed to gain a big bunch of generic souls.
I echo the sentiments of Thief being a tough class. You've got almost no armor and a pretty dinky weapon, so you're entirely reliant on dodging, which takes a while to get good at.
You will quickly learn to fear cliffs and ledges of all sorts. When in doubt, be paranoid as hell and take care not to fall off. There are far more deadly ledges than safe ones.

ixoY1.png

Bolts are ammo for crossbows, and you'll get your body back when you kill the first boss, Phalanx.
Also, you can turn at 50% HP thing into a 75% HP thing with the Cling Ring, which is also something you can find in 1-1 if you do a little exploring. Remember, all sorts of items can show up as small glowing orbs, just like the stuff enemies drop. Keep an eye out for them wherever you go, and try navigating to them when possible.

Vitten

Ryujin said:
LONG TEXT...

So now I decide to try out the parry which has contantly missed for me so far. BAM! one hit kill....NICE. Smash my way through the castle, spear guy? BAM parry 1 hit kill. Blue Eyes Knight? BAM parry one hit kill. I really like this parry. So I'm walking somewhere, a different path this time and I somehow fall off the stairs....death...again.

You parried the red-eyed spear knight ? That's.... impressive.

Tdog987

Need some advice

So I started out as a knight
wearing old King Doran's armor
Have a purple flame shield+5
Have Winged spear +6
Have Wooden Catalyst
Have beaten bosses...
Phalanx
(1-1),
Tower Knight
(1-2), and
Armor Spider
(2-1).
Spells I have are Flame toss and souls arrow
Soul level is 45

Indv stats are

Vit: 18
Int: 18
End: 21
Str: 27
Dex: 12
Mag: 11
Faith: 11
Luck: 7

I want to balance my player out, how much magic/int should I get? I have the Fragrant ring btw.

And also any other recommendations?

Thanks...

Yoshichan

Vitten said:
You parried the red-eyed spear knight ? That's.... impressive.
Hmm he parried the blue eyed knights.

Wallachia

Fool's Idol Archstone:

So I decided to kill Yurt near his cage, to get his armor then and there. But he fell off, and I can't find his bag of goods. Would it appear anywhere else? It's not in the decrepid pit at the bottom either..

Also, those fricking Maneaters are SLAYING me.

Yoshichan

Wallachia said:
Fool's Idol Archstone:

So I decided to kill Yurt near his cage, to get his armor then and there. But he fell off, and I can't find his bag of goods. Would it appear anywhere else? It's not in the decrepid pit at the bottom either..

Also, those fricking Maneaters are SLAYING me.
Yoshichan said:
You can either load your game and return to the place where he fell or return back to Nexus and then come back again.

redhot_

Tdog987 said:
I want to balance my player out, how much magic/int should I get? I have the Fragrant ring btw.

Thanks...

To give you an idea... If you get INT to 40, you get all 6 slots. and Faith at 36 you get all four slots and as for magic, should probably get it around 30-40 if you want to still melee and just kinda have it there as a back up.

If you killed King Doran... and your melee, no reason you shouldn't be wearing his Eternal Warrior's ring.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Tdog987 said:

Thanks...

I think DEX should be your first priority.

Grinchy

Banned
Historically, I don't seem to touch a game after I get the platinum trophy. For whatever reason, I get weird urges to try new builds out with this game despite the fact that I have no trophies left to get. I want to play the game....just for the sake of playing it? What world is this.

EasyMode

Grinchy said:
Historically, I don't seem to touch a game after I get the platinum trophy. For whatever reason, I get weird urges to try new builds out with this game despite the fact that I have no trophies left to get. I want to play the game....just for the sake of playing it? What world is this.
I've been doing this too, trying a new build/theme every week or so. A fun way to kill time until Dark Souls arrives with some fresh demon's crack.

Grinchy

Banned
For a short period of time, I really enjoyed PvP, and I still remember some guy who used some kind of claws against me. He was really damn good, and whooped my ass, but it made me want to try a melee build like that. I have a playthrough going on another character to use dual moon uchigatanas but I only have 1 sword so far. Now that I have the plat maybe I'll just glitch my newer builds so I don't dread putting them together.

Orayn

Grinchy said:
I think this interview from 2009 might shed some light on your situation.
I think this is because our orientation for the game was so different. We weren’t built around cutscenes or scenario, as in so many action-RPGs. Rather, our aim was to have the player feel rewarded simply by playing the game. Not for completing a quest or finding a prize or winning loot, but simply by playing and experiencing the game.
In other words...

kV46I.png

I'm in the same boat, though I haven't bother to get the Platinum. I might do a stealthy knife/status effect build, layering on poison/acid/plague on invaders/hosts. Should be easy to create, just need some marrowstones and a few colorless souls. And my favorite toy: Kunai. :D

evilenger

I just picked up this game as well for $15. Couldn't resist and been hearing so many good things about it. Seems like a good idea to read some noob or faq guides around before going knee deep into it. Can't wait !

Orayn

evilenger said:
I just picked up this game as well for $15. Couldn't resist and been hearing so many good things about it. Seems like a good idea to read some noob or faq guides around before going knee deep into it. Can't wait !
Ryujin's story will probably have a lot of parallels to your own early experiences. Feel free to ask whatever in this thread, though.

evilenger said:
I would really try not to pick apart the mechanics on your first playthrough. It it much more engaging that way. If the game clicks you'll want to replay it about 100 times anyway :p

In defence of using Thief class - I really like the speed and quick roll that comes with it. The choice of weapons and armor is very limited, I tried on some saintly gear (I think) and tried rolling and it was like being in quicksand, I hated it. So there's + and - to all classes, but the benefits of Thief are the type of abilities I like - Me, I like speed over high strength/defence.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Grinchy said:
Same here. I've already used up two character slots and I'm going to use up another one on a spellsword. A lot of my playtime now is in pvp and co-op. Demon's Crack indeed.

So I came back to it, allot more refreshed and understanding of the battle system. Found that ring that gives me extra HP, life saver.

Found a merchant, almost killed him for a second till I realized I could talk to him, bought a few things which upped my defense and whatnot.

Turns out that weapon I found is actually really useful, you can attack from behind a shield. Only problem is that you pretty much need to be locked onto an enemy to kill them, otherwise you keep missing. Also bought a short sword as the longer ones I found the game said I didn't have enough skill to use. Short sword is damn useful, upgraded all my weapons to +1.

So anyway ripped my way through the castle, freed some guy from some enemies and he gave me a telescope for some reason, no idea what it does. When I left and came back he was just wandering around the castle killing things and if I was nearby it seems I got the souls from the dead enemies.

I think he got killed later cause I found some keys lying around which I assume were his, no idea what they open yet.

Knocked down the boulder to hit all of the guys standing in a row then cleared out the bridge while a big dragon was breathing fire at me, thought I was gonna have to fight him!

So opened the switch, went back and killed the boss. He was annoying at first but then I used that item that turns your sword to fire and I ripped into him. Now I'm back in the Nexus and the witch keeps telling me to go to the statue but when I go to the top nothing happens, there is no way to get to the statue that I can see, strange.

I'm starting to get the hang of it now, I'll keep you all posted.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Ryujin said:
So opened the switch, went back and killed the boss. He was annoying at first but then I used that item that turns your sword to fire and I ripped into him. Now I'm back in the Nexus and the witch keeps telling me to go to the statue but when I go to the top nothing happens, there is no way to get to the statue that I can see, strange.

I did not have the patience for this when I first played. Absolutely no information as to what you were supposed to do. They could have explained SOMETHING here or at least given you a hint. I looked it up on the wiki pretty quickly once I realized this wasn't something you could understand or figure out, but just had to have dumb luck to find what to do.

CatPee

Ryujin said:

Protip: The Monumental's a person, not the statue. Look for a bunch of people in white robes sitting, then look for one with a lit candle.

The wiki says
Yurt
will not show up in the Nexus until you've killed a Demon, does this mean killed a demon in the playthrough, or kill one
after you set him free?
- Because I've gone back to the Nexus, and been in and out of several levels (1-1,1-2,4-1,3-2 briefly) and he still hasn't shown up.

redhot_

Red Liquorice said:
The wiki says
Yurt
will not show up in the Nexus until you've killed a Demon, does this mean killed a demon in the playthrough, or kill one
after you set him free?
- Because I've gone back to the Nexus, and been in and out of several levels (1-1,1-2,4-1,3-2 briefly) and he still hasn't shown up.

Once hes free, same goes for all trapped npcs

redhot_ said:
Once hes free, same goes for all trapped npcs
Ahh, OK thanks I get it.

I did get to the Man Eaters fog gate after freeing him, but I was too chicken to go through! Actually this I think is making my playthrough of DS really slow because I always feel like I need to level up before going into a new area, so after getting to certain point, I'll go and grind in earlier levels I've already done just to farm grass and souls. It seems to take a long time to level up since I think I'm about lvl 50 and each level up is like 18000+ souls, which takes a good while to get (I now have the Ring of Avarice, which helps). I enjoy just playing but progress feels slooooooow.

Yoshichan

Red Liquorice said:
I enjoy just playing but progress feels slooooooow.
Sure, progressing might seem slow in the beginning... but isn't it satisfying as fuck?

redhot_

Red Liquorice said:
Ahh, OK thanks I get it.

I did get to the Man Eaters fog gate after freeing him, but I was too chicken to go through! Actually this I think is making my playthrough of DS really slow because I always feel like I need to level up before going into a new area, so after getting to certain point, I'll go and grind in earlier levels I've already done just to farm grass and souls. It seems to take a long time to level up since I think I'm about lvl 50 and each level up is like 18000+ souls, which takes a good while to get (I now have the Ring of Avarice, which helps). I enjoy just playing but progress feels slooooooow.

What i did to level up fast.. just take a dive off the top of the Nexus and go help someone as a phantom.

Yoshichan said:
Sure, progressing might seem slow in the beginning... but isn't it satisfying as fuck?
It doesn't feel like the beginning, I've had the game a couple of months and still only done 1-1,1-2,2-1,3-1,4-1!

I've just been reading up about blue eye stones, I guess I should've looked at all this stuff earlier, I knew about invading Black Phantoms, but didn't know there was co-op too. And since I'm 99% in soul form, I had wondered why I'd never been invaded! Manuals, I never read them.

RedSwirl

bone_and_sinew said:
Yes, it only takes like 5 seconds to connect and if it doesn't connect a prompt says something like "unable to find server, now playing offline mode, press ok" and that's it. You can do everything in the game offline, the only thing you'll be missing is the Monk's Head Wrap as it's only obtainable by a special event online. The item itself is meaningless unless you're a magic user.

I really recommend playing it online though, the experience is far more memorable and unique.

I've had to rely on co-op buddies to beat the last two bosses, so yeah.

Tdog987 said:
Question...

Can I only be invaded if I'm in full body form?
Yep, and only in levels you have not completed.

LeCapitan said:
It seems like all my CO-OP buddies disappeared once I got to NG+ :(
Co-op and invasions don't factor in NG+, so you might just be in a level limbo where there are not that many available players in range to summon. I've been in NG8 at level 55ish and can still summon peeps.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
macuser1of5 said:
Co-op and invasions don't factor in NG+, so you might just be in a level limbo where there are not that many available players in range to summon. I've been in NG8 at level 55ish and can still summon peeps.

SL55 in NG+8? Wth!?

survivor

Banned
So I started playing this game yesterday starting with Temple Knight. I was doing pretty well in the first world, but then I think I got disconnected from the server or something since I just got booted out of the game.

But anyway, since I haven't gotten far in the game I was thinking my class. If I want something that is similar to the mage from Dragon Age, I'm guessing the Royal class is the one I need to pick right?

Top Bottom