• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Konga and Taiko drumer (quick question)

B'z-chan

Banned
Have both playlists been released for the the US versions yet? And if so would you mind posting them for comparative sake. I'm trying to find out which one to buy. Unfortunatly its not like i can play either of these games before purchasing. None of the area game stores got Donkey Konga demo's so yeah. Its hard making a choice. But music is important it makes a game like this.

explodet

Taiko:

-- Licensed Rock/Pop: ABC; American Girls; Are You Gonna Be My Girl; Bowling for Soup -- Jimmy Neutron Theme; Girls & Boys; I'm A Believer; Killer Queen; Lady Marmalade; Love Shack; Material Girl; My Sharona; Rock the Dragon (Dragonball Z Theme); Slide; That's The Way (I Like It); The Impression That I Get; Toxic; Tubthumping; Walking On Sunshine

-- Classical: Beethoven's Symphony No. 5; Carmen Prelude; Foster's Medley; Hungarian Dances No. 5; Symphony No. 25 in G Minor; William Tell Overture

-- Namco Original: Don Rangers; Dragon Spirit; Katamari on the Rocks; Ridge Racer; Soul Calibur II Brave Sword, Braver Soul; Taiko March; The Genji and the Heike Clans

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Taiko offers the better package but Konga also has another game using the drums called Jungle Beat which is being released at a later date. Depends on what you want out of sequels.

You use a baton to beat a drum. Harder.
Taiko Drum Master - $59.99 (including a drum and a pair of batons)
Extra Drums - $39.99

You use your hands to beat bongos and clap. Easier.
Donkey Konga - $49.99 (including a pair of connected bongos)
Extra Bongos - $34.99

explodet

Konga:

Diddy's Ditzies
Bingo
Campfire Medley
Pokemon Theme
Kirby Right Back at Ya
We Will Rock You
Like Wow
Wild Thing
I think I Love You
Louie Louie
The Locomotion
Shining Star
All the Small Things
Rock This Town
You Can't Hurry Love
Right Here Right Now
Dancing in The Street
Rock Lobster
Stupid Cupid
The Impression That I Get
What I like About You
Whip It
Busy Child
Para los Romberos
Sing Sing Sing with a Swing
Oye Como Va
On the Road Again
Hungarian Dance #5 in G MInor
Turkish March
DK Rap
The Legend of Zelda Theme
Mario Bros Theme
Donkey Konga Theme

B'z-chan

Banned
Crap they both have B52 songs in it. And some classic songs from 60's kinda era.

Girls & Boys who is that done by? I almost thought it was a Jpop song that i like.

this Jungle Beat? what is it? I've heard of it but not what it is.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
B'z-chan said:
this Jungle Beat? what is it? I've heard of it but not what it is.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514271p1.html

According to some forum members (and a lot of the press) this was considered one of the best games of the show. For one it's an extremely solid platformer that harkens back to the old days, and two, you use the bongos to manipulate Donkey Kong so it offers a unique experience.

If you live on the East Coast you can get hands-on experience with Donkey Konga as well:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14858

The best suggestion I can give is to weigh the song selection, fun of using the peripherals, and the availability and quality of the sequels (meaning how many will sequels will be made and the songs/improvements each one has).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Picture of the Donkey Konga bongos:
244944.jpg

Picture of the Taiko Drum Master drum:
245423.jpg

No matter what game you choose, Namco wins.

B'z-chan

Banned
One quick question are the Japanese games sold seperatly? and do they work with Freeloader and is there any song differance.

Unfortunatly i cant play Imports on my PS2 if i could i would get Taiko but i cant so meh.

So far so good for Donkey konga, taiko i would hope gets some push by Namco at least.

I like the graphics better in Taiko, it seems less like a little kids game.

Plus the classical tunes on hard difficulty are pretty intense.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
B'z-chan said:
One quick question are the Japanese games sold seperatly? and do they work with Freeloader and is there any song differance.
Yes the Japanese sequels are all sold seperately and are available for purchase at a lot of import shops (online and off). I think only the original PS2 release is sold with the drum, I haven't seen or heard of any of the sequels being only sold with the drum.

I suggest giving Donkey Konga a shot before you make your desicion, you may or may not like the bongo style of playing. Hopefully a nice game store manager will allow you to play Taiko upon it's release.

IMO both games are equally as enjoyable and worth the purchase (I've played the Taiko import and the Konga demo). In my case Jungle Beat is what convinced me to purchase Donkey Konga.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
seismologist said:
I like the graphics better in Taiko, it seems less like a little kids game.
Taiko seems much more like a kids game. Which isn't a bad thing at all, actually I prefer the highly animated and colorful look.

Taiko Drum Master:
920594_20040616_screen001.jpg
920594_20040616_screen005.jpg

Donkey Konga:
donkey-konga-20040826024336021.jpg
donkey-konga-20040826024337193.jpg

TekunoRobby said:
Picture of the Taiko Drum Master drum:

If anyone cares, this is not actually the official drum. It's the RedOctane knock-off. It does look almost identical to the real thing, though, so no worries. It could actually be even better than the real thing, as it supposedly has a softer/springier rubber top instead of the harder plastic of the official drum.

BuddyC

Jungle Beat rocks, but it's less of a sequel and more of a platformer that uses the drums.

Both are fun, but I'd guess the Konga drums have more life in them - Nintendo seems to be pushing Konga pretty hard, whilst Taiko will likely come and go with a whimper.

Either way, there are Japanese sequels that you can import. The problem is Konga doesn't like Freeloader, so you have to mod your GameCube in order to save your game....luckily, modding your GameCube isn't that hard (even for someone who has never used a soldering iron before).

If you're looking to get your money's worth, I'd probably go with Konga. Yea, both games have a "WTF Factor" but Konga's is a little higher, plus it supports up to four people and has a better chance of a sequel/more games using the drums.

No matter which way you go, you win.

B'z-chan

Banned

I R WINNER

(dont get started i took meds)

Well i thought it to take Gamerush up on there deal for preordering but my local Gamerush doesnt have Taiko in the computer at all. Konga for Sure is there but not Taiko. I dont have a problem moding my GC i just want to make sure i will be happy. As i'm a single player gamer unless its online which either are so i just have to worry about life as a single player game and how much enjoyment i can have.

BuddyC

That's weird, my Gamerush had Taiko in their system. I just had them search for Taiko and it came right up, complete with accurate price and ship date. I thought they used a central network too, odd. Both games are pretty fun though, so you're set either way.

B'z-chan

Banned
Were talking about blockbuster here man, a place that makes you fill out a account application for each damn store. I think the girl was a ditz so i'll have to find out from there manager (she was manager for the day there today, i mean yesterday) Donkey Konga looks like so much fun.

And Taiko i just want so if i dont like my GF can have it and then all is well with the universe and then she can import the other versions of Taiko from japan that have mini moni and morning musume.

BuddyC

B'z-chan said:
Were talking about blockbuster here man, a place that makes you fill out a account application for each damn store.
What? I've only had to fill out an application once, and I've used my account across multiple states and stores.

B'z-chan

Banned
Yeah i live in a archaic society where man and machine done get along very well. So it could just be my area, but ever story i go to i pull out my card. And they say oh you cant use that here, please fill this crap out.

Belfast

Hint: Girls like Taiko more than Konga! That's, of course, becaus Taiko has mind-bendingly cute characters. I bought her a plush drum for her birthday last year and she absolutely loves it.

Edit: Her = my girlfriend.

Top Bottom