• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
that was all kind of a painful back and forth based on shoddy operating definitions. You may disagree with me and Jest if you really do view the game that differently (and I'm not sure I understand or share his characterization of the "objective" of Destiny)... but Destiny is not a loot game as defined by the qualities of a game like Diablo, Path of Exile, Torchlight or Borderlands, despite the latter even being an FPS. Those games have enormously more in common with one another than with Destiny and this is just blatantly obvious to me as someone who has played all 5.

If you put Destiny in the same genre as those games and expect the same things to be good about it it sucks. If you're trying to get the same things out of it, I can certainly imagine Destiny to be a much more unpleasant and frustrating experience for you than it has been for me. It does other things very well, however, and I think the biggest reason that these discussions are always so awkward and hostile is that its distinct genre in this sense is hard to pinpoint. In my estimation, Destiny may well be the sole entrant for the moment in a new subgenre. This subgenre admittedly does borrow heavily and necessarily from a lot of others, while genuinely remaining, for now, pretty unique. It might be joined by The Division in March of next year, and for the sake of completeness I also ought to mention Dragon Ball: Xenoverse with which it shares a lot of design features as well.

Pardon the late reply. Was out.

The goal for a game like Skyrim is to play how you want to reach the ending.

The goal for Drstiny is to get bigger and better guns to shoot with. The story is inconsequential, a flavoring if you will. The story sets up the things you shoot in the end game activity. Bear with me, might be hard to follow, but you shoot these things, for loot.

....if what you were saying is true, the raid bosses wouldnt drop loot. But they do. Because this is a loot game.

By this qualification, all MMORPGs are loot games. WoW is the same as Diablo is the same as Guild Wars 2 is the same as Torchlight is the same as Final Fantasy 14.

Please. The reason people kept playing was the Gjallarhorn. The chase was for the loot. It's a loot game.

Yes. You speak for all people in all things. I played for the story and Crucible, personally. Never got a Gjall, never tried to get a Gjall.

Which you turn in for damn loot.

YOU HEAR THAT JEST CHILLIN? EVERYTHING IS FOR THE DAMN LOOT. THIS IS A DAMN LOOT GAME.

Then why was everyone so upset about the Y1 story? If the objective is the loot.. who cares if the story is delivered poorly?

Ha, what? No, man, it's a loot game.

That's a Negative Ghost Rider.

Edit: Here's the clarification on the difference between End Boss loot in a game like Diablo or Torchlight or Borderlands. You get that loot.. so that you can play the game again with new builds and ability variations. In Destiny, like in WoW and FFXIV and dozens of MMORPGs... you get Raid loot to gear up to be better prepared for the next expansions content.. which is a different experience at a higher level. It's completely new content that you're gearing up for and that content releases on a fairly regular basis (varies by game). Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands tend to release new content far less often (if at all) and in the case of most of those games, they start you off completely new when a sequel comes out.. rather than you just continuing your progress.

shermas

Then why was everyone so upset about the Y1 story? If the objective is the loot.. who cares if the story is delivered poorly?

I still think Bungie was trolling us with the Y1 story. It was such a steaming pile of non-sense... The ghost's dialogue, bizarre stories, whatever. It was all just mush.

The Y2 effort is much better, but Destiny (for ME) is still about snapping off head shots, using a super at the right time, teaming up with buddies and running through some bad guys and having fun. And getting some loot.

Wow, the day I decide to take a break from the internet and phone, bungie drops the SS quest. Perfect.

Anyone wants to team up for the SS quest on all 3 characters?

Also, happy birthday LT :)

Pardon the late reply. Was out.

By this qualification, all MMORPGs are loot games. WoW is the same as Diablo is the same as Guild Wars 2 is the same as Torchlight is the same as Final Fantasy 14.

Come back to me when Destiny has the social aspects that WoW or FF14 have. WoW and Destiny are incomparable, because in WoW there is plenty to do that isn't tied to Loot. In destiny this isn't the case. Hell, the mission today and the spindle mission are tied to loot.

Because Bungie hyped it up to kingdom come comparing it to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, and it was complete and utter shit? People didn't buy Destiny for the story, but that doesn't mean you can put shit on a platter and give it a pass because the loot aspect of it makes it a pass. It's possible to criticize different aspects of something. Which is what I'm doing in regards to this time gating shit.

Edit: Here's the clarification on the difference between End Boss loot in a game like Diablo or Torchlight or Borderlands. You get that loot.. so that you can play the game again with new builds and ability variations. In Destiny, like in WoW and FFXIV and dozens of MMORPGs... you get Raid loot to gear up to be better prepared for the next expansions content.. which is a different experience at a higher level. It's completely new content that you're gearing up for and that content releases on a fairly regular basis (varies by game). Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands tend to release new content far less often (if at all) and in the case of most of those games, they start you off completely new when a sequel comes out.. rather than you just continuing your progress.

This is nonsense! You don't get loot in Destiny to gear up for the next expansions content, since it's likely green drops in the next expansions content will replace the gear you got. And the missions you get those drops in are usually dumbed down enough that an undergeared player can do them. In Destiny, the reason why people want exotics or new things to play with is to try out different builds, like Diablo. Not only that, Why do you think Touch of Malice is wanted? Because it changes the way you play and changes the beat of the final boss fights in the raid. You use the gear you get in Destiny for current content stuff.

It's that simple. You're just making things up at this point. Getting current gear for the next expansion, the fuck is that nonsense..

every single public event is Eliminate Target, is this a bug?

Have ya'll tried http://destinypublicevents.com/ ?

All I do is see which ones are going on, wait 5 minutes until after it says the event should arrive. If it doesn't/isn't warsat, I just move to the next location that has a chance of spawning a warsat soon. I was able to knock all 3 planets out in about an hour compared to waiting on Skywatch (which I know Bungie tinkered with cause they used to drop every 5 minutes with HoW).

OkayRene

Thanks Biggy and Deku for the heads up on warsats, just need Earth now. So weird because I was in Mothyards when people were calling it out originally. I thought public events were synced across all instances.

deoee

Why does Bungie not add an option to read Grimoire ingame OR even better: let someone (Dinkelbot? ;-) ) read it for you - like an podcast or audio log you can hear while running strikes etc.?

GhaleonEB

Sleeper Simulant quest line has been activated. If you had found the 4 fusion rifles and turned them into banshee prior to today, you should see a secret mission unlocked on earth.

Got it. I've turned in four, so I'll get going late tonight when I'm free. So long as we do that first mission, can we complete it later? I saw the Bungie tweet about the kick off mission being today only, to come back later.

I read this to get up to speed: http://kotaku.com/destinys-sleeper-simulant-quest-has-begun-and-its-awes-1735166807

Afrocious

Got it. I've turned in four, so I'll get going late tonight when I'm free. So long as we do that first mission, can we complete it later? I saw the Bungie tweet about the kick off mission being today only, to come back later.

I read this to get up to speed: http://kotaku.com/destinys-sleeper-simulant-quest-has-begun-and-its-awes-1735166807

I dunno if you have to do just the kick off misison or the second mission, but once you get to the 'Power the Core' part of it, possibly you can do it later until the next trigger.

I honestly have no clue, was away for about 15 hours and missed the whole revelation. Will be doing the quest 3x shortly.

The first mission rewards you with an item. I imagine you can continue any time once you do the first mission. Just that the mission needs to be done today.

Come back to me when Destiny has the social aspects that WoW or FF14 have. WoW and Destiny are incomparable, because in WoW there is plenty to do that isn't tied to Loot. In destiny this isn't the case. Hell, the mission today and the spindle mission are tied to loot.

The differences in the social aspects of Destiny and WoW are simply what makes one an MMO and the other not an MMO. That has zero to do with what the gameplay goals are.

Because Bungie hyped it up to kingdom come comparing it to Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, and it was complete and utter shit? People didn't buy Destiny for the story, but that doesn't mean you can put shit on a platter and give it a pass because the loot aspect of it makes it a pass. It's possible to criticize different aspects of something. Which is what I'm doing in regards to this time gating shit.

If they didn't care about story, the hype wouldn't matter. I fully recognize that it's entirely possible to criticize an aspect of a game while enjoying a different aspect. That's not my contention. I'm saying that people wouldn't have been so venomously upset about the story if it was a loot game. Borderlands is a huge pertinent example of this.

This is nonsense! You don't get loot in Destiny to gear up for the next expansions content, since it's likely green drops in the next expansions content will replace the gear you got. And the missions you get those drops in are usually dumbed down enough that an undergeared player can do them. In Destiny, the reason why people want exotics or new things to play with is to try out different builds, like Diablo. Not only that, Why do you think Touch of Malice is wanted? Because it changes the way you play and changes the beat of the final boss fights in the raid. You use the gear you get in Destiny for current content stuff.

It's that simple. You're just making things up at this point. Getting current gear for the next expansion, the fuck is that nonsense..

So the Gjall that people acquired in Vanilla was useless in TDB and HoW? Being max Light at the end of Vanilla Destiny didn't make it easier for you to advance at a faster rate in TDB? Same of TDB to HoW? Because until TTK, I know that my being a higher light level allowed me to skip the regular versions of missions entirely and do everything on Hard the first go around, which net me more experience to upgrade my gear faster which meant higher Light Level sooner.

I don't think I've ever seen a Warsat on Mars all year, just eliminate the target. I had no idea the were even possible. Oh boy.

They are rarer than Hens teeth. Spent the last hour using the Public Events tracker website running around mars and got nothing but Eliminate the Target. Now I have to go to work :(

Try again tomorrow

The differences in the social aspects of Destiny and WoW are simply what makes one an MMO and the other not an MMO. That has zero to do with what the gameplay goals are.

Which is why Destiny is closer to Diablo than WoW, because the gameplay goals are more similar to Diablo.

If they didn't care about story, the hype wouldn't matter. I fully recognize that it's entirely possible to criticize an aspect of a game while enjoying a different aspect. That's not my contention. I'm saying that people wouldn't have been so venomously upset about the story if it was a loot game. Borderlands is a huge pertinent example of this.

And the Vanilla story made it seem that they didn't care about it. Borderlands 2 gets criticized alot for its story, but despite that, Borderlands 2 actually had a semblance of story with alot more dialogue than Destiny. Unless you're talking about the first Borderlands, in which case the story was abysmal.

So the Gjall that people acquired in Vanilla was useless in TDB and HoW? Being max Light at the end of Vanilla Destiny didn't make it easier for you to advance at a faster rate in TDB? Same of TDB to HoW? Because until TTK, I know that my being a higher light level allowed me to skip the regular versions of missions entirely and do everything on Hard the first go around, which net me more experience to upgrade my gear faster which meant higher Light Level sooner.

You keep bringing up the Gjall, but I'm not sure you understand why it isn't helping your argument. The Gjallahorn was a unique, overpowered case. You're trying to use it for your argument of 'Well uh look at the gjallahorn people used that into TDB!!!! See!". No, the Gjallahorn was a special case because it was overpowered. As for bringing up HoW, again you could 'ascend' all your gear at that point that it became more of an aesthetic thing for gear at that point. Which again doubles down on that this is a loot game if you're collecting gear for just how it looked or shot, atleast in HoW.

It's a loot game. Simple.

CureXIV

If you are reading this and willing to help me complete The Undying Mind strike please add and join :(
Just need to get the boss down.

PSN: Squall8i

edit: DONE! THANKS

noomi

All caught up today, sleeper quest and first curse quests started. Nothing to do but wait until next Wednesday now.

Putting focus on pvp and leveling my warlock for the rest of the week.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Just got the 2nd quest item where i have to do the warsats. That was the last part that goes away after today, right?

Top Bottom