• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't warez Half-Life 2

Tenguman

http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/;13907

Hey HL2 Gamers!

Recently, one of the HL2Files.com members here, alerted me of a pirated warez version of Half-Life 2, apparently released via the Bittorent network. I immediately, forwarded this to Gabe Newell of VALVe Software. [The great man, we should all be thanking for Half-Life 2 big grin ].

A couple of hours later, Gabe replied with the following:

Quote:We're running a bit of an experiment. We're keeping track of the accounts that do this and will be shutting them off.

So, as you can see, VALVe Software have released a test "warez" version aimed at catching people out. These people will have their accounts deleted and will be banned from Steam.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you DO NOT participate in these illegal activities as it would only lead to your own harm.

VALVe Software spent over $40 Million to develop Half-Life 2. Show them you appreciate their work. Buy the game! smile

As the saying goes: BURN YOU WAREZ MONKEYS! LoL!

Spread the word!

Happy Gaming,
~azzkiker
azzkiker@hl2files.com
HL2Files.com Site Admin

Note: "Warez" refers to the illegal pirating of software such as games and applications for distribution on the Internet.

Vark

I don't think the pirates are too concerned about their Steam Accounts if they're pirating the game to being with.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If they haven't released a playable demo or even any kind of benchmark test, how the hell am I going to know if the game even works on my PC? It's bizarre how warez is my only option to see if the game even works, especially for a big game like Half-life 2. I mean, as that article says, they spent $40 million on HL2. How about spending a few dollars to make a demo?

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
This news doesnt make sense does it?

The only possible group concerned are those who cant install HL2,so they pirate it and use it with thier Steam account,but if they have a valid account the only reason not to download it via Steam is its slow speed,so Valve is basicly punishing its users for thier own faults?

atomsk

Party Pooper
i smell something...

bull.gif

smells like bullshit

YARRRRRR
arrr.jpg

SFA_AOK

Kiriku said:
If they haven't released a playable demo or even any kind of benchmark test, how the hell am I going to know if the game even works on my PC? It's bizarre how warez is my only option to see if the game even works, especially for a big game like Half-life 2. I mean, as that article says, they spent $40 million on HL2. How about spending a few dollars to make a demo?

IAWTP

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kiriku said:

Creating a demo isn't exactly simple...

However, they COULD have simply released the Video Stress Test for public consumption...

That doesn't reveal the awful stuttering problems the game has, though.

Burger

Kiriku said:

Your asking for too much.

Valve worked their asses off just to get this game out the door. The game we have waited sooo long for. Imagine the backlash if a month ago they said "Oh the game is totally finished, but we are gonna spend a month or two making a demo, then we will release both at the same time"

Here is an idea, buy the game, or don't. If you wanna wait for a demo, fine, but I can't recall there ever being a HL1 demo. Warezing it because there aint no demo proves you are weaksauce.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:
Creating a demo isn't exactly simple...

However, they COULD have simply released the Video Stress Test for public consumption...

That doesn't reveal the awful stuttering problems the game has, though.

OK, a demo, video stress test, anything. Just so I can get a confirmation of that the game even works on my computer. Not just in numbers, but in reliable enough "reality" as well.

Gribbix

Burger said:

If you wanna wait for a demo, fine, but I can't recall there ever being a HL1 demo.

Actually, there was. Not only that, it was an original level not in the retail version. I'm not complaining though, demos today can take up quite a bit of resources so it doesn't suprise me that there isn't one.

Vlad

Burger said:

Valve worked their asses off just to get this game out the door. The game we have waited sooo long for. Imagine the backlash if a month ago they said "Oh the game is totally finished, but we are gonna spend a month or two making a demo, then we will release both at the same time"

Here is an idea, buy the game, or don't. If you wanna wait for a demo, fine, but I can't recall there ever being a HL1 demo. Warezing it because there aint no demo proves you are weaksauce.

Well, in the PC game market, where there's absolutely no guarantee that something will actually work on your machine, releasing a demo really isn't all that much to ask for. It gives the potential customer an idea how the game will run, if at all. If somebody just goes out and blindly purchases the game, then find out that there's serious performance issues, then they're most likely SOL. I make it a point to only buy PC games from places that will allow a return of the opened product if the thing doesn't work, and the last time I bought a game (probably around two years ago), it was pretty tough to find such a place. I imagine that the situation isn't much better nowadays.

They don't necessarily have to release one before the game, either. They actually did release a demo for the original Half-Life, called Uplink, which not only gave a good look at what the game was about and how it ran, but also was an entirely different area than what was in the original game.

Now, I don't know if Valve has announced any plans for a demo later on, but I don't think it's unreasonable for somebody to want to make sure that something will actually work before spending the cash on it.

epmode

Vlad said:
They actually did release a demo for the original Half-Life, called Uplink, which not only gave a good look at what the game was about and how it ran, but also was an entirely different area than what was in the original game.
yes. i played this for the first time a few months ago. awesome demo. came out well after hl1, as i'm sure you know.

but! zero hour (or something like that,) was out before hl1. it consisted of several segements from the full game. i never played it so i don't know if it was a public demo, or just something distributed to a few in the industry. yknow, to generate buzz.

Vlad

epmode said:
yes. i played this for the first time a few months ago. awesome demo. came out well after hl1, as i'm sure you know.

but! zero hour (or something like that,) was out before hl1. it consisted of several segements from the full game. i never played it so i don't know if it was a public demo, or just something distributed to a few in the industry. yknow, to generate buzz.

I seem to remember there being some big incident over the public release of Zero Hour, although I never played it myself. I think it was either some beta thing that was never supposed to be released, or something like a pack-in with some video cards or something...

I can't remember exactly, but I definitely think I remember the thing not being meant for public consumption.

Uplink, though, was a pretty neat demo, too. I always loved how they ended it, too. A nice change from just having a demo end at the end of a level.

Mrbob

Dark, what videocard do you have and what resolution are you running?

Reason I ask is that I know you have a gig of ram. I only have 512MB PC3200 RAM and I barely get any stutter at all. But I have a 128 MB 9800PRO at 425/385 setting. The most I ever had were a couple during that long boat sequence but everything happens so fast. Otherwise the entire game is running smooth as butter, and I just reached the mines.

I run at 1024 X 768, everything on high with 8AF filtering enabled in game (No AA though I barely see any jaggies at all).

I'm sure Valve will offer a demo eventually. Probably have to sign up for a steam account to get it as well. :p

SFA_AOK

Burger said:

Dickhead.

They can by all means do what iD did - release a demo later on. I'm pretty sure Valve have said that they won't be releasing a demo.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Mrbob said:
Dark, what videocard do you have and what resolution are you running?

Reason I ask is that I know you have a gig of ram. I only have 512MB PC3200 RAM and I barely get any stutter at all. But I have a 128 MB 9800PRO at 425/385 setting. The most I ever had were a couple during that long boat sequence but everything happens so fast. Otherwise the entire game is running smooth as butter, and I just reached the mines.

I run at 1024 X 768, everything on high with 8AF filtering enabled in game (No AA though I barely see any jaggies at all).

I'm sure Valve will offer a demo eventually. Probably have to sign up for a steam account to get it as well. :p

Turn the 2X AA on,it does nearly no impact on Framerate,like 1.5 FPS less.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There is no legitimate reason to pirate software. If you're going to do it, well, there's not much anyone can do to stop you -- but attempting to justify it isn't going to change the fact that it's illegal, unethical, selfish and greedy.

Bristow

Banned
Gribbix said:
Actually, there was. Not only that, it was an original level not in the retail version. I'm not complaining though, demos today can take up quite a bit of resources so it doesn't suprise me that there isn't one.

Not to mention there was an OEM demo before that which was like the first quarter of the game. Playing that is what originally got me excited about the game. Too bad that demo ended up being the best parts of the game.

shpankey

not an idiot
i alwalys pay for games and think everyone should. having said that, if there was ever a game to pirate (and there's not, not even this one) this would be the one... with all this steam bullshit, i so bad want to see it fail and i can't stand the idea of having to log into an internet service just to play a single player game. the problem is the apparent quality of this game (i'm told, as i've yet to play it) is probably going to prevent that. i can only hope though.

FoneBone

Bristow said:
Not to mention there was an OEM demo before that which was like the first quarter of the game. Playing that is what originally got me excited about the game. Too bad that demo ended up being the best parts of the game.
Um... no. Surface Tension? On a Rail?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
guys, I heard that the leak way back when was done by Gabe just to catch the hackers.. if you finished the leaked version of the game, Gabe jumped out of the computer and killed you.

Burger

SFA_AOK said:
Dickhead.

They can by all means do what iD did - release a demo later on. I'm pretty sure Valve have said that they won't be releasing a demo.

Thanks.

I'd rather they put their time to better use. Release the SDK, Episodic Content, Team Fortress 2, DOD: Source.

The game is already going to sell millions, fuck the demo.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i'm running into major stutter playing half-life 2. no frame rate drops, really, just random stutter. i'm thinking it's because i haven't formatted in over a year, though.

Coop

eXxy said:
i'm running into major stutter playing half-life 2. no frame rate drops, really, just random stutter. i'm thinking it's because i haven't formatted in over a year, though.

It could be the sound bug..apparently valve is looking into it

The OEM demo that came out before Half-Life, 'Zero Hour' or whatever, was just the first 4 levels.

It was distributed with video cards and things like that - kind of a low-run demo. It may have made it onto PC magazine cover disks eventually.

Top Bottom