• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 Reportedly Cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update:

destiny-3-payback-canceled-1-860x484.webp

Bungie has reportedly canceled the rumored Destiny project codenamed ‘Payback,’ which many believed to be the next installment in the Destiny franchise, commonly referred to as Destiny 3.

Earlier this year, speculation ran high as a leak suggested that Bungie was working on a new Destiny game under the codename ‘Payback.’ Fans eagerly anticipated the potential continuation of the popular series, hoping for new adventures and expansions within the Destiny universe.

Source

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Assuming this is true, wonder what this means for the future of the franchise. Bungie has spent 20 years riding the same FPS playstyle. Would like to see something new from them. Not too optimistic about Marathon.

whyman

destiny-3-payback-canceled-1-860x484.webp

Bungie has reportedly canceled the rumored Destiny project codenamed ‘Payback,’ which many believed to be the next installment in the Destiny franchise, commonly referred to as Destiny 3.

Earlier this year, speculation ran high as a leak suggested that Bungie was working on a new Destiny game under the codename ‘Payback.’ Fans eagerly anticipated the potential continuation of the popular series, hoping for new adventures and expansions within the Destiny universe.

Source
What? Why?
It is by far the best gaas Sony has. It would be such a stupid move.

Trogdor1123

Even if I believed this, which I don’t, I am sure they would simply funnel the content into a destiny 2 refresh sort of thing.

Destiny still makes a ton of cash. Millions play it. My guess is they are just looking at ways to maintain that base. A new version that doesn’t have last gen compatibility wouldn’t shock me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Could be true. Or not.

But if Destiny 3 was in the works, plus Marathon, plus whatever Destiny 2 stuff is still going on, you'd think they wouldnt be firing so many people and shifting employees to a new Sony studio.

Or perhaps, Destiny 3 by Bungie is axed, but that new studio will make a game that's like Destiny 3 (but not in name). The castoffs will make a new sci-fi shooter IP and Destiny 2 will be the final game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Right. Legit seemed like a good idea at the time. Clearly it wasnt.
The $3.6B price tag seemed oddly high and fishy to begin with.

But if Destiny 2 was still rocking sales and profits, it probably would had been a deal that's ok, since part of the deal was due to Sony learning about MP and Bungie being overseer of first party GAAS. Turns out right after the deal struck, Bungie sales tanked and going by the tweet, it seems they close to being in the red so they needed to gas people and shift some over to be under a new and different Sony studio with it's own P/L.

Last edited:

anthony2690

What was the point of Sony buying bungie?

Cancels tlou2 factions what bungie was giving advice on or whatever... (Feel free to correct me?)

Now they are firing and moving people around at bungie & cancelled destiny 3 the one game you would expect to be a big hit from bungie.

Is marathon safe? I personally don't see the appeal of this one, a new title for an IP that most people have never heard off or played, and those that have played it/like the ip, I can't imagine they are too excited about a multiplayer extraction shooter 🤷‍♂️

It does make you wonder what the other gaas titles from Sony were looking like, if concord is the one that is releasing...

Last edited:

JaksGhost

How far along was production? Was it still in the incubation phase? All of these things need to be answered because they keep running with narratives of the games being seemingly far along just for it to be revealed that they had 2 people working in it in a back office. They did the same thing with Twisted Metal. They made people believe it was in full production for years just for it to be revealed it was STILL in the pre-production phase when cancelled.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What was the point of Sony buying bungie?

Cancels tlou2 factions what bungie was giving advice on or whatever... (Feel free to correct me?)

Now they are firing and moving people around at bungie & cancelled destiny 3 the one game you would expect to be a big hit from bungie.

Is marathon safe? I personally don't see the appeal of this one, a new title for an IP that most people have never heard off or played, and those that have played it/like the ip, I can't imagine they are too excited about a multiplayer extraction shooter 🤷‍♂️

It does make you wonder what the other gaas titles from Sony were looking like, if concord is the one that is releasing...
Its hard what to believe since Bungie was hired for their expertise in GAAS. You got reports they influence first party GAAS, and then you got people saying they dont really do that or have that much clout. Who knows.

But I think some Sony first party devs are kind of happy Bungie has gotten slapped (like that german term Schadenfreude or whatever). As it shows for the giant price tag attached to them they arent as great as touted, and that money could had been spent internally.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If they canceled it then it was probably a broken and disappointing piece of shit that was years behind schedule.

Neon Xenon

Assuming this is true:
Bungie is barely able to keep Destiny 2 stable and afloat, so I don't see how they could even be thinking about a Destiny 3.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they canceled it then it was probably a broken and disappointing piece of shit that was years behind schedule.
It'll be interesting to see what Bungie has on it's plate if D3 is truly cancelled and Sony took on a bunch of Bungie employees to make a new game.

Right now it's still Destiny 2 and Marathon. If all they got is Marathon in the hopper and it bombs, then what?

SyberWolf

with the change of management and the people that were fired. not a surprise.
probably going to get rebranded or thrown into another dev team under the sony umbrella.
and that "Marathon" game would probably just be another concord failure.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It'll be interesting to see what Bungie has on it's plate if D3 is truly cancelled and Sony took on a bunch of Bungie employees to make a new game.

Right now it's still Destiny 2 and Marathon. If all they got is Marathon in the hopper and it bombs, then what?
Then maybe Sony could have them develop content for Concord

Kacho

Gold Member
Assuming this is true:
Bungie is barely able to keep Destiny 2 stable and afloat, so I don't see how they could even be thinking about a Destiny 3.
There’s zero chance they were working on Destiny 3 in any major way. Their primary focus is Destiny 2 and Marathon.

Top Bottom