• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like ASMR?

Sakura

I like ASMR and it's kind of all I listen to on youtube, but I don't care for the eating sounds or whatever, that shit just kind of grosses me out. For me personally there is legit nothing sexual about it, as lots of the ones I listen to don't even have voices.
But I don't watch western ones, and there does seem to be a lot of kids or young girls in the English ASMR side of thing which is kind of weird yeah.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I have Misophonia so the eating and breathing ASMR is torture. I'd rather be waterboarded than have to listen to someone chew or breathe loudly. Hell, loud breathers over party chat are bad enough. So I don't get it.

I do like watching shoeshine videos tho, to get better with my technique, not so much for the ASMR stuff tho.

Bullet Club

Banned
The real question is what is ASMR ?

Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) is an experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. It has been compared with auditory-tactile synesthesia and may overlap with frisson.

ASMR signifies the subjective experience of "low-grade euphoria" characterized by "a combination of positive feelings and a distinct static-like tingling sensation on the skin". It is most commonly triggered by specific auditory or visual stimuli, and less commonly by intentional attention control.
AKA annoying whispering with clicking sounds.

God Enel

I’ve seen it on twitch so often and I still think what is this shit? It doesn’t sound nice. Like white noise(?). To be honest I think it’s horrible but if people like it, enjoy.

What’s the point of it?

Jae Mara

Not really although I arrived home one night last week after a good bit of drinking and decided to throw some Twitch on. Didnt know people live streamed ASMR but there it is was. Clicked on one of the streams and the streamer had this blue head band wrapped over a binaural microphone. Sounded exactly like the ocean as they moved their hands across the headband. For about an hour I was transfixed, mesmerised... probably because of the drink, I switched to the another stream and they were just clicking an smiling like the above vid. It was awful. Never ASMR again.

Seems some of the streamers also just do relax game streams where they whisper and stuff while playing, I can see how that is relaxing.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
heres a thought.

youtube should put an age limit on children starring in videos, unless with parental consent per video.

or,

age to make an account is 13. age to make an account that can post videos could be 15-18

children making content is kinda like this weird exploitation loophole that tv/film had laws enacted to protect against. dont see why the internet should be exempt from child laws as well.

Last edited:

TFGB

That little girl in the first vid is Carrie.

sissy-spacek-carrie.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im not into it but i can see the appeal. it's the natural result of a generation raised on internet pr0n while also being more alienated from other humans than ever. it's a more acceptable form of a body pillow.

lil puff

Is this that sort of tingly sensation you get when you get a sudden shock of happiness?

Like someone falls on the street and 10 people rush over to help them up, it makes me tingle. Or maybe a happy ending in a film.

If so, I have never associated that with sounds or haircuts. I never knew that was even a thing, and it does not work on me. For me it has to be unexpected.

Interesting though.

Kadayi

Banned
I listen to ASMR (stumbled into it from listening to binaural beats a few years back whilst suffering a bout of insomnia) but I can't be doing with that mouth sounds clicking or eating crap. I generally prefer foreign language whispering or decent roleplays. Though in truth I don't actually watch them versus just fall asleep to them.

Stuff like this is my bag (decent earbuds/headphones required): -

Blam

I listen to ASMR (stumbled into it from listening to binaural beats a few years back whilst suffering a bout of insomnia) but I can't be doing with that mouth sounds clicking or eating crap. I generally prefer foreign language whispering or decent roleplays. Though in truth I don't actually watch them versus just fall asleep to them.

Stuff like this is my bag (decent earbuds/headphones required): -

Fucking love Jellybean's videos. I'd say out of anyone here I'd probably be a "Professional ASMR listener". On the sole fact that it is so fucking relaxing listening to a good triggering ASMR video. I basically listen to it every single night and or throughout the day.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Fucking love Jellybean's videos. I'd say out of anyone here I'd probably be a "Professional ASMR listener". On the sole fact that it is so fucking relaxing listening to a good triggering ASMR video. I basically listen to it every single night and or throughout the day.

Yeah, JBGs is the queen of the Otoscope. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't broken 100K subs. She does great Roleplays, and her greenscreen work is impeccable. Easily on a par with ASMR giants like Gentle Whispering in terms of the overall quality.

Blam

Yeah, JBGs is the queen of the Otoscope. I'm honestly surprised she hasn't broken 100K subs. She does great Roleplays, and her greenscreen work is impeccable. Easily on a par with ASMR giants like Gentle Whispering in terms of the overall quality.

That alien one she did a while back. Fuck that was a spectacular one and I swear with other asmr videos I lose the trigger tingles but with that one it always works.

I haven't really gotten into ASMR but there is something weirdly similar that's been on my radar long before it was a trend.

A decade ago I downloaded this MP3 that was supposed to give you a "hypnotic orgasm" without touching yourself, made by this female hypnotist named Isabella Valentine.

She whispers in your ear in this sensual voice but she doesn't do sound effects or anything, just hypnosis instructions (eg "your mind is slipping down a well" etc) though there is this binaural effect that I think is part of what hypnotizes you.

The crazy thing is, it somewhat works, while I've never actually managed to have a full orgasm while listening to it and sometimes it can be a total bust, when you're in the right mood and it works you feel intensely aroused and it actually feels like your penis is being stimulated in this really intense way, it's hard to fully explain but it'll shock the hell out of you.

The trouble is she drags it out way too long, it's about a 30 minute long MP3 in 3 stages, first she simply tries to put you in a trance, then she tries to arouse you and then actually stimulate you, but just when you feel ready to climax it she then "teases" you and drags it out, this is supposed to enhance it but only has the effect of deflating it like a balloon, when this is happening your body wants to tense up (she herself says this) but I always have to relax before the end in which it's then over, if it was a good 10 minutes shorter it might actually work, but she has to pull the stupid dominatrix shit at the end and ruin it.

It's still pretty awesome though and your results may vary, not sure how you can find this now but just Google "Isabella Valentine Jackpot No Hands"

Is ASMR something like that?

Last edited:

Breakage

Do people just sit there and watch these girls? It is supposed to cause the viewer's naughty bits to expand? I don't get it.

brap

Banned
The crazy thing is, it somewhat works, while I've never actually managed to have a full orgasm while listening to it and sometimes it can be a total bust, when you're in the right mood and it works you feel intensely aroused and it actually feels like your penis is being stimulated in this really intense way, it's hard to fully explain but it'll shock the hell out of you.
:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Tesseract

Banned
it's okay, i was into it when it first started booming with the heather feather types

but it got weird with the role play and i bounced

Kadayi

Banned
What does ASMR stand for?

Post 5 in this thread:...

Autonomous sensory meridian response
(ASMR) is an experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. It has been compared with auditory-tactile synesthesia and may overlap with frisson.

ASMR signifies the subjective experience of "low-grade euphoria" characterized by "a combination of positive feelings and a distinct static-like tingling sensation on the skin". It is most commonly triggered by specific auditory or visual stimuli, and less commonly by intentional attention control.

Geki-D

Banned
I like the haircut ones or where they scratch a box or something. Gives me the tingles.

Literally just a girl in her underwear buttering waffles. I might sort of get it if her mic wasn't utter dogshit but if this counts as ASMR then pretty much anything is ASMR. Looks more like foot fetish crap than anything else.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Literally just a girl in her underwear buttering waffles. I might sort of get it if her mic wasn't utter dogshit but if this counts as ASMR then pretty much anything is ASMR.

Unfortunately, since it's gained in popularity there's been a deluge of ASMR channels, most of which are extremely low end. Much like good TV, you have to be prepared to surf a bit to find decent stuff.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Literally just a girl in her underwear buttering waffles. I might sort of get it if her mic wasn't utter dogshit but if this counts as ASMR then pretty much anything is ASMR. Looks more like foot fetish crap than anything else.
Ok I just linked it for the feet. Sue me.

Grinchy

Banned
I used to like videos of people painting and just voicing their thoughts on what they were doing (this brush will create this type of stroke, ect). It helped me sleep.

Nowadays ASMR just means hot girl whispering and tapping on things.

Battlechili

Banned
I like lewd anime ASMRs.
The thing in the OP though is creepy
Like seriously keep kids away from this stuff

Last edited:
i listen to one once to see what the fuss was about and it was just some chick like using one of those make up brushes on a mic. not into it but this seems like a contemporary calming whale call or fucking wave noises thing. you do you brochacho

Dark Star

only ASMR thing i like is the sound of water trickling down a stream/fountain

or the sound of rain slowly pattering a rooftop with soft claps of thunder in the distance rumbling

like this :

lachesis

Noticed this whole ASMR more on cooking youtube recipes. First I thought it was interesting - and also appetizing (all that cracking noise) - but with super saturated color in post that normally follows, just found the whole thing so fake. Now I find them annoying as heck. When I find those, I normally just mute and speed up the video at 2x, only pausing on the next step to see & read the description.

But normally, those ASMR video recipes are not the best. It somehow feels like they are more into taking pretty looking pictures and making excessive ASMR noise than actual food itself.

Makariel

Those vids with the kids are creepy, wtf?

I've discussed that with Kadayi in the past, ASMR videos like the above don't do anything for me, but from what Kad describes it's the same sensation I get from listening to certain types of music.

This is my ASMR:

Top Bottom