• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

MYE said:
Thread needs screenshots

5180310968_19aa08e37f.jpg

New Orleans FUCK YEAH!

WillyFive

V_Ben said:
AFAIK, Willy doesn't claim OT's, he just does them on a sort of "First Come First Served" basis. Sorry man :(

Also, if someone does claim it, I will not make the OT. I always pay attention to the game threads and make sure that somebody isn't going to be doing it already (of course, if they don't say it, I can't know about it).

I am not evil.

Htown said:
This appears in every Wii game thread.

EVERY. ONE.

There can be ten Wii threads for interesting recent/upcoming games on the front page, and in every one of them someone says "HERP FINALLY SOMETHING I CAN DUST OFF MY WII FOR" or "DERP FIRST WII GAME THAT LOOKS GOOD IN THE LAST YEAR AND A HALF" or "HAVEN'T TURNED MY WII ON SINCE MARIO KART" or something stupid like that.

Pay attention or STFU. Nobody cares how dusty your Wii is - that's your problem not the console's.

People who say that don't actually own a Wii.

Willy105 said:
Also, if someone does claim it, I will not make the OT. I always pay attention to the game threads and make sure that somebody isn't going to be doing it already (of course, if they don't say it, I can't know about it).

I am not evil.

I said it in one of the epic mickey threads, but dont worry, I think I would have not finish in time because I have too much work, its actually a little bit of relief, seeing that is also a very good OT. :lol

WillyFive

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I said it in one of the epic mickey threads, but dont worry, I think I would have not finish in time because I have too much work, its actually a little bit of relief, seeing that is also a very good OT. :lol

Then forgive me. :lol

For some reason, instead of one or two threads for Epic Mickey, there are dozens, and each small, so I must have missed it!

markatisu

Can't wait for this game, have it preordered and have been following it since it was revealed

Also OP I pm'd you because you should have put a link to the iPad app Disney released with the digicomics about Oswald

398197653_screen4.jpg

398197653_screen1.jpg

Apenheul

After reading this OT I checked out the local store (The Netherlands) and got the game. The voice acting is all Dutch and there's no way to switch to English *EDIT* Setting the Wii system language to English works *EDIT* but.. for once I actually like the dub. The narrator sounds like the guy who did the Vila Volta ride in the Efteling (theme park).

The graphics are awesome, not because of the tech but because of the painted textures, colors used, and deformed geometry. It's like Sly Raccoon but better. Gameplay wise it starts quite linear and I haven't seen much of the 'playstyle matters' thing so far, only once was I given the choice between getting a treasure and saving a gremlin. Difficulty is decent, and it does contain interesting platform elements but Mickey's jump physics take some getting used to. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hiltz

Epic Mickey
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Happy Holidays.

Apenheul, please keep us posted!

[Nintex]

Apenheul said:
After reading this OT I checked out the local store (The Netherlands) and got the game. The voice acting is all Dutch and there's no way to switch to English but.. for once I actually like the dub. The narrator sounds like the guy who did the Vila Volta ride in the Efteling (theme park).

The graphics are awesome, not because of the tech but because of the painted textures, colors used, and deformed geometry. It's like Sly Raccoon but better. Gameplay wise it starts quite linear and I haven't seen much of the 'playstyle matters' thing so far, only once was I given the choice between getting a treasure and saving a gremlin. Difficulty is decent, and it does contain interesting platform elements but Mickey's jump physics take some getting used to. So far I'm pleasantly surprised.
... no way to change not even if I set my Wii to English?

Peff

[Nintex] said:

It seems each country has its own unique version of the game, so yeah, you'd have to buy it in the UK but it wouldn't have localized subs.

JADS

[Nintex] said:

Yeah, you can. The game has English, French and Dutch VO/subtitles. I am using usbloader and I can select between those three languages. The back of the box also states that the game is in those three languages.

markatisu said:
Can't wait for this game, have it preordered and have been following it since it was revealed

Also OP I pm'd you because you should have put a link to the iPad app Disney released with the digicomics about Oswald

398197653_screen4.jpg

398197653_screen1.jpg

I want to buy the spansih Epic Mickey digicomics and I cant becuase I dont seem to find it, (or exist in the spanish store for that matter)
Had to create a free american account to download the app, and even like that, I cant still buy the comics becuase they cost money.

Is there oter way to read them? Or is the app in the spanish store and for the life of me cant find it?

markatisu

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I want to buy the spansih Epic Mickey digicomics and I cant becuase I dont seem to find it, (or exist in the spanish store for that matter)
Had to create a free american account to download the app, and even like that, I cant still buy the comics becuase they cost money.

Is there oter way to read them? Or is the app in the spanish store and for the life of me cant find it?

I am not sure, you get the 1st comic free and then the rest I paid $3 to buy.

Also NYC Launch Event Details with Warren Spector

On November 30, Disney is celebrating the launch of Epic Mickey for the Nintendo Wii with a consumer event at Times Square in New York.

The event will take place at the new Disney Store and will open its doors at 7 a.m. Fans will get an opportunity to be the first consumers to purchase the game while game designer Warren Spector will be on hand along with other special celebrity guests.

Consumers will be entertained as they wait in line with custom sketch drawings from Disney Epic Mickey game artists, music from the game, “Tales of Wasteland” Disney Epic Mickey Digicomics, gameplay contests and more.

“Mickey Mouse is the world’s most recognizable character,” said Warren Spector, general manager and creative director, Disney Interactive Studios’ Junction Point. “It seems fitting to have a celebration of this magnitude to highlight his starring role in the Disney Epic Mickey video game, as well as his first meeting with his long lost half-brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.”

Apenheul

JADS said:
Yeah, you can. The game has English, French and Dutch VO/subtitles. I am using usbloader and I can select between those three languages. The back of the box also states that the game is in those three languages.

Indeed, I just checked the manual and it says that the game uses the Wii system language settings.

YagizY

Excited about this and DK and they come out within a week of each other!

However, being a huge Disney freak, I was quite disappointed with the special edition. System decals? I'm not 7.

MYE said:
You mean this?
Maleficent-maleficent-2400209-800-600.jpg

I see what you mean, but the characters themselves in that image don't have any gradients on them, they look rather clean and deliberately drawn and it looks gorgeous.

What I mean can be shown with the two screens from this dolphin thread post:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24456715&postcount=1956 . The colors don't really mix well, and even if they do they remind me of how my colors usually ended up being when I tried to paint with watercolor as a child, all muddy and wrong.

It just doesn't look very inviting or exciting at all, and I don't think it's deliberate in this case. It's hard to explain but that's because it's very subjective.

CaVaYeRo said:
And moar artttt! :D

phantom_art.jpg

Nintendo is in charge of the distribution and part of the promotion here in Spain. They've released a very nice PR with lots of references, and it says Walt Disney, the man, once kind of said "there's nothing worse for a good drawing than having an opened India ink tin next to it" :D

Do you know if the epic mickey iphone/ipod app will be released here in spain, the same with the comics?

Joei

This game looks great! I'm really interested in it, just can't get it at the moment. Definitley looking forward to people's impressions on this game.

Burli

Pringo
Amir0x said:
Can't wait. After Kirby disappointment, I'm pretty sure this will salvage Wii gaming for me for the end year :D

Kirby dissapointment? Was Epic Yarn a dissapointment? I'm really out of the loop with Wii games.

Amir0x

Banned
Burli said:
Kirby dissapointment? Was Epic Yarn a dissapointment? I'm really out of the loop with Wii games.

It was the biggest non-Alan Wake disappointment of the year, in my book. Here's my write up, but in short it was the easiest game I ever purchased with actual money: literally for babies, the only Nintendo game I can think of that fits that criteria.

Of course, your mileage may vary... depending on how much you want your games to coddle you. I just want Epic Mickey to erase my memory of it.

Willy105 said:
When figuring out a name, 'making sense' is not that high in the 'importance list'.

A game with a name like Mickey Goes To The Wasteland would make sense, but it certainly isn't going to sell, because it sounds incredibly boring.

But say something like Epic Mickey, and suddenly you have people's attention. It could mean so much.

Mention "Epic Mickey" to someone and they'll likely ask, "Epic Mickey what?" It sounds like a codename. Hell, "Mickey's Epic Adventure" sounds better.

Again, it's a small nitpick, but it woulda been nice if they took a tenth of the creativity they put into the rest of the game into coming up with a better title.

Amir0x said:
It was the biggest non-Alan Wake disappointment of the year, in my book. Here's my write up, but in short it was the easiest game I ever purchased with actual money: literally for babies, the only Nintendo game I can think of that fits that criteria.

Of course, your mileage may vary... depending on how much you want your games to coddle you. I just want Epic Mickey to erase my memory of it.
Beating Level = Gold Medal

WillyFive

Prince of Space said:
Mention "Epic Mickey" to someone and they'll likely ask, "Epic Mickey what?" It sounds like a codename. Hell, "Mickey's Epic Adventure" sounds better.

Again, it's a small nitpick, but it woulda been nice if they took a tenth of the creativity they put into the rest of the game into coming up with a better title.

Mickey's Epic Adventure does not sound better at all. Sounds like a kids game for Game Boy Color.

I think Epic Mickey is a great name.

Shick Brithouse said:
Can't wait for this. Hopefully pick it up at a black Friday deal.

OT title should be "This really is Epic, shitheads".

Maybe something without profanity.

hamchan

Finally, a game I can dust my Wii off for. I feel like this is the first good looking Wii game in the last year and a half. I haven't turned on my Wii since Mario Kart, honest!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I've got $35 in coupons to use on this. :D And then I have another set of coupons worth $35 that I can use on something different.

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
Mickey's Epic Adventure does not sound better at all. Sounds like a kids game for Game Boy Color.

I think Epic Mickey is a great name.

And anyway, his idea of creativity is "Mickey's Epic Adventure"? That's probably the least creative name of all time :lol

ROFL

Hail Britannia
I wanted it to be called Tragic Kingdom
I also kept making the uh, 'bannable suggestion' until Warren banned me. From saying it.

Prince of Space said:

I don't want to offend you, but I will assume that you have no prior marketing knowledge.
I'm not a guru either, but having worked on digital marketing for years now, I can attest that Epic Mickey is quite an attention catcher for a name, and nicely describes the core idea of the game. Epic Mickey could be a brand by itself, Epic Mickey's Adventure could not.

Top Bottom