• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

survivor said:
So I started playing this game yesterday starting with Temple Knight. I was doing pretty well in the first world, but then I think I got disconnected from the server or something since I just got booted out of the game.

But anyway, since I haven't gotten far in the game I was thinking my class. If I want something that is similar to the mage from Dragon Age, I'm guessing the Royal class is the one I need to pick right?
Classes are basically starting stats and gear. You can 'retweak' your character when upgrading etc. But yeah, if you want to start out magic-heavy, pick the royal.

Bollocks

My copy just got delivered, before I jump in, which class would you choose?
Royality
Temple Knight
Soldier
Knight

My money is on Royality cause that seems to reflect my preferred play style, close range/ranged attacks with some magic mixed in?!

I know when you die, you carry over items, do you also carry over some sort of experience or is everything dependent on souls?

Also do enemies also level up?

CatPee

Bollocks said:
My copy just got delivered, before I jump in, which class would you choose?
Royality
Temple Knight
Soldier
Knight

My money is on Royality cause that seems to reflect my preferred play style, close range/ranged attacks with some magic mixed in?!

I know when you die, you carry over items, do you also carry over some sort of experience or is everything dependent on souls?

Also do enemies also level up?

Go with Royalty for your first time. Souls are both the currency and the XP. When you die, you restart back at the beginning of the level with all enemies except unnamed Black Phantoms respawned and a bloodstain containing the souls you had at the time that you can touch to regain the souls. Die again and you lose them permanently. As for enemy level scaling, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they do since the weaker enemies seem to dish out higher damage to your health bar compared to when you first play the game.

Bollocks

Am I supposed to go somewhere once I come to the nexus? There's no portal or anything, run the stairs up and down even killed myself, nope, still in the nexus :/
I also spent 30min at the character screen, I made myself a Christina Hendricks doppelganger, I think she will do the job :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bollocks said:
Am I supposed to go somewhere once I come to the nexus? There's no portal or anything, run the stairs up and down even killed myself, nope, still in the nexus :/
I also spent 30min at the character screen, I made myself a Christina Hendricks doppelganger, I think she will do the job :D
There are archstones you can enter...

The large stela-like stones that line the inner stairs are the entrances to all 5 worlds. It's suggested you started with the first one on the left, where the blue glowing guy is sitting, Boletaria Castle, but you can enter any of the first areas of each world right from the start.

Have fun!

johntown

Banned
Going for my Pure Bladestone and I am just wondering what people who have gotten the stone had their Luck stat at? Mine is currently 15......should I raise it? Should I combine that with the Large Sword or Searching? Yes I am at PBWT.

LaB_NL

johntown said:
Going for my Pure Bladestone and I am just wondering what people who have gotten the stone had their Luck stat at? Mine is currently 15......should I raise it? Should I combine that with the Large Sword or Searching? Yes I am at PBWT.

LSoS or Luck doesn't influence droprate. My first PBS (NTSC) dropped within 15 minutes of farming and my second one (PAL) took me about 115 runs. So I've been quite lucky as the droprate is 1/200.

In other news, I've 'completed' my collection:

Jna2A.jpg
4tJym.jpg

UcWmR.jpg

So I played more yesterday, before I even realized it was 2am. How did that happen??

So I tried going to 1-2 after beating the boss I assumed you had to clear all the world 1 stages before progressing. Killed those shield slime guys and whatnot. Went out to the bridge and THERE'S A GIANT DRAGON SPRAYING FIRE AHHHHHHHHH!

So I manage to make it to the first outpost along the way, kill some guys and someone gets me from behind, damn. Dead again. Rinse repeat only this time I don't die and collect my old souls.

So I decide to drop my soul signature or whatever it's called to get summoned into someone else's game. It worked! And was kind of fun. So killing some wolves and progressing, but I realize I have no healing items and about 5%HP. So I exit and make my way back with my souls....only to be killed by the dragon again just in front of the doorway. So rinse repeat I go back to collect my souls....dead just before I get them.

So I say screw this I'll go to stage 1 of the next world. But I think I accidentally choose world 3. So walking around a prison, seems ok then suddenly WTF is this shit??? Some strange looking monsters start blasting me with all kinds of projectile magic.....dead. Haha. Not going back there for a while.

In the meantime I've powered up some of my stats a little. Still have no magic though and no idea how to use it. So I go to world 2-1. I like this place. Enemies seem to be weak against piercing attacks so they are not too much hassle. Also they seem to drop all kinds of stones, after going through this place a few times I have tons of stones of all kinds.

So I see a magician guy, kinda fat and keeps laughing at me. I say "Ok...I'm gonna smash this guy". Not so, it seems he has uber fire magic. Dead. Get back to the same spot, this time dodge like crazy and kill him. Progress further through the stage and activate the lift so now I have a shortcut to later in the level.

Also didn't even notice but it turns out I found a pickaxe, brass knuckles, winged speak, some shield and a few other trinkets along the way. Only noticed when I looked in my inventory. I'm really getting the hang of the game now.

Got further in and passed the rock throwing guys, now I have to fight some crazy fire salamanders. These guys are a pain in the balls, hard to hit and if you touch them massive fire damage. So I get killed and then make my way back to collect my souls, then I high tail it back to the Nexus to up my stats a little.

This game now owns my soul, really getting into it now. I left out allot of things and a few deaths haha but that is the gist of what I remember from last night. Oh also talked to the other blacksmith. Quick question, it seems you can only summon other players into your game when you are in your real body....correct?

I'll give more impressions later.

The Royal class makes me feel like I am cheating at times. Then I get killed by a pack of dogs and I wish I had the strength to swing a club. Still, I was able to do a no death run of 2-1 on my first try and I felt exceedingly proud of that. I spent a few hours in the tunnels of 2-2 before leaving with out finding the boss, and now I've been testing the waters in the other worlds.

Is there a suggested playing order?

The prison level scared me, because I can look down several flights and see the patrolling dementors.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Anslon said:
The Royal class makes me feel like I am cheating at times. Then I get killed by a pack of dogs and I wish I had the strength to swing a club. Still, I was able to do a no death run of 2-1 on my first try and I felt exceedingly proud of that. I spent a few hours in the tunnels of 2-2 before leaving with out finding the boss, and now I've been testing the waters in the other worlds.

The prison level scared me, because I can look down several flights and see the patrolling dementors.

I'd suggest you either go for 1-2 or 4-1 next. I'd suggest 3-1, but you seem intimidated by it, so get a few soul levels in before you do that. Stay away from 5 until you've at least done 3-1.

Orayn

Glad to hear you're having fun Ryujin. And yes, you can only summon Blue Phantoms when you're in body form, and you can only be summoned as a Blue Phantom while in soul form. I don't know if it's happened to you yet, but body form also lets other players invade your game as Black Phantoms.

johntown

Banned
Anslon said:

Well the way I usually go is 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 1-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3 and then 1-4.

johntown

Banned
LaB_NL said:
LSoS or Luck doesn't influence droprate. My first PBS (NTSC) dropped within 15 minutes of farming and my second one (PAL) took me about 115 runs. So I've been quite lucky as the droprate is 1/200.

So you telling me if I am very unlucky I will have to make 200 runs to get it?

So I decided to go back to 1-1 and get some of the things I missed. Found a thieves ring but no idea why it's supposed to be so useful. Found a few more items then went to where the 2 dragons are nesting.

Grabbed as many items as I could, all but 2. Found a flame resistant ring, handy. Upped my stats a bit more. Talked to some NPCs in Nexus and figured out how to learn spells and miracles. But still haven't learned any yet.

Went back to 2-1 and made my way through, beat the salamanders by mostly using ranged attacks. Turned the switch to knock off the flames and proceeded ahead. Found a poison resistance ring, but so far nobody has poisoned me and as a thief I have strong resistance to poison anyway.

Made my way to a fog entrance blocked by one of those laughing mages again. I still have no idea what they are weak against. Tried different weapon types but to no avail, tried a fire bomb, small damage. Got killed, enchanted my weapon and tried again, not much difference in damage but a bit better, finally kill him and move on.

Turn the switch to the lift to fight the boss of 2-1.
He's a giant spider and he kicks my ass, no idea how to fight him, think I'll need some spells.
So I'm dead again haha.

But at least now I should be able to make my way to him fairly quickly in future. Still haven't tried to take on a Red Eyes Knight in 1-1. After getting trounced the last time I'm gonna wait till I'm stronger before attempting that again.

Zoe

Ryujin said:
So I decided to go back to 1-1 and get some of the things I missed. Found a thieves ring but no idea why it's supposed to be so useful.

Makes it harder for enemies to notice you.

johntown

Banned
Ryujin said:
So I decided to go back to 1-1 and get some of the things I missed. Found a thieves ring but no idea why it's supposed to be so useful.
It is useful because it makes all enemies less aware of your presence. Without the ring equipped you can maybe get 20 - 30 steps from a Red Eyed Knight before it starts to chase you. With the theives rings equipped you get within 10-15 steps.....which allows you to lockon to a target and at least get one shot in before they attack you.

EasyMode

I pretty much always wear the Theif's Ring except in most boss fights. There's a certain world where the ring is pretty much essential.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
is there any easy way to verify if ostrava is already dead in my game? I beat 1-1 and 1-2 a long time ago and I just don't remember interacting with him. Can you miss your chance to unlock him in the nexus?

johntown

Banned
levious said:
is there any easy way to verify if ostrava is already dead in my game? I beat 1-1 and 1-2 a long time ago and I just don't remember interacting with him. Can you miss your chance to unlock him in the nexus?
Yep....if you missed rescuing him in any level he is gone for good once you beat that level.

johntown

Banned
EasyMode said:
I pretty much always wear the Theif's Ring except in most boss fights. There's a certain world where the ring is pretty much essential.
Really? I know of at least 2 boss fights wear the ring helps out a lot.

Ryujin said:
Turn the switch to the lift to fight the boss of 2-1.
He's a giant spider and he kicks my ass, no idea how to fight him, think I'll need some spells.
So I'm dead again haha.
I used
soul arrow to take him down. I found that my shield really reduced the damage I took from his fire bombs. If you roll into the wall, I think you get stuck with the slow web stuff, and that doesn't let you block very well. I closed into mid rage and fired after he did his attack. I was also alive so I had more HP and thats probably why I was able to kill him on my first try.

As for my progress, I've beaten 1-1,1-2, and 2-1. I tried out the "summon some help" on 1-2 and it was really great. The size of that thing was really intimidating. I got the thief ring when I killed a guy who wanted me to walk into a death trap. He kinda had it coming. I've also killed an acolyte because he begged to be punished. I don't care if it messes up my game. I feel like a freakin bad ass.

EasyMode

Anslon said:
I got the thief ring when I killed a guy who wanted me to walk into a death trap. He kinda had it coming. I've also killed an acolyte because he begged to be punished. I don't care if it messes up my game. I feel like a freakin bad ass.
Awesome, where's that :lol smiley?

evilenger

Orayn said:
Ryujin's story will probably have a lot of parallels to your own early experiences. Feel free to ask whatever in this thread, though.

Thanks will do. Gonna try to do what I can first and if I get stuck, hit this thread for any tips/help.

cj_iwakura

Anslon said:
I used
soul arrow to take him down. I found that my shield really reduced the damage I took from his fire bombs. If you roll into the wall, I think you get stuck with the slow web stuff, and that doesn't let you block very well. I closed into mid rage and fired after he did his attack. I was also alive so I had more HP and thats probably why I was able to kill him on my first try.

As for my progress, I've beaten 1-1,1-2, and 2-1. I tried out the "summon some help" on 1-2 and it was really great. The size of that thing was really intimidating. I got the thief ring when I killed a guy who wanted me to walk into a death trap. He kinda had it coming. I've also killed an acolyte because he begged to be punished. I don't care if it messes up my game. I feel like a freakin bad ass.

Problem with that is, he becomes a vendor that sells you the best arrows in the game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
johntown said:
Luck has no influence on that, I had my luck at 25 and it took me two days of farming to get it. One of my friends and my bf got it on their first playthrough from the dual katana skeleton in the hidden passage, on neutral world tendency. I had to get my world tendency to pure black and travel backwards from old hero's archstone to the black phantom dual katana skeleton, and do this over and over and over and OVER!! :\

cj_iwakura

Let's pimp our characters, shall we? Forgive the cam-pics.

My first, Magician:

IMG_6433.jpg

NG++. Miss Umbasa here has forsaken her vows to Urbain, and joined a real warrior instead.

My second, Alice (Temple Knight):

IMG_6436.jpg

She'll smile in your face, then crush your skull with her DBS.

And my third, Elisabeth(Royalty)

IMG_6434.jpg

She's here to get ish done. (Meaning get me the rest of the trophies.)

Ugg, well maybe Im missing something..

if its my first playthrough... I can go from 1-1 to 2-1?

When I go the portal all I see is the Castle archstore and then Phalanx archstone..

am I missing something..?

Im SL like 14 and I keep dying with the tower knight @ like 20% and then I go into a fit of rage and stop playing.

Im determined to beat this before the next one!

Also, how do I get summoned to another game world to revive? Not sure how to revive without using a stone.

One strange thing....I rescued that guy who gave me his telescope and I think he appeared in the Nexus then. But then when I came back he was gone and he was no longer in Boletaria either. Did my game glitch or is that supposed to happen?

Also I bought soul arrow and fire magic but I have no idea how to use them....am I missing something?

johntown

Banned
NarcissisticJay said:

When I go the portal all I see is the Castle archstore and then Phalanx archstone..

Im SL like 14 and I keep dying with the tower knight @ like 20% and then I go into a fit of rage and stop playing.

Also, how do I get summoned to another game world to revive? Not sure how to revive without using a stone.
There are multiple portals for different world. You are only looking at area 1. Futher up the stairs next to it is area 2 and as you go around 3,4 and 5.

You have to put down a Blue Stone and then you can get summoned if someone is close to your soul level in that level and requests assistance.

EasyMode

NarcissisticJay said:

You can go to 2-1. In the nexus, use the archstone to the right of the one you've been using. To get summoned, use the Blue Eye Stone in your inventory when in soul form. If you and the host beat the boss, you'll get your body back.

Ryujin said:
One strange thing....I rescued that guy who gave me his telescope and I think he appeared in the Nexus then. But then when I came back he was gone and he was no longer in Boletaria either. Did my game glitch or is that supposed to happen?

Also I bought soul arrow and fire magic but I have no idea how to use them....am I missing something?
He's probably in 1-2. You'll need to find a Catalyst to use magic. There's a few lying around.

johntown

Banned
Ryujin said:

No glitch.....you will see him there eventually.

You need a catalyst equipped to use magic and if I remember correctly you choose a thief which does not start with a catalyst.

CatPee

Ryujin said:

You need a Catalyst equipped to be able to use spells, and a Talisman to use miracles. Ostrava appears in the later stages of the Boletarian Castle.

NarcissisticJay said:

There are more archstones in the Nexus than that one. They each lead to a separate world. I wouldn't recommend tackling Tower Knight at SL14. To get summoned, you need to be in soul form and have the Blue Eye stone that you get from the Maiden In Black after beating Phalanx, then leave a Blue Soul Sign using it. If you manage to help the player who summoned you beat the boss of that stage, you get revived. Once you kill a Black Phantom (whether an invading one or an unnamed in-game one), they'll drop a Black Eye Stone that you can use to invade others' worlds and hunt them down to revive.

survivor

Banned
So I just beat 1-1 and 2-1 boss with Royal class. I realized I can learn spells. Are there any spells I should get now in the early stages or should I stick with Soul Arrows?

johntown

Banned
survivor said:
So I just beat 1-1 and 2-1 boss with Royal class. I realized I can learn spells. Are there any spells I should get now in the early stages or should I stick with Soul Arrows?
Get the Flame Toss......will be more useful than Soul Arrow in some levels.

Ok so I've been playing for ages today, perhaps too long because I have a really bad headache now.

So I finally got a catalyst and can now use magic, bought soul arrow and fire toss or whatever it's called. Went down and managed to beat the boss of 2-1 using Soul Arrow, but his
webs
are a real pain.

So after I kill him I get my real body back and I see a guys soul sign so I pull him into my game and we proceed, at this stage we are decending into 2-2 and I realize I have 7000 souls and have not gone back to the nexus. Oh crap if I die I lose all that work! But there's no way back up now! Damn....just have to keep going now....luckily the other guy is pretty strong.

We keep going and then we get to the next boss, the
Flame Demon boss
. So we both start laying into him with Soul Arrow and dodging like a ninja. Finally him too (It was mostly the other guy though). So 2 bosses in a row...not bad at all.

So I get the stone from him, return to the nexus with 25000 souls and start upping my stats as much as I can. I realize I didn't get the stone from the second boss so I warp back, get the stone and get out.

So I decide to try out 3-1. Shortly into it 2 guys join my game and we are doing well. A black phantom joins but one of my pals owns him so I'm happy enough. Ugh...so many samey looking rooms and corridoors and shortcuts etc...

So I find a guy with a beard asking to be set free but I don't have the key, so off we go for another lengthy wander. We eventually find a giant arrow machine and I get the missing keys but am too chicken to try for the rest of the items.

We keep going, unlock more shortcuts and at this stage I have no idea where anything even leads anymore. We find a female shop keeper and later a dude meditating, but I don't have his key.

So I get killed by a stray...bell..guy...maneater? No idea what their called. So I'm back at the start but alone now. Start trying to find the beard guy to unlock his cage, but for some reason I can't seem to find where to go and I keep getting killed by those bell guys...over...and over....and over.....and over....and over.....man...fuck those guys..seriously. So I've lost all my precious souls now and STILL haven't found the guy with the beard, it's like I'm running in circles.

Also at some stage I found some armour on the ground, picked it up and some of it was fine but then some said I couldn't carry, overburdened. So I drop some crap I don't need but then it seems the extra pieces I hadn't picked up are gone now...that's strange.

Now this level and those guys lighting attacks have seriously pissed me off, most annoying enemy ever. Also what is up with the unarmed guys you free? They just run around annoying you and getting in the way of lock on/dodge. Plus they sometimes have items so I just kill them all now. Is there some reason I should let them live?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Ryujin said:
Also at some stage I found some armour on the ground, picked it up and some of it was fine but then some said I couldn't carry, overburdened. So I drop some crap I don't need but then it seems the extra pieces I hadn't picked up are gone now...that's strange.

You should move to a different spot before dropping stuff, otherwise the stuff you drop will sit right on top of the stuff you want to pick up. The stuff you wanted to pick up was probably still there but that stuff you dropped was in the way.

Ryujin said:
Now this level and those guys lighting attacks have seriously pissed me off, most annoying enemy ever. Also what is up with the unarmed guys you free? They just run around annoying you and getting in the way of lock on/dodge. Plus they sometimes have items so I just kill them all now. Is there some reason I should let them live?

You don't get anything for letting them live except some moral satisfaction (just kill them).

tip for the flayers (octopus head dudes with the robes and the glowing bells):

you don't want to get spotted by them because they will fuck your day up if they get the jump on you. learn their patrol paths and locations and get the first strike (preferably an R2 strike) and kill them before they get up. don't try to kill them with ranged attacks because their soul arrows do a ton of damage and they fire them faster than you can. using a large weapon (dragon bone smasher, meat cleaver, weapons that can knock over enemies with blows) really helps against them in my opinion. if they spot you, run away and let them disengage so you don't have to spend a bunch of potions healing yourself.

LeCapitan said:
You should move to a different spot before dropping stuff, otherwise the stuff you drop will sit right on top of the stuff you want to pick up. The stuff you wanted to pick up was probably still there but that stuff you dropped was in the way.

Well the strange part was that even the items I dropped didn't seem to appear on the ground, just strange all round.

survivor

Banned
World 3-1 been pissing me so much. I fell to the same hole on the first floor twice. God damn it. And those monsters that use magic aren't that easy either now that I'm half health.

Ill Saint

When it comes to the flayers, I always wait until they have their back to me before engaging with them. Thieves ring helps a lot.

Orayn

NarcissisticJay said:
Thanks for the responses guys.. one last question.. how do I get someone to join my game to help me?

Also, can I sell items anywhere?
Look around for blue eye stones while you're in body form. If you touch them, you can summon people who are currently in soul form to help you.

No item selling. Just give stuff to Stockpile Thomas if you don't need it.

LaB_NL

NarcissisticJay said:
Thanks for the responses guys.. one last question.. how do I get someone to join my game to help me?

When in body form you can see and activate blue soul signs on the floor and summon a player to your world. You can also leave a soul sign so you yourself can be summoned by another player.

Check the eye stones section of the wiki.

NarcissisticJay said:

Nope, you can store stuff with Stockpile Thomas but that's it. No selling in this game.

On the other hand large quantities of souls are easy to find when you get into the game.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
NarcissisticJay said:

The closest thing to selling something is being able to trade certain items to Sparkly the Crow for other items in return.

survivor said:
World 3-1 been pissing me so much. I fell to the same hole on the first floor twice. God damn it. And those monsters that use magic aren't that easy either now that I'm half health.

If you get overly frustrated, you can watch how I did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vnfouXskc

Top Bottom