• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 (Xbox) downgraded from "Up in the Air" to "Probably Not"

Plus, first weeks sales of Doom3

Xbox DOOM 3 "Probably" Not in 2004 [8/23/2004 12:08:07 PM ET]

Following up on the recent story in which id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead said that the Xbox version of DOOM 3 is "up in the air" for release this year, Hollenshead now believes a 2004 release is unlikely.

Dampening the hopes of Xbox owners with itchy trigger fingers everywhere, Hollenshead told Reuters on Friday, "It's probably not going to come out this year." He continued, "Back in May, we were kind of hoping we'd have a holiday launch. I'm not sure we're going to get there."

The PC version of DOOM 3 is apparently faring quite well. The title sold roughly 300,000 copies in its first week at retail.

Shinobi

An XBox version would be a waste of time anyway. By the time it's ready, XBox 2 will have shown it's face. Might as well save it for that. That goes for Half Life 2 as well, unless that's halfway done at the moment (which I doubt).

I have the PC version...And although I would normally pick a console FPS over PC...I doubt I'll be getting Doom 3 on the Xbox. PC is enough for me when it comes to Doom 3.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Doom 3 was cool the first run through, but I'm having a "devil of a time" :p trying to go through it again. It's lost its luster. I've actually gone back to playing NOLF after viewing media on Monoliths upcoming F.E.A.R.

Redbeard

Banned
An XBox version would be a waste of time anyway. By the time it's ready, XBox 2 will have shown it's face. Might as well save it for that. That goes for Half Life 2 as well, unless that's halfway done at the moment (which I doubt).

By the time Xbox 2 comes out, noone will care about Doom 3 anymore.

Shompola

Banned
Shinobi said:

agreed 100%

Redbeard

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Or your opinion

Oh shit, I got owned!

youresoowned.jpg

This will cause a problem for id/Activision.

IMHO, this was a guaranteed million seller this holiday, even considering Halo 2 and the lackluster reviews.

Every single FPS was moved out of this holiday season specifically to avoid competing w/ Halo 2 and a to a lesser extent Doom 3. It's still going to sell quite well, but I can't help but think that this will substantially cut down on it's sales.

Shompola said:
agreed 100%

Ditto. I love Vicarious Visions' work, especially on Tony Hawks on the Gameboy, and I was grateful for the Jedi Outcast ports, but this is a harsh call. I'd rather we got late great looking games with some extras than late downgraded ones. If that means next gen consoles then so be it.

I couldn't even imagine playing it with a controller. You wouldn't be able to spin fast enough to hit enemies that jump up behind you.

meh.

garrickk

seismologist said:
I couldn't even imagine playing it with a controller. You wouldn't be able to spin fast enough to hit enemies that jump up behind you.

meh.

They'll have to retool a lot - all of the boss fights will have to have completely different mechanics, IMO.

However, Doom 3 is not about the game. It's about the engine, and what the mod community will do with it. It's a PC entity.

Redbeard

Banned
doncale said:
Fluck Doom 3 on Xbox, bring it to Xenon so that console gamers can have the best Doom 3 experience.

These console gamers don't give a shit about having the "best" Doom 3 experience. If they did, they'd buy PCs to play it.

garrickk said:
They'll have to retool a lot - all of the boss fights will have to have completely different mechanics, IMO.

I think so too. Console FPS games are generally alot slower. The enemies in Doom 3 are quick. They're gonna have to do something to make it alot more console friendly.

I don't buy it when iD says they're still fine-tuning the game and that it mightn't be ready for going gold at Thanksgiving. I've interviewed Todd and Tim on several occasions and their standard "it's not ready yet, we're still tweaking it" response was the most ham-fisted I'd ever heard from them.

This is a tactical decision on their part, and I'm still undecided on whether it'll be for the better. One thing that was painfully apparent to me: they KNOW that it's only worth playing through once or twice, and when prodded on the subject, they KNOW that the co-oop mode isn't going to come close to making up for the already weak multiplayer options - which you can obviously change with a mod on PC, but not on Xbox.

The thing is, if they leave it until 2005, I suspect interest in Doom 3 will have died down considerably, and people will be quite unafraid to speak what's honestly on their minds about what will essentially be an old product.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
sonycowboy said:
The PC version of DOOM 3 is apparently faring quite well. The title sold roughly 300,000 copies in its first week at retail.
What the hell!?!

One of my local TV station had a news report about Doom 3's launch. They interviewed some nerd's nerd, like he was a journalist or something involved in the industry. The geek claimed that "Doom 3 had created a frenzy of anticipation like Final Fantasy does in Japan."

Stupid nerd.

Shinobi

Redbeard said:
By the time Xbox 2 comes out, noone will care about Doom 3 anymore.

I've never cared about Doom 3, so it doesn't matter to me either way. But if this game isn't gonna be done for XBox by March or April, it's going to be a waste of time releasing it. So they should either do a souped up version for XBox 2 (perhaps fixing any of the gameplay faults the current version might have, or substantially upgrading it to "Final Doom" or "Doom 64" like levels), or don't even bother.

Insertia

Am I the only one that knew it was never going to be released in 2004?

I doubted the release date from the moment I heard it.

LukeSmith

sonycowboy said:
Plus, first weeks sales of Doom3

Xbox DOOM 3 "Probably" Not in 2004 [8/23/2004 12:08:07 PM ET]

Following up on the recent story in which id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead said that the Xbox version of DOOM 3 is "up in the air" for release this year, Hollenshead now believes a 2004 release is unlikely.

Dampening the hopes of Xbox owners with itchy trigger fingers everywhere, Hollenshead told Reuters on Friday, "It's probably not going to come out this year." He continued, "Back in May, we were kind of hoping we'd have a holiday launch. I'm not sure we're going to get there."

Why wouldn't you include the year in the thread title? Smells like flame-bait.

I'm hearing it's selling well on PC. I believe they might push the release for the xbox back to sell as many PC versions as they can before the demand goes down.

Celicar

Banned
I wouldn't be too upset if they didn't release it on xbox. After beating it on the pc, I can honestly say it's nothing special. Once you're done being amazed by the visuals, it's nothing but a mediocre FPS.

I was looking forward to a co-op mode on the xbox, but I can live without it.

Top Bottom