• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring? When they said that you could initiate public events, I thought it meant that all of the public events anywhere on the Dreadnaught were player controlled. I see why that isn't the case with the new mechanics that force players to stay in the area to complete the event, but that's exactly what bothers me.

The Court of Oryx is technically in the center of the Dreadnaught, but the hike up to it makes it feel so far removed from the normal patrol space that players will have to go out of their way to get there. The beauty of the original loot cave (which this essentially mimics) was that it was "on the way". It was at a crossroads where people were already passing for material farming or story missions. Even after the cave was nerfed, Skywatch remained a place with a lot of action happening while players passed through.

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked.

Perhaps I'm just imagining it.

The benefit of being in one area is that it'll be highly populated and you won't have to worry about no one being around.

Although I wish there was at least one other area to instigate public events too

Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring? When they said that you could initiate public events, I thought it meant that all of the public events anywhere on the Dreadnaught were player controlled. I see why that isn't the case with the new mechanics that force players to stay in the area to complete the event, but that's exactly what bothers me.

The Court of Oryx is technically in the center of the Dreadnaught, but the hike up to it makes it feel so far removed from the normal patrol space that players will have to go out of their way to get there. The beauty of the original loot cave (which this essentially mimics) was that it was "on the way". It was at a crossroads where people were already passing for material farming or story missions. Even after the cave was nerfed, Skywatch remained a place with a lot of action happening while players passed through.

The journey itself isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked.

Nope. I am right there with you. It looks like a better version of PoE. My guess, people will play for the level 3 rewards, if they are actually good, and then abandon it like PoE.

The benefit of being in one area is that it'll be highly populated and you won't have to worry about no one being around.

Although I wish there was at least one other area to instigate public events too

I mean the concept is undoubtedly brilliant and I'm sure it'll have a lot of traffic early on. What I saw just didn't excite me. The "enemy is moving against each other" events have tons of action and the freedom to move around as you please. The court looks too small even for 3 players, let alone 9 as a maximum.

But dude

The current system is basically useless... If anything its an improvement and legendary marks arent MEANT to be a crutch to grind for

THe majority of gear and items you are encouraged to get by PLAYING the game. Hence the new Loot system and increased drop rate

It cancels out and makes Marks WAY more valuable than the are now

#dontbeamarkslave

The devs even went OUT of their way to emphasize that marks arent mean to be the primary means of progression

Yeah, I'm with this take.

Their goal from jump street was to have your gear come with a story, and for a year they've kept pushing in that direction (quests, forging, better drops, etc). To make them easily buyable flies in the face of that.

it's a big shift that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's on Bungie to make it not a "grind" by making activities varied and loot plentiful. It honestly seems like this might be the case on 9.15.

We'll see though.

For as big as they were playing up the dreadnaught I imagine events are all over the place in many shapes and forms

But Im not giving them that much credit just yet.

Still a lot to discover

Kyoufu

Don't forget that we get GUARANTEED Legendaries from faction rank ups, so chances are we won't have to spend too many marks to gear up.

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked. They had spent 10 minutes there and I felt like I'd seen everything already.

They need to have 15+ tier one enemies, and a good amount of tier three. But after people get the best loot possible from the Court I do not see them really returning. But I could be wrong and people could just hang around the area to relax and pick up games (almost like pick up basketball IRL)

stb

Re: marks: I'm not in a hurry to be min/maxed.

In hindsight, that was one of the things that made PoE useless to me, and I'm closer to the "average player" than many here (a measly 560 hours).

I already had all the VoG and CE "best in slot" weapons and many of the Crucible ones, so there was very little for me to play for. This was especially true, given the horrendous effort:reward ratio from PoE and that I simply don't enjoy the activity or what PvP had become.

I'm looking forward to organically getting new and more powerful weapons and armor from playing the new PvE content and the rebalanced Crucible. Ideally, the drop system would be rationed out in such a way that you feel like you're always making some progress, and I'm optimistic that they're iterating toward that between the CE "smart loot" and the discussed changes for 2.0/TTK.

Grinders gonna grind, but that shouldn't be the *primary* way to get decked out.

Their goal from jump street was to have your gear come with a story, and for a year they've kept pushing in that direction (quests, forging, better drops, etc). To make them easily buyable flies in the face of that.

it's a big shift that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's on Bungie to make it not a "grind" by making activities varied and loot plentiful. It honestly seems like this might be the case on 9.15.

We'll see though.

The IRONY here is that people were COMPLAINING that you could just BUY gear with marks to progress

You guys dont know what you want

They need to have 15+ tier one enemies, and a good amount of tier three. But after people get the best loot possible from the Court I do not see them really returning. But I could be wrong and people could just hang around the area to relax and pick up games (almost like pick up basketball IRL)

That's an interesting point. It might be used as a quasi "LFG" spot in the world.

Homeboyd

I mean the concept is undoubtedly brilliant and I'm sure it'll have a lot of traffic early on. What I saw just didn't excite me.
Court of Boryx amirite?!

No but seriously, how much I play it will depend on the loot that drops and what's in those
gnashing teeth treasure chests

So first off, thanks to Seventy_X_Seven and co. for letting me hop in on their Hard Mode Crota's End and getting that Triumph.

I'm a little confused though. I looked at the Triumphs on my profile and it says it's all done, but I don't see anything in my game about receiving the Emblem. Is it going to be distributed when Taken King launches?

ocean

Banned
Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring?
Looks pretty cool I think. Much of it is what I originally expected from Strikes - bosses with mechanics beyond "shoot him until he dies". I think whether it's fun or not will depend greatly on the variety, the time/payout (especially considering the chest is only for the guy who initiated the thing), and the prevalence of troll randoms.

I don't spend much time in PvE outside of Raids so I'll probably just do it a few times for fun and loot, but I think it looks better than anything in PoE despite the limited scenery.

Deku Tree

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked. They had spent 10 minutes there and I felt like I'd seen everything already.

What makes you say the Court of Oryx is in a remote area of the Dreadnaught? I didn't get that feeling at all.

Also I think that once you have beaten all the different bosses in all the Tiers of the Dreadnaught then you have exhausted the content. Absolutely it should get stale after that point. But at that point your done with it.

We don't know how many different bosses they have... and they said the Tier 3 bosses are "raid difficulty bosses". We haven't seen them yet.

Court of Boryx amirite?!

No but seriously, how much I play it will depend on the loot that drops and what's in those
gnashing teeth treasure chests

I mean we stood around shooting a black hole for loot so we'd do anything for it, from the most mundane to the most insane. To that end, I'm disappointed in the level design moreso than the encounter design.

What's frustrating is that they play this game. They know this will be a ridiculous grind. And I get that they don't want us to rush through things and buy all our stuff quickly. But gating stuff behind one-time daily events? Poor choice. We won't be too affected by it, but more casual players will take a lifetime to buy all the stuff they need.

Luke commented on this. There's Power (Vertical gearing) and Optimization (Horizontal gearing). They really wanted to shorten the pursuit of Power or Max Light (vertical climb) and broaden the potential optimization (horizontal gearing).

It was really long vertical climb in Vanilla to get to 30, shorter in TDB and very short in HoW. Vanilla didn't have any horizontal gearing or optimization. You got the raid gear and were done. Crota's End at least had raid gear with variable perks. House of Wolves really got this whole thing going. The first month was only STR gear. So you got to 34 quick, but man, we were not optimized at all. Since then, Varik's has sold gear in many combinations of stats and perks for us to optimize. But we didn't have the vault space for it and we didn't really like Prison of Elders enough for it to matter (no thank you, Shank Burn).

We'll get up to 280 light quick enough, but yes, there is grind. It's deliberate. Every Destiny expansion has changed the grind (commendations were the worst). Now it'll be about optimization. And that's what marks and vendor gear is now. Oh, you, sure, we're 280 light, but we don't have a Solar Burn Recovery chest yet. Play the game. You either get it from drops or you get marks and can buy it.

What makes you say the Court of Oryx is in a remote area of the Dreadnaught? I didn't get that feeling at all.

Also I think that once you have beaten all the different bosses in all the Tiers of the Dreadnaught then you have exhausted the content. Absolutely it should get stale after that point. But at that point your done with it.

We don't know how many different bosses they have... and they said the Tier 3 bosses are "raid difficulty bosses". We haven't seen them yet.

I think as far as patrol activities go

Its the most involved thing they have ever made.

We'll see though.

Say the activities are boring, after all how many variations of redoing a story can there be? My hype levels aren't there esp after watching The Court of Oryxzzzz reveal and lets be honest we're all mostly in this for raids and PvP

Plus Skywatch is wayyyyyy more fuckin annoying to get to.

Sullichin

I really like the idea of Court of Oryx. I wasn't paying attention to the whole stream because I was at work, but can you summon the highest-tier bosses if you are playing with random people? I hope so. I want more things I can do playing by myself with randoms.

GutZ31

Don't forget that we get GUARANTEED Legendaries from faction rank ups, so chances are we won't have to spend too many marks to gear up.
I highly recommend NOT to use legendary packages you get after the 2.0 update, and TTK launch.
You should level yourself to level 40 before opening packages for the best chance at loot at level 40, with high defense/attack values.

Playing the story missions, and turning in bounties/quests are what I advise, as well as crucible.
Blue gear is our first priority.

I really like the idea of Court of Oryx. I wasn't paying attention to the whole stream because I was at work, but can you summon the highest-tier bosses if you are playing with random people? I hope so. I want more things I can do playing by myself with randoms.
Yeah, it's just a patrol activity. You can show up by yourself and if people are in the area, they can help out.

I highly recommend NOT to use legendary packages you get after the 2.0 update, and TTK launch.
You should level yourself to level 40 before opening packages for the best chance at loot at level 40, with high defense/attack values.

Playing the story missions, and turning in bounties/quests are what I advise, as well as crucible.

Doesnt it roll the contents WHEN you get it?

ocean

Banned
Or maybe drops will be more common, so it doesn't feel like RNG is screwing you as hard. Let's say you get a Legendary drop every 24 hours of gameplay now and it didn't roll right, you hate RNG. Now let's say you get a Legendary drop every 7 hours of gameplay. You have a higher chance of it being a not shit roll.

Worrying about marks before seeing how the world plays into the economy isn't a good idea.
I've never hated or been frustrated by RNG. Mainly because I don't depend on it. I see drops as a bonus, an afterthought. Odds of my gauntlets being HC Reload with a high Int/Dis roll are rather slim. But that's ok because the Vanguard sells the Sanction Six set which does just this. Perfect. If I get it to drop randomly in the future? Cool. If not? Whatever, I'll buy it.

They want to make the game *less* reliant on randomness and stuff outside player control, which is a decision I agree with.

The IRONY here is that people were COMPLAINING that you could just BUY gear with marks to progress

You guys dont know what you want
Who in the world complained about THIS? Who are YoU people? Why the RANDOM capitalization?

shenze

Banned

I agree, I think its just going to be an easy way to farm events. I'm okay with that as long as it still counts for giving you the daily public events packages. It will also make getting the grimiore for events a lot easier to obtain. I think that the arena should be a bit bigger and should change the way it looks after every round like in PoE. I also think that the non-summoners should get more rewards for doing it because even though they didn't summon it, they helped complete the event and should at least get close to the same rewards for helping out.

Say the activities are boring, after all how many variations of redoing a story can there be? My hype levels aren't there esp after watching The Court of Oryxzzzz reveal and lets be honest we're all mostly in this for raids and PvP

lmao
don't lump me in with that mess

how many variations, mike? jeepers how many weapon types are there? and elementals? and subclasses? and exotics that have one of a kind perks?

I JUUUUUST leveled up Saint 14 and it changed the game COMPLETELY. blinding ding dongs in pvp AND pve is astonishingly fun.

i'm only like 270 hours or something so maybe when i hit 500 i'll be that grizzled and cynical but right now? hell no, dude. i won't even have everything possibly finished on my 3 characs finished by 9.15. there's still exotics i haven't gotten and/or unlocked their nique perks. shit, mike, i haven't even finished my thorn bounty, OR invective.

and on 9.15 i get like dozens of new quests, three new subclasses WHAT???

hell naw, mike. no half measures. i'm in it for the full game. every gun, every SWORD, every zotic, every subclass power.

it's all fun for me. full measures only.

Eh, I just realized that you can see the Court of Oryx as soon as you enter the Hall of Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7iZNz1O50#t=9m40s

If there are people fighting over there, their nametags should be visible. It still takes a while to get there, but it's not as "buried" as I recalled when writing that post.

The arena itself however still is something I'm uncertain of.

I think as far as patrol activities go

Its the most involved thing they have ever made.

It absolutely is. It's the longevity that i'm contemplating. A simple, static arena - especially one with such a dark, dreary atmosphere - could quickly become monotonous. It'd be like if PoE only took place in the hive arena.

I also got the feeling it was remote and tucked away and you'd have no clue anything was going on there. But looking at the Dreadnought Map it appears to be centrally located. SPOILER map here SPOILER. We just won't know til we get our boots on the ground.

I hope it's something that I can be on my way doing something else and then get distracted and head on over to help. Especially since Tier 2 bosses are recommended with more than 3 fireteam members and Tier 3, woof. How many players can be in one patrol instance at once? 16? If it is tucked away, that'll make it hard to get 9 players together at once.

Edit: Good Find:

Eh, I just realized that you can see the Court of Oryx as soon as you enter the Hall of Souls

If there are people fighting over there, their nametags should be visible. It still takes a while to get there, but it's not as "buried" as I recalled when writing that post.

The arena itself however still is something I'm uncertain of. .

The arena itself however still is something I'm uncertain of.

It absolutely is. It's the longevity that i'm contemplating. A simple, static arena - especially one with such a dark, dreary atmosphere - could quickly become monotonous. It'd be like if PoE only took place in the hive arena.

Yeah but that could be said for any patrol activity

As of right now all the Taken King additions seem like improvements to me

stb

I really hope you're not suggesting I ignore marks and rely on RNG drops for my armor upgrades. That's loot-cave thinking. I want armor that suits my play style, not magical wishing that a faction package drops something with HC reload and the stats I want. No, I wanna see who sells it and go buy it.

Vendors are the only means of non-random progression in the game. The saving grace. With the current system, I know I can win a dozen matches and go buy some Gauntlets at a vendor. I can do those dozen matches over the course of a few days or in one sitting, whatever I feel like.

Thread is moving very fast right now, so I'm sure this will be after many more posts by folks w/r/t marks. Sorry in advance.

I totally get what you're saying about not relying on RNG, but I'll actually be glad if they remove the temptation of the grind fest. While we all want optimized rolls for everything, we don't need them in the first week or month.

I'll actually be grateful if the temptation isn't even there. I realize that people who DO want to grind for optimized rolls on everything ASAP would be disappointed by that, but I think it'd result in a healthier game overall. Grindable "optimization" is what ruined crucible.

I'm fully on board for "stop and smell the roses" mode with TTK.

phen0m24

So first off, thanks to Seventy_X_Seven and co. for letting me hop in on their Hard Mode Crota's End and getting that Triumph.

I'm a little confused though. I looked at the Triumphs on my profile and it says it's all done, but I don't see anything in my game about receiving the Emblem. Is it going to be distributed when Taken King launches?

Emblem drops 9/15. :)

Skywatch is a hike. The Court of Oryx looks pretty easy to get to, and did anyone else notice those same statues on the raid teaser? Might end up being a crossroads of sorts on the D-Naught.

That would be a really smart design if so. It essentially means you're passing by some place other Guardians are likely to be hanging around experimenting with Raid bosses, and you'll be able to pick them up from there on your way to the Raid.

Skywatch is a hike. The Court of Oryx looks pretty easy to get to, and did anyone else notice those same statues on the raid teaser? Might end up being a crossroads of sorts on the D-Naught.

Here's my predictshs from the trailer:
You go through the Court and statues and do some shit there
Then you gotta RIDE THE TOMBSHIPS THAT SHOW UP BEHIND IT TO NEXT THING AAAAAAAAAA

My biggest concern with the Court of Oryx is figuring out who will be the leader to put in the runes and get the best armor. Sure the current leader has a cooldown but you are still competing against 4 others to run and put in your rune. Was it confirmed that your runes upgrade regardless if you are the leader? So if I need 3 tier one to get to tier 2 does it matter if I initiate the Court or not? Same for tier 2 to 3

phen0m24

Here's my predictshs from the trailer:
You go through the Court and statues and do some shit there
Then you gotta RIDE THE TOMBSHIPS THAT SHOW UP BEHIND IT TO NEXT THING AAAAAAAAAA

What if a precursor to raiding is activating the statues? Like with level 3 runes?

That way you have to engage with that mechanic before skipping on to the high level loot

Yeah, it's just a patrol activity. You can show up by yourself and if people are in the area, they can help out.

Good thinking!

Gordon

6 hr maintenance? Wonder what they're doing that will take that long. Must be quite the overhaul.
Pretty sure it's not upgrading old-gen consoles to higher priority servers so menus load in a reasonable period of time :/

Edit: Top of page? Uh-oh
q5CyYQS.jpg
(No TTK hype here, but I did ascend one of these bad boys last night. Going to see if it makes people quit like NLB when the servers come back online)

Top Bottom