• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

LeCapitan

Neo Member
LaB_NL said:
Nice! How did you record this?

281xx15.jpg

+

e9tbt3.png

+

Audacity / Adobe Premiere Elements 9 / Blood / Sweat / Tears

I just had a hilarious moment of justice in PVP. I dropped my red soul sign in 4-1 and when I was summoned 3 BP hunters were waiting for me. I didn't even get the chance to bow before one of them hit me with soul ray, so I dodged their attacks and ran past them and up the steps before the first fog gate. Once I got to the top I turned the corner and saw them chasing behind me so I cast God's Wrath and insta-killed one of the blue phantoms and knocked the host over the cliiff, which I only realized when the "Target was destroyed " message came up. I really wish I had a PVR to record moments like that.

BTW Oracrest and Capitan, I'd love to see you do a Let's Play with commentary for your first playthrough of Dark Souls.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
electroshockwave said:
BTW Oracrest and Capitan, I'd love to see you do a Let's Play with commentary for your first playthrough of Dark Souls.

Edit: I'm dumb. Yes I will be doing that :D Can't wait!

kizmah

Finally caved in and got this game. Spent about two hours with it last night and it's exactly as I expected. Challenging but fun as hell. Looking forward to have my ass handed to me when I get further ahead.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
oracrest said:
Feels good!

I have to say, NG+3 was a little tough without any Blue Phantom help! I got killed twice by some punks in 3-3. When I was pitted against mages, no problem. Then I have to fight a Mirdan hammer guy and a Northern Regalia guy back to back and get my butt kicked lol.

CatPee

shagg_187 said:
I always wanted to play this game, but the talks of servers being closed discouraged me. I have Dark Souls preordered and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

It's ~$15 used everywhere online and servers are guaranteed to be up at least until October. There's no excuse and no better game to prepare you for Dark Souls. You'll get waaaayyyy more than your money's worth.

oracrest

shagg_187 said:
I always wanted to play this game, but the talks of servers being closed discouraged me. I have Dark Souls preordered and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Demon's Souls has some of the best single player game out there, with some incredibly innovative and experimental aspects of multiplayer...

but if you could only have just one... still worth it.

Bollocks

Yoshichan said:
There are archstones you can enter...
haha, I don't know how I could possibly have missed that :D

Anyway the game is actually really cool, as said earlier I was never really a fan of RPG games but this is different.
Everything I thought I'd normally hate I love. I don't mind the excessive overwhelming info at the items menu, though I have yet to figure most of that stuff out. I don't mind doing reruns to level up a bit (never thought I would say that!) and I don't mind the little info the game gives you as to what item is best or what you should do next, you just have to figure it out on your own.
I'm still unsure about the death system, hope it will not kill my interest in the long run because so far I'm pretty stoked about it.
Chances are there's a new RPG player in the making :D (took me long enough)

oracrest

Bollocks said:
haha, I don't know how I could possibly have missed that :D

Anyway the game is actually really cool, as said earlier I was never really a fan of RPG games but this is different.
Everything I thought I'd normally hate I love. I don't mind the excessive overwhelming info at the items menu, though I have yet to figure most of that stuff out. I don't mind doing reruns to level up a bit (never thought I would say that!) and I don't mind the little info the game gives you as to what item is best or what you should do next, you just have to figure it out on your own.
I'm still unsure about the death system, hope it will not kill my interest in the long run because so far I'm pretty stoked about it.
Chances are there's a new RPG player in the making :D (took me long enough)

This reminds me, I want to put together a small video set of "spoiler-lite" videos explaining some of the basic systems, and common misconceptions, for new players.

This game's reputation precedes it!

LaB_NL

Anslon said:
I've been looking to record some of my gaming. Can you name some of the hardware you showed in the pics?

LeCapitan should be able to answer that. I don't own any recording equipment.

shagg_187 said:
Go for it. As others have said the value is top-notch and the servers will still be up for a few more months. It will help prepare you for DkS and another casualty to DeS is never a bad thing :) You've deprived yourself long enough!

If anything the game is testament to the creative process and ending result. For me it brings back great memories of games meant to challenge both physical skill and imagination. It's just so fucking good and I would hate for anyone to not experience it regardless of planning to play DkS or not. There is still time to get that "fresh" experience, like you stumbled upon some sort of gaming anomaly...

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Anslon said:
I've been looking to record some of my gaming. Can you name some of the hardware you showed in the pics?

Hauppauge HD PVR - $180 on amazon

The other thing is just a crappy Logitech headset.

Obviously I've got a computer in the mix as well.

survivor

Banned
Good lord did I hate 3-1. It's like the more I play it, the worse I get. But after struggling and yelling, and control throwing, I finally managed to beat it. The boss was extremely annoying since trying to lock-on to her was hard.

Anyway I rescued the Sage and now he is offering to teach me 2 new spells, Soul Ray and Fire Spray. Are they worth learning for Royal class? He is asking for a Demon's Soul and I don't know if I can use them for something better or just learn the spells.

CatPee

survivor said:
Good lord did I hate 3-1. It's like the more I play it, the worse I get. But after struggling and yelling, and control throwing, I finally managed to beat it. The boss was extremely annoying since trying to lock-on to her was hard.

Anyway I rescued the Sage and now he is offering to teach me 2 new spells, Soul Ray and Fire Spray. Are they worth learning for Royal class? He is asking for a Demon's Soul and I don't know if I can use them for something better or just learn the spells.

Soul Ray is one of the most useful spells you can learn.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
survivor said:
Are they worth learning for Royal class?

The only soul you'll possibly want to save for later, being a mage, is the
yellow demon's soul
, which you can use to make the
insanity catalyst.

survivor

Banned
LeCapitan said:
The only soul you'll possibly want to save for later, being a mage, is the
yellow demon's soul
, which you can use to make the
insanity catalyst.
Thanks.

BTW I was just playing 4-1 and it said a black phantom has invaded me. I know it's an online player, but aren't they supposed to be killing me? Cause for the 5 mins he was there he was just helping me kill the enemies.

EasyMode

survivor said:
Thanks.

BTW I was just playing 4-1 and it said a black phantom has invaded me. I know it's an online player, but aren't they supposed to be killing me? Cause for the 5 mins he was there he was just helping me kill the enemies.
Yeah, they are supposed to kill you, but some BPs are just nice guys :)

Yeah, every so often I will invade and come across someone who is obviously not prepared at all for that kind of event (rocking starting equip, for instance). I usually just kill things and dodge the host's attacks until the get the idea, or just drop all my gear and quit :D Sometimes even after I clear the world out they still chase me down for some reason though.

LeCapitan said:
Show a pic :D

ej8cl.jpg

This dropped in my inbox about 10 minutes after my second invasion in Mr. Blumpkin's world, so you can tell he spent a lot of time crafting this missive. lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, hahahhahahaha

Went back to the game today refreshed and ready for more. Made my way through most of 3-1 fairly easily now. Good advice on attacking those flayers from behind and using thief's ring, damn handy. Now I smoke those guys no hassle.

I've upped my stats a bit more, and now I have "3" safer fall and things like that. Killed the giant floating...ball thing that shoots soul arrows, he gives about 1000 souls so that was nice.

So progressed through and turned off the giant arrow machine, explored a bit, found some guy who told me he wouldn't interfere and to let him live...but everyone's messages said he was a liar and to kill him, so I figured he aids the boss during the fight or something so I just killed him.

Got the keys, went over the other side and got a silver catalyst I think...which is actually weaker at magic than the wooden one...that was pointless. Also found a small rapier which steals MP from enemies.

So I try to go forward but there is a Black Phantom there who is hella strong blocking the front gate of the church, no idea if I can even hurt him so I just run away with all my souls. I think maybe I have to just run past him, but then if I do the big door might be locked or something and then I'm screwed.

Freed Sage Freke, he says he can teach me strong spells in exchange for boss souls. I'm keeping them for now in case some other use for them appears. Upped my weapons a bit and fixed my armour/weapons.

Also before I took on 3-1 I tried my hand at 1-2 for a bit. Progressed a good bit in, met a merchant again. Killed some wolves...you really need a rapier type weapon for them and get them from behind the shield. Progressed up to a fog gate where there were loads of archers and 2 Blue Eyes Knights, got killed there and figured meh, off to 3-1 for a bit.

So basically I'm not sure if I can hurt the black phantom in front of the church of if I should just run past and go into the church. I'm gonna try running and see what happens.

Again, the more I play the more I understand. Also found the hidden gesture menu by holding down X.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
macuser1of5 said:
Yeah, every so often I will invade and come across someone who is obviously not prepared at all for that kind of event (rocking starting equip, for instance). I usually just kill things and dodge the host's attacks until the get the idea, or just drop all my gear and quit :D Sometimes even after I clear the world out they still chase me down for some reason though.

ej8cl.jpg

This dropped in my inbox about 10 minutes after my second invasion in Mr. Blumpkin's world, so you can tell he spent a lot of time crafting this missive. lol.
<3 Demon's Souls community (not me)

zyEIN.jpg

Vitten

TBH it is somewhat cheap to invade at low sl with ubergear. At that stage your weapons make such a huge diference that you don't stand any chance if you're still using your only slightly upgraded starting equipment.

Yeah, I keep my dickery to 50+. Generates plenty of meltdowns and rage. I wish I kept the ones where some dude said I was hacking because my arrows went through his blocking kris blade or whatever.

Completed 3-1, just ran past the black phantom. Boss was pretty easy, I found. Was in real body form but nobody seems to want to drop a soul sign these days.

Then went to 2-1 and stocked up on some stones, I keep failing to kill that lizard before he falls off a cliff.

So back to 1-2 and I keep getting up to the 2 Blue Eyes Knights, but it seems they've been uber powered when it comes to attack power. Massive chunks of HP gone, can't seem to dodge his attack anymore and for some reason my game won't lock onto him for some reason....yeah... dead again....

So this happens like 5 times and I still can't get anyone to join my game. Gave up for now as I kept dying the same way, stupid attack power boosted Blue Eyes.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ryujin said:
Completed
So back to 1-2 and I keep getting up to the 2 Blue Eyes Knights, but it seems they've been uber powered when it comes to attack power. Massive chunks of HP gone, can't seem to dodge his attack anymore and for some reason my game won't lock onto him for some reason....yeah... dead again....

So this happens like 5 times and I still can't get anyone to join my game. Gave up for now as I kept dying the same way, stupid attack power boosted Blue Eyes.
Make them chase you until before the enclosure with the stairs. When they walk back to their posts the dragon will roast them.

survivor

Banned
So after a million tries of randomly dying to those rolling skeletons I finally managed to beat 4-1. The boss wasn't that difficult to face, the problem was that I died twice while climbing down the stairs leading to him.

Just a quick question since I still have no idea how the stats work. I have Crescent Falchion + 1 equipped right now. I noticed that it's doing a lot of damage, however I only have 9 in strength. Is this weapon somehow using my magic stats instead?

Reilly

survivor said:
Just a quick question since I still have no idea how the stats work. I have Crescent Falchion + 1 equipped right now. I noticed that it's doing a lot of damage, however I only have 9 in strength. Is this weapon somehow using my magic stats instead?

I believe so, also, different weapon types (bash, slash, pierce, etc) do more or less damage depending on the enemies' weakness.

Kalnos

Banned
survivor said:
So after a million tries of randomly dying to those rolling skeletons I finally managed to beat 4-1. The boss wasn't that difficult to face, the problem was that I died twice while climbing down the stairs leading to him.

Crescent

Magic damage added; primarily modified by Magic stat. Minor MP regen.

survivor

Banned
Ah I see. I thought Crescent was part of the name and not an enhanced ability name. Now it makes sense why I was doing pretty good damage with it. Thanks

Ill Saint

Ryujin said:
Went back to the game today refreshed and ready for more. Made my way through most of 3-1 fairly easily now. Good advice on attacking those flayers from behind and using thief's ring, damn handy. Now I smoke those guys no hassle.
Glad it helped. Sounds like you're doing very well on your first run. Keep at it!

Bollocks

Have just beat Phalanx, jumped straight to soul level 10, went to 1-2 and almost got killed by the dragon cause I tried to pick up some stuff, the dogs in the end killed me. If it wasn't so late already I would keep on playing, this is such a great game.

Think I will farm a little till I go back to the dogs, I'm still rocking my starting equipment :/

I'm really thankful that I chose the Royality class otherwise I would have never made it past the bridge in 1-1, there were a dozen enemies and a dragon circling so I used my magic spell ran up to them released a spell from safe distance and ran back in time, rinse and repeat, took me about 20min to clear the bridge :D

Orayn

Bollocks said:
Have just beat Phalanx, jumped straight to soul level 10, went to 1-2 and almost got killed by the dragon cause I tried to pick up some stuff, the dogs in the end killed me. If it wasn't so late already I would keep on playing, this is such a great game.

Think I will farm a little till I go back to the dogs, I'm still rocking my starting equipment :/

I'm really thankful that I chose the Royality class otherwise I would have never made it past the bridge in 1-1, there were a dozen enemies and a dragon circling so I used my magic spell ran up to them released a spell from safe distance and ran back in time, rinse and repeat, took me about 20min to clear the bridge :D
The dogs are a bit of a pain when you're first starting out, as they tend to sneak up and mob you, but the individuals aren't very strong. Beating them is mostly a matter of not getting surprised. Also, be on the lookout for a merchant and Ostrava in those tunnels, while you're tackling 1-2.

Top Bottom