• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Students Sue Over Med School Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuramu

"Pierce, who has dyslexia and attention deficit disorder..."

"He's flatlining, doctor!!"
"Who is?"

Discrimination is getting out of order, the people who get the job should be the people who are best for the job. If you have a mental disability, then you'll just have to study harder, you shouldn't get handouts.

fart

Savant
not all MDs practice clinical medicine.

that said, i think the examination board has hit the nail on the head. the question is whether their disabilities are severe enough and otherwise irrelevant. ADD is definitely in a gray area here, since its status in medicine currently is also in such a gray area. dyslexia i'm not so sure.

to dismiss this case on the grounds that anyone who isn't superhuman and perfect in every way is unfit to be a medical doctor is fucking ridiculous and exactly the type of bullshit you would come up with ripclawe.

i should add that i know of at least one surgeon with 8 fingers. a very very good surgeon.

fart

Savant
assume for the sake of argument that the law is in favor of the students. is expecting the law to be upheld 'bitching'? i think you're willfully mischaracterizing their actions.

LOOK I TOTALLY IGNORED THE FUNNY THERE SEE MIKE I"M A SERIOUS POSTER

fart said:
assume for the sake of argument that the law is in favor of the students. is expecting the law to be upheld 'bitching'? i think you're willfully mischaracterizing their actions.

Who would you want to be your doctor, someone who can read your chart and diagnose your problem right away? or someone who takes 10 minutes to read your chart and can only do this in a quiet room away from distractions?

(This is just an example, but you get the picture)

fart

Savant
Felidae_Khrall said:
Who would you want to be your doctor, someone who can read your chart and diagnose your problem right away? or someone who takes 10 minutes to read your chart and can only do this in a quiet room away from distractions?

(This is just an example, but you get the picture)
have you ever read a chart? they're fucking illegible anyways. NOT TO MENTION, not every MD practices clinical medicine.

PS, my personal stance on the matter is that dyslexia is probably too much. the student with severe dyslexia is not likely to make it through any conventional medical school

Ripclawe said:
http://www.wtop.com/index.php?nid=106&sid=230993

...there is something about this that bothers me...I just can't put my finger on it...

IMHO, the MCAT is definately a test that really makes you watch your time. It's a huge test, taking the whole day and covers like two years of premed. The amount of reading on the exam is actually quite large too. I mean, if you went through that horrible exam, you too might feel some sympathy.

I've noticed when applying to med school the disclaimers that say that the school has the right to take into account disabilities when selecting applicants. However, I don't think ADD and dyslexia are hardly severe enough.

Well, even in medical school, it's not that unusual for people to get extra years to finish up. IIRC my cousin with cerebral palsy (i think) had extra time to do her SAT's. She's now a 2nd year with a 4.0 in the Bio... which not that many people have after going through ochem and biochem. That test won't be everything to their applications.

Matt

Hey, I happen to have a learning disability (and am also a “genius”,) so I might start to be offended by some of this talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom