• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Cable... oh god why did I shun you till now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

I didn't realize how cheap it was to buy a digital box (like 60cdn and you get a month of every channel open and 12 PPV/On Demand credits) and then starting next month it'll be $10 a month for 10 specialty channels. Already NHL Network and the Sportsnet package is a definite, and Lonestar, TechTV and the Mystery channel all look pretty good. I'm going to try to convince my wife into picking TechTV as one of her picks...

And On Demand fucking rocks - cheaper than renting a movie at blockbuster and I get it for 24 hours? I'm pleased to see they have a fair bit of anime available... anyone know anything about "Birth" (The planet Aqualoid was once home to a prosperous and advance race, but an invading army of mechanical monsters, the Inorganics, has reduced it to a wasteland)? The top 10 Adult On Demand titles are if nothing else an informative and chilling look into how much the good people of Winnipeg like their buttsekz.

And it's all a surprisingly better picture and sound even on my shitty old TV. I'm regretting not dropping a few more bucks on the upgraded 5Mb down / 1Mb up cable modem package.

neptunes

where do you live?

if in canada, shaw and/or Rogers and demand rocks and the Movie Network on Demand rocks even more!

but it's a shame the HD channles aren't free :D

Mugen

Banned
Where did you get the Digital Box? Maan, we were offered one but it's just as expensive as our normal cable bill which is $50. So we didn't really make a switch, too much of a hassle for not a lot of difference if you know what I mean.

calder said:
I didn't realize how cheap it was to buy a digital box (like 60cdn and you get a month of every channel open and 12 PPV/On Demand credits) and then starting next month it'll be $10 a month for 10 specialty channels. Already NHL Network and the Sportsnet package is a definite, and Lonestar, TechTV and the Mystery channel all look pretty good. I'm going to try to convince my wife into picking TechTV as one of her picks...

Canadian TechTV is kinda sucky, from what I've heard. CRTC rules prevent them from airing any anime like the US version was doing.

NHL seems like either a dumb choice or an emergency care package (guessing the latter!)

But yeah, if you can handle the terminal cost, its pretty cool. Some of the channels on the digital side are worth getting (in one particular case, you can get an eastern time zone channel that carries '24' for 7pm est viewing). Last time I looked, the price advantage really comes into play if you're paying for internet too, as the cable, digital cable, and internet bill all get wrapped up into one fee.

HDTV support kinda sucks, though. The terminal for HDTV support is brutally expensive, there is only a handful of HD channels, and the cost isn't pretty either.

about "Birth"

Really shitty. I think some of the ADV anime on demand selection is supposed to be good, though, so try keeping an eye on the rest of the list.

And it's all a surprisingly better picture and sound even on my shitty old TV. I'm regretting not dropping a few more bucks on the upgraded 5Mb down / 1Mb up cable modem package.

The 5/1 package is the best money I've ever spent when it comes to internet access. Sure, regular internet service doesn't seem any better, but Bittorrent and HTTP large downloads are a hell of a lot better than my old pre-docsis modem solution. Plus, if you need to turn into a transfer-whore for awhile, your ass is covered for 50GB before you're eligible for random transfer checks.

calder

Ahh, I don't have HDTV so the suckiness of their HD packages isn't a biggie. Thanks for the headsup on 'Birth', I might just get one of the scifi/martial arts flicks OnDemand instead. Anyone know if Princess Blade was any good? I remember seeing a trailer some months ago.

Yeah, I get shaw internet too, it's only an extra $10 a month to get the upgraded internet but I just didn't want to bother with another modem and a digital terminal. Turns out hooking up the terminal and getting it turned on was 15 minutes work so now I really wish I had gotten the modem too. :\ Next month maybe.

NHL Network is great! Replaying last years playoffs all summer is awesome for puck withdrawal (although I have zero desire to see tonights Leafs/Sens game :p), and I like On The Fly during the season. It's great for me since I like just seeing all the highlights and bits of all the games - and with the other regional Sportsnets I'll get a few full games on every night anyway. I still want Centre Ice of course.... ;)

I haven't watched much of it but TechTV seems ok. Wish we had the anime channel but OnDemand has several movies available... Samurai X, Nadesico and and a few Slayers.

Mugen: I got a Shaw terminal here in Winnipeg. If you buy the terminal (like 50 or so) you get a free month and some PPV/OnDemand coupons, then you decide what package to get. I'm not terribly interested in the movie channels, so for me and my wife $10 a month for 10 specialty stations (which includes a half dozen US superchannels like KTLA) is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom