• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Carpal Tunnel Konga syndrome

LakeEarth

Ouch... anyone else wrists hurt really bad after an hour of this game? I'm loving it, but when I have lots of beats where you have to clap and hit a bongo at the same time, it just kills the hand (and rarely registers as two seperate hits in the game)... also sitting with the kongo's in your lap really start to work up the back.

Also (as previously mentioned), any tips on how to hit those drum beats where it's like "HIT CONGO CLAP" overlapping over each other? When I hit the congo, it just seems that the clap doesn't register half the time. I can't really figure it out.

Soul4ger

You don't have to clap. You can smack the side of the bongo. That's how I do some of the faster beats. Use one hand to hit the drum, and the other for the side.

LakeEarth

Yeah I do that. But when I hit the bongo and hit the side of it (or snapping, or getting someone else to clap, or hitting the microphone with my other hand) it seems to only register the drum or the clap, neither both.

Cathcart

That's true for any game.

Don't hit the bongos so hard, it really doesn't take much to set them off. Besides, you can be a lot faster and more precise if you aren't banging on them.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cathcart said:
That's true for any game.

Don't hit the bongos so hard, it really doesn't take much to set them off. Besides, you can be a lot faster and more precise if you aren't banging on them.

Actually I've found that over and over again my hands instinctively curl slightly until I'm just tapping the bongos with my fingertips. I do worse like this, so I have to make a special concious effort to start hitting the bongos with the balls of my hands. It works for about 3 songs, then I realize I'm just tapping them with my fingertips again.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:
Yeah tapping works, but for some reason it sometimes registers as a clap instead of a bongo hit. Weird.
Because you are hitting only the bongo surface and not actually activating the button under it. The mic picks up the sound of the hit but if the button is depressed instantly afterwards it counts as a bongo, thats why it never claps even when the bongo hits are loud (sometimes louder than the claps).

Just make sure you are actually hitting the "button"

LakeEarth

I think I get it. To get the "bongo-clap" to work, you gotta hit the bongo, release the bongo, then hit it. If I hold the bongo down, it doesn't register the clap.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you're never supposed to clap and hit a bongo at the same time -- if the prompts overlap, it just means you have to enter the commands in quick succession.

and i'd really recommend that you stick with clapping rather than tapping the sides of the bongos. clapping is part of the fun of the game, and it's still entirely possible to get golds on the hardest gorilla difficulty songs. i don't think tapping the bongos is cheating, exactly, but it's something like playing a light gun game with your nose pressed against the screen.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I have not tried clapping while holding the bongo button down. Don't have in fron't of me at the moment. =/

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
You might want to mess around with the mic sensitivity in the options menu to see if that helps.

Bog

Junior Ace
drohne said:
and i'd really recommend that you stick with clapping rather than tapping the sides of the bongos. clapping is part of the fun of the game, and it's still entirely possible to get golds on the hardest gorilla difficulty songs. i don't think tapping the bongos is cheating, exactly, but it's something like playing a light gun game with your nose pressed against the screen.

About time someone agrees with me.

M3wThr33

Banned
What? The nose against the screen? If you do that how do you put your finger over the sensor to fool it into thinking you are pointing off-screen to reload? Pfft. Amateurs.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I alternate between clapping and tapping the sides, mostly because it starts to get at what playing the bongos is really like as opposed to just having one way to hit each drum head.

I clap when it is obvious clap track material though.

LakeEarth

I discovered that clap/hit pattern are easy to do but hit/clap are hard... for some reason it matters. But it takes practice to get used to em.

Top Bottom