• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

I use AR's from time to time, but I usually don't like them that much because of how many bullets goes to waste. And I think they sound kinda weird in Destiny.

Handcannons are rather crappy early on in the game, especially if you haven't gotten used to the aiming. But there are a bunch to look forward to at 20+.

Early game tends to be a lot of hive rushing you though, endgame is smaller numbers of tougher enemies.

zarnold56

Anyone doing the normal raid tonight after 7pm cst? 27 sunsinger warlock, have mic, have not done it but read up on it, not completely terrible at this game.

Namikaze1

Lol

I'm so pissed right now. Got sent home from work since boss wants my foot to have enough time to heal up. (Can't you see I'm walking fine, boss?!)

DS4 thumb sticks got nibbled on by the ferret. Damn you, Kiko!

And to top it off, my Titan alt is gone. Fuck! He had some good equipment on too!

So how's your day been, guys and gals?

Sullichin

Pulse rifles need a serious buff. As it stands they don't do anything better than the other two rifle classes which is a shame because they're so much fun to use.

I think they are better at close-mid range than a Scout Rifle, but not as good as an Auto at this range. I think they're viable, but I wouldn't mind a buff

Korosenai

Been using the vision of confluence, shadow price, and mythoclast in pvp and honestly..... I feel the Suros is still the better gun.

Dante316

Lol

I'm so pissed right now. Got sent home from work since boss wants my foot to have enough time to heal up. (Can't you see I'm walking fine, boss?!)

And to top it off, my Titan alt is gone. Fuck! He had some good equipment on too!

Heal that foot! You been jumping on to many platforms in destiny. Hint: your boss knows.

As for the alt, how is it gone, im scared im gnna lose my alt lvl 5 , it took me a week to get it to 5. Glitch or the ferret did it?

todd360

Lol

The alts just gone? Da faq

Lol

This is awesome on so many levels.

Greenymac

They require a different play style, which I enjoy. ARs I typically aim for the chest and let the barrel creep pull it up for the head. With hand cannons I am much more slow and methodical with my shot placements.

When you get in the grove though hand cannons are just sweet.

Are there any hand canons with a scope or red dot though? Seems weird I haven't seen any.

Yanno, i havent seen any either...

Tekku

Early game tends to be a lot of hive rushing you though, endgame is smaller numbers of tougher enemies.

Indeed. And you cannot stagger high-level enemies, which is a major deal. But if your aiming is good you'll make any weapon work. I just favor the handcannons because I know I won't be wasting any ammo if my aiming is good enough.

So I got a Light Beyond earlier this week during a Nightfall and I couldn't put a figure on why I disliked the helm's look so much. It finally hit me today, anyone think of this when you see a warlock wearing them

images

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think they are better at close-mid range than a Scout Rifle, but not as good as an Auto at this range. I think they're viable, but I wouldn't mind a buff

They're viable but unless you really like pulse rifles nothing about them entices you to pick them up.

Namikaze1

Heal that foot! You been jumping on to many platforms in destiny. Hint: your boss knows.

As for the alt, how is it gone, im scared im gnna lose my alt lvl 5 , it took me a week to get it to 5. Glitch or the ferret did it?

The alts just gone? Da faq
Alt was there before I went to work. After being sent home, I do a quick check since my kid brother wanted to play on his account and it's not there. Gone. How? I don't know.

Also, that ferret ruined the thumb sticks of the white ds4. Damnit, Kiko! Should have gone for the black one since I barely used it.

I learned this from this Reddit post, but I'll lay it out here for easy viewing.

First thing to bring up is the GHOST FRAGMENT: Warlock Grimoire card.

K8M29eP.png

Why did I set her on the trail?

You try and try and try to explain, but no one ever understands. No one who's not a Warlock. Who hasn't spent a dozen years scouring the ruins for one string of symbols, one clean code, one black talon. Titans just make a hmphing noise, if they've stayed awake. Hunters clean their nails with their knives and look at you like you've grown a third eye.

But when you've spent your life searching through arcana for ancient power, you have the urge to reach out and educate others. Especially if you've had one too many.

Nah, she's not my type at all. We've played dice, cards, war games, you know, the usual stuff. I'd never tried to show off before. I don't know what came over me.

I had a broken vertebrae in my pocket that I'd borrowed from - yes, borrowed, I was going to put it back - what do you think you are, my conscience? It was a fossil, that means mineral replacement, a rock, basically. They can survive a few hours in my pocket. Do shut up.

The Cryptarchs weren't going to miss it. Everyone knows the Ahamkaras were hunted to extinction. There's nothing to be afraid of anymore.

Think of how mysterious this system is, I said. How much life sprang up when the Traveler came. Like the Ahamkara. Do you know the legends? The dragon that made promises? And I pulled out the fossil with a flourish -

She pulled out her knife and started to pick the dirt from her nails. That set me off.

You could never have brought down one of these, I said. Ever. Not the greatest Hunter, not the brawniest Titan.

Her eyes narrowed. She said, Oh? Is that so? And I saw right then that she wasn't going to pass on the challenge.

I've murdered a Guardian, I thought. She's going to die. It'll be my fault.

And I looked at the piece of spine in my hand and wondered - why did I say that? What moved me to such pride?

So we learn a few things from this. The Ahamkara were "dragons that made promises" and were apparently feared enough to be hunted to extinction. His insistence that specifically Hunters and Titans wouldn't be able to take one down, also implies it was y the Warlocks who actually did this (more on this later). One of the more important parts about this though (and you will see more of this further), is that the dragon's bone seems to have some influence over the Warlock when he holds it. It basically compels him to goad the Hunter in to a situation that he knows will get her killed.

Now we have the Grimoire card GHOST FRAGMENT: LEGENDS 3...

Sa1StoC.png

The Great Ahamkara Hunt

After great deliberation it was determined that the Ahamkara be made extinct.

It was not an easy decision. Power had been obtained from the bargains, and the City needed power. Knowledge had been gleaned, and the Ahamkara knew answers to questions no one had known to ask.

But the price was too high. And no edict or forbearance seemed to stop Guardians from seeking them out, driven by hope, or vengeance, or despair.

The call had to be silenced. So the Great Hunt did its work.

And thus the Ahamkara were made extinct, their call silenced, their solipsistic flatteries erased, their great design - if it ever existed - broken.

Of this you can be assured, oh reader mine

So now we get some detail on what the Guardians were afraid of. They had apparently gained knowledge and power by bargaining with the Ahamkara but the price was so high and the compulsion to seek those answers out was so compelling (notice the pattern again?) that they literally had to kill them off to stop it. Except the bolded shows whatever compulsive power the Ahamkara held extends beyond the grave. And we know from the first card that it's likely through their bones. Oh yeah! What else is made of their bones?

Skull of Dire Ahamkara

Young Ahamkara's Spine

Claws of Ahamkara
(leaked expansion gear)

Voidfang Vestments
(not Ahamkara bones, but Warlock specific)

You'll notice a pattern in the flavor text:

"Reality is the finest flesh, oh bearer mine. And are you not…hungry?"
"Give me your arm, oh bearer mine. Let me help you fill the world with teeth."
"Look at all this life, oh bearer mine. There is so much left to burn... "
"YOU WILL DREAM OF TEETH AND NOTHING ELSE" - scratched behind a buckle

As you can see, the Ahamkara have some fascination and/or possibly an actual hunger for Reality itself. Perhaps this explains their connection with the Warlocks. From their Grimoire card:

"Warrior-scholars of the Light, Warlocks devote themselves to understanding the Traveler and its power. A Warlock mind is an arsenal of deadly secrets, balanced between godhood and madness. On the battlefield, those secrets can shatter reality itself."

The Warlocks, more than any other class, are about unlocking the secrets of reality to the point where they're almost driven mad. Sounds like a good tool for a creature that has an interest in reality.

So why do the Hunters have an Ahamkara piece? Well you'll notice that Titans, the only class without any Ahamkara armor, are the only class who have no Solar specific class. Perhaps they have no use for a class who cannot help them "burn" reality. Hard to say at this point.

TLDR: The Ahamkara are talking dragons that had literal answers to questions that made the Guardians more powerful. Possibly to secrets of reality itself. They also had the power to compel the minds of Guardians and this power made them dangerous enough that the Guardians decided to hunt them to extinction. This power of compulsion seems to extend to their bones and being in possession of them makes you still makes you vulnerable to that compulsion. They seem to want to feast on reality and they seek to achieve that by controlling the minds of Guardians and possibly through the use of Solar's specific power.

Reule

Glad I didn't buy the titan chest piece because Rahool decided to give it to me from the exotic engram. I bought two of the engrams and still no Crest of Alpha Lupi for Hunter. :(

Just was booted from a Clash match by a Zebra.

LiK

Lol

Wtf, your Titan disappeared?

I'm kind of wishing the class items were not also the slot that you need to use to get points to a certain faction. Cool looking class items like the 25 mote Speaker stuff are less cool when I have to wear my Dead Orbit sash 75% of the time (or constantly swap, which is annoying). I dunno. That stuff should give your character some flair and identity. I get what they were going for but I want people to see my cool class item, not the FWC sash/cape/hologram that every single other person has.

Is there any value to completing an exotic weapon bounty a second time?

Yeah, you can break down the quested exotics for Ascendant Energy (until they decide to patch it at least). I've done the Pocket Infinity quest 3 times. Got 3 shards from the first one I broke and 2 from the second (kept the other one obviously).

j-wood

Is that warlock exotic helm good that our is selling? I have sunbreakers but I just got raid chest and gloves so I kinda want to use those...

Obscured

Sociopaths always come out ahead. In the real world and others.

Yeah got my Hard Light from a Tiger Srike. There's always a chance.

I got an ice breaker from a Tiger Strike. Unfortunately I had already bought it. I can't be too mad, as hey, I got an exotic. But I would have liked something else just to see what else is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom