• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

LiK

You ask every single Friday.

In the time it takes you to type that question and wait for a response, you could have easily went to the front page of the DestinyTheGame subreddit and found the weekly topic at the top.

No one wants to type out the 15 things he's selling for you.

Heh, yea, I just check reddit too. Quicker than waiting for a reply here.

You ask every single Friday.

In the time it takes you to type that question and wait for a response, you could have easily went to the front page of the DestinyTheGame subreddit and found the weekly topic at the top.

No one wants to type out the 15 things he's selling for you.
Hell, if you Google Xur when you wake up on Friday, it's literally the first thing that pops up (usually with pictures and breakdowns of stats.)

Nodnol

So I just got my best drop from an ROC strike...a nice new shiney Ice Breaker. Which I already have.

Such a shame to dismantle a weapon plenty of people want.

The hunt for the Godhorn goes on.

LordofPwn

Why is everyone hating on No Land Beyond? I got one from CE chest on tuesday and love it. I think they'll buff it by taking the red light off of it, and i'm interested to see what it's signature perk does in terms of damage in pvp. love the bolt action and iron sights and the sound it all makes. kinda wish it didn't zoom in as far as it does, but once you get the hang of it it's really fun. i'll test it out in pvp one day (when i can log on and get other things out of the way first)

Steroyd

*breathes heavily*

Family invited me to watch Hobbit in 3 hours time, meanwhile I'm spamming the x button trying to cram in to get my godhorn to 331.

Defuser

ROFL, someone made a thread on reddit about No Land Beyond. This is hilarious.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2qfogc/why_to_buy_no_land_beyond/

Wait till you read this lol.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2qfs22/i_took_nlb_into_a_roc_strike_to_try_it_out/
I knew it was the worst gun in the game, let alone the worst exotic. I knew I would fail hilariously at everything. I expected these things.

I did not expect two things:

That I would be doing the Dust Palace
That the other two people on my fireteam had the exact same idea.

What happens when three people take brand new No Land Beyonds into the 26 psion flayers? This will be an adventure, I think. I will have a grand story to tell when I am done.

Fuck me and my stupid thoughts.

It took us a while to figure out we were all rocking brand new shit cannons. I think we all independently realized that we had the same idea and thought "ok, this is it: I will not switch this weapon out. I will NLB everything in this strike. We will all NLB everything in this strike." We get to the first room. Let loose dinklebot on the door. Get ready, dis gon b gud.

There's a bit of everything in that first room - legionaries, phalanxes, a centurion, and some psions. The first thing we all notice is that NLB has TERRIBLE handling. Like, actually piss poor. Completely ridiculous. We miss most of our shots. There are maybe a grand total of two headshots in the entire room. We got around to the centurion pretty late, not because it would be hard, but because none of us could actually kill it solo. No, seriously - it took three level 30s to take down a level 26 centurion. Then we all ran out of ammo.

The general consensus then was that if you run out of NLB ammo, you can use specials and heavies. One guy grabbed his shotgun and cleaned up the leftover psions, which all dropped primary ammo. Back to our Red Ryder BB guns.

Then it got better, because the next room had a colossus in it. I'm shitting my pants and expecting a wipe, but we quickly realize that it doesn't really move so we can actually hit it in the face. I get my first crit with this thing: 1500 damage. Seriously? I knew that was low, but I didn't know how low. Then I ran out of ammo again, so I figured I could check. Hit him in the face with my trusty LDR: 3500 damage. Look, my LDR is 331 and my NLB is only 302, but let's be real here.

It pretty much goes downhill from that.

We literally only survive the room because we keep running out of ammo. No one expected that little concession to save our asses. I watch, in pure horror, as the hunter in the group scopes in on a psion's face literally a yard away from him, takes the shot, and misses. Then he gingerly pulls the lever back and tries again, only to get a body shot. Which, thank the lord, is still a 1 shot on a psion. Otherwise he probably would have died.

Next room has another colossus, and about 30 billion phalanxes. Phalanxes are the worst because you have literally no chance of a precision hit for your first shot, and the pump action walk of shame you take after every shot is so long that most of the time you don't even get a chance to shoot the fuckers in the head when they're stunned. We basically only make it through on supers.

Now is the fun part.

Titan goes AFK. We start up the next room, which is another defend the dinklebot. We try to two man this thing and it is PAINFUL. There are like 3 minotaurs and we have to both concentrate on each one. We manage to get one down before a colossus shows up. We try to take down the second one but the colossus is actually doing more damage to it than we are, and it steals our kill.

This is the point at which I thought I really lost my shit with this gun. It's actually worse. We'll get there. But for now:

If you've ever watched enemies fight each other, the first thing you'll notice is that they do really shit damage. A dreg and an acolyte can punch the shit out of each other for a good minute or two before one of them dies. They just don't hit each other very hard.

But this colossus stole our kill. I know colossi have really good DPS, but under NO circumstances should they have more DPS than TWO PEOPLE WITH EXOTIC PRIMARIES.

We barely survive. AFK kid dies like 15 times. Hunter looses faith and quits.

It's just me and the flayers. Fuck.

Run in like rambo, thinking "IM GONNA SOLO THIS BITCH WITH THE WORST WEAPON IN THE GAME! I WILL BECOME LEGEND!"

I got one kill. It was a legionary, and I hit it in the head when I was aiming at its arm.

AFK kid respawns in the darkness with me. I try again, and this time I actually succeed in cleaning out the stuff that's just kind of in the boss room before the actual flayers. It was pretty painful, there were two centurions and the only reason why I actually won was because I ran out of ammo almost immediately.

I wait for AFK kid to come back. The is no way I can NLB this solo.

AFK kid does not come back. A level 29 defender joins with shadow price. I saw an orange sniper rifle on his back and figured it was an LDR. Ok, I guess we can give this a shot.

Start it up. I died almost immediately because a legionary was meleeing me and I literally could not kill it first. Defender revives me. I didn't know it yet, but this was going to be a common theme.

Each time I run out of ammo, I actually become useful. We pick away at the arc flayer and manage to kill him when I run out of ammo and LDR his ass.

Centurions spawn. Arc flayer dropped primary ammo, so I'm desperately trying to kill a centurion with a goddamn long range swiffer, and doing a really bad job. I end up killing one after burning through an entire clip, which with NLB takes a good 30 seconds. Defender cleared out almost everything else.

It's around this time that I see him shoot his LDR. Solar damage. Did he get it from an engram? I check it out, since I have NLB ammo and I'm not really helping anyway.

This is where I ACTUALLY lost my shit with this gun. The point at which I truly understood how terrible it is.

His sniper rifle was not an LDR. It was a Known Horizon.

If you don't know of the Known Horizon, it's basically tops for a blue sniper rifle. 4 mag, black hammer impact class. It's DLC too, so it caps out at 294.

His wasn't even maxed. It was a 272 blue sniper rifle.

My exotic sniper was being out DPSed by a 272 blue.

I forged on anyway. I figured it couldn't get any worse and was consistently proved wrong. It got to the point where precision hits were so difficult and time so short that I literally just started running up to things and hip firing my goddamn sniper rifle. I did more damage this way.

As we get to the end, we take the shields down on the last flayer. I just run up and start hip firing. All precision hits. In fact, most of my precision hits were right there, with the void flayer, in his face. Hip firing a sniper rifle.

We finished. It was painful, and grueling, and I was literally more useless than a guy with a blue sniper rifle, but I DID IT. I did a whole strike with No Land Beyond. Am I legend yet?

Bungie really need to buff up No Land Beyond.

HighOnPCP

Soo I got No Land Beyond from the Nightfall this week and already knew it's bad so double disappointment now that Xur apparently sells it.

But more importantly he has the upgradable versions of HAWKMOON AND FUCKING GJALLARHORN AND I CANT LOG THE FUCKKK INNNN PSN PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

no seriously I know it's christmas and all that but my god please just fix it today so I can upgrade my babies.

DjRalford

Soo I got No Land Beyond from the Nightfall this week and already knew it's bad so double disappointment now that Xur apparently sells it.

But more importantly he has the upgradable versions of HAWKMOON AND FUCKING GJALLARHORN AND I CANT LOG THE FUCKKK INNNN PSN PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

no seriously I know it's christmas and all that but my god please just fix it today so I can upgrade my babies.

I got away tomorrow until new year so if they don't fix it in the next 21 hours I can't upgrade my Gjallarhorn

Nodnol

NLB needs 499 Attack, Explosive Rounds, Firefly and Wolfpack Rounds to be useful.

That said with the weight of the thing, I'd imagine my Hunter would have more luck throwing it.

Namikaze1

That's why I always get on 10 minutes early. Rookie mistake you made. Prepare better next time.
30-40 minutes for me. Though today, I got up 2 hours before reset to see if I can actually get on and do the previous day's bounties before they reset.

YeSp

Neo Member
Have 3 level 29 characters and still haven't seen a single Exotic weapon drop..and Xur is selling shit again..this is getting annoying

LiK

Shit, no Rocket Launcher telemetries this week. Good luck upgrading Ballerhorn. Shit took forever with the prepatch one. :(

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Part of me thinks Sony doesn't really care and they will offer an apology and maybe give out something and then call it a day.

Greenymac

Shit, no Rocket Launcher telemetries this week. Good luck upgrading Ballerhorn. Shit took forever with the prepatch one. :(

Ive got 10 waiting for both my Ghorns. Bought them in advance...Perfect Planning for the win all day. Now if PSN could get sorted I can kick my vacation off right.

No, this DLC got the MK. 44 Stand Asides and the Radiant Dance Machines.

Ffs, warlocks get screwed over yet again. All the non- DLC helmets suck as well as Sunsingers. The only exotics that are worth a damn are the chests and Xur spammed the fuck outta Voidfangs without even mentioning Praxic. Ugh fuck this shit

Deku Tree

I can only hold one "ruined core" in my inventory or in the vault at once? What is the point of that? Only makes it slightly more tedious to transfer one to my alts.

Assuming this PSN stuff gets sorted out, anyone want to run Vault of Glass a couple of times? I want to see if I can get a Hawkmoon from the gorgon chest to upgrade now that Xur has it.

Also, farm the Gatekeepers for glimmer.

Top Bottom