• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirecTV and Dish Network customers- I have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

I just found out my already shitty cable company is dropping 2 of my favorite HD channels and replacing them with CSPAN HD and something else. They are getting rid of HD NET and HD Net movies. HD NET is one of my most watched HD channels. I love the weekend concert series and the Infocus programs are great eye candy for my 50" Plasma screen.

Here's my problem: I get a great package deal from my cable company. I pay $125/mo for - local telephone service w/free North American long distance, 8Mb/1Mb internet, and HD-DVR with 120 digital and around 22 HD channels. They don't fee me to death on equipment charges or other bullshit.

I'm trying to decide whether to dump the cable option on my package deal. If I do, then the internet and phone will cost me $75 per month.

I priced both DirecTV and Dish Network yesterday, and it seems like they're both going to be pretty expensive. Dish Network seems to have the cheaper programming packages. I'm not real concerned with digital channels, I just want HD and my local networks. Do either one of them offer the local networks in HD? I could always get them with an antenna I guess, but 1 or 2 of my locals give spotty reception. I've never been able to pick up ABC HD locally and the tower is less than 10 miles away from me. Is there any way to get around all the equipment charges? I need 1 HD-DVR, and 3 regular boxes for TVs throughout the house. They want to charge $5 for each additional box. Do any of you buy the service insurance on your boxes? That's an additional $6 per month. Do they add taxes and other shitty fees on to the price of your bill. After the intro offer on both DirecTV and Dish, I'm probably looking at $80-$90 a month.

shoplifter

It depends on where you live as to whether you'll have locals in HD. Your best bet is to hop over to dbstalk.com and ask there.

JGS

Banned
bill0527 said:
I just found out my already shitty cable company is dropping 2 of my favorite HD channels and replacing them with CSPAN HD and something else. They are getting rid of HD NET and HD Net movies. HD NET is one of my most watched HD channels. I love the weekend concert series and the Infocus programs are great eye candy for my 50" Plasma screen.

Here's my problem: I get a great package deal from my cable company. I pay $125/mo for - local telephone service w/free North American long distance, 8Mb/1Mb internet, and HD-DVR with 120 digital and around 22 HD channels. They don't fee me to death on equipment charges or other bullshit.

I'm trying to decide whether to dump the cable option on my package deal. If I do, then the internet and phone will cost me $75 per month.

I priced both DirecTV and Dish Network yesterday, and it seems like they're both going to be pretty expensive. Dish Network seems to have the cheaper programming packages. I'm not real concerned with digital channels, I just want HD and my local networks. Do either one of them offer the local networks in HD? I could always get them with an antenna I guess, but 1 or 2 of my locals give spotty reception. I've never been able to pick up ABC HD locally and the tower is less than 10 miles away from me. Is there any way to get around all the equipment charges? I need 1 HD-DVR, and 3 regular boxes for TVs throughout the house. They want to charge $5 for each additional box. Do any of you buy the service insurance on your boxes? That's an additional $6 per month. Do they add taxes and other shitty fees on to the price of your bill. After the intro offer on both DirecTV and Dish, I'm probably looking at $80-$90 a month.

I have DirectTV and my area gets HD local programming that just started this season. Last year we had to use antennas.

I love it but it's expensive with the movie channels and 3 boxes. That's the thing I hate more than anything else- the leasing of boxes which is beyond stupid when you have no choice in the matter.

Don't forget that it costs 10 to get HD and HDNet movies is an HD option add-on of about 6 bucks.

DirecTV just launched another satellite that is supposed to add more HD channels or convert SD ones. However, that caused a price hike too.

EDIT- I've never purchased the insurance because the boxes don't break that often. Plus I've been with them for about 6 years now, so they usually will give the box to me for free (Which they should since I'm leasing it).

CrankyJay

Banned
I love my DirecTV. Picture looks crispier (haha) than cable, SD channels look good too. I've already taken advantage of DirecTV's referral program of $100 off ($10 over 10 months) twice, and I have called to threaten to cancel and I got further discounts (and free NHL center ice because of their fiasco with Versus).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom