• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos picks private student loan chief to head government loan program

RedRum

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vernment-loan-program/?utm_term=.91d56784fb8e

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said this week she plans to appoint Arthur Wayne Johnson, the chief executive of a private student loan company, to run the federal government’s trillion-dollar financial aid operations.

Rather, DeVos praised a dissertation Johnson, 61, completed last year through a weekend PhD program at Mercer University in Atlanta.

Johnson’s dissertation, titled “Eyes Wide Shut: Understanding Private Student Loan Indebtedness,” explored whether students have adequate “decision-making competence” to take on major debt commitments, especially through private loans that have less favorable repayment options, according to a portion of the 159-page document that is available online.

“DeVos just appointed someone to run what is essentially one of the five largest banks in the country and the only thing we know about his views on the subject is [his] dissertation,” he said. “Going from possibly running a school system with 44,000 students to an office that serves 43 million borrowers is a heck of a jump. Kind of like interviewing for a minor league job and then getting asked to coach the Golden State Warriors.”

liquidtmd

Banned
tenor.gif

If she was in my country (Costa Rica), all teachers would be on a strike till she was removed. And believe me, she would not last here more than a few weeks.

If she was in my country (Costa Rica), all teachers would be on a strike till she was removed. And believe me, she would not last here more than a few weeks.

In America that kind of protesting is frowned upon and shamed. It's better to compromise and meet in the middle or something.

Sony

Nintendo
I've watched videos of her as a nominee and as a secretary. How someone as ignorant and uneducated as her became secretary of education is mind boggling. She's rediculously unqualified.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I've watched videos of her as a nominee and as a secretary. How someone as ignorant and uneducated as her became secretary of education is mind boggling. She's rediculously unqualified.

You see money...and bears...

Money

Apdiddy

As if Nancy Grace is bad enough, we got another asshole from my university messing things up.

And where I went the total tuition is $49,393 in 2017. When I went to school there, it was less than that -- at 28000. Then it jumped up twice in two years and was $33,000 by the time I graduated.

And many students I knew had to take out private loans (myself included) just to go there.

Now we got someone who has no business running FSA.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Mercer University as in Cambridge Analytica Mercer?

Edit: scratch that

I'm guessing that, in Costa Rica, people still respect teachers at least a basic level.

Here, a sizable number of parents and politicians can't wait to see educational professionals replaced by robots.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I... actually don't mind this pick?

I want to shit on Betsy DeVos as much as the next guy, but if the worst you can say about this guy is that he's inexperienced, I'd take that over evil.

I haven't read completely through his dissertation, but he says a lot of stuff that makes sense, as mentioned in the OP (people don't fully understand the costs associated with making student loan payments, schools using this lack of knowledge to raise tuition as much as they can every year, that kind of stuff).

I tried to find more information about the company he runs to see what people say about it, but I couldn't find much of anything for whatever reason.

akira28

I... actually don't mind this pick?

I want to shit on Betsy DeVos as much as the next guy, but if the worst you can say about this guy is that he's inexperienced, I'd take that over evil.

I haven't read completely through his dissertation, but he says a lot of stuff that makes sense, as mentioned in the OP (people don't fully understand the costs associated with making student loan payments, schools using this lack of knowledge to raise tuition as much as they can every year, that kind of stuff).

I tried to find more information about the company he runs to see what people say about it, but I couldn't find much of anything for whatever reason.

this is how they get ya. you forget what competence looks like, years later you're just glad they're not burning homes and locking you up.

Sylas

Population of Costa Rica: 4.808 Million
Population of US: 321.4 Million

It's counterproductive to say, "Well in my country..." when your country has a fraction of our population. Yes, it'd be nice if all of our teachers when on strike. No, it's not physically possible.

Top Bottom