• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do scores and reviews dictate your gaming purchases?

AniHawk

Only until last year. It all ended when I bought Mario & Luigi, Jak II, and Viewtiful Joe all within a month of each other.

Metroid Prime was also one of these things. I wasn't expecting it to be good, and all of a sudden reviews *everywhere* called it an instant-classic. I should have stuck with my gut instinct.

Willco

Hollywood Square
TheGreenGiant said:
this was already done last week.

Do a search

I'm too lazy. As a consolation prize, I'll make you an animal out of condoms. Your choice -- dog, giraffe or dog!

Nope, not at all, usually when I read a review, my mind is already made up, I'm only reading it to learn more about the game. I've honestly never considered a review or a score at the time of purchase. I don't get the concern over scores here myself, I buy games they score in the 7s and love them. They just aren't important.

Ranger X

Only me but i allow myself to look at scores to see if it reflects my hype.
If the general difference is too much, i rent the game before buying.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Im more likely to buy a game based on track record of the developer or word of mouth on a game forum..

but sometimes the press will give you an early heads up on a killer game that comes out of left field, like Riddick. Or in the case that all the media starts dogging a game before anyone here can get word of mouth, but there are certainly cases when I think well reviewed games are shit and horribly reviewed ones are awesome.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
StoOgE said:
Im more likely to buy a game based on track record of the developer or word of mouth on a game forum..

but sometimes the press will give you an early heads up on a killer game that comes out of left field, like Riddick.

Same for me.

Jonnyram

Actually yes, they do. If I'm interested in getting a game, then it gets shite reviews, I will reconsider my purchase. It never happens the other way round, though (i.e. buying something I didn't want because it gets 10s everywhere).

cvxfreak

After believing the hype on games like Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe and Mario & Luigi, I no longer let reviews mark my purchases. All the games above are good, but not my cup of tea.

Unison

I am such a whore for review scores... I admit it.

I cancelled my Killzone pre-order based on reviews, for example.

That being said, I'm much more likely to buy a game based on hype from friends and boards like this one.

_Angelus_

Banned
I don put much into media reviews.

For example-Metroid Prime Echoes.

The game could score anywhere from a 1-10 in a ton of reviews and I'd still buy it next year(next year mainly because I'm not in that state of mind to play a huge exploration game at the moment.)

When I've made up my mind its pretty much set. Unless I run into a set of videos that has the game looking and plaing like complete crap,then its rental time to see if I'm ok with the game.

Spike

Not really. I usually pretty much know what I want, and the franchises that I follow, so a review doesn't affect my purchase of those titles.

ElyrionX

Yeah, after Devil May Cry 2, I decided to learn to trust reviews. Any game that I'm interested in these days, reviews do hold some sway over whether I buy them or not.....

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
The content of the review is generally more important then the score, also GAF impressions.

For example I can’t wait for Metal Slug 3 on Xbox to be released within a month in Australia, when you read reviews the content is generally positive despite the scores.

I also agree with ani I was extremely disappointed with Metroid Prime despite the review scores.

Sometimes. I usually go by a combination of word of mouth (so, basically GA) and reviews to decide whether I want to get a game that's on my radar. The only games I tend to pick up solely because of reviews are games I'd otherwise overlook. See: Winter Heat for Sega Saturn (managed Game of the Month in EGM) and RC de Go! for PS1 (Got an 8.0 and glowing review in one of those quarter page EGM review boxes). Generally, I'm going to buy a game I've been wanting even if the review score is kind of low (6-7). For example, Ribbit King got pretty pooey marks, but I still enjoyed it. Anything under 6 triggers a caution switch. Under 5 and I'll probably pass.

bitwise

Banned
the last time though i did buy a game due to its scores (Paper Mario 2), i ended up strongly disagreeing with the reviewers. Game was no "9.2". I agreed more with the gameinformer review (which i saw after I had sold the game).

I also bought that terrible Katamari Damacy on the "hype' people generated here.

Now I am a little more careful with my purchases, i make sure that the subject matter really does interest me before I buy it.

SKluck

Banned
I have never in my entire life used reviews to assist me in purchases.

If it looks interesting and is common knowledge it's good, I'll get it. I suppose word of mouth is more important to me. Nowadays I only buy games I already know will kick ass. Halo, HL, Pikmin, Burnout, Ninja Gaiden, Bloodrayne 2, prince of persia...

Bishman

I don't really use reviews to dictate the games I buy. But if the majority says the game sucks, it sucks. :lol

Then they are games that you will buy no matter what. You just want high scores, because you will feel even better now. Like for instance, I know I will buy MGS3: SE. I don't care what kind of scores it gets, I will at EB, opening day, with my $50 in my hand.

Almost always I'll use reviews. Only a few times have reviews been a little off the mark. Anything 7 and above is generally a really entertaining game.

I almost never buy anything outside of the genres I prefer. I'll respect that a sports game gets high reviews and I'll aknowlege it but I won't buy or play it because I just have fun with sports games.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm spending a lot of money on games, so if I'm not 100% sure about whether or not I should get a title I do allow reviews to be my final guide.

Trevelyon

Not entirely, but they do usually influence my decision more then anything else. Though good, in-depth impressions & buzz of certain games on this forum and others, have been really useful in quite a few of my purchases of late, psi-ops, Riddick & Katamari being great examples of that.

Amir0x

Banned
shuri said:
No, since reviewers do this for a living, they are too easy to corrupt

I agree on some level, which is why I always use Gamerankings in gathering a decent score for any game I'm interested in. Because even if there's 5 or 6 corrupted reviewers, there's no conspiracy theory. Most reviewers aren't giving games a high score because they have a gun pointed at their head or a suitcase full of money waiting in the alleyway. So if Gamerankings average is above a 8.0 on a game and I already was considering purchasing it, I'll probably give it the go ahead.

Top Bottom