• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do not post this Blu ray HD DVD crap in Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hollywood studio Warner Bros. is considering bringing their portfolio exclusively to HD-DVD by withdrawing their Blu-ray support, the L.A. Times has learnt.

The rumour comes only weeks after Paramount and Dreamworks went HD-DVD exclusive - a move, which the article claims, was secured by the format´s main manufacturer Toshiba paying the studios 150 million dollars.

Warner Bros. is being courted by both camps and believed to be mulling over a lucrative offer that could bring such popular titles as "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" into the HD DVD camp, according to Hollywood insiders who requested anonymity because the talks were confidential. (...)

Blu-ray is the leader, with seven of the summer's 15 biggest box-office performers headed for exclusive release in its format, including "Spider-Man 3," "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," "Ratatouille," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "The Simpsons Movie" and "Superbad."

Warner Bros., however, could change the balance of power. The last major studio backing both formats, Warner has the leading market share in high-definition disc sales, giving it clout with retail chains.

The HD-DVD Wikipedia entry notes that quite a number of Warner movies are at this time exclusive to the format, among them ´Batman Begins´, ´V for Vendetta´, ´Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines´ and ´The Matrix Trilogy´. The studio´s latest blockbuster title to be announced for home video release, ´Ocean´s Thirteen´, is set to appear on both high-definition formats, though.

If Warner really would side with HD-DVD, then the format is gathering strength at a remarkable pace. The studio withdrawing Blu-ray support would be another huge blow, and most likely the fatal one, to Sony and the PlayStation3.

With Warner selling the most high-definition discs, retailers are sure to side with the studio and follow their decision. Then it would only be a matter of time before Fox and Disney jump ship and Blu-ray, as a home video format, can be pronounced dead. The future of the format is in Warner´s hands.

This story was originally published on my blog if you are interested.

Razoric

Banned
:lol

1911-popcorn-group.jpg

Come get your fresh popcorn everyone. Salt and butter is on the counter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
captscience said:
This rumor was confirmed as being old.
The deal was offered at the same time as the Paramount deal and Warner turned it down.

This is correct.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com

And I'm glad NINTENDO REVOLUTION is up to date on the next-gen formats that none of Nintendo's current consoles can ever support.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i swear i've read this 'believed to be mulling over' news in exactly the same words. and this would fucking suck -- warner has been by far my favorite publisher of high definition movies, and i'd immediately have to find $300 for a standalone hd-dvd player.

djkimothy

chubigans said:
This is correct.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com

And I'm glad NINTENDO REVOLUTION is up to date on the next-gen formats that none of Nintendo's current consoles can ever support.

Yup!

Okay, we've heard back from Warner Home Video this morning. Once again, the official word on the studio's high-def format support policy is there's no change. As it has for some time now, Warner continues to support both Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Just FYI.

dog$ said:
1) Wrong forum.

2) To hell with your blog.
Crisis said:
1) Wrong forum.
2) This smells like Grade-A bull shit.
3) Fuck your blog.
What do you guys want me to do first? Should I fuck my blog in hell or do it before I get there?

Anyway, I do consider this information vital to the fortune of the PS3, so please open your hearts and minds to my point of view. If unable to do so, noone is forcing you to post hate messages... although it´s entertaining, I understand.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Falafelkid said:
Anyway, I do consider this information vital to the fortune of the PS3, so please open your hearts and minds to my point of view.

I would if THE DAMN NEWS WASN'T OLD AND DEBUNKED!

Falafelkid said:
What do you guys want me to do first? Should I fuck my blog in hell or do it before I get there?

Anyway, I do consider this information vital to the fortune of the PS3, so please open your hearts and minds to my point of view. If unable to do so, noone is forcing you to post hate messages... although it´s entertaining, I understand.

The information is wrong, learn to check your sources before trying to increase your post count.

Falafelkid said:

Yes, but its already been proven false, before you even created this thread.

Instant Fail.

Proceed with the cats folks.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Falafelkid said:

It's still false seeing how they just announced a dozen more titles to be released before the end of the year.

Lock this FUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom