• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did MS stop produing the HD Adapter pack?

bheemer

I went to six stores today from walmart to best buy to ebgames and no one carries the High Definition AV PACK anymore. The guy at ebgames said they had the product removed from their inventory and taht its going to be included from now on in future xboxs

is he full of shit like usual eb employees? also online i cant find the hd pack at ebgames or gamestop.

anyone know anything?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Included in new Xboxs? I think he's lying.

Was it available in stores before? I assume you'd have to order online directly from Microsoft

jedimike

It was discontinued and MS removed all HD capabilities from the Xbox to save money because less than 5% of customers used it... oh wait, wrong company.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jedimike said:
It was discontinued and MS removed all HD capabilities from the Xbox to save money because less than 5% of customers used it... oh wait, wrong company.

zing!

ge-man

jedimike said:

That was 1% IIRC. ;)

That HD pack thing doesn't sound right. A move like this would've been all over the internet just like the GC digital out issue.

It would funny and ironic if MS included it in a future XBox consoles, exactly the opposite of what Nintendo did with the GC.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Try Sam Goody. A few weeks ago, after failing to find one anywhere else, I stumbled upon a Sam Goody that had 4 or 5 of them...for 25% off to boot!

mosaic

go eat paint
Locally, I've never, ever seen the Xbox, PS2, or GameCube component cables at Target or Wal-Mart. Those two stores only seem to stock the RCA and S-Video cables.

I also haven't seen the Xbox or GameCube component cables at my local EB Games or Gamestop -- just the PS2 ones.

But, Best Buy around here DOES stock PS2 and Xbox s-video and component cables. I check out their game section every couple weeks, and they had dozens of 'em at least as of a few weeks ago.

Now, the only place I've ever seen a damn GameCube component cable is on Nintendo.com. Cha ching.

mosaic said:
Locally, I've never, ever seen the Xbox, PS2, or GameCube component cables at Target or Wal-Mart. Those two stores only seem to stock the RCA and S-Video cables.

I also haven't seen the Xbox or GameCube component cables at my local EB Games or Gamestop -- just the PS2 ones.

But, Best Buy around here DOES stock PS2 and Xbox s-video and component cables. I check out their game section every couple weeks, and they had dozens of 'em at least as of a few weeks ago.

Now, the only place I've ever seen a damn GameCube component cable is on Nintendo.com. Cha ching.

Well yeah, Nintendo never sold them in stores.

Pachinko

So nintendo took out the HD cables in newer gamecubes becuase less then 1% of GC owners used them... ? Maybe if you didnt' require a credit card to pay ridiculous mail order prices for them directly from their warehouse , this kind of thing wouldn't be happening.

I actually do own some even though I don't have an HD tv because component still looks better then Svideo and composite. I think next gen, gaming consoles should just have one outlet on the back, you use the included composite cables just like always or you buy a single adaptor with svideo, component , co-axial and optical outputs , then buy the cords yourself.

ge-man

Pachinko said:
I actually do own some even though I don't have an HD tv because component still looks better then Svideo and composite. I think next gen, gaming consoles should just have one outlet on the back, you use the included composite cables just like always or you buy a single adaptor with svideo, component , co-axial and optical outputs , then buy the cords yourself.

That was Nintendo's main mistake. They went with a digital out as opposed to having every thing go through the analog out. Thus we ended up paying more for cables with DACs as well as not seeing any 3rd party alternatives available at brick and mortars.

Vormund

Well I might as well ask here. :)

I just got a TV with component inputs, is it worth getting a component cable for the PS2 and Xbox?

I'm currently using S-Video for both those and using (eep) composite for my GameCube since PAL cubes don't support s-video.

jedimike

Vormund said:
Well I might as well ask here. :)

I just got a TV with component inputs, is it worth getting a component cable for the PS2 and Xbox?

I'm currently using S-Video for both those and using (eep) composite for my GameCube since PAL cubes don't support s-video.

HDTV = most definitely, 480P

Otherwise, only if your a home theater enthusiast. The improvement for component 480i over s-video 480i probably isn't worth the price of admission.

KingV

I bought one at the gamestop down the road last week. That gamestop is barely 6 months old, so I doubt it's some kind of legacy HD packs just sitting around.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Vormund said:

s-video on the GC sucks.. so no loss there.. but component is amazing.. GET IT. NOW

manngc said:
A co-worker had the same exact problem. Go to CompUSA, they should have plenty

Word. Found mine there after going to a Fry's, 2 Circuit Cities, a Best Buy, and calling a bunch of local GameStops and EBGames earlier this week.

I was very close to buying either a 3rd party no-name XBox component cable or bling it with the too-expensive Monster Cable one at Fry's.

I couldn't find the HD adapter anywhere I looked so I broke down and ended up buying the monster cable one. I'm not sure if it was worth the extra 30 bucks or not but MS's HD pack was nowhere to be found. Normally I probably would've just ordered the cheaper MS version but I just got a new 51" HDTV and I was a little too eager to get home to try it out. Speaking of which, I never new Amped 2 looked so fucking gorgeous. 720p baby!

Top Bottom