• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

Shancake

For everyone saying all characters should be allowed in why play set how would you expect that to work?

How could non cars participate in the cars play set when it's all scout racing or visa versa.

Frazley

I am fully in support of the playsets. Keep each world separate and let them collide in the toybox. Card would be weird with humans. Imagine McQueen on a pirate ship. A human in the monster university would freak out the CDC.

Xis

For everyone saying all characters should be allowed in why play set how would you expect that to work?

How could non cars participate in the cars play set when it's all scout racing or visa versa.

I understand why it doesn't work; it just doesn't seem that appealing to me.

When I finish playing through the Cars areas why would I buy any more Cars characters?

Skylanders is kind of like physical Pokemon, you just build your team by purchasing them instead of catching them. In this I don't see the appeal of buying more dudes.

Frazley

From what I have learned, there is a section of each playset that requires all of the characters of that set to unlock.

Each character has special abilities and extra missions for the Toy Box and Playset from what I have read.

I understand why it doesn't work; it just doesn't seem that appealing to me.

When I finish playing through the Cars areas why would I buy any more Cars characters?

Skylanders is kind of like physical Pokemon, you just build your team by purchasing them instead of catching them. In this I don't see the appeal of buying more dudes.

I think I read somewhere that each character unlocked missions specific to that character.

I've pretty much no interest in the game at all but saw a TV advert for it earlier (uk) and it was the first multiplat I've seen advertised primarily as a wii u game

Family Gamer TV have done an unboxing video of the first wave of figurines. I have to say, I'm impressed with the quality. The colours look fantastic and the style is much more appealing to me here than it was when Disney Infinity was first announced. I'd argue that the quality of the figurines looks higher than those of the Skylanders series. I'm interested in being able to compare them side-by-side and see if that's true of the retail products.

I'm excited for this game, but given it's come so close to next-gen, I'm not 100% certain I'm going to be picking it up. If the PC version was shipped same time, I'd have picked it up at launch. If only for the fact that I can still easily play it when I pack up my current gen consoles. Otherwise, I'm sure like the Skylanders series, these figurines will be forwards compatible and I'll be able to use them in whatever form the sequel takes on next-gen systems.

If I buy in at launch, I'll be buying the "Villains" and "Sidekicks" packs, alongside "Violet" and "Dash" single figures and the "Cars" playset. Probably several power packs as well. I'll wait for impressions on what the "Lone Ranger" playset brings to the game and whether it's a fun 6-8 hour romp.

ReaperXL7

Im really interested in this, but I probably wont be purchasing the game until it actually becomes disney infinity. I would mainly be buying it to play with my wife, and daughter, and so they they can play it together. As it stands almost none of the characters near launch are very appealing to them outside of Repunzel, and I think Brave was announced(?) but those characters are not even getting playsets to my knowledge.

I understand the importance of Pixar for Disney, but the problem is that with focusing on that one brand it kind of becomes a sausagefest, and not as appealing to female audiences. I understand lots of girls will like stuff like the incredibles, or Pirates, etc, but when most people I know think "Disney" they think Cinderella, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. It seems many pretty much always think of Pixar as a seperate entity despite being owned by disney, they put in the Lone Fucking Ranger before they even mention a Mickey&Minnie playset.

Game looks awesome, I, my wife, and my daughter are really interested, but the general opinion seems to be that it does need more classic disney.
The brand specific playsets are fine to me because how would Jack Skellington even work in a racing game like the Cars set anyway? Thats what the toy box is for.

They did really miss out though imo by not having a Little Mermaid playset ready to go to tie in with the rerelease of the film this fall.

anglon

I just preordered my TRU exclusive Lighting McQueen and I noticed the promotional code 962213 will not be applied until 8/18. I don't know if TRU charges your card right away or if they wait until shipment like amazon does.

Regardless, that is why the promotional code is not working right off the bat.

Cat Party

I understand the importance of Pixar for Disney, but the problem is that with focusing on that one brand it kind of becomes a sausagefest, and not as appealing to female audiences. I understand lots of girls will like stuff like the incredibles, or Pirates, etc, but when most people I know think "Disney" they think Cinderella, Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and so on. It seems many pretty much always think of Pixar as a seperate entity despite being owned by disney, they put in the Lone Fucking Ranger before they even mention a Mickey&Minnie playset.

I can forgive them for Lone Ranger. They assumed it would have not been a colossal flop. But I'm there with you scratching my head as to why they didn't include one of those classics in the initial run. They really unnecessarily limited the appeal of this thing at launch.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
You're gonna have to buy all the Cars characters to unlock all of the Cars area's Toy Box items, as some can be only obtained with specific characters. This goes for every playset.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You're gonna have to buy all the Cars characters to unlock all of the Cars area's Toy Box items, as some can be only obtained with specific characters. This goes for every playset.

Whereas you only need one Skylander from each element to unlock all the elemental gates in Spyro's Adventure and Giants.

Sorry Disney, I'm getting the game but I don't want to buy the entire cast of The Lone Ranger to unlock a horse or wagon Toy Box mode.

Question: If someone else makes a level with pieces I haven't unlocked, can I still play said level?

If not, that would severely limit this game's potential to those of us who can't afford to buy tons of playsets.

Question: If someone else makes a level with pieces I haven't unlocked, can I still play said level?

If not, that would severely limit this game's potential to those of us who can't afford to buy tons of playsets.

I know that the ones Disney will curate and upload for everyone are playable regardless of your playset ownership. But I'm a little concerned about how it will work when just playing with friends. It'd be super cool if it went by what the host owns and let everyone use what they own while they're in the game... but probably not going to happen. :( I don't want to be locked out completely because I didn't buy the Cars pack or something like that.

Yuripaw

Banned
I know that the ones Disney will curate and upload for everyone are playable regardless of your playset ownership. But I'm a little concerned about how it will work when just playing with friends. It'd be super cool if it went by what the host owns and let everyone use what they own while they're in the game... but probably not going to happen. :( I don't want to be locked out completely because I didn't buy the Cars pack or something like that.

If you're talking about while playing online...I dunno, I bet it's exactly like that. You might be able to join a host's game, and use their toybox items from certain playsets...but I bet you won't be able to spawn those items, or create them yourself. Guess we have to see it in action to know for sure.

I know they've said that the curated levels will allow you to use the content you don't have, but you cannot use them if you want to edit those levels. I'd think it would work in a similar way for MP.

Is there anywhere I can buy JUST the game, without the starter pack? I want this on 3DS and 360, but I don't need duplicate figures or another base station.

Yaari

Ami missing something? All this talk of discounts and crystal characters - I don't see any of that in the UK (as usual).

Same in the Netherlands. We just don't ever get that kind of discount on new items apparently. It really is too bad, especially because of the quantity of all these Disney Infinity items being released at launch.
I really don't feel like buying that much when there is not a single discount given at all.

As for the Crystal characters, they are exclusive to Toy's R Us. I wonder if they will ever find a location in Europe. I definitely hope so.

Is there anywhere I can buy JUST the game, without the starter pack? I want this on 3DS and 360, but I don't need duplicate figures or another base station.

I don't think so. But the word is the 3DS version is completely different from the other versions. I would assume eBay sometime after launch.

Spiderduff

So ready for this game. Here is hoping for decent reviews! Told my little brother (11) that we might have to wake up early to jump on some of these deals. He was more than happy to do it and even told me he was going to suggest that very thing. I think the hype got to him too.

Does anyone know if the portals are console specific?

If it works just like Skylanders, the portal/base is console specific, so you need to buy both starter pack. It would be cool if they also release a game and portal only pack like Giants did, or if the pack-in figures in the 3DS version should be different from the consoles version (like the first Skylanders).

Pre-order the 360 version and all the other stuff. Almost US$ 300 total, crazy me.

Oh man, I didn't do the math right on this one. I didn't realize how many figures there were that aren't in separate packs. For some reason I thought Dash and Violet were in one of the sidekicks packs. Whelp, there goes another $40...

According to executive producer John Vignocchi : “We grant you temporary access to those toys, so you can play inside of the Toy Box that was created with them. We went through so many design iterations and finally came to what we think is the best version for consumers.”

Question is how temporary is the access? One-time only? Limited time usage? How long the game will prompt you to buy the needed sets? Regardless it is cool that they think about it.

source: http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013...oy-box-contests-for-disney-infinity-detailed/

Oh man, I didn't do the math right on this one. I didn't realize how many figures there were that aren't in separate packs. For some reason I thought Dash and Violet were in one of the sidekicks packs. Whelp, there goes another $40...

From my math it is:
- 1 Starter Pack US$ 75
- 2 Playsets (Cars/Lone Ranger) US$ 70
- 2 triple packs (villans/sidekicks) US$ 60
- 4 single packs (two from Cars, two from Incredibles) US$ 56

US$ 261 before taxes and not counting power disks (which I also ordered).

Spiderduff

I have a list. Ready to pick as if I was grocery shopping.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I find extra Crystal McQueen's, I may pick a few up to help some GAF folks out. Also, how do you get the special TRU discs??

jet1911

I

Game looks awesome, I, my wife, and my daughter are really interested, but the general opinion seems to be that it does need more classic disney.

Yep. I would have bought it (my GF would've let me buy it) if the game launched with a classic Disney character like Pochahontas or Mikey/Minnie.

From my math it is:
- 1 Starter Pack US$ 75

Don't forget to add another $13 for the exclusive crystal Cars figure from Toys R Us! Oh, and about a billion dollars on blind buy power disc packs ;)

I'll probably hold off on getting a console version until the PC game is out, and just collect figures and play on my 3DS. Hopefully they're awesome and put it out through Steam. I have a feeling that PC players will create more content.

Ramma2

From my math it is:
- 1 Starter Pack US$ 75

I don't know where you're located, but Toys R Us has a coupon for 20% off which would drop the main pack 15$, and Target is selling the 2 playsets for 50% off as well. Savings of 50$?

From the Toys R Us website it says that the packs come with 2 discs: 1 regular and 1 exclusive. Both are random.

yes, and there is also a TRU exclusive album for the power discs (holds the 20 regular and 10 TRU exclusive discs).

Don't forget to add another $13 for the exclusive crystal Cars figure from Toys R Us! Oh, and about a billion dollars on blind buy power disc packs ;)

I did not forget, but I cannot pre-order the crystal one, I have asked my brother to go to Time Square to pick me one along with some TRU power packs (asked for 12, let's see what I got in the first batch). Let's hope TRU has a decent stock of the crystal figures, my brother can only go there sunday late evening or monday.

I don't know where you're located, but Toys R Us has a coupon for 20% off which would drop the main pack 15$, and Target is selling the 2 playsets for 50% off as well. Savings of 50$?

I am not from US. My brother is in NY until Tuesday, but I cannot pre-order stuff in time to delivery and TRU does not do store pickups for preorders. I have to rely on Best Buy, which does not have those deals (ordered online for store pickup). Sure I am already asking him to go to Time Square's TRU to pick the exclusive stuff and could ask him to pick the rest of the item and save money but...
a) some stuff may be already sold out at the time he goes to the store
b) he knows nothing about this kind of stuff and it would be a hard work for him to pick everything even despite my list with pictures.
c) he is already quite stressed to bring all this stuff to me so the less I bother him the better. A paid store pick-up that he should only enter the store and get out without worries is better than to shop blindly in TRU and worries about deals.

I get really annoyed when not only are there no reviews for the game 2 days before release, but we have no idea when the embargo is even up. Give me something at least. I'm getting it regardless but I still want to read others thoughts on it.

I get really annoyed when not only are there no reviews for the game 2 days before release, but we have no idea when the embargo is even up. Give me something at least. I'm getting it regardless but I still want to read others thoughts on it.

Seananners has a couple good vids up on YouTube. They invited him out to play it early, you should watch them, he thought it was pretty amazing.

Any word on what the odds are for getting the rare power discs in a pack? The three rare ones seen like the best so I'm sure it won't be too easy.

Future Playsets and Characters

igR8NQD1hh5wA.jpg

Future Playsets: Phineas and Ferb, Wreck It Ralph, Toy Story in space, and Nightmare Before Christmas. It is said they will not start releasing these sets until October 2013

Those are really playset or just figures? Toy Story for sure is, but I have the impression that the others are not. Seens that Disney Infinity has only 6 playsets planned (on disc) and anything else would be next years Disney Infinity 2.

Those are really playset or just figures? Toy Story for sure is, but I have the impression that the others are not. Seens that Disney Infinity has only 6 playsets planned (on disc) and anything else would be next years Disney Infinity 2.

Toy story, wreck it Ralph, and phineas and ferb are going to be playsets as far as I know. Nightmare before Christmas is just going to be power disc stuff I think. Judging that frozen also has 2 characters and the movie isn't out yet, I'm assuming that frozen will probably also get a play set because of cross marketing, but that's just a guess.

Where are the reviews for this???

I'm concerned, we are only 2 days away from the game being released, and it was already pushed back 2 months.

We should have some reviews by now, right?

I hope it's not a clunker of a game, I'm having my doubts.

Foshy

Should I get this on PS3 or Wii U? Don't care about Off-TV play too much, is there any word on performance differences yet?

Top Bottom