• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone buy CS: Source through Steam?

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
What's it like buying through Steam?

If I was to buy the Half Life Silver Pack, does Valve bind all my CD keys to the one specific Steam account I buy the game through?

I just reformatted my computer and it's running like a fucking champ, and now I can play games that ran like crap before, Counter-Strike Source being one of them.

Maybe an even better question is: When is Half Life going gold so I can buy a physical copy?

Badabing said:
What's it like buying through Steam?

If I was to buy the Half Life Silver Pack, does Valve bind all my CD keys to the one specific Steam account I buy the game through?

Maybe an even better question is: When is Half Life going gold so I can buy a physical copy?

I echo Badabing's questions. I'd rather just wait for a retail copy, but all these CS:S screens are getting me all hot and bothered. :)

Supposedly Vivendi has 6 months after RC to get the game to the market. And because of all the lawsuits with Valve, there's speculation Vivendi will smite itself to get Valve and take the entire 6 months.

shuri

Banned
it is tied to your login name and password. If you reformat, you redownload the 250kb Steam client, log in (think of Steam as MSN Messenger), and it will show you the games you have paid for. You can then start downloading them right away.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
I caved in today and bought the silver pack. Just finished getting CS source a few mins ago and had a quick blast. It seemed really nice and fluid plus it sounds great.

And i just got an average of 76fps on the video stress test not sure whether thats good or not but it sure did look nice.

Hooker

I hope it goes gold tonight, I have 1 week of vacation (autumn vacation)

It'll be perfect!!

And as the others have mentioned. It attaches your cd0key to your steam-account. I can go anywhere, log in with my ID and download all the games I've purchased. I can even share my account with as many peolpe as I'd like, only thing is we can't use the ID at the same time.

yeah I did

and for those crying about owning a cd / cdkey once you enter the boxed copy cd key it doesnt mean shit if you ever lose your steam account info since that key is now "dead"

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah I did

and for those crying about owning a cd / cdkey once you enter the boxed copy cd key it doesnt mean shit if you ever lose your steam account info since that key is now "dead"

This is a good point. Once the CD key is bound to your Steam ID Account (whether you downloaded the game or bought it at a store), it's all the same. No need for the CD after that, I assume?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Correct.

And yeah, I bought the silver package. Quick, painless, and CS:S is a lot of fun.

So is it actually confirmed that you have to download the Steam crap even if you only want to play HL2 and have the boxed copy?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hasn't it already gone gold? How are there reviews of it if it didn't go gold?

edit - I realise this may be a very naive question...maybe it explains why IGN/GS etc. haven't done their reviews yet whilst some mags have. Boo at those mags, if they weren't using final copies.

SKluck

Banned
FYI, HL2 silver and gold give you access to ALL of Valve's backlog. Everything. So it would be wise to create a new account for HL2 so you could "give" your old HL account to a friend and play on steam together (CS1.6 for example).

Burger

gofreak said:
Hasn't it already gone gold? How are there reviews of it if it didn't go gold?

edit - I realise this may be a very naive question...maybe it explains why IGN/GS etc. haven't done their reviews yet whilst some mags have. Boo at those mags, if they weren't using final copies.

Those reviews were all done at Valve. Writers from the mags got to play HL2 at Valve in Seattle for about 3 days, then they wrote their review. No copies have left Valve expect to VU.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Caved and purchased HL2 silver last night. CSS was alright, but I played with some pubbers. We should get a GA game going. Been playing a lot of CZ though which is pretty fun, yet a bit forgiving in terms of difficulty.

Averaged 81.8 on the stress test! :(

SKluck

Banned
I played for a good 3 hours last night. Office office office. Love that map. Especially with the new physics. Shooting over file cabinets to block doors = ROCK.

epmode

btw, the sixth half-life 2 preload is up now. servers are kinda overloaded at the moment.

this preload consists of the game's map files, so there's really not much else. i expect a gold announcement soon.

akascream

Banned
SKluck said:
I played for a good 3 hours last night. Office office office. Love that map. Especially with the new physics. Shooting over file cabinets to block doors = ROCK.

Damnit.. I can only be obsessed with one game at a time!! Why must they come in packs! Stop it.. I can't take any more!! :(

Hooker

Man, downloading phase6 with 1.4 MBit, HUGE improvement over the 300 KBit from the other files :D

Ravingloon, Steam _was_ crap. It's matured into a nice little program now. No more crashes, 15-minute log-ins and other stuff that works on your nerves, The only thing that needs fixing is the friends list.

I'd say download it again and give it a try (with the old games if you don't want to spend money right away) you'll love it after a while

Hooker said:
Man, downloading phase6 with 1.4 MBit, HUGE improvement over the 300 KBit from the other files :D

Ravingloon, Steam _was_ crap. It's matured into a nice little program now. No more crashes, 15-minute log-ins and other stuff that works on your nerves, The only thing that needs fixing is the friends list.

I'd say download it again and give it a try (with the old games if you don't want to spend money right away) you'll love it after a while

Damn you:) I downloaded it and for the 1st time gave DOD a try. Never played it before because I heard "ultra-realistic" and thought of something like America's Army. But this is the exact type of game I love: semi-realistic, but still tons of fun. Now maybe if I'd ditch my pathological hatred of instructions and learn how to buy shit in CS, I'd even like that. But if DOD is as good as the couple games I've played, I guess I'll be caving to the man and buying the Silver package. I'm still not doing it until it goes Gold and Vivendi announces an actual release date (Cause I'm not paying 60+ to have Vivendi piss around for 6 months to torture Valve for sueing.)

Mike

Okay, sorry for the stupid question, but what is Half Life 1 Source? Is it a graphically upgraded version of the original Half Life?

epmode

the only updated graphics you'll see are the neat water effects and maybe a few other dx9 shaders. someone else will have to make the updated texures/models, unless valve does it themselves at a later date. the other hl source bonus is that it will somehow incorporate hl2's much improved physics code. no one knows precicely how substantial its integration will be.

Hooker

HL:Source will have upgraded graphics and physics. It will not receive the upgrade both CS and DoD have gotten.

About buying stuff in CS, it's really simple. It uses a branch system. 1 branch for weapons, and 1 branch for other stuff (like armor, grenades, bomb defusing kit etc.)

The weapons branch is devided into 5 parts:
1. Pistols - Desert Eagle, Glock etc.
2. Shotguns - Pump action, automatic
3. SMGs (Small machine guns) - MP5, FN-P90 (RCP-90 form GolderEye)
4. Rifles - M4 Colt, AK-47, but also (automatic) sniper rifles
5. Machine guns - Think Rambo ;)

In each of these branches you can choose, or buy, one of these guns. You can only carry one pistol and one primary gun (branch 2/3/4/5) at any given time.

The better the gun, the more it costs. Money is allotted to you when you kill someone or complete the mission. This can be rescueing the hostages or planting/defusing the bomb. This depends on which map you're playing. So if you wanted to buy an MP5 SMG, you would need to press branch 1, branch 3, object 2. (with the standard keys that would be: "b-3-2") You can also use your mouse and the GUI but as you play longer and become accustomed you want to speed this progress up by remembering the combinations.

Things that you need to buy every round as well are "armor and helmet" (branch 2, object 2). It is expansive ($1000) and it doesn't make you a terminator, but it gives you the opportinuty to receive 1 extra bullet before you die. And in a game where 2/3 bullets are usually lethal it can be as big as winning or losing the round. Grenades are also VERY useful. You need some practise to finally get the hang of it (especially flashbangs) but you will have a huge advantage once you do.

Other things you need to be aware of is that headshots will kill instantly most of the time, especially with the higher caliber guns like the rifles and Desert Eagle. When you're moving your accuracy drops drastically (that's why you see everyone ducking as this increases it) and some players have above naturals skills. Thing is, they've been playing this game for 4+ years and know every nook and cranny of it. Stuff like hearing which gun you're using, how many bullets you've shot so they know when to come after you when you're reloading and knowing every pixel of the map (huge part of the game).

Top Bottom