• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Doom + Doom 2: The Classics Return - But Are Nightdive's Remasters Definitive?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A surprise drop at Quakecon, Bethesda has delivered brand-new versions of Doom and Doom 2, featuring a vast array of content, game enhancements, soundtrack revisions and rendering upgrades. And... there's full mod support too! John takes a look at Nightdive's work across PC and all current-gen consoles and answers the question: can console hardware finally handle the legendary NUTS.WAD?

00:00 Introduction - The Challenge of NUTS.WAD
01:16 Overview
02:18 Current-Gen Consoles vs NUTS.WAD
05:55 Software Rendering!
07:28 Key Improvements
08:04 What About The PC Version?
11:07 Movement Interpolation Issues?
11:36 Decent Menu Options
12:02 Soundtrack Improvements
17:10 Mod System Issues
17:40 Legacy of Rust (Machine Games)
18:17 A Game Of Doom Worth Playing

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Nuts.wad is in!
- Nightdive joint and moved to their in-house engine
- 'The most feature rich, best performing version' on consoles
- Available on current and last gen consoles, video is just for current consoles
- 120fps, 16 player co-op, full mod support with a mod and wad browser
- New episode created by Nightdive, Machine Games and ID also added

- PS5/SX/SS run the game at 119 fps when running at 120fps
- Switch has limited curated list of mods, doesn't have access to all the mods on PS5/Series
- Nuts.wad can drop the frame rate to single digits on consoles with base Xbox One showing the lowest frame rate DF has ever measured on the system
- The difference between PS5 and Series versions is down to thread sleeping or code generation

- The entire game is now software-rendered in this version with multi-threading support
- Software renderer helps retain the core visual design and remain faithful
- Some modifications have been made with the PS1 Doom's sky being implemented
- Rendering resolution as high as 4K but can be lowered to original Doom resolution if needed

- Camera rotation deosn't feel as smooth as it should (interpolation issues)
- Camera FoV options present.

- OST has original and remix options with John being a fan of the remix work
- General MIDI, DMX and FM synthesis options also present to make it sound like the OG versions
- There are mods for music as well that can be installed on the console version

- Even though the mod menu includes mods that require Z-Doom, downloading and trying to run them is not possible on consoles right now

PC Corner:
- PC version has no real visual options besides the bare bones settings
- No options like super sampling etc, this port doesn't have the kind of settings that other Doom ports do.
- Mouse movement feels too fast and frame rate interpolation can feel a bit off
- Alex says this version might not sway people away from other Doom ports like the Source version

DryvBy

I finished both on PC and PS5 this weekend. If you couldn't feel the difference between 60fps and 120fps, Doom will change your mind. My PC was 60fps (cheap monitor) and it felt so slow.

noobdoomguy8658

Neo Member
- Software renderer helps retain the core visual design and remain faithful
That's an interesting point, because ports like GZDoom, for example, allow of hardware accelerated rendering to get the new and impressive visuals, while letting you disable the texture filtering and such to maintain the original aesthetics. It's very much a preference, but in my experience, this is the perfect middle ground for lovely visuals and better performance.

The new port is sure nice, but they do have dozens of years of modding to catch up with before anyone can really call it the best.

But nonetheless, very nice to see some love and care after all the years.

nkarafo

This version of the classic games is probably the best of the official ones. But it's still not on par with the homebrew stuff.

I play any DOOM wad with at least these mods:

- Better quality sound effects
- Smooth weapon animations

I consider these standard. I use them for many years now and without them i can't stand the muffled sound of the original and the weapon animations feel like a slideshow. All the sourceports i'm using (GZdoom, DSDA, etc) also have an auto rotating map that allows you to move easily while looking at it without trying to re-orient the controls. This is missing from this release AFAIK.

noobdoomguy8658

Neo Member
Is there a way to play always with a brutal doom mod on all games?
ZDL is probably what you're looking for, if you're using a source port (like ZDoom or GZDoom); you could also probably write a simple .bat file that would include the IWAD and then the WAD(s) and/or .pk3 (or even .zip in some cases) files you need and then drag and drop more WADs on top of that, but that can be annoying if you need a different IWAD.

But if you're talking about the official releases, then I don't know. I'm too used to the source ports.

Top Bottom