• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
because it would be too easy otherwise

The sad thing is that its true. If this thing had proper specs it would be like 10 hours total work. But it doesn't
vTJEmqx.gif

DrPizza

Banned
I have been trying to do one part of a project at work for 10 hours now. The mapping for some integration with a 3rd party service is just a pile of spaghetti. The specs for new work are horrible, the existing stuff doesn't match up with the specs of how they are supposed to work, and no one can give me any useful info. The Project Manager here knows nothing, the old devs who worked on this area have left, the and the project manager at the other company just forwards emails and won't actually answer questions, and has yet to give me real test input, test cases to try for, or acceptance criteria. I'm at the point where is going to just become me making wild assumptions about stuff since no one can give me an answer.

This entire thing is supposed to be done in 5 days
cBj1LTf.png

My basic rule of thumb: all software is shit.

The fundamental issue is that software is an overgrown cottage industry. Everyone does it differently. Nobody knows a reliable process to make it work. There are no effective checks and balances of the kinds found in real engineering. The complexity is beyond human comprehension and getting worse. It's honestly incredible that computers can get anything useful done at all.

Chris R

Not having real specs is the best, because no specs mean no last minute bullshit changes when you show the finished product and it's "Totally not what we had asked for or envisioned" despite the fact that you matched what they asked for to the T.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not having real specs is the best, because no specs mean no last minute bullshit changes when you show the finished product and it's "Totally not what we had asked for or envisioned" despite the fact that you matched what they asked for to the T.

I can't seem to find a guy who will tell me what they envisioned. Its like the guy who ordered the project and the guy who wrote the specs have both quit their respected companies. Like for one part, I'm trying to communicate that unless they can define what "Daily Import" means, this thing will do literally nothing since there will be no data fed into it.

Russ T

Banned
I have been trying to do one part of a project at work for 10 hours now. The mapping for some integration with a 3rd party service is just a pile of spaghetti. The specs for new work are horrible, the existing stuff doesn't match up with the specs of how they are supposed to work, and no one can give me any useful info. The Project Manager here knows nothing, the old devs who worked on this area have left, the and the project manager at the other company just forwards emails and won't actually answer questions, and has yet to give me real test input, test cases to try for, or acceptance criteria. I'm at the point where is going to just become me making wild assumptions about stuff since no one can give me an answer.

cBj1LTf.png

Today I forgot the keyword "typedef" and also all the possible words you could use to describe it and fumbled over that fact for like five minutes straight before my coworker was like "Typedef!" and I was like "yes thank god thank you". What I'm saying is

i feel u

52club

cBj1LTf.png

Welcome to software development, the one place good support is as rare as DOTA.

Syn23

So, what do you guys think is the best Razer mouse to play Dota with?

Apparently they're having a 50% off sale on every peripheral (link).

Id get the cheapest one that seems to be an appropriate size. razer products aren't known of longevity.

You can repair the switches on the blackwidow since they're pretty simple to open up and resolder, though. However my corsair mouse has been going for 2 years with no issues now.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
So, what do you guys think is the best Razer mouse to play Dota with?

Apparently they're having a 50% off sale on every peripheral (link).

I use the Razer Naga but I have the 2012 edition not the one they sell now. It has lasted 2.5 years without issue, using all the side buttons. If you're up for using something new give it a shot, the new model is supposed to be better.

However if you want a better sensor and don't want extra buttons I recently bought the Logitech G303 and love it.

TUSR

Banned
No l mean like, they recommend diff mice depending on your hold. I wanted to know if that actually helps.
whoops, misunderstood

there are mice for your holding style

palming, clawing, etc

I use two mice now, and I change my hand positioning for different games.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Reddit saying people were just spamming the heal on people to increase their rating even if they lost.

Low Tier
Similar to how hero damage used to be the old coefficient for ranked calibration (people could just pick zeus for their 10 games and just spam ultimate every time it was off cd) and you would get ~5k without doing anything

Valve removed the damage portion, but the healing aspect was still kept. Since Oracle has the best hps in the game, people would just pick oracle and follow a hero and spam their e on them until the game ended

So they CAN put people back into calibration. Valve, put me back into calibration.

Put me back in coach. My game "knowledge" is a lot higher than most people my MMR, but I'm in a laughable MMR state due to calibrating before I really knew how to play.

That's really bizarre. I didn't know damage/healing factored into it at all.

Hero damage used to be a huge part of it. Hence account boosters / smurfs would play Zeus and just spam ult. This was what, 2013/14 ish?

Then they patched that, but apparently someone found out hero healing played a large factor in the new calibrations. So they spam Oracle because the heal deals damage, meaning it counts as health restored even if you use it on a full health hero. EZ MMR.

Of course I calibrated by playing support when damage output was more important than heals, so I probably have the lowest MMR of everyone in this thread.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Whhhhhhy isn't can't I ranked Single Draft yet? It's 2016 valve get with the times siiiiigh

the real question is why you still can't swap in sd

in dota1 rd/sd were two of the most popular modes (it wasn't just 90% ap like it is now), and sd was a fkn ownage mode because you could swap. i dont understand

they also ruined rd with the 50 hero bump, it's just mini-ap now. the whole spirit of rd is crafting a somewhat unique/balanced lineup out of a small hero pool and that feeling is pretty much lost, ur just playing AP now minus 1 or 2 fotm heroes but dont worry the other 10 will still be in the pool. they rly should drop the number back down to ~35-40 heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom