• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you use the Oxford Comma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Explanation

Simply put, it's the optional comma you put in a list before the "and"; for example:

Apples, oranges, and tomatoes.

vs

Apples, oranges and tomatoes.

So which do you do? Were you raised by strict teachers who demanded it or what?

DaveH said:
Explanation

Simply put, it's the optional comma you put in a list before the "and"; for example:

vs

It really just boils dpown to my mood at the time. Usually I avoid it.

bjork

I use it before and, because to me, "apples, oranges and tomatoes" means

1.apples
2.oranges and tomatoes.

Ristamar

Error Macro said:
I have always used this "Oxford comma", though I've never heard of it being referred to as such.

Same here. And those that don't use it must die a painful death...... ...Okay, perhaps not.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Though I always catch myself thinking that it is optional. Honestly that is just taking up extra space in my brain.

Zero said:
Hehe, your comma was off in your post though. :D

Ha, yeah I know, but that's another habit of mine. I always put the comma outside of parenthesis; I think it looks better that way. Ignorance is bliss.

Desperado

Error Macro said:
Ha, yeah I know, but that's another habit of mine. I always put the comma outside of parenthesis; I think it looks better that way. Ignorance is bliss.

Quotation marks.

I agree with you though: ignorance is bliss.

DaveH said:
Explanation

vs

that's what i grew up doing, so it's what i always do when doing anything important...

Ceek

Depends on the style you're following. Chicago requires it, MLA requires it, and AP does not, if I recall. Personally, I use it.

Drek

I'm hardcore Oxford comma. No 2 ways 'bout it, the big Ox com just gotsa be bustin' it up in my lists yo!

Oxford comma 4 LIFE! You ain't hardcore unless you live hardcore, and the Oxford comma is fucking HARDCORE.

Desperado said:
Quotation marks.

I agree with you though: ignorance is bliss.

SUNUVA BITCH!

I KNOW WHAT THOSE ARE! I'm having a bad day today. Yes, yes, quotation marks. Major brain snafus are happening today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom