• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT13| How the Grind Stole Christmas

I get that, and i was lucky enough to get voidfang from a legendary engram on the first weekend so i wasn't worried about armor. I find it nice though that bungie stealth sold the best weapon in the game and only those that were hardcore enough to have the coins and had the instincts to see the potential bought it. its nice having something to seek after versus just buy. its why Hawkmoon was so legendary, its why todd is going crazy trying to get praxic fire.

Yep, but I have have both hawkmoon and HoPF, and not once did I start in a raid have have someone ask..."so how many HoPF's do we have in the group?"

Your hardcoreness and insight was rewarded months ago. Now that pretty much everyone had one, put it up for sale.

sunsingers are so damn powerful.

do you want to become a tank, a cooldown reduction machine for your team, or cheat death with self-revive? grab an extra grenade for free while you're at it, or maybe hover in the air while you snipe people below you. become an orb-creation machine as you knock enemies off the map with your solar grenades, or deal massive damage with your fusion grenades. apply burn dots to your enemies and feast off their delicious tears. about to die and need a shield? melee something, you don't even have to kill it.

easily my favorite class in the game

100% truth. Sunsinger is the best.
Only reason I even switch back to Voidwalker now is because:
1.) One of the new bounties is to take out hive with bolts.
2.) Only way to effectively do the triple super kill x20 bounty with Warlocks.
3.) The agility + speed boost glide combo to reach the cheese spot on Nexus strike with ease.

If it weren't for those three things, Voidwalker would be obsolete to me.

Yeah I certainly wasn't playing that hardcore at the time, I had exactly 17 coins on me when I looked at Xur's inventory.

I looked over its upgrades on the sale screen and decided that I would be a lunatic to pass it up. HOW SILLY THAT WAS.

Here's my post from back in OT3 where I just bought it. note my fawning over wolfpack rounds despite having not yet come close to unlocking them XD

I then did have to sit through a week or two of people who bought it because they had the coins but didn't perceive the magic, talking about how shitty and unremarkable it was before leveling it up -_-

I was so happy.... It was my first exotic and I didn't have a legendary rocket launcher by then so it was massive step up even unupgraded. Remember first using it in the loot cave and drooling over the blast radius and launch speed. I had no idea what it would become.....

hydruxo

Really how so? I know new subclasses will be fun, but there is material that's needed and everything.

I have all 3 classes and I personally enjoy just having all of them and learning the different classes strengths and weaknesses rather than just leveling up Hunters over and over. I definitely get why people do it, and I almost made a 2nd Hunter instead of making my Warlock. I didn't really care about running the raid with 3 hunters to get all the gear. I'll get there sooner or later.

I pretty much use my Titan and Warlock to complement my Hunter, instead of just trying to go OCD and get all of them leveled up to the same level ASAP. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not gonna go overboard with it. Also, it's nice getting class specific armor for another class and being able to actually use it rather than being disappointed and having to dismantle it.

realcZk

I meant the current goings on.

I don't really understand. If a distributed denial-of-service attack has been stopped, what does sony have to do restore functionality?

sony pays prolexic for ddos protection and a lot of their infrastructure is rented from amazon cloud afaik

they probably have to work with serveral ISPs to restore service availability and their ddos protection provider to restore access to certain networks that might have been automatically blacklisted during the attacks. the attack traffic passes through a lot of routes before it gets to sony and many intermediate infrastructures have automated systems in place to detect or null-route the offensive traffic, these rules have to be lifted to restore optimal routes. additionally, sony might take advantage this downtime to deploy some fixes they have been working on, or try to improve their current services before flipping the switch back on. seems like its only PS4 that's having issues at the moment though so not sure about that...

Xamdou

Whack that Xur isn't providing a vex upgrade... and even if he did would it's damage ouput be higher than 331 since predlc it's damage was 321?

Dave_6

It's supposed to rain constantly here this weekend so this shit better be fixed before today is over. This is bullshit...

So Xur is selling the Horn upgrade and hardly anyone can get on to buy it. Figures.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Bungie won't extend his visit at all so we'll just have to wait weeks til Sony can put a bandaid on their fragile network.

Do it!!!

I have created all 3 and I enjoy my Titan and my Warlock allot but I cannot seem to enjoy the Hunter at all... look, I throw a plastic knife at you!!! sigh.

Defenders and Sunsinger as way more useful to help out a team in PVE than anything Hunter can muster.... oh oh I turn Invisible oh oh heeee.

I hate my Hunter, he is staying low level forever.

Titans and Warlocks are more fun and more rewarding and are actually useful to Fireteam squad for support.

Titan Striker crowd control, punch in the face, AOE Super. Titan Defender keeping the team alive, buffing shields or weapons.

Hunters with chain of woe and handcannons are pretty sweet. I also like gunslinger, but I don't know if it's as good as other class supers.

Man, I feel like one of the worst things Bungie has done since Destiny came out is let slip that Xur's inventory is not RNG, but in fact is hand picked by a team.

It makes every week feel like a personal attack or something. Everytime Xur pops up, instead of just accepting RNG being RNG, now there is this whole investigation into why Bungie decided this item over that item. And people hypothesizing why we get A instead of B.

I would honestly prefer they just come out next week and tell us that Xur is now 100% RNG. I don't care if it's the truth or not.

Xamdou

So Xur is selling the Horn upgrade and hardly anyone can get on to buy it. Figures.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Bungie won't extend his visit at all so we'll just have to wait weeks til Sony can put a bandaid on their fragile network.

Sony's network was hacked before and they gave away free games as consolidation, did they even make improvements to their PSN network since then and a year ago when they made their network a paid service?

What kind of setup to I need to achieve Sunsinger god status?

my set up:

Firebolt Grenade
Glide: Focused Burst
Radiance: Fireborn
Scorch: Flameshield
Arcane Spirit
Viking Funeral
Divine Order
Gift of the Sun

Combine this with the new Claws of Ahamkara to get double flame shield and boom there ya go

realcZk

Man, I feel like one of the worst things Bungie has done since Destiny came out is let slip that Xur's inventory is not RNG, but in fact is hand picked by a team.

It makes every week feel like a personal attack or something. Everytime Xur pops up, instead of just accepting RNG being RNG, now there is this whole investigation into why Bungie decided this item over that item. And people hypothesizing why we get A instead of B.

I would honestly prefer they just come out next week and tell us that Xur is now 100% RNG. I don't care if it's the truth or not.

I know that DeeJ said that during a stream one time, but then he said that he never recalled saying that and it is in fact random. I'm not sure what I believe, but I really hope its RNG, otherwise I don't know what's going on at bungie HQ

Sony's network was hacked before and they gave away free games as consolidation, did they even make improvements to their PSN network since then and a year ago when they made their network a paid service?

Eh, that was a bit different. People's info and shit was stolen.

They didn't give people stuff a month or so ago when this happened before, so don't expect anything now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What is the Venus loot door?

Start Patrol > Go Right towards Shattered Coast > Go to furthest Room that houses 3 Dregs, 3 Vandals, and a Servitor, kill those fuckers, move through the side door, looking to edge of oblivion, get on top of the doors ledge, jump up a little sideways up, building has an overhang , they respawn in 5 sec, kill, repeat

You have to clear them out with primary to start combo-wombo
My combo-wombo is 1 RL shot (wave 1), then 1 grenade throw (wave 2), Super (wave 3), repeat, takes roughly less than a minute
If INT way to low, might have to swap it around
Combo with low INT, if you have low DIS too!, then this isn't for you: Grenade > RL > Grenade > Super

Great thing is you get an abundance amount of kills, loot, ammo drops, rare chance at a legendary

forrest

formerly nacire
Hunters with chain of woe and handcannons are pretty sweet. I also like gunslinger, but I don't know if it's as good as other class supers.

Golden Gun paired with Combustion is really all I roll with any more when playing Gunslinger in PVE. I find the accuracy and reduced cooldown perks to be pretty negligible when fighting the AI and Combustion goes a long way when spawning orbs in group play. Also, love, love, love Chain of Woe.

Namikaze1

Yep. The lack of sleep is getting to me now. Just gonna get the Gorgon's Chest on all three Guardians and I'm calling it a day. Need to take a nap since I didn't slept at all. I've been up since 3:30 AM EST yesterday

Xamdou

my set up:

Firebolt Grenade
Glide: Focused Burst
Radiance: Fireborn
Scorch: Flameshield
Arcane Spirit
Viking Funeral
Divine Order
Gift of the Sun

Combine this with the new Claws of Ahamkara to get double flame shield and boom there ya go

Thanks! I'll try that out as soon as I am able to log in XBL and play some Destiny.

Double flame shield/life steal isn't better than longer low tier nade? lolwut

I fail to see why in Nightfall or Dailies with Lightswitch activated would you run face to face to melee an enemy ever. More nades are more useful than more Melee in such tough situations.

Sunbreakers for PVE, controlling choke points and waves of enemeies. Plus during Patrol, Sunbreakers are usefull for Public events for defending Warsat, downing the Walker and waves
Sunbreqakers in PVP are great for Control in the smaller maps.

Voidfang for PvP = spawn w full nades = guaranteed more kills
Voidfang for PvE = hold more special ammo, so much more useful for having extra fusion or sniper ammo in reserve.

blackflag

FUCKING BALLERHORN!! WOW Now just got to farm glimmer

What dudeeee!!!!!! Freaking congrats.

32 and baller horn in 1 week? Our reset raids gonna take 20 minutes now right?

I'm hoping to get boots on Titan or chest on lock so I can get to 32 next week. Hunter still doesn't have a piece.

I know that DeeJ said that during a stream one time, but then he said that he never recalled saying that and it is in fact random. I'm not sure what I believe, but I really hope its RNG, otherwise I don't know what's going on at bungie HQ

randomized between voidfang and sunbreakers.

hydruxo

Do it!!!

I have created all 3 and I enjoy my Titan and my Warlock allot but I cannot seem to enjoy the Hunter at all... look, I throw a plastic knife at you!!! sigh.

Defenders and Sunsinger as way more useful to help out a team in PVE than anything Hunter can muster.... oh oh I turn Invisible oh oh heeee.

I hate my Hunter, he is staying low level forever.

Titans and Warlocks are more fun and more rewarding and are actually useful to Fireteam squad for support.

Titan Striker crowd control, punch in the face, AOE Super. Titan Defender keeping the team alive, buffing shields or weapons.

Hunters don't need flashy space magic to be useful though. I'll just be over here getting headshots on headshots while Sunsingers die being reckless since they know they can self-res :)

I like Gunslinger because it's bare bones. Triple jump is the GOAT.

^ also that guy

Hunters don't need flashy space magic to be useful though. I'll just be over here getting headshots on headshots while Sunsingers die being reckless since they know they can self-res :)

this guy knows what he's talking about

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Radiant Skin >>>>> Fireborn.

Not during raids/nf/weekly, a Radiance Fireborn, can snatch victory from defeat
Also Hilarious for Crota's Bridge part

We break the game easily =D

Jesus Crucible matchmaking 2 minutes to find people, either low pool or still remnants of yesterday laying waste

Deku Tree

Sounds like he said something that he wasn't supposed to say and now he is denying it IMO. Bungie also removed that video from their servers. I heard it and DeeJ sounded 100% sure of himself when he said it. DeeJ even talked about having conversations with the people who manage Xurs stock.

80%of the time yes. But fire born has saved my ass in nightfall, hm raid, bosses, etc so many damm times. I dunno what I'd do without it.

It's a crutch. You don't need it. I used Fireborn mostly before I made a Titan and Hunter and playing with them made me more cautious and not rely on self res. I still prefer Sunsinger but you can definitely do without Fireborn. Being a tank is much more fun.

I fail to see why in Nightfall or Dailies with Lightswitch activated would you run face to face to melee an enemy ever. More nades are more useful than more Melee in such tough situations.

Sunbreakers for PVE, controlling choke points and waves of enemeies. Plus during Patrol, Sunbreakers are usefull for Public events for defending Warsat, downing the Walker and waves
Sunbreqakers in PVP are great for Control in the smaller maps.

Voidfang for PvP = spawn w full nades = guaranteed more kills
Voidfang for PvE = hold more special ammo, so much more useful for having extra fusion or sniper ammo in reserve.

Because Nightfall/Daily isn't the only PvE thing to do in the game perhaps? Are you just pulling at straws at this point as to why Sunbreakers are some how better (because they really aren't). You don't need Sunbreakers to control choke points. If you seriously rely on a few extra seconds for a low tier nade to hold off mob trash, then you may want to rethink your strategies.

The guy asked for a good Sunsinger set up, and never did I suggest what you said which is the the obvious of "be sure not to run up on sword swinger/claw shredding enemies in Nightfall with lightswitch on!" Stop making things up.

EDIT: I guess you were talking about my reply to you in fact. Still don't get why you need sunbreakers though. They don't give you extra nades. Gift of the Sun does that.

gdt

So like someone else posted. Could I rent Destiny PS3 transfer the save upgrade my horn and re transfer back to ps4 when everything is back up?

Shito

A good player with Chain of Woe can clear adds so much faster than the other classes.
I basically have no reloading time on my hunter.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm hardly die with my Sunsinger.

It is not the Fireborn that make it invescible... it is already invescible even without Fireborn... one hit kill Melee with great range... fire shield... the best grenades in the game.

It is a God.

I'm pretty sure there is a post form him on Reddit or even a weekly update where he mentions going to the team and asking them whats going to be on sale for warlocks from Xur this weekend and they responsed, "Are you asking as a Community Manager, or are you asking as a Warlock?"

Friend request sent.

Mind if I also snatch this checkpoint off of you Rawr?
Yep I am back now, about to load it up
What dudeeee!!!!!! Freaking congrats.

32 and baller horn in 1 week? Our reset raids gonna take 20 minutes now right?

I'm hoping to get boots on Titan or chest on lock so I can get to 32 next week. Hunter still doesn't have a piece.
Nah I thought I filled out a bubble but had 2 bubbles instead, just 5 radiant shards short now. Which will prob drop for me in the first two checkpoints

Namikaze1

So like someone else posted. Could I rent Destiny PS3 transfer the save upgrade my horn and re transfer back to ps4 when everything is back up?
Yes

By yes, I mean your stuff carries over to either platform as long as its within the console family.

realcZk

Sounds like he said something that he wasn't supposed to say and now he is denying it IMO. Bungie also removed that video from their servers. I heard it and DeeJ sounded 100% sure of himself when he said it. DeeJ even talked about having conversations with the people who manage Xurs stock.

haha wow, now i want to hear that video. iirc, i saw him confirm it on a twitch stream (iron banner maybe?) in the chat.

I'm pretty sure there is a post form him on Reddit or even a weekly update where he mentions going to the team and asking them whats going to be on sale for warlocks from Xur this weekend and they responsed, "Are you asking as a Community Manager, or are you asking as a Warlock?"

if bungie picks xur's stock, id love to hear their reasoning behind it. if they really pick it then i know we'll never see the gjallarhorn again.

Top Bottom